The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 23 January 2016, 04:51 PM   #91
Tokyo Time
"TRF" Member

Watch: but don't touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relyt View Post
This Oakley........ used a battery, and had NO date, let alone numbers....... Got a great deal on it and hated it immediately. Turned around and sold it on eBay making a profit. The nicest part about it was the hard Oakley Watch travel case ha ha ha ha.

I'm also probably one of the biggest Oakley Fan Bois' you will meet too.
I am also an O nut and one late night after I mixed Crown Royal and the Standard Issue site, this Minute Machine became mine. Massive solid TI with a completely unremarkable Swiss Quartz movement. I actually got more compliments on it than any of my other watches and it came in one of the best hardwood boxes I've had but my Rolex's made it feel cheap and they bullied it out of any wrist time. Just flipped it on the forum.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (68.7 KB, 1308 views)
Tokyo Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2016, 10:09 PM   #92
mr_gray
"TRF" Member

Watch: SMURF
blancpain fifty fathoms. dive watch but strap turned into a mess if i got it wet or sweated. plus no memory of an incident but somehow i chipped the huge bezel. the band was the biggest let down. then resale hurt. the BPFF really made me appreciate the rolex integration of metal bracelet. besides that no real let downs, nomos, old gmt, old dj, omega speedie; all good. jubilee's have been the best thing, i really was pleasantly surprised with them. comfort and looks. very nice.
mr_gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2016, 02:03 AM   #93
AJMarcus
"TRF" Member

Watch: Swiss
Daytona. Underwhelming IMO.
AJMarcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2016, 02:13 AM   #94
bradj
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN 116613LB
Omega Grey Side of the Moon
bradj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2016, 12:15 PM   #95
IGotId
"TRF" Member

Speedy 9300. Too thick & sold after a few months.
IGotId is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2016, 12:36 PM   #96
ICUdR
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokyo Time View Post
This. Bought this Anniversary Seamaster GMT on "sale" for $1999 outbound at Narita DFS many many moons ago and wore it for a long time but never liked the slippery bi-turning bezel and the movement malafunkshun'd completely @ 2 years requiring an overhaul. The red leather box set was impressive at purchase but when I opened it later to sell, it had gotten tacky and stuck to the inside of the cardboard outer box set ripping off in sticky chunks. It made my Rolex boxes look good
I hear you man

I don't understand why Omega keeps making such crappy boxes!!

The red Omega boxes are imposible to keep in good shape, they melt down with time like the bad guys in an Indiana Jones' movie =/
ICUdR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2016, 12:39 PM   #97
ICUdR
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradj View Post
Omega Grey Side of the Moon
Bradj, what didn't you like about the grey side of the moon?

I have the dark side of the moon on my radar at the moment
ICUdR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2016, 01:01 PM   #98
2Redbulls
"TRF" Member

Watch: I give up..
interesting topic.

Watches that underwhelmed me...

Omega Planet Ocean and Seamaster
Vacheron Constantin Overseas Chronograph
JLC Geophysic
Blancpain Bathyscaphe (the non-chrono version)

I can probably think of a few more.
2Redbulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2016, 12:04 AM   #99
el1125
Banned

Panerai Egiazano 60mm. I thought I could be like Sly and rock it. Unfortunately could not..lol. 😱😡
el1125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2016, 04:40 PM   #100
joshuagull
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cervantes View Post
I hear you on these.

The Black Bay sides are grating as is the 22mm lug width, but I think the rest of the watch just about makes up for it.

100% agree. Even with the slab sides and I do agree the 22mm is too big, I think I'll end up with one some day. Like you said, the rest of the watch is so nice I'm almost convinced I can get over those two minor details. We'll see. For now I have a Sub and can't justify a Black Bay next to it because I want a 16570 EXPII Polar so badly, but if the Sub ever goes I'll probably be snagging a Black Bay to replace it.
joshuagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2016, 04:28 AM   #101
Art161
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sundial
In the early 1970s I purchased an Omega chronograph. I think it was a Speedmaster Professional. The issue was that when I used the chronograph and stopped it, the hour hand of the chronograph would jump erratically. Sometimes I couldn't tell, for example, if the elapsed time was two hours or two and a half hours, because the hour hand was about a quarter of the way between the two and the three hour marks, with the minute hand on the chronograph straight up at 0 (or 30). After multiple repair attempts by Omega, I asked for a refund. The store refused until I took them to small claims court and the judge ruled in my favor. Then the store paid.

In 2015 I purchased a BALL Engineer II Red Label chronometer. It's an automatic watch that I was wearing 24/7, but after about two months it stopped. After repair, the timekeeping was not within chronometer standards and after about three months it stopped again. After another repair, the timekeeping was not within chronometer standards, and the watch stopped AGAIN about three weeks after I gave it a full manual wind. This time (different store) they gave me a refund with no hassle.
Member #13992 HM Power to the Superlative Panda, officially certified! HMPanda eats, shoots and leaves.
Rolexers do it with perpetual movements.
Art161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2016, 05:08 AM   #102
denvercenturion
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710 Pepsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Redbulls View Post
interesting topic.

Watches that underwhelmed me...

Omega Planet Ocean and Seamaster
Vacheron Constantin Overseas Chronograph
JLC Geophysic
Blancpain Bathyscaphe (the non-chrono version)

I can probably think of a few more.
What about the JLC Geophysic underwhelmed you? Curious because I was looking into those and its always good to get a variety of opinion.
denvercenturion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2016, 05:49 AM   #103
Fiery
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub-C 116610LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuagull View Post
Omega Seamaster 300 Master CoAxial - I wanted to love this piece so much but it's a mess to my eye. I don't like the polished tops of the lugs, the PCLs on a retro-styled diver or the white seconds hand (should match the other hands). It's a weird combo of vintage flatness and modern bling that doesn't work for me.
+1. I felt exactly the same when I've tried it on. I so wanted to love this piece, and was all set on bringing home the titanium version (blue dial, on bracelet), but I felt very overwhelmed. However, felt completely the opposite about the DSOTM, which I found in the metal even more appealing than on pictures.

And, although this one doesn't classify as a complete disappointment, I also felt underwhelmed when I've tried on the classic DD and the DD2. But I think it's just because I'm used to sports watches, and the semi-sport / semi-dress Rolex watches (DJ & DD family) are simply not for me.
Old 1 February 2016, 07:12 AM   #104
rouxeny
"TRF" Member

For me, it was the Milgauss.

I really wanted the GV to be my first Rolex. Spent a lot of time lusting after it online.

I finally went to try it out, and somehow I was just totally underwhelmed. It was too tall, just didn't make the bond.

I have also felt the same about the Omega co-axial '57 reissue.
rouxeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2016, 11:40 AM   #105
toolr
2024 Pledge Member

Bought a UN Maxi Marine diver from an AD while in Las vegas a few years back, having it shipped to my home the next business day. Went back the next morning and returned it before it was shipped, just had an overwhelming feeling it was a mistake. Bought a Speedster instead and never considered the UN again.
toolr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2016, 11:55 AM   #106
Rockrolex
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: What do you think?
Quote:
Originally Posted by toolr View Post
Bought a UN Maxi Marine diver from an AD while in Las vegas a few years back, having it shipped to my home the next business day. Went back the next morning and returned it before it was shipped, just had an overwhelming feeling it was a mistake. Bought a Speedster instead and never considered the UN again.
UN's US headquarters is in Boca Raton. I once told them (when I brought my GP.ww.tc in there for service - GP has a service center in the UN space) that I did not like UN. The woman I spoke to was quite taken aback.

Tosser Cabinet Member

Official Member: 'Perpetual 30' Vegas International GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2018
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2019
Rockrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2016, 06:04 AM   #107
Passionata
"TRF" Member

Watch: the girls
Funny that so many members don t like the Daytona.

iPhone/Tapatalk

"Also remember that feet don't get fat and a watch will always speak volumes." Robert Johnston
---------------------
*new*https://youtu.be/EljAF-uddhE *new *

http://youtu.be/ZmpLoO1Q8eQ
IG @passionata1
Passionata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2016, 06:47 AM   #108
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
The Hulk, loved it in pics or when I saw it on people, but when I got it I probably didn't even wear it 3 hours in all, total disappointment..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passionata View Post

iPhone/Tapatalk
I never liked the Daytona without the ceramic bezel, when they made the 116515 in RG I got one after about 2 years, sold it since as it didn't get the love factor, at the same time that was my crazy buying period, in 2 months 6 watches, plus others i had, but am thinking about getting the SS, it does look really nice and is the only Rolex that I find comfortable enough to wear, though in style I would like more a sub no date, but too thick and heavy for my actual tastes, didn't mind for a few years but I do now
lapince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2016, 06:49 AM   #109
Hollister
Banned

Watch: 114300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenophon View Post
My Patek Aquanaut. I long wanted a PP and shortly after getting it I thought it looked cheap and tinny. I failed to see the wow factor once I got it on my wrist.
I agree, completely underwhelming. Paul has one, so does Ringo, therefore it's great.
Hollister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2016, 06:50 AM   #110
Hollister
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passionata View Post
+1, I got a Zenith EP in preference.
Old 19 October 2016, 07:09 AM   #111
overlinjw
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuagull View Post
So many...

Black Bay - This is the biggest one to date. I still love it so much that I continually try to convince myself that the slab sides of the case don't bother me when I know they do. It's a proportions thing.

SubC, GMTc & 42mm EXPII - I just cannot get with the supersized cases and maxi hands/dials. The watches just come across out of proportion, too shiny and a little cartoonish to my eye. Even with the old school cheap, rattly bracelets I much prefer the older 4 and 5-digit Rolex sports references.

Oris ProPilot & Divers 65 - I was pretty shocked at how cheap the crown felt to operate. Vague between positions and felt like it could easily be bent or cross-threaded when screwing it back in. A $100 Seiko diver's crown feels better to operate. It was a real let down.

Daytona - Modern ones are legibility nightmares and I don't love the indexes. 4-digit Daytonas are the only way to go for me.

Omega Seamaster 300 Master CoAxial - I wanted to love this piece so much but it's a mess to my eye. I don't like the polished tops of the lugs, the PCLs on a retro-styled diver or the white seconds hand (should match the other hands). It's a weird combo of vintage flatness and modern bling that doesn't work for me.

The list could go on and on, but I'll stop there for now. In summary, I'll say there are a TON of watches I like a lot, but VERY few that I like enough that I'd want to own them long term.

I definitely agree on the 300MC. It looks so nice in the pictures, but when I finally got one, I quickly realized it was way too blingy for my taste with the entire top of the watch polished. For a 41mm watch, 15mm thickness feels like you're wearing a small silo on your wrist. I liked the matte dial, but the faux lume was very weak and short-lived. And I absolutely hated the bracelet. It was very blocky and too wide. I feel that 20mm would have been perfect. Oh yeah, that 21mm thing also bothered me. The watch looked great on every strap but none were perfect fits because of the weird lug width.

I ended up switching for a planet ocean 2500+cash and I don't regret it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
overlinjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2016, 07:22 AM   #112
lapince
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenophon View Post
My Patek Aquanaut. I long wanted a PP and shortly after getting it I thought it looked cheap and tinny. I failed to see the wow factor once I got it on my wrist.
There is NO WOW factor on the SS Aquanauts, but there sure is on the RG models, both are totally wow, have the 5167 and I love the 5164, in real both look awesome
Old 19 October 2016, 07:36 AM   #113
Hollister
Banned

It was the RG I tried on. The dial, hands and indices look cheap to my eyes. You must remember that we don't all like the same things.
Old 19 October 2016, 08:22 AM   #114
lapince
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollister View Post
It was the RG I tried on. The dial, hands and indices look cheap to my eyes. You must remember that we don't all like the same things.
really? Did you see it in natural light and even more in the sun? The day I got mine there was a sunny day in Zurich, it was amazing. Indices I can get it, it's just applied lume, but the numerals with lume are great, I find the dial very cool, for me the hands are larger and with more lume but like the 5712 hands. Strange, but yeah we don't love the same things and it's good, when I see the level of love for the SS 5167 I don't really get it, but love my RG
Old 19 October 2016, 08:56 AM   #115
Ryvil
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner
Tudor black bay. Beautiful watch in pictures and yet it failed to impress when I got it on my wrist. That case is thick and just sat way too high on my wrist.

Any titanium watch. More specifically the Tudor Pelagos and the Grand Seiko GMT (cannot recall the model). I'm just used to having some heft on my wrist. I feel naked with a light titanium watch on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ryvil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2016, 08:59 AM   #116
Hollister
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapince View Post
really? Did you see it in natural light and even more in the sun? The day I got mine there was a sunny day in Zurich, it was amazing. Indices I can get it, it's just applied lume, but the numerals with lume are great, I find the dial very cool, for me the hands are larger and with more lume but like the 5712 hands. Strange, but yeah we don't love the same things and it's good, when I see the level of love for the SS 5167 I don't really get it, but love my RG
The Aquanaut hands look nothing like the Nautilus hands. I'm sorry I don't like the Aquanaut, but please don't take it personally.
Old 19 October 2016, 09:53 AM   #117
hbk25
"TRF" Member

Watch: Z Blue
I dig the ss aquanaut, but I could see how it could underwhelm some. It's a crazy amount of money for a bunch of rubber and stainless steel. But sum of its parts, right. Plus the 324 movement.

As for personal let down, I'd say explorer I. I was so excited for it to be my first rolex. Dug the history, loved the aesthetic, read up on the movement, but then I slap it on my fat wrist and it just didn't look right. I guess I was more of the disappointment, ha!

Got this instead. Although just a mm larger than the exp i, I think the thicker case made all the difference at the time.

hbk25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2016, 10:29 AM   #118
lapince
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollister View Post
The Aquanaut hands look nothing like the Nautilus hands. I'm sorry I don't like the Aquanaut, but please don't take it personally.
You are allowed to have your opinion, I know what I like and don't like, no one is obliged to be like me
Old 19 October 2016, 01:26 PM   #119
brmeyers
"TRF" Member

Watch: ...Your Thoughts
Hublot Big Bang (got way back in 2011).. Broke down on me.
Only watch I have had problems with (knock on wood).
brmeyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2016, 06:13 PM   #120
Passionata
"TRF" Member

Watch: the girls
Watch that completely disappointed you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapince View Post

I never liked the Daytona without the ceramic bezel, when they made the 116515 in RG I got one after about 2 years, sold it since as it didn't get the love factor, at the same time that was my crazy buying period, in 2 months 6 watches, plus others i had, but am thinking about getting the SS, it does look really nice and is the only Rolex that I find comfortable enough to wear, though in style I would like more a sub no date, but too thick and heavy for my actual tastes, didn't mind for a few years but I do now
Oh I m in love with it ,it was a period of timd when i thought i must sell it but i m so happy i didn t ,and now that the C is out you can see how beatufully crafted piece the 116520.

iPhone/Tapatalk

"Also remember that feet don't get fat and a watch will always speak volumes." Robert Johnston
---------------------
*new*https://youtu.be/EljAF-uddhE *new *

http://youtu.be/ZmpLoO1Q8eQ
IG @passionata1
Passionata is offline   Reply With Quote