The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex WatchTech

Old 31 January 2015, 03:21 AM   #1
h_curtis
"TRF" Member

Rolex 1603/0 is in need of service, but cost is high.

Rolex description: Model 1603/0, Rolex 36mm Oyster Perpetual Datejust, engine-turned bezel. Bracelet 78360 SS Oyster, Caliber 1575

I have been wearing my Datejust daily for about 20 years without any issues, other than it runs about 1.8 seconds fast per hour, which I was okay with considering its age. The crown wouldn't stay seated, so I went to my local Rolex dealer and had them have a look. The watchmaker, who has been with Rolex for over 30 years told me to expect a $2,000 bill to get it to Rolex standard. I then called Rolex USA in NYC and was quoted $600 for service plus parts needed over the phone. I decided to send my watch to NYC and have them give a formal estimate. Rolex in NY told me $1,644 without any band work and $2,600 with additional recommendations. I was hoping for a bill under $1,000. Guess I was dreaming. Rolex USA stated: Movement service required, Crystal scratched/chipped, Dial finish not original, Case and bracelet scratched, Bracelet badly worn/stretched, Crown dented/damaged, Watch runs fast (per customer), Hands luminous cracked, Case nicked/dented, Clasp hinge badly worn.

I am uncertain what to do, but I am not spending the $1,600+. If any other information is require, please let me know. I did take it to another local watchmaker and was quoted under $1,000 total for it to be "like new" as he stated, but I was concerned about Rolex parts being used. I have a feeling he was going to send it out considering he wanted 2 weeks, but he did say his watchmaker was "in house". Should I just get the crown fixed locally and hope for the best? I am in Western Pennsylvania if that helps. If I was close to the Rolex School in Pennsylvania, I could drop it by there and see if the students would fix it for the price of the parts, but I couldn't get a solid answer. Too far to drive for that chance. Thanks for any advice.
h_curtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2015, 12:46 AM   #2
h_curtis
"TRF" Member

As I reread my first post on this forum, I guess I am trying to understand a few things. Are there watchmakers that have access to Rolex parts, that would just repair the crown, crystal and hands? Are there watchmakers that could fully service this old Rolex at a better rate? I am in Pittsburgh if that helps. Thanks for any thoughts. Not sure what people do with older Rolex watches that repair cost exceed the watch value? Thanks again for reading my longwinded post.
Old 1 February 2015, 01:00 AM   #3
Lgear080
Banned

There are many watchmakers whom have access to Rolex parts.
Rik, Vanessa, Abc, my friend Patrick at excel, etc... That said, without knowing
Exactly what's wrong with your watch it'd be difficult to compare repair
Values. There is upside to an rsc service - specifically a new 2 year
Service warranty card. Is personally stay away from a watch maker
Without good references.
Lgear080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2015, 05:06 AM   #4
2ar2c1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
If I was close to the Rolex School in Pennsylvania, I could drop it by there and see if the students would fix it for the price of the parts, but I couldn't get a solid answer.
they were probably too busy laughing: the RSC is a separate entity from the LWT, though they share a location.
2ar2c1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2015, 06:20 AM   #5
Floorguy
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Tt datejust 16233
Wow! Give rikki at time care a call!! Great guy, and great watchmaker, many people here use Rikki, including me. He's already serviced 2 for me, and will be sending him my 6694 soon.
Floorguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2015, 02:17 PM   #6
h_curtis
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ar2c1 View Post
they were probably too busy laughing: the RSC is a separate entity from the LWT, though they share a location.
Interestingly, I called them and the secretary was super nice and we had a little discussion and she had me on hold to discuss the possibility with the president. She told me to stop by, but I just figured I would send it to Rolex NYC. I believe they would fix the watch to be honest, but I am too far away to take that chance.
Old 1 February 2015, 02:21 PM   #7
h_curtis
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorguy View Post
Wow! Give rikki at time care a call!! Great guy, and great watchmaker, many people here use Rikki, including me. He's already serviced 2 for me, and will be sending him my 6694 soon.
I was just in Sarasota a couple of weeks ago. If I only knew then.

Not sure what I am going to do with it. Maybe I will just get the crown fixed locally and wear it. Who knows, maybe it will run 10 more years.
Old 2 February 2015, 05:36 AM   #8
aklover
"TRF" Member

H
From a uk point of view a recommended Rolex authorised independent is a great alternative. They won't tear the arse out of the vintage character and won't rip you off. Worth the investment compared to a replacement. Over here a standard service for an air king was £430.00 excluding postage for a very through service, clean and polish. The people on here know who is good.

Ak
aklover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2015, 09:21 AM   #9
rmfnla
"TRF" Member

Watch: TT DJ
Quote:
I was just in Sarasota a couple of weeks ago. If I only knew then.
Not sure what I am going to do with it. Maybe I will just get the crown fixed locally and wear it. Who knows, maybe it will run 10 more years.
Doesn't matter; Fed Ex goes to Florida every day.

Make the effort to send it to him or Vanessa; you won't believe how good it will make you feel when it's only off a few seconds per day instead of per hour...
Old 2 February 2015, 01:55 PM   #10
h_curtis
"TRF" Member

I think my first call will be to Mark Sirianni. He is close enough for me to drive to and seems to have a following. I will just ask him about what parts he has available to him and so-on. If he cannot fix it, I will call the places you folks recommended. It would be nice to go local, if I can and talk to someone face to face. The options in Pittsburgh are a couple of Russian guys.

1. William Penn, which does't seem to have the best reputation. I think they send stuff out.
http://www.williampennjewelers.com/r...pittsburgh.php

2. Yuri's, who has a pretty good reputation for sales and being a pretty good guy, but I don't know about real Rolex service?
http://yuriyjewelry.com/?page_id=124

Thank you very much for all the advice. I will report back what happens, but will be waiting of the return of my watch. If anyone else has more to add, I am all ears. I love this old watch and the only watch I would replace this one with is a Stainless Daytona. I always like those, but maybe a little too bulky? lol
Old 4 February 2015, 04:20 AM   #11
h_curtis
"TRF" Member

I figured I would just update my progress on this watch in case someone is in my situation. Hope that is okay. I called Mark Sirianni and we discussed my Rolex. The approximate price for a full service with a replacement crown/tube (Rolex parts only used), crystal and luminous on hands removed and refinished would be around $400. He was very upfront and told it like it is. When I get my watch back from Rolex USA, I will drive up there and show him the watch in person and we will discuss its repairs in detail. I forgot to mention the clasp being a bit weaker than I would like, but I will discuss it with him when I see him. I will update again. Can't wait to have my watch back in working order.
Old 4 February 2015, 06:41 AM   #12
rmfnla
"TRF" Member

Clasp is an easy fix...
Old 4 February 2015, 09:19 AM   #13
Floorguy
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Tt datejust 16233
Check out storky's video in the vintage forum! Great way to tighten up your clasp!
Floorguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2015, 04:17 PM   #14
h_curtis
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorguy View Post
Check out storky's video in the vintage forum! Great way to tighten up your clasp!
Great video! Thanks, I will do that as soon as I get my watch back.
Old 4 February 2015, 05:24 PM   #15
Wotch Bouy
"TRF" Member

Watch: DeTomaso
you don't have to have everything they list done. If you just want a service just have that done.

My seadweller went in for a new pin on the clasp before Christmas.. they Rolex (UK) came back with a list of things needed doing to it..full service.. chip on glass.. new face.. wear on the strap etc etc. ££££

I said I only want the pin securing ... I had to have a whole new clasp in the end.. £450

I'd only had a service, new face, new glass four years ago too!
Wotch Bouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2015, 02:33 AM   #16
h_curtis
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotch Bouy View Post
you don't have to have everything they list done. If you just want a service just have that done.

My seadweller went in for a new pin on the clasp before Christmas.. they Rolex (UK) came back with a list of things needed doing to it..full service.. chip on glass.. new face.. wear on the strap etc etc. ££££

I said I only want the pin securing ... I had to have a whole new clasp in the end.. £450

I'd only had a service, new face, new glass four years ago too!
This is not true with Rolex USA/NYC. I asked them if it was all or nothing and can I just get things done I want and they said, "no", you would have to get the full service required. I have a feeling they didn't want to fix my watch. Maybe they think I would just buy a new one? Don't know, but I like my old watch. At this point it has more value to me than it is worth to others. Thanks for the reply. Guess the US is a bit different than on the other side of the pond.
Old 5 February 2015, 02:45 AM   #17
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
It always depends on what you want and how close you want it to be to when it was new..

Your RSC quote: "Rolex USA stated: Movement service required, Crystal scratched/chipped, Dial finish not original, Case and bracelet scratched, Bracelet badly worn/stretched, Crown dented/damaged, Watch runs fast (per customer), Hands luminous cracked, Case nicked/dented, Clasp hinge badly worn.", indicates a badly worn watch in need of professional care to get into "like new" condition which is what Rolex strives for.

I'm sure that any good watchmaker can make it look good, but you seem to be shopping price, and price alone isn't always the best long-term option.
Old 5 February 2015, 05:04 AM   #18
h_curtis
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post

I'm sure that any good watchmaker can make it look good, but you seem to be shopping price, and price alone isn't always the best long-term option.
I think when the repair costs on a watch that is working exceeds the value, there is a problem. The overhead on 5th Ave, NYC is pretty wildly high compared to Kane, PA, where you can buy a nice home for $50K, has to be considered. I talked to Mark on the phone and he seemed very knowledgeable with his 37 years experience as a watchmaker, I think he knows watches and can replace the crown/tube with a genuine rolex part. I had some tough questions for him and he seemed very straight forward with answers. I know where he lives and know that part of the country well. It is a very different world in those little towns where if you are a jerk the entire town will know and you wouldn't last very long. I think it is worth me stopping by the place in person and discussing this watch with him. 37 years experience is quite a long time. It wouldn't surprise me if my watch would have been in the hands of someone with a lot less years in the business at Rolex USA.

Anyway, hopefully I will get the watch back from Rolex soon, so I can take a ride up to see Mark in person. This is a thread that I should report back after work is complete and then in a few years from now to see how it REALLY went. I wear this watch every day regardless of activity. Cycling, skiing, working in the yard and more. It is one tough watch and has a very nice long history with me. It isn't so much the money, but the idea of having to replace the face. I foolishly had the face changed to silver from black by Kirk Dial. I like a clean look, but that made the watch not fully original. I am still okay with that. If I feel like it, I can pick up a dial for $200-$400. Not the end of the world.

Thank you for all the advice. I realize my decision isn't going along with the recommendations, but even on this forum, Mark doesn't have a bad reputation. Just not used much. He had one bad comment on the Internet and the situation seemed like more of a customer's not knowing much, but not everyone can please the entire world.
Old 5 February 2015, 01:49 PM   #19
cl206
"TRF" Member

I used Rikki at Time Care and just got my watch back and posted my review! It says a mod must approve my first post!!?!?
cl206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2015, 08:10 PM   #20
jvmartin
"TRF" Member

For $2600 I will deliver you a serviced 1603 any day of the week... I'm talking a whole other watch :-)... Rolex parts are not as rare as you would think. I believe the $600 service charge includes movement parts, but stuff like hands, dial, bezel, band, crown winder, etc. are indeed additional. If your dial has been refinished, you have no other choice than to change it to an original with the RSC.

There are many authorized service centers and even though the parts aren't supposed to be accessible to the general watchmaker community, surprisingly they are. Watchmakers are fraternity and they tend to help each other out... at least the ones that I know.
jvmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2015, 04:26 AM   #21
h_curtis
"TRF" Member

I received the watch back from Rolex. I figured I would post a couple of pictures. As you can see the face was painted by Kirk Dial many years ago. It probably is the original face, BUT painted. Not sure what to do about that if anything. I like the color. I have several days before I ride up to Mark's, so I have been looking for an original silver or some nice dial to give to him for exchange. I don't think it will look better, but not sure. I suspect to most Rolex folks, having a painted dial is a sin!

Oh and I did fix the clasp! Video works like a charm!

Old 6 February 2015, 04:43 AM   #22
rmfnla
"TRF" Member

FYI:

http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=395528
Old 6 February 2015, 08:02 AM   #23
cl206
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmfnla View Post
Wow thanks rmfnla. Im such a rookie I didn't realized I put the post in the wrong folder. No wonder I couldn't find it! Yeah my DJ also has the engine turned bezel! Looks and runs like a champ now!
Old 6 February 2015, 08:17 AM   #24
cl206
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmfnla View Post
Thanks! I found my thread lol! Couldn't find it last night?!?!
I too have the engine turned bezel with a jubilee bracelet. It looks new and runs like a champ now! BTW my dad wears that now. I wear a breitling SO!
Old 7 February 2015, 02:56 AM   #25
h_curtis
"TRF" Member

Pardon my ignorance. Is this the correct crown and tube for my watch? I cannot post on that section of the forum yet. Thanks.

http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=379162
Old 10 February 2015, 03:17 AM   #26
h_curtis
"TRF" Member

Here is the breakdown from Rolex USA/NYC. I am not sure why they didn't email me this?

Factory Movt Serv-pres prf & Crystal $800
Refinish case $0
1xDial Silver, w/g markers L $510
1 x Winding crown, Monobloc $72
1x pair of hands $69
1x second hand $36
Total $1,487.00
Shipping handling $49.50
Tax $107.56
Total $1,644.06

If it wasn't for the face replacement, I probably would have went ahead with it. That $510 was a deal breaker.

OPTIONAL SERVICE ITEM
1x Brac Oys (558) $900
Old 19 February 2015, 12:49 AM   #27
h_curtis
"TRF" Member

Update on progress: Mark has finished my watch and I will be picking it up next week. He decided to post my watch on his blog with my permission. I also realize there are some watchmakers that frequent this site (Vanessa and Rikki) and they would be favored here, but I do feel there are others out there that are very good. I don't want to step on anyone's toes. Not my intent, but Mark was close enough for me to deal with someone in person. Yeah, I care about my old watch that much. Mark had all the parts on hand needed to fix my watch, except the crown which he had access to if needed, but he said the crown was probably fine, it was the case tube that usually goes bad. He was correct. He had a Rolex Submariner apart when I walked into his shop. He is a very straight forward person. Here is his blog report on my situation:

http://blog.watchdoctor.biz/2015/02/...d-watchdoctor/

He took pictures of before and after of my watch, but they only went out to his e-mailing list, not on the blog. Can't wait to see it in person. I think time will tell on this service (pun), and maybe in 5 years, I will update this thread for the final time. Wow, two puns. How corny. If I lived close to either of the two watchmakers that frequent this forum, I would have used them regardless of price, to a point. Rolex price was too high, but I probably would have spent the $800, if they wouldn't have had to change out the face. The band is great and I wanted to keep it. I might look for a silver face if I run across one that I like, but most look pretty dull and lifeless.
Old 26 February 2015, 10:59 AM   #28
h_curtis
"TRF" Member

This will most likely be my second to last post on this. I got my watch back and it looks great. I am very happy. He said it will keep better time now since he adjusted it. Total cost was $250 with tube and crystal replacement as well as new luminous. I would send any Rolex to him other than a chronograph. He doesn't do them. He is very straightforward and just truthful. I told him about a very old pocket watch I have that chimes on the hour/1/2hour/15min and min without even opening it. Talk about a watch, but he said, he wouldn't want to service it. No parts and not worth it. He graduated from watchmaking school in 1972 for goodness sake. That is a long time in the business, so I trust him. He had a few Rolex watches he was working on this time around as well.

My next post on this will be years away, unless someone posts a question. I will tell folks about how everything went long term.

Enjoy.
Old 30 March 2015, 12:27 AM   #29
h_curtis
"TRF" Member

Quote:

My next post on this will be years away, unless someone posts a question. I will tell folks about how everything went long term.

Enjoy.
Okay, I lied a little here, but wanted to post one more followup because it has been long enough to know about how accurate my watch is now. I haven't had to adjust my watch other than for the date at the end of February. In other words, my old Rolex is keeping near perfect time. I can't say it ever kept time like it does now. Thanks Mark for doing such a wonderful job at such a reasonable price. Nice to deal with someone honest in Rolex land. He has a nice blog here if people want to look over the basics.

https://www.watchdoctor.biz/Default.aspx
Old 4 April 2015, 09:43 AM   #30
Rikki
TechXpert

Watch: 5512 s/s Sub
Does Mark have a Rolex parts account?
Rolex Parts Account Holder.
Rikki is offline   Reply With Quote