ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 24 November 2018, 12:25 AM   #91
Travelller
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my sig. ;)
Icon4

Quote:
Originally Posted by moby33 View Post
...but if I can't see it with my naked eye, it doesn't exist and therefore "spotless"...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelller View Post
I think that's a much better approach - less OCD, more enjoyment
Who would have thought... Seiko (C.S. Tokyo) appears to share your belief as this is their response to my case:

Pretty surprised, given the facts that this is a €5K Seiko assembled in the same studio as Grand-Seiko's mechanical watches...

But I've got one more card up my sleeve... please wish me luck

p.s. in the meantime... Life goes on

Panerai 111 217 233
Rolex 16600 126600
Seiko SBGA125 SBDX001 SLA017 SLA025 SLA033
Tudor 5B GMT
Zénith A386ME
Other Mühle Glashütte S.A.R. Flieger Chronoswiss Tora
Travelller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2018, 12:14 PM   #92
moby33
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/Omega/Seiko
Quote:
Who would have thought... Seiko (C.S. Tokyo) appears to share your belief as this is their response to my case:

Pretty surprised, given the facts that this is a €5K Seiko assembled in the same studio as Grand-Seiko's mechanical watches...

But I've got one more card up my sleeve... please wish me luck

p.s. in the meantime... Life goes on

Wow...that is surprising (and disappointing). Sorry to hear it. Please keep us posted on any developments.

And here I am, fingers crossed for a 6105 re-issue (and actually probably going against the grain in that I'm somewhat hoping for a LE 6105 simply because I'm hoping for a hi-beat movement possibility)...but would hate to dish out $5K+ for this type of customer service. Hell, I wouldn't want that service on a $500 watch.

Lastly, not to switch gears too much (but you tempted me), I've been so close lately to picking up a Tudor (long time fan, but never an owner). I go back & forth between the Pelagos & this pepsi GMT. I don't really need a GMT, but damn, every time I see it I can't help but be amazed at how good it looks. I assume you have good things to say about it? Does it wear thick?
moby33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2018, 04:35 PM   #93
ragnk
"TRF" Member

We all know that early birds do get the best prices, I think you should grab the offer now because when the watch finally comes out, the price would be a little bit higher
ragnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2018, 05:49 AM   #94
toxicavenger
"TRF" Member

Watch: Seiko's
Quote:
Wow...that is surprising (and disappointing). Sorry to hear it. Please keep us posted on any developments.

And here I am, fingers crossed for a 6105 re-issue (and actually probably going against the grain in that I'm somewhat hoping for a LE 6105 simply because I'm hoping for a hi-beat movement possibility)...but would hate to dish out $5K+ for this type of customer service. Hell, I wouldn't want that service on a $500 watch.
I guess I dont' agree with you guys. If it takes something to be magnified 8 times to see it then it isn't worth it. There are more important things in life to worry about than dust you can see at that magnification.

Heck Rolex has the same policy. Look up the thread here where a customer has sunburst dials that you can see the defect with regular eyesight.
toxicavenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2018, 05:50 AM   #95
toxicavenger
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbaug2 View Post
Please, please, please! I have both a 1970 proof/proof 6105-8000 (with 6105B movement) and my dad's 1975 6105-8119. I would plop down $5k in a heartbeat for a GOOD reissue of one of those (and both the SLA017 and SLA025 are exceptional reissues, in my opinion).
A good reissue would be changing the crown to a screw down design and dump that goofy crown lock. Not to mention dumping the integrated crown gasket.
Old 3 December 2018, 05:53 AM   #96
toxicavenger
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Robert View Post
Try waxed dental floss around crown threads to clean & “lube” them, it’ll make setting the crown easier.
That does work for sure. The Seiko MM was plagued with this issue. I think maybe the crown threads are fine pitch so it caused this weird feel to them??? I am not sure. So always screwed the crown backwards until I felt the crown drop into the threads.
Old 3 December 2018, 08:47 AM   #97
ashbaug2
Banned

Watch: 126710 BLRO
Quote:
Originally Posted by toxicavenger View Post
That does work for sure. The Seiko MM was plagued with this issue. I think maybe the crown threads are fine pitch so it caused this weird feel to them??? I am not sure. So always screwed the crown backwards until I felt the crown drop into the threads.
Thought it was just me with this issue, but it never bothered me that much, I guess.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
ashbaug2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2018, 08:50 AM   #98
ashbaug2
Banned

Watch: 126710 BLRO
Quote:
A good reissue would be changing the crown to a screw down design and dump that goofy crown lock. Not to mention dumping the integrated crown gasket.
I think that goes without saying that they would need to rework the crown. Original crowns are a mess... But I would like a visual design like the 8119 on the crown, I think Artifice makes something similar they call the Bolt Face crown. It's part of the aesthetic, to me, even if it weren't functional in a reissue due to the screw down. It's like the guys that Trip-locked their 6105 crowns. Do that and reissue it exactly the same, and I'm in 1000%. I'm already saving my money...

ashbaug2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2018, 11:22 AM   #99
Travelller
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Wow...that is surprising (and disappointing). Sorry to hear it. Please keep us posted on any developments ... would hate to dish out $5K+ for this type of customer service. Hell, I wouldn't want that service on a $500 watch...
I still love the reissues I have as well as my GS but this experience has taught me to check a watch a little more carefully before purchasing it. In the case of the SLA025, I was just happy to be able to get a hold of one that I only checked the basics (12:00 alignment, bezel alignment and smoothness of action, date wheel, etc). You can look at the hands in certain lighting and they look perfect even with a 6X loupe. In the typical AD, the lighting may flatter the merchandise but it's certainly not geared for detailed inspection... .

Bottom line - I would certainly buy another Seiko but the next time I will be more vigilant with its initial inspection

Quote:
I guess I dont' agree with you guys. If it takes something to be magnified 8 times to see it then it isn't worth it. There are more important things in life to worry about than dust you can see at that magnification. Heck Rolex has the same policy...
There are a lot more important things in life than watches, period, so let's not go into such philosophical debates...

Regarding the policies of other houses; yes, when I told my Seiko story to another Dealer, he mentioned that that there are certainly other companies with similar policies. While this is indeed surprising (to me), I never suggested otherwise.
What I have stated is that I don't own a single watch from any company that doesn't have some very minor dust issues or even the odd scuff-mark (on a hand or marker).

I wouldn't have sent mine in just for the hands but that was in addition to the wonky crown-stem threading and possible issues with the barrel spring / winding clutch "system".

~~~

Horology by its very nature demands precision work with very fine tolerances and a very low margin for error. A well-executed, properly-assembled watch will be a reflection of this.

Lastly, my tolerance for errors decreases as the price increases...

/OFF-TOPIC
Quote:
...back & forth between the Pelagos & this pepsi GMT ... Does it wear thick?
I believe the Pelagos are a bit thinner; if not physically, then in appearance. Go to your local AD, try the Pelagos and any BB at the same sitting and you'll answer your own question.
The one thing that sets the GMT's case apart from the older BB models is that Tudor decided to bevel the bottom of the side edges which give the GMT a slimmer look although the actual case thickness has not changed (to the best of my knowledge).
p.s. The Pelagos is a true diver, reflected in its functions (bezel) as well as its bracelet. The GMT has a nice-looking "rivet" bracelet but it's no where near as functional as the one that comes with the Pelagos...
Panerai 111 217 233
Rolex 16600 126600
Tudor 5B GMT
Zénith A386ME
Old 3 December 2018, 03:21 PM   #100
toxicavenger
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbaug2 View Post
Thought it was just me with this issue, but it never bothered me that much, I guess.

No it is common on a lot of watches. The threads on the crown and tube don't automatically line up so it is better to go backwards until you feel the threads actually step into each other.
Old 3 December 2018, 03:32 PM   #101
toxicavenger
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I still love the reissues I have as well as my GS
I wouldn't have sent mine in just for the hands but that was in addition to the wonky crown-stem threading and possible issues with the barrel spring / winding clutch "system".
I totally get where you are coming from when there are multiple issues.

I bet they will find nothing wrong with the crown/tube on it. The threads on a crown/tube do not automatically just line up. So I always turn them backwards until it seats itself before moving forward.

I didn't see you mention a barrel spring/winding issue here?
Old 3 December 2018, 10:14 PM   #102
Travelller
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
No it is common on a lot of watches. The threads on the crown and tube don't automatically line up...
Quote:
... I bet they will find nothing wrong with the crown/tube on it. The threads on a crown/tube do not automatically just line up...
...I didn't see you mention a barrel spring/winding issue here?
You bet correctly. However, they either didn't understand my concern or decided to ignore it because their response was to send us a copy of the User Guide...

You noted that the issue is common "on a lot of watches". In my experience (owning Omega, Rolex, Tudor, the SLA017 and an SBGA125) the SLA025 is the first such case, so I wonder if the watches you refer to are all with crown at 4 o'clock. It could be that due to the odd angle, we apply a slight upwards force when screwing in such crowns... dunno. I only know that with all my 3 o'clock screw-down crowns, I have no such issues. Simply push downwards and slowly begin to screw clockwise...

~~~~

Regarding the barrel spring / winding clutch "system" - I asked about it elsewhere because the sound the SLA025 makes once you have reached the point where the clutch kicks in is pretty "hoarse"... usually horologoy + hoarseness = problem. But they once again stated everything was copacetic. Before declaring it an issue I of course went to one of the local ADs and wound up a few GS Hi-Beats - they were not exhibiting this hoarsness.

~~~~

But I'm close to throwing in the towel and recalling my unit which is still sitting on someone's desk / bin in Tokyo...
Panerai 111 217 233
Rolex 16600 126600
Tudor 5B GMT
Zénith A386ME
Old 4 December 2018, 02:48 AM   #103
toxicavenger
"TRF" Member

Quote:
the first such case, so I wonder if the watches you refer to are all with crown at 4 o'clock. It could be that due to the odd angle, we apply a slight upwards force when screwing in such crowns... dunno:
This is probably part of it. I know on the Squale 1521 they can be a real mofo to get started.

Either way I hope you get it sorted.
Old 8 December 2018, 11:00 AM   #104
Travelller
2024 Pledge Member

I just got my SLA025 back from Tokyo ( ) and my AD offered me a (NOS) SBDX001 at an awesome price to smooth things over...

p.s. Dia-Shield sucks.
Panerai 111 217 233
Rolex 16600 126600
Tudor 5B GMT
Zénith A386ME
Old 8 December 2018, 01:41 PM   #105
dchang81
2024 Pledge Member

How does the finishing of the sla017 compare to the sla025? I was surprised about the quality of the sla025 in a good way, then again with an MSRP of 5.4k should be nice.
dchang81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2018, 05:47 PM   #106
vintagehartmann
"TRF" Member

Re:

Both are fantastic. I’ve spent time looking at both with a macro lens, and the finishing is very high quality.

I just picked up the SLA025 a couple of weeks ago, so that’s been on my wrist. I’ve had a day where the SLA017 on my wrist and I’ve been very happy I bought it, but I’m just smitten with the SLA025 right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dchang81 View Post
How does the finishing of the sla017 compare to the sla025? I was surprised about the quality of the sla025 in a good way, then again with an MSRP of 5.4k should be nice.
vintagehartmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2018, 09:20 PM   #107
Travelller
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagehartmann View Post
Both are fantastic. I’ve spent time looking at both with a macro lens, and the finishing is very high quality.
I agree with this Gent 100%
Both are well designed using nicely finished materials etc (barring my own SLA025 unit's issues). The SLA017 is infinitely more wearable for "daily business" due to it's standard dimensions etc. Mvmt-wise, I've seen no distinct advantage of the 8L55 vs. 8L35B... . I don't want to hijack this thread any further though; there are a few threads where you can get all the info incl my own Pictorial as well as an own SLA017 thread.

Panerai 111 217 233
Rolex 16600 126600
Tudor 5B GMT
Zénith A386ME
Old 8 December 2018, 11:05 PM   #108
coucher
Banned

Watch: ROLEX
Its a fantastic watch. but its just priced on the high side. Best to give it some time if you can't afford em at the moment.
coucher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2018, 12:01 AM   #109
1William
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Cool watch and have visited a purchase several times. Can't do it now but maybe in the future.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2018, 05:58 AM   #110
toxicavenger
"TRF" Member

Congrats on the SBDX001. I have one here now also.
Old 10 December 2018, 12:49 AM   #111
Travelller
2024 Pledge Member

/OFF-TOPIC

Quote:
Congrats on the SBDX001. I have one here now also.
What is it with me & Seiko...

Panerai 111 217 233
Rolex 16600 126600
Tudor 5B GMT
Zénith A386ME
Old 12 December 2018, 01:43 PM   #112
toxicavenger
"TRF" Member

Quote:
/OFF-TOPIC

What is it with me & Seiko...

I don't know but like I said before you need to stop magnifying watches to 10x and expecting the same results from other watches.
Old 12 December 2018, 03:36 PM   #113
dchang81
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I don't know but like I said before you need to stop magnifying watches to 10x and expecting the same results from other watches.
yea, dont buy a modern patek with a 10x loupe either, or you're gonna have chest pains.
dchang81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2018, 09:32 AM   #114
Travelller
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dchang81 View Post
...you're gonna have chest pains.
I already had my "session"...

c/o Seiko S.C. Tokyo or local S.C. or AD...
...at least they managed to do both sides to keep the symmetry...

Panerai 111 217 233
Rolex 16600 126600
Tudor 5B GMT
Zénith A386ME
Old 16 December 2018, 12:00 AM   #115
Travelller
2024 Pledge Member

Looking sooo damn good...

.... 30cm from the lens....
Panerai 111 217 233
Rolex 16600 126600
Tudor 5B GMT
Zénith A386ME
Old 21 December 2018, 01:05 AM   #116
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

Those 19mm lugs are a real bummer for me
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2018, 11:09 AM   #117
Travelller
2024 Pledge Member

IG has a tradition of posting your top nine, most-liked posts of the year.

I'm pleased to say that the SLA025 made several appearances:

I also decided to review my posts and come up with my own Top9 of 2018 too. Of course, the SLA025's included

https://www.instagram.com/trav11er/

Quote:
...you need to stop magnifying watches to 10x ...
Know you know "the why" ...
Panerai 111 217 233
Rolex 16600 126600
Tudor 5B GMT
Zénith A386ME
Old 26 January 2019, 01:28 AM   #118
Travelller
2024 Pledge Member

TGIF
Panerai 111 217 233
Rolex 16600 126600
Tudor 5B GMT
Zénith A386ME
Old 18 February 2019, 01:14 PM   #119
Travelller
2024 Pledge Member

Icon17

For your reading pleasure
(or you can just enjoy the pics - now all in one place )

Seiko's SLA025 (SBEX007): A Pictorial
Panerai 111 217 233
Rolex 16600 126600
Tudor 5B GMT
Zénith A386ME
Old 1 May 2019, 11:34 PM   #120
Travelller
2024 Pledge Member