The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 8 September 2018, 07:01 AM   #31
rc crown
"TRF" Member

Watch: bands rock!
Not sure I'm a huge wis . I have worn Seiko since I was 16, almost 20 years. I have just always loved them and they are a part of me. However, the more I have been looking at watches from a horoligical perspective the more I realize what great taste I have always had lmao
rc crown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2018, 07:12 AM   #32
MP5
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogman View Post
Seiko has always been one of the main WIS brands for the guys who know a bit about watches.
This. Ive been at them for 20 years. Yall stay away from the vintage 62 mas so you dont run it into the stratosphere like you did with Rolex and Tudor!
MP5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2018, 07:17 AM   #33
sillo
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5 Digit
Quote:
Originally Posted by MP5 View Post
This. Ive been at them for 20 years. Yall stay away from the vintage 62 mas so you dont run it into the stratosphere like you did with Rolex and Tudor!
It's only a matter of time.

@TheGMTHand
sillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2018, 07:32 AM   #34
MP5
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darwin95 View Post
That’s exactly what I’ve done for last three months. One Seiko diver and one GS dress. Really happy with the quality... especially their dials are second to none. Cheers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
061? Been wanting that for years
MP5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2018, 07:35 AM   #35
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
Is Credor the top of the line Grand Seiko? Or something else? A Credor model caught my eye.
locutus49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2018, 07:37 AM   #36
darwin95
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yourself
Quote:
Originally Posted by MP5 View Post
061? Been wanting that for years

You gotta do it. 061 is a great watch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
darwin95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2018, 07:39 AM   #37
psv
"TRF" Member

Seiko has been a WIS brand for quite some time, now they are growing in popularity and recognition with the broader market. Having said that, it just doesn't float my boat. Never remember about dreaming of owning a Seiko as I grew up...
psv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2018, 09:47 AM   #38
PJ S
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus49 View Post
Is Credor the top of the line Grand Seiko? Or something else? A Credor model caught my eye.
A separate side brand that’s both equal to and above Grand Seiko.
It’s the slightly more flamboyant option, with some calibres unique and specific to the brand, whereas GS is the finest presentation of an everyday watch.
Grand Seiko is the embodiment of a philosophy — see post #31 for what once used to be on the GS specific website.
PJ S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2018, 02:12 PM   #39
imperio
"TRF" Member

Watch: this space
Quote:
Originally Posted by psv View Post
Seiko has been a WIS brand for quite some time, now they are growing in popularity and recognition with the broader market. Having said that, it just doesn't float my boat. Never remember about dreaming of owning a Seiko as I grew up...

You didn't dream big enough when you were a kid
Old 8 September 2018, 09:58 PM   #40
blcblc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillo38 View Post
I look at Seiko as one of the more comparable brands to Rolex. Their level of vertical integration and control over their product is unmatched. They both make durable, reliable and easily serviceable movements and pair them with great designs. So for me it was only logical to start collecting vintage Seikos.
Vintage seikois are interesting. Love them!
blcblc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2018, 10:19 AM   #41
metalgear
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by psv View Post
i think affordability comes into the picture and you have hoards trading up from seiko to a swiss brand. seen from that "my first watch journey" seiko plays a big role in developing the WIS concept and experience.

that said i still collect cheap seikos (and casios) and there is a WIS level for each corresponding price bracket of watches. great time for folks like us the choice is immense.
metalgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2018, 10:45 AM   #42
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Shiny One
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalgear View Post
i think affordability comes into the picture and you have hoards trading up from seiko to a swiss brand. seen from that "my first watch journey" seiko plays a big role in developing the WIS concept and experience.
The way I see it, I moved UP to Grand Seiko from Rolex. Maybe spending less, but getting more quality.
pickettt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2018, 10:54 AM   #43
imperio
"TRF" Member

Watch: this space
Is Seiko becoming a WIS brand ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickettt View Post
The way I see it, I moved UP to Grand Seiko from Rolex. Maybe spending less, but getting more quality.

I came across the below description of the two general kinds of WIS's there are and I like how the writer puts it:

There are “watch people” that only determine a watch’s worth based on its brand/price. I wouldn’t necessarily say these are pretentious people – because this is the closest thing men have that’s comparable to women’s jewelry, and whether we like it or not, the feeling of status/prestige that accompanies ownership of a luxury item is, for better or worse, something that coaxes positive emotions from the human psyche. And that’s fair enough – but there’s no getting around the fact that these people appreciate luxury more than they do horology. “Watch snobs” would probably be a fair term to describe such a group

But there are also “watch people” who actually appreciate watches for the amazing things they are, and who’s respect for a brand or model is not necessarily tied to its “status.” Their appreciation for the expensive brands is not because they’re expensive, but for the engineering/craftsmanship involved (which incidentally made them expensive) – it’s this same nuanced appreciation is what allows them to appreciate even those that aren’t necessarily expensive or prestigious.
Old 14 September 2018, 04:37 AM   #44
ArtNouveau
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BLRO/Daytona/OP41s
I remember as a teen my brother in law returning from a Vietnam tour sporting a new Seiko. I have always revered them as a very solid piece of kit with a good value price. I’ve had a dozen or so over the years, currently have three and about to buy another. This in addition to the 20 or so Rolex and other higher priced brand watches owned over the same period.
I prefer sports type models so Grand Seiko hasn’t really been on my radar...yet. I’m on “lists” for a couple of Rolex models but honestly I find it very refreshing to be able to just go out and buy want I want as with Seiko versus jumping through hoops.
ArtNouveau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2018, 08:40 AM   #45
Art 1
Banned

Watch: Rol/Seik/Tud/Omega
I am really enjoying my PADI that my wife bought for me a few months ago. I am beating it up in a big way and it shows no wear. It's very visable in the water, just an amazing watch and at $1050CAD it's a steal.

A few years ago a buddy of mine who posts here from time to time got into Seiko dive watches, he's a serious diver. Then into the GS line. He has an amazing Rolex collection and ownes more Pateks than most ADs have in stock. He told me that if Grand Seiko said Patek on them that they could sell for Patek prices. That they are just as good. Just his opinion.
Art 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2018, 02:53 AM   #46
marcopolo05
"TRF" Member

I think GS is pretty much WIS territory but "regular" Seiko not.

I had that idea as well but then we I strike up a conversation with Seiko wearers, 90% doesn't have a clue what I'm all excited about. :Chuckle:

Envoyé de mon ONEPLUS A6003 en utilisant Tapatalk
marcopolo05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2018, 05:13 PM   #47
Euge
"TRF" Member

Watch: All Watches
I think a real WIS would get any kind of watch that gets his attention....... and IMHO SEIKO really gets a lot of attention everywhere I’ve seen including this forum of course.....

Euge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2018, 05:18 PM   #48
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo05 View Post
I think GS is pretty much WIS territory but "regular" Seiko not.

I had that idea as well but then we I strike up a conversation with Seiko wearers, 90% doesn't have a clue what I'm all excited about. :Chuckle:

Envoyé de mon ONEPLUS A6003 en utilisant Tapatalk
Vintage Seiko Chronographs and Divers are definitely WIS territory
Old 21 November 2018, 05:19 PM   #49
Andad
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Star Ferry View Post
As an aside: how do I get my username in Times New Roman?
Cross my palm with silver.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2018, 08:13 PM   #50
Frogman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalgear View Post

that said i still collect cheap seikos (and casios) and there is a WIS level for each corresponding price bracket of watches. great time for folks like us the choice is immense.
Its not so much 'trading up to a swiss brand' its trading across.
Seiko is not below Swiss these days, it actually blows a few swiss players out of the park these days.

I suppose if we are talking about the bottom end of seiko it would be trading up to swiss, but the mid tier seikos and above sit along side the Swiss these days and GS way above most Swiss offerings.

I know many of you lads might just stick around Rolex forums but away from here Seiko has always been the glue that binds the entire WIS community.

Its not only a gateway drug but the biggest player in real deal ISO standard dive watches and delivers incredible watches at every level, Seiko leave Rolex and the Swiss in the dark as far as dive tools go.

Rolex, Omega, Breitling, Tag, Panerai, these guys make dinner divers these days, Seiko make divers for doing the job.

The higher end Swiss have priced themselves out of the diving tool tag, theres just much more practical watches to wear in the water.

I get the feeling a lot of guys here dont understand the amazing history of seiko, the build quality and research and development of watches like the Tuna, and just how respected Seiko is in the dive industry.
They are just coming round to seiko now after wearing Rolex and never really giving seiko a second look.

In Australia Seiko has always been respected and on the water their divers are held in the highest regard.

Theres also something humble and honest about seiko on the wrist, their divers ooze charm and brilliant design, im stoked to see you rolex guys giving them a go and loving them.

Seiko defines WIS, always has and their popularity with the luxury crowd is about to boom imo.
Frogman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2018, 08:28 PM   #51
orbitalheel
"TRF" Member

Very happy to see GS gaining momentum lately because they really do make some great watches.
orbitalheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2018, 08:34 PM   #52
Frogman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art 1 View Post
I am really enjoying my PADI that my wife bought for me a few months ago. I am beating it up in a big way and it shows no wear. It's very visable in the water, just an amazing watch and at $1050CAD it's a steal.

A few years ago a buddy of mine who posts here from time to time got into Seiko dive watches, he's a serious diver. Then into the GS line. He has an amazing Rolex collection and ownes more Pateks than most ADs have in stock. He told me that if Grand Seiko said Patek on them that they could sell for Patek prices. That they are just as good. Just his opinion.
Your buddy is spot on Art.
Old 21 November 2018, 08:36 PM   #53
Frogman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickettt View Post

Old 21 November 2018, 09:54 PM   #54
daveathall
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
I am of the opinion that both brands make fabulous watches, GS? I would put in the same domain as any Rolex. I have 2 GS and 1 Rolex, I bought the GS's because at the time they were more rare and difficult to find in the UK.

When it comes to marketing their wares, Rolex wins by a country mile.

DAVE

daveathall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2018, 11:53 PM   #55
yessir69
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsmith1974 View Post
Grand Seiko certainly deserves to be.
And Seiko.

yessir69 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2018, 02:24 AM   #56
yannis
"TRF" Member

Watch: maniac
Hasn't it always been a WIS brand? And a popular one might i add?

yannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2018, 02:37 AM   #57
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Gs. Wis. Yes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg FA3AD8BB-1D68-4CDC-8493-BEBE24ECFBB9.jpeg (162.2 KB, 139 views)
Old 22 November 2018, 08:52 AM   #58
vintage navitimer
"TRF" Member

Watch: hard to pick one
It has been for quite a while. Here are just a few reasons why.

6306-7001

sbgt035

7549-7010

sbgr051

vintage navitimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2018, 09:04 AM   #59
vintage navitimer
"TRF" Member

Watch: hard to pick one
A few better pics.

vintage navitimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2018, 02:32 PM   #60
SUPERDOC
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art 1 View Post

This kind of summarizes my new love affair with Seiko and Grand Seiko...

I think every collector has a journey, and for many of us, there is a requisite Rolex route... but many of us may have started with a seiko-

after coming full circle, and having the patek, and the APs, and multiple Rolexes, etc, you realize that so much is bullS***...

When you look at the honesty behind the seiko - the goal always seems to be "what is the best possible watch we can make for a given price point?" ...

when you look at how good the presage and prospex lines are - for me on par with Tudor/entry level omega at 1/5th the price.. it makes you realize how much of a "tax" there is on Watch snobbery..

The GS takes it a step further - under the loupe - only the AP and Patek are on par -

when the goal seems to be providing the consumer with the most value for dollar, rather than marketing a Veblen item, it is hard not to fall in love...

I think that the sharp rise in prices of the Prospex line have proven how undervalued they may have been..