The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Panerai Discussion Forum

Old 2 September 2018, 05:10 AM   #1
Fredrik
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1680
Radiomir dilemma... 610, 210 or 753?

So, I am in the market for a new Radiomir, preferably 45mm and a base model with no seconds hand. I went to my local AD today and had a look at the new 753 and now I can't decide. Theses are my options:

753, new, has solid case back which I like, list for about 4k USD

610, new, says 8 days on the dial(minor bummer), list for 5.6k USD, discounts available

210, used, sandwich dial

The cost would be approximately the same for any of them for me, I haven't tried to haggle on the 753 yet, it has just arrived at the ADs.

Which one would you choose, and why?

I would prefer a sandwich dial, but buying new is always nice. The PR is quite different between the models too, I would like to have 8 days but without it saying so on the dial...
Fredrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2018, 05:16 AM   #2
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y

had it and loved it... best value and aesthetics.
Old 2 September 2018, 05:36 AM   #3
erik asher
"TRF" Member

I love these kinds of posts! You basically summed it up nicely. Of the three, I would eliminate the 610 because of “8 days” on the dial. The 753 is just a great value PAM for the money. And it now has a three day in-house movement, which is great. Also, I absolutely love the strap otcomes with.

The 210 is a classic with a beautiful exhibition caseback of its ETA movement. I also really like the sandwhich dial.

Dollar for dollar, I would go for a MINT 210 over a new 753 as the sandwhich dial would win out for me. But I would be patient and wait for a mint and complete 210.
erik asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2018, 08:38 AM   #4
fullcourt
"TRF" Member

Watch: panerai

chgo_risti on IG
fullcourt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2018, 10:11 AM   #5
carlhaluss
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Explorer 1
Yeah, if the "8 Days" on the dial bugs you, then the 210. The 753 is a beauty, though. I want one myself. I really like the logo on the dial. Bear in mind, though, it does not have a screw down case back like the 210 and 610. One of the reasons it is so reasonably priced. It is, and I was told my the manager of the local Boutique, definitely a cost saving measure. The snap on case back bugs a lot of folks, but it does still have a 100m water resistance. I personally think the 753 is an excellent value. And I do like the solid case back even though it is not the screw in type.

Personally, I would go for the 610, in house 8 days and all. But the ETA movements I have had experience with are all tried and true. And the 210 is the only one with a sandwich dial. I have both sandwich and applied lume dials. It is a fact, far as I can see comparing the two, that the applied lume does indeed glow brighter. Lots of things to consider.

Great dilemma to have and IMO you cannot really go wrong with any one of them.

Cheers,
Carl
Old 2 September 2018, 10:14 AM   #6
mfer
"TRF" Member

232!!!!
member#3242
mfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2018, 10:25 AM   #7
erik asher
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlhaluss View Post
Yeah, if the "8 Days" on the dial bugs you, then the 210. The 753 is a beauty, though. I want one myself. I really like the logo on the dial. Bear in mind, though, it does not have a screw down case back like the 210 and 610. One of the reasons it is so reasonably priced. It is, and I was told my the manager of the local Boutique, definitely a cost saving measure. The snap on case back bugs a lot of folks, but it does still have a 100m water resistance. I personally think the 753 is an excellent value. And I do like the solid case back even though it is not the screw in type.

Personally, I would go for the 610, in house 8 days and all. But the ETA movements I have had experience with are all tried and true. And the 210 is the only one with a sandwich dial. I have both sandwich and applied lume dials. It is a fact, far as I can see comparing the two, that the applied lume does indeed glow brighter. Lots of things to consider.

Great dilemma to have and IMO you cannot really go wrong with any one of them.

Cheers,
Carl
Carl,

Just so you know, I believe the 753 has a driven caseback, not a snap back. The driven case back is in between the screw on and snap back. The snap back is a circular caseback and the driven is the same shape as the screw on, but driven down as opposed to screwed down.

So the new driven case back is defintely a step up from the snap on.
Old 2 September 2018, 11:44 AM   #8
carlhaluss
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by erik asher View Post
Carl,

Just so you know, I believe the 753 has a driven caseback, not a snap back. The driven case back is in between the screw on and snap back. The snap back is a circular caseback and the driven is the same shape as the screw on, but driven down as opposed to screwed down.

So the new driven case back is defintely a step up from the snap on.
I had no idea.
Thank You very much for clearing that up for me. It does actually state "driven" on the Panerai website as well. I just thought they were one and the same thing. Funny thing, you are the first one to clear this up for me, and I really appreciate it. It appears that it is a fact that not many are aware of. When I was thinking of getting this model, I did as much research as I could, and this was never mentioned. It is indeed a step up from the snap on, then. And I can see how it would get the same 100m water resistance as the other models.
Old 2 September 2018, 11:57 AM   #9
erik asher
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlhaluss View Post
I had no idea.
Thank You very much for clearing that up for me. It does actually state "driven" on the Panerai website as well. I just thought they were one and the same thing. Funny thing, you are the first one to clear this up for me, and I really appreciate it. It appears that it is a fact that not many are aware of. When I was thinking of getting this model, I did as much research as I could, and this was never mentioned. It is indeed a step up from the snap on, then. And I can see how it would get the same 100m water resistance as the other models.
My pleasure Carl! Panerai is complicated and nuanced.
Old 2 September 2018, 12:17 PM   #10
nick c
Banned

I’m also with 210
nick c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2018, 12:20 PM   #11
Andad
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Panerai have way too many model numbers Fredrik.

How about some pix of your options next time?

Tks.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2018, 12:30 PM   #12
DahMan
Banned

Who knows , I am completely confused of the numerous variations, bought an Omega
DahMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2018, 04:47 PM   #13
Cru Jones
2024 Pledge Member

Easy: 210.
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2018, 04:56 PM   #14
Fredrik
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Just so you know, I believe the 753 has a driven caseback, not a snap back.
Aha, I was told it was a screw on case back. Damn it. Thank you!

The reason I never posted any pictures was that all three look quite similar and I wanted to avoid answers that just reflected that with a "pick any" response.

I do have a lot more information now and I am glad I didn't just buy the 753 yesterday on spot, it was close!

Regarding the 232, it is nice, but it looks out of proportion on my puny wrists unfortunately. I noticed DavidSW has one on sale at the moment.

Thanks everyone for the responses, i guess it is down to the 610 or 210 now, I have had a hard time finding a really nice 210 in the EU, hence this thread in the first place.
Old 2 September 2018, 05:01 PM   #15
Fredrik
2024 Pledge Member

Oh, I just noticed ErikSzper has a nice 210 for sale. It might be worth the 25% VAT on top of his price for me...
Old 2 September 2018, 07:01 PM   #16
synequano
Banned

Fredrik,how big is your wrist? Don't discredit 232 just because it has 47mm case size as 47mm rad do wear smaller

Personally if I want '8 days' on the dial of a radiomir I'd pick 190

So between 210 and 232 the question will be,do you prefer black or gold hands?

If 47mm is okay,how about cali or slc dial?
synequano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2018, 09:43 PM   #17
Fredrik
2024 Pledge Member

I thought about a cali dial, they had a used 424 at my AD recently, but in the end I want a regular dial without sub seconds(the 190 is otherwise nice).

My wrists are small but flat. I have attached an image of it with a regular 116610. A 45mm Radiomir will reach the edges of my wrists with it's wire lugs, if I go larger I get a bit of air between the strap and the wrist at the lugs and it is neither comfortable nor stylish in my opinion.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Size116610.jpg (95.2 KB, 556 views)
Old 2 September 2018, 09:53 PM   #18
1William
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
I like all three of your choices but would take a step back and go find a 232. Classic watch and can be had for just slightly more than some of your other choices. Also, the 232 is very collectable going forward. I enjoy Panerai and have several friends who are collectors and several have gone over to the discontinued watches. Check it out.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2018, 10:57 PM   #19
erik asher
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredrik View Post
Aha, I was told it was a screw on case back. Damn it. Thank you!

The reason I never posted any pictures was that all three look quite similar and I wanted to avoid answers that just reflected that with a "pick any" response.

I do have a lot more information now and I am glad I didn't just buy the 753 yesterday on spot, it was close!

Regarding the 232, it is nice, but it looks out of proportion on my puny wrists unfortunately. I noticed DavidSW has one on sale at the moment.

Thanks everyone for the responses, i guess it is down to the 610 or 210 now, I have had a hard time finding a really nice 210 in the EU, hence this thread in the first place.

I wouldn’t make a decision solely on the driven caseback alone. Certainly I agree that I would not buy a Panerai with a snap on case back and I think it was a big mistake for Panerai to introduce models with snap on case backs! Panerai listened to its audience and they upgraded from snap on to driven with this year’s intro models (e.g. 753)...the driven is a BIG upgrade...first, from the eye and look, it is indistinguishable from the screw on case back...it’s the exact same shape...what is interesting is that the driven can be lined up perfectly with the case back, whereas a screw on is asymmetrical, for lack of a better term...the driven caseback needs a special tool to open the case, and is much more solid and substantial that the snap on case back...it’s not bad at all and if that is the only thing keeping you from a 753, I would definitely reconsider ...
Old 4 September 2018, 12:53 AM   #20
Ravager135
"TRF" Member

I am not a big fan of the logo on the Radiomir dial. For me, it seems more at home on the Luminor models. The 210 would be a good pick up if you can find one in good shape. It has the older ETA movement, but there is nothing wrong with it. I have owned the 610. I liked it. The "8 Days" text on the dial didn't both me so much. It is nice to wind and wear the watch, put it down for a few days and then come back to it without having to reset it. The only downside to the 610 for me was that it doesn't have a real appreciable sandwich dial. They say it is one, but there is little depth when compared my Radiomir 1940.
Ravager135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 September 2018, 03:31 AM   #21
epc2
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LV,Pam etc.
Quote:
I wouldn’t make a decision solely on the driven caseback alone. Certainly I agree that I would not buy a Panerai with a snap on case back and I think it was a big mistake for Panerai to introduce models with snap on case backs! Panerai listened to its audience and they upgraded from snap on to driven with this year’s intro models (e.g. 753)...the driven is a BIG upgrade...first, from the eye and look, it is indistinguishable from the screw on case back...it’s the exact same shape...what is interesting is that the driven can be lined up perfectly with the case back, whereas a screw on is asymmetrical, for lack of a better term...the driven caseback needs a special tool to open the case, and is much more solid and substantial that the snap on case back...it’s not bad at all and if that is the only thing keeping you from a 753, I would definitely reconsider ...
Excuse my ignorance but what's the difference between the Driven and screw down ? , I don't understand ,I thought there were only srew down and the latest snap on.

Thanks.
epc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 September 2018, 05:12 AM   #22
Fredrik
2024 Pledge Member

I have always been drawn to the sandwich dials and this is what makes me want a 210. But I might end up with a new 610 instead, buying new is always nice and with the discounts available now it is tempting.

I already have a 176 so I am familiar with the ETA movement, but it would be nice to only have to wind it about once a week...
Old 4 September 2018, 07:00 AM   #23
Cru Jones
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by epc2 View Post
Excuse my ignorance but what's the difference between the Driven and screw down ? , I don't understand ,I thought there were only srew down and the latest snap on.

Thanks.
You’re not the only one wondering.
Old 4 September 2018, 09:34 AM   #24
erik asher
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cru Jones View Post
You’re not the only one wondering.
Screw down has a different mechanism to seal the back and the case back usually does not line up with the case so that wording or numbering is assymetrical...the screw down is literally screwed in or unscrewed to release.

The driven requires a tool to release and when placed back on the case, can be lined up perfectly with the back.

Other than the way the case is lined up, there is no difference optically speaking between the driven and the screw down.

The SnapBack is just a circle and one can tell the difference.
Old 4 September 2018, 03:12 PM   #25
Cru Jones
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Screw down has a different mechanism to seal the back and the case back usually does not line up with the case so that wording or numbering is assymetrical...the screw down is literally screwed in or unscrewed to release.

The driven requires a tool to release and when placed back on the case, can be lined up perfectly with the back.

Other than the way the case is lined up, there is no difference optically speaking between the driven and the screw down.

The SnapBack is just a circle and one can tell the difference.

The snapback and driven sound pretty similar and I haven’t read about the driven anywhere else. Interesting, thanks.
Old 4 September 2018, 11:00 PM   #26
epc2
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LV,Pam etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cru Jones View Post
The snapback and driven sound pretty similar and I haven’t read about the driven anywhere else. Interesting, thanks.
Yeah driven sounds like a snap on that has the shape and looks like a screw down.
epc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2018, 04:31 AM   #27
erik asher
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by epc2 View Post
Yeah driven sounds like a snap on that has the shape and looks like a screw down.
The driven is higher quality that snap on and lower quality that screw down. It requires a different tool to open than the snap on and the case back itself is significantly more substantial than the snap on caseback.

So there are definite differences.
Old 5 September 2018, 01:37 PM   #28
carlhaluss
"TRF" Member

Wow! This thread has been an eye opener for me. Thanks again, Erik. Once again, it definitely says "driven" on the Panerai website. Although I am no longer looking at a 753 for myself - at least for now - it seems even more like an excellent, more affordable watch than it did before I learned of these differences.
Old 5 September 2018, 03:52 PM   #29
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
What is this “different mechanism?”

It sounds too mysterious to sign off on.

Do we have a picture or technical description?
Old 7 September 2018, 04:55 AM   #30
Fredrik
2024 Pledge Member

It does sound a bit like a sturdier snap on with the looks of a screw on. It certainly looks like a regular screw on case back.