The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 22 October 2018, 10:04 AM   #31
Seibei
Banned

Watch: 114060
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBAY View Post
I’m just curious why folks like the Daytona so much?.
1. It is hard to get. Yes, people want things that they are told they can't have.

2. It will be worth thousands of $ more than you paid for it once it is in your hands. (Flippers love the Daytona for this reason.)

3. Some people might like the looks and the chrono functions.

So, lots of reasons to like the Daytona.
Seibei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2018, 10:12 AM   #32
kirksingleton
"TRF" Member

I had two and sold both. I also felt it was on the small side. Both of mine were white face ss.
kirksingleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2018, 10:13 AM   #33
WJGESQ
Banned

Other than solid gold w green dial--not that into them.
WJGESQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2018, 10:15 AM   #34
Wcdhtwn
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD, SD43, GMT2
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBAY View Post
I’m just curious why folks like the Daytona so much?. The watch does nothing for me at any price.
Don't buy one. Your problem is solved.
Wcdhtwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2018, 10:58 AM   #35
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlhaluss View Post
I am very glad that I read through this thread, and saw your post. Having known relatively little about the movement, the facts you mention certainly give me a better understanding of why lots of folks, like yourself, love the watch. It goes for a lot of watches IMO, that even if you are not crazy about the aesthetics at first, you do get a better appreciation of the watch after learning more about mechanical details.

Last night, I saw one in real life. First one in a long time. The gentleman who was wearing it, was good enough to let me take a closer look at it and try it on. Must admit, I was more impressed when I saw how well it wears on the wrist, and the small size.

While it is not a watch that I would be acquiring for myself, I do now have greater appreciation for the model. And that is one thing these forums are great for!

Cheers,
Carl
Glad you found my ramblings useful. The 4130 is underappreciated by itself, surrounded far too much by a watch that in stainless form is too difficult for the average enthusiast to acquire at retail or less. Couple that with a watch that in its entirety has a ton of technological achievements, it lives up to accolades well beyond the typical hype of being hard to get. But, it seems like many just see it as a watch that's an easy flip rather than a solid chronograph.

I forgot to add that it has a longer power reserve than most chronos on the market, especially those with in-house movements. Others exist with 7-8 day reserves but most of those are modified ETA, Valjoux or otherwise.

Glad you were able to try one on recently. It's a great fitting watch. I tried on a white gold about a month ago and almost regret it.
037 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2018, 11:06 AM   #36
vernplum
Banned

Watch: Hulk
I’m just curious why folks like the Datejust so much?. The watch does nothing for me at any price.
vernplum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2018, 11:13 AM   #37
Investr
Banned

Watch: Constantly changes
Quote:
Originally Posted by adawil2002 View Post
Like the Tudor Chrono better than the Rolex Daytona. Yes I have both.
Lol!!!!!! Still lol!!!
Investr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2018, 11:14 AM   #38
np2016
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, Patek, AP,
I never understood the Daytona hype until I got my 116500ln. I absolutely love it and have zero intention to ever not keep it in the collection. Toughest issue for me was getting use to no date.
np2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2018, 11:15 AM   #39
BNA/LION
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: ROLEX
Why do folks like Daytona?

They Look Cool and Rolex makes them!

✦ 28238 President DD 18K/YG ✦ 16610LN SS Sub ✦ 16613 18K/SS Serti ✦ 16550 Exp II Non-Rail Cream Dial ✦ Daytona C 116500 ✦ 126710 BLRO GMT-Master II ✦ NEXT-->?
Hole In One! 10/3/19 DMCC 5th hole, par 3, 168 yards w/ 4-Iron.
BNA/LION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2018, 11:16 AM   #40
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
Quote:
Why do folks like Daytona?
I've raced sail boats off of Daytona and had a blast. The water is warm, the sun is bright, and there are a lot of bikinis...Oh you mean the watch...never mind...

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2018, 11:24 AM   #41
doubleinfive
"TRF" Member

I recently acquired a K serial Daytona through a lay away program with a reputable watch dealer. I've had it on my wrist for over a week and I must say that it is the most comfortable Rolex I've worn. It is also the most accurate Rolex in my collection, running at 0.0 sec/day over the past week.

When I saw this watch at the dealer's showcase back in May 2018, I told the sales manager that this watch has no business sitting in a case, unsold. Didn't take much to talk me into buying it as I wasn't really looking for one. But knowing the hype out there I decided to do a little bit of asset conversion from cash to stainless steel. Five months later, I have the watch. Can't really say when it's going to leave my wrist in the near future.

Just as a side note, when I made my final payment last week, the owner of the store (as relayed by the sales manager) asked me if they could undo the deal. Nice try, I said. The appraisal that they provided for insurance purposes was $$$ higher than what was shown on the final receipt.

I may not have won the Mega Millions but it still feels pretty good.

BTW, when I left the store last week, there was a Hulk and a Batman sitting in the showcase...
doubleinfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2018, 11:27 AM   #42
Roger Lococco
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126719BLRO Pepsi
It’s an attractive and supremely comfortable watch. Highly durable with a lot of history behind it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Roger Lococco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2018, 11:57 AM   #43
breitlings
Banned

Watch: Apple TV
I like chronos and the daytona is one of the best.
breitlings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2018, 12:30 PM   #44
Indepth
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleinfive View Post
I recently acquired a K serial Daytona through a lay away program with a reputable watch dealer. I've had it on my wrist for over a week and I must say that it is the most comfortable Rolex I've worn. It is also the most accurate Rolex in my collection, running at 0.0 sec/day over the past week.

When I saw this watch at the dealer's showcase back in May 2018, I told the sales manager that this watch has no business sitting in a case, unsold. Didn't take much to talk me into buying it as I wasn't really looking for one. But knowing the hype out there I decided to do a little bit of asset conversion from cash to stainless steel. Five months later, I have the watch. Can't really say when it's going to leave my wrist in the near future.

Just as a side note, when I made my final payment last week, the owner of the store (as relayed by the sales manager) asked me if they could undo the deal. Nice try, I said. The appraisal that they provided for insurance purposes was $$$ higher than what was shown on the final receipt.

I may not have won the Mega Millions but it still feels pretty good.

BTW, when left the store last week, there was a Hulk and a Batman sitting in the showcase...

Mind PMing me the AD that had a Hulk in the showcase? Currently on the hunt for one...
Indepth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2018, 12:40 PM   #45
AdamG
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5 digit ref
What is not to like?
AdamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2018, 12:41 PM   #46
opaline460
"TRF" Member

Hypesss
opaline460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2018, 12:41 PM   #47
doubleinfive
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indepth View Post
Mind PMing me the AD that had a Hulk in the showcase? Currently on the hunt for one...
This reputable dealer is not a Rolex AD but they are for the Swatch group. The Hulk and the Batman are pre-owned.
doubleinfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2018, 12:45 PM   #48
Indepth
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleinfive View Post
This reputable dealer is not a Rolex AD but they are for the Swatch group. The Hulk and the Batman are pre-owned.

Info?
Indepth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2018, 01:09 PM   #49
cajerseyboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: me find "the one"
Lots of heritage and it just looks bad a$$.
Old 22 October 2018, 01:13 PM   #50
MesaSean
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126711CHNR
Whenever I see them on other people....I am look wow...that looks sweet. Or when I see pictures of any of them, ceramic, old versions etc. they look great.

One I try them on...they feel too small for my wrist. The GMT/Sub/YMI fits me perfect. The case is a little too small for a watch so busy.

I love them but not to buy now. I might down the road fall in love enough to get one.

2019 GMT Master II 126711CHNR Root Beer
2017 Submariner Hulk 116610LV
2017 GMT Master II 116710BLNR Batman
https://www.instagram.com/mesa_sean/
MesaSean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2018, 01:21 PM   #51
Chiboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
My first decent watch was a Tissot chrono that I got when we were in Europe in 1972. I think chronos are great looking and the white SS Daytona is, IMO, the absolute best looking watch for under $20,000 out there.

I get that you aren't putting down Daytonas, just trying to understand their appeal. If you don't share others' enthusiasm for Daytonas, count yourself lucky. It's like not enjoying 30 year old scotch. It makes your life easier and less expensive and less frustrating!
Old 22 October 2018, 01:23 PM   #52
brucethemanlee
"TRF" Member

Because it is COOL!
brucethemanlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2018, 01:29 PM   #53
Phrank

Watch: ♕
Sheesh, hype is a strange word, I've wanted one of the darn things since 1989, and every time throughout the years I'd ask an AD about one, they would laugh and tell me it was a 7 year wait.

Never forget, thinking $6,000 Canadian was an outrageous amount of money (MSRP) for a watch, but one day I would have one....only took 29 years.....and it still looks essentially the same!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rolex_Daytona_Deck3.jpg (88.2 KB, 410 views)
Phrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2018, 02:01 PM   #54
Tampashooter
"TRF" Member

To me, they are magic. Too small? I’m 6’3 280. Comfort exemplified. I liked Daytona’s before but never had the drive to own one. The ceramic changed that, for me..

Tampashooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2018, 02:01 PM   #55
zengineer
"TRF" Member

I first saw and liked the Daytona years ago before I understood why anyone would ever spend more than $1000 on a watch, much less the $8000 that a nice used Daytona went for back then. Fast forward to a few years ago and I had gone thru a dozen Omegas, Rolexes, and others.... keeping some, flipping others and looked at adding a Daytona. This was still pre-ceramic but now they were bringing $11000 or so. Basically, the price just kept running away from me. Then the ceramic came out and people lost their minds. Suddenly a used pre-ceramic example is $15k, $16k and more.

And I just plain don't like the big black ceramic bezel on the newest version. I don't understand completely changing the look of a watch like that?

I'm obviously in the minority but while the pre ceramic is still a nice watch I'd like to own, Its not $17,000 nice and I can't even get excited about the new one if it was easily available at suggested retail.
zengineer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2018, 02:19 PM   #56
Nikrnic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blnr, Expll, Subs,
I was never a real fan enough to want one. I did try one on and l get the lure of it. Stunning piece. If you want the complication or not it really doesn't matter, it's the style of the piece. I was offered one from my AD but it just wasn't me, even at msrp.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Nikrnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2018, 02:22 PM   #57
Phrank

Watch: ♕
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampashooter View Post
To me, they are magic. Too small? I’m 6’3 280. Comfort exemplified. I liked Daytona’s before but never had the drive to own one. The ceramic changed that, for me..

Agree, never thought the watch was small at all, fits and wears fantastic, I'm 6'4" 230 lbs....it's perfect, never liked wearing a dinner plate on my wrist anyhow....
Phrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2018, 02:39 PM   #58
Tampashooter
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phrank View Post
Agree, never thought the watch was small at all, fits and wears fantastic, I'm 6'4" 230 lbs....it's perfect, never liked wearing a dinner plate on my wrist anyhow....
I’ve got my share of dinner plate chronos. I enjoy them from time to time.

But for pure comfort, wow factor and enjoyment, it’s the Daytona’s and the dj41 for me.

Tampashooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2018, 02:53 PM   #59
ahlee00023
"TRF" Member

They are classics that will never go away.
Old 22 October 2018, 02:58 PM   #60
rominvicta
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: DSSD, BLNR, SM, GM
Quote:
Originally Posted by beshannon View Post
People like what they like.

I like the Daytona because it is comfortable, perfect size for my wrist, has a useful complication and I enjoy owning and wearing it,

Brian, with all due respect, IMHO it looks like DSSD would be more appropriate in size for your wrist. Or at least Sky D.
rominvicta is offline   Reply With Quote