The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 5 October 2018, 01:28 PM   #1
tom2517
"TRF" Member

GS 8 Days

This review is long overdue (especially now seeing Ken has also ventured into GS), as I think I am the only one in this forum who has this watch, Grand Seiko 8 Days SBGD001 (now renamed to SBGD201 with GS logo on top). I bought it as soon as it came out in Taiwan but was told they already sold two, so I am not the only crazy one.

On to the watch. First of all this is a big watch (for a dress watch), it’s even bigger than the Rolex DD 2 which Rolex realized it was too big and came out with DD 40.

The entire case is mirror polished and has many angles, an impressive case if you don’t mind the size. GS likes to promote their special polished cases are distortion free, well, what does that mean? Below has an example.

The alligator or crocodile leather band it came with is very stiff and very thick, I would guess to compliment the size of case, and the buckle is a platinum deployant buckle.

The diamond dust dial is great to look it, frost finish with sparkles. When I had dinner with Stephen Forsey about a couple of months ago I was told the frost finish on GF are done with special wire brush, I am not so sure how GS does theirs. Online I found some info that said the dial was soft pressed, layer plated, hand painted, and burnished. Regardless of how it was done, it’s a special dial.

Many complained the movement is boring, that the bridge plate is way too big and GS should have shown more parts. GS’s reason was they needed the big plate to stabilize the movement, whatever the reason the plate dominant the movement. However it is still finished at the highest standard. For me I would put Seiko’s Micro Artist Studio (which made this watch) and GF as the top tier in terms of just finishing, nobody else does beveling and counter sink polishing like these two, except some indies. You really need a loupe to appreciate the watches coming out of the MAS, even the underside of the screws are mirror polished according to deployant.com. No watch at this price range has finishing like this (except its brother Credor Eichi II), even watches that cost multiple times more.

But in a way it made sense, Japanese watches have to offer more value. When Toyota created the Lexus division, the first car LS400’s goal was to offer Mercedes S class luxury but at E class pricing, otherwise why would anyone buy it?

Still, a GS at 50k+ it’s certainly for a few people only. I wouldn’t say I am a diehard GS fan as this is the only GS that I have. I would say I buy watches that I find interesting, as some might know I also have (god forbid) Bamford and Tempus Machina Rolexes, Hermes enamel watches, De Bethune and Urwerk 210 (though both DB28 and Urwerk are now gone). The quality of this watch is exceptional but I do wish it was smaller, sized like a DD 40 would have been perfect.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 663777CD-90E9-464D-A412-20A46F1937FC.jpg (187.6 KB, 585 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1710.jpg (198.1 KB, 580 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0305.jpg (133.7 KB, 580 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0005.jpg (69.0 KB, 586 views)
tom2517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2018, 02:51 PM   #2
SSCosmo
"TRF" Member

Nice review and beautiful watch! So you're one of the few people that got this watch in Taiwan - the sales person I know at the main Seiko boutique in Taipei told me there were a few. Just curious - you mentioned the Eichi II. If you had to pick between this watch and the Eichi II, which one would you choose?
SSCosmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2018, 03:05 PM   #3
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
Good review and congrats for owning this extraordinary timepiece!

I remember there were articles from Hodinkee and Fratello when this watch was released, and one of the first things that piqued my interest was the price of the watch. I thought it was a lot of money for a GS, but I also read about the hand-crafting by the micro artist studio, who are the same team that hand-crafts the Eichi II and the Credor pieces too. Now, I'm a big fan of simple, elegant and well-balanced dial and this one looks great from the photos. I'm sure all the detailing and finishes are exemplary under the loupe, given the attention to details from these Japanese craftsmen.

I wish I have the chance to visit the studio. Anyway, enjoy this rare watch in good health!
Ichiran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2018, 03:11 PM   #4
tom2517
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSCosmo View Post
Nice review and beautiful watch! So you're one of the few people that got this watch in Taiwan - the sales person I know at the main Seiko boutique in Taipei told me there were a few. Just curious - you mentioned the Eichi II. If you had to pick between this watch and the Eichi II, which one would you choose?
Honestly, that's a tough choice. I like the dial side and the case better on the GS, but movement I like the Eichi II better. And size wise, of course I like the Eichi II better as well.

The GS is a very imposing watch due to its size, and also it is thick because of the 3 barrels, if you like a more understated watch, Eichi is probably the better choice.

I am actually thinking of getting the Eichi II as well, but undecided.
Old 5 October 2018, 03:12 PM   #5
tom2517
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichiran View Post
Good review and congrats for owning this extraordinary timepiece!

I remember there were articles from Hodinkee and Fratello when this watch was released, and one of the first things that piqued my interest was the price of the watch. I thought it was a lot of money for a GS, but I also read about the hand-crafting by the micro artist studio, who are the same team that hand-crafts the Eichi II and the Credor pieces too. Now, I'm a big fan of simple, elegant and well-balanced dial and this one looks great from the photos. I'm sure all the detailing and finishes are exemplary under the loupe, given the attention to details from these Japanese craftsmen.

I wish I have the chance to visit the studio. Anyway, enjoy this rare watch in good health!
Thanks Michael!
Old 5 October 2018, 03:40 PM   #6
SSCosmo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom2517 View Post
Honestly, that's a tough choice. I like the dial side and the case better on the GS, but movement I like the Eichi II better. And size wise, of course I like the Eichi II better as well.

The GS is a very imposing watch due to its size, and also it is thick because of the 3 barrels, if you like a more understated watch, Eichi is probably the better choice.

I am actually thinking of getting the Eichi II as well, but undecided.
Good points. I was about to pull the trigger on the rose gold Eichi II earlier this year, but am holding off because I've never seen any Eichi in-person. I think I need to see one in the metal before deciding to pull the trigger. I did hear that the wait for one is about 6 months to one year. That was in March, so it could be longer wait now. I feel that now is a good time to get one of the MAS made watches, as GS/Credor are getting more and more popular and they may be harder to get in the future.
Old 5 October 2018, 03:54 PM   #7
tom2517
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSCosmo View Post
Good points. I was about to pull the trigger on the rose gold Eichi II earlier this year, but am holding off because I've never seen any Eichi in-person. I think I need to see one in the metal before deciding to pull the trigger. I did hear that the wait for one is about 6 months to one year. That was in March, so it could be longer wait now. I feel that now is a good time to get one of the MAS made watches, as GS/Credor are getting more and more popular and they may be harder to get in the future.
A couple of weeks in Ginza, I believe they are for sale, but zero discount.

They look better in person as I don't feel Eichi IIs are photogenic.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3536.jpg (273.9 KB, 555 views)
Old 5 October 2018, 05:18 PM   #8
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
Very interesting. Thanks
Old 5 October 2018, 06:42 PM   #9
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
Very nice Tom and was reading about this one yesterday. What a watch!

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2018, 09:28 PM   #10
joli160
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
Stunningly beautiful
Old 6 October 2018, 08:21 AM   #11
incontrol
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them...
Just beautiful! Thank you for the great review.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 6 October 2018, 09:01 PM   #12
tom2517
"TRF" Member

Thanks guys!
Old 7 October 2018, 01:32 AM   #13
SSCosmo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom2517 View Post
A couple of weeks in Ginza, I believe they are for sale, but zero discount.

They look better in person as I don't feel Eichi IIs are photogenic.
I’ll have to check out the store in Ginza when I am in Tokyo later this month. Thanks for the heads-up!
Old 7 October 2018, 07:54 AM   #14
gin47
Banned

Lovely, thanks for the interesting review.
gin47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2018, 11:52 AM   #15
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Really cool piece thanks for the review.
Old 7 October 2018, 04:26 PM   #16
Borsika
Banned

Fantastic piece, cogratulations!

I have been thinking about this for a long time. I love this watch but unfortunately it is too big for my wrist. Actually not the watch face itself but the straight lugs looked strange on my skiny wrist.

Seiko boutique here still has got this piece in stock. Seiko shop manager said that only 8 pieces were made of that! Only 8 SBGD001 with this dial (Seiko on top). The new SBGD201 are made with GS logo on top.
Borsika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2018, 01:32 AM   #17
tom2517
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borsika View Post
Fantastic piece, cogratulations!

I have been thinking about this for a long time. I love this watch but unfortunately it is too big for my wrist. Actually not the watch face itself but the straight lugs looked strange on my skiny wrist.

Seiko boutique here still has got this piece in stock. Seiko shop manager said that only 8 pieces were made of that! Only 8 SBGD001 with this dial (Seiko on top). The new SBGD201 are made with GS logo on top.
Yeah it's a big watch. As for how many made with Seiko on top, I know they sold at least 3 in Taiwan, and one forum member over at Watchprosite has one, so that's four right there.
Old 4 February 2019, 03:29 AM   #18
ppoonndddd
"TRF" Member

I have one in thailand
ppoonndddd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2019, 08:21 PM   #19
Borsika
Banned

Seiko boutique told me that only 8 was made of the sbgd001.
Borsika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2019, 09:14 PM   #20
tom2517
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borsika View Post
Seiko boutique told me that only 8 was made of the sbgd001.
Yes, I was told the same, 8 of the Seiko logo on top, before being replaced by SBGD201, same watch but now with GS logo on top.
Old 11 February 2019, 01:59 AM   #21
ppoonndddd
"TRF" Member

I think it's not 8 cause 8 is for Credor “Tourbillon Engraving Limited Model” .
I see on instagram of 68molle they said it"s almost 50.
Old 11 February 2019, 08:34 PM   #22
tom2517
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppoonndddd View Post
I think it's not 8 cause 8 is for Credor “Tourbillon Engraving Limited Model” .
I see on instagram of 68molle they said it"s almost 50.
I highly doubt GS already made almost 50 8 days with "SEIKO" log on top before they switched to "Grand Seiko" on top. Then again I don't work for Micro Artist Studio so who knows.
Old 12 February 2019, 01:37 PM   #23
ppoonndddd
"TRF" Member

i think we can guess by series number.
Old 12 February 2019, 07:17 PM   #24
tom2517
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppoonndddd View Post
i think we can guess by series number.
It’s too hard the way GS does their serial. Mine was 650003 but on IG I have seen 660011, 660002, 660005, 680003, and 650009. 60Molle has one of the earliest one and his I believe is 680004.
Old 12 February 2019, 09:01 PM   #25
PJ S
Banned

^
Assuming Seiko hasn’t changed the way their serial numbers represent manufactured date, then yours was the earliest – 3rd one produced in May 2016
PJ S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2019, 01:05 AM   #26
ppoonndddd
"TRF" Member

My is 660010
Old 13 February 2019, 01:48 AM   #27
benlee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, PP
Excellent review. Thanks for sharing
Old 13 February 2019, 01:56 AM   #28
tom2517
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ S View Post
^
Assuming Seiko hasn’t changed the way their serial numbers represent manufactured date, then yours was the earliest – 3rd one produced in May 2016
Ok, I got mine (March 2017) later than 60Molle. But I suppose the parts or the case could have been made prior and just got assembled later, or maybe just sold at a later date. But still, if your explanation is correct then ppoonndddd might be right that GS had made quite a few of the 8 days.
Old 13 February 2019, 04:37 AM   #29
PJ S
Banned

These are supposedly limited to 20 pieces in total per annum, which then may mean the serial number designates (but doesn’t differentiate between) the number of watch produced by the Micro Artist Studio, including the Credor models they make.
So rather than yours being the 3rd GS, it’s the 3rd piece the Studio created that month.
I’m sure if you asked the question, they’d be happy to provide you with a definitive answer.
PJ S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2019, 05:13 AM   #30
tom2517
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ S View Post
These are supposedly limited to 20 pieces in total per annum, which then may mean the serial number designates (but doesn’t differentiate between) the number of watch produced by the Micro Artist Studio, including the Credor models they make.
So rather than yours being the 3rd GS, it’s the 3rd piece the Studio created that month.
I’m sure if you asked the question, they’d be happy to provide you with a definitive answer.
Yeah probably that's the case. My Eichi II is ends with 014, I highly doubt they made 14 Eichi IIs in one month. They are exceptional watches but couldn't have been selling that well....I think.....