The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 21 February 2019, 04:41 AM   #121
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell996 View Post
I'm getting too old for this forum.

Nah you have that youthful strap on it

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamSLC View Post
I wonder how this whole perception would change if the AD was also involved.

For instance if you bought a 918 from the local porsche dealer, then turned it back into the same dealer on consignment after the waiting period. They sell it on the open market and collect a 10% consignment fee (dealer realizing 6 figure commission). Meanwhile you're able to skip the line and get any GT's, R's, and get another 918 at MSRP. Potentially keeping or selling as many as you want, after the waiting period.

Opposed to this AD, selling a 5740. Client realizing all the upside. Regardless of HSWA/Patek Philippe SA's internal policy.

That’s what ADs want. I know a big name dealer does that all day.
Old 21 February 2019, 04:52 AM   #122
Mbbgysam
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinr View Post
Can you imagine any other business that has this insane ridiculous no flipping rule? Go to Starbucks buy the last croissant and the guy in line in back of you says I’ll give you double what you paid for it. Starbucks then tells you we aren’t going to let you buy another croissant or muffin ever. And to respond to Russell’s last post, using the word intention as in no intention to sell is crazy also, who decides what someone’s intention is, the intention police.
The only example that comes to mind is the most recent Ford GT. Ford sued at least one owner (John Cena) who tried to flip it within the first two years.
Mbbgysam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2019, 05:02 AM   #123
BillA
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsk28 View Post
Jokes aside, I too have flipped watches due to boredom and to make way for new pieces. Who decides which pieces we are allowed or not to move?

I have had a watch* for a few weeks and decided that it wasn't to my liking (despite drooling over this piece for months) and ended up flipping it within a month. Was I in the wrong? Would I get blacklisted by PP and their AD if this was a 5711/5712?

*AP Schumacher Ti

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

It’s your watch, do what you want with it.
However, watch out for Ichi, he lives to police flippers.
He may call Patek and take your first born child.
BillA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2019, 05:20 AM   #124
Fat_ninja
Banned

Watch: P-01
Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
I prefer SAVAGE.

I wish we had an emoticon for that.

Be great if my avatar is that lol

So nice to see everyone getting along.
Fat_ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2019, 05:22 AM   #125
martinr
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbbgysam View Post
The only example that comes to mind is the most recent Ford GT. Ford sued at least one owner (John Cena) who tried to flip it within the first two years.
And what’s interesting about that case is Ford is suing him because he supposedly had a written agreement with them not to flip, but now he’s saying the agreement wasn’t with Ford, his purchase agreement was with the dealership and the dealership didn’t include an anti flip clause. If Patek and the AD selling the watch had an anti flip clause and other qualifications like Ford says they had they could probably enforce it. But if they vetted buyers and only sold to social media influencers or actors that promised to show off the watch in their next starring role etc. or musicians like Cardi B would it hurt their reputation or help it. It would be off putting to me to say the least.
martinr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2019, 05:31 AM   #126
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Can you imagine any other business that has this insane ridiculous no flipping rule? Go to Starbucks buy the last croissant and the guy in line in back of you says I’ll give you double what you paid for it. Starbucks then tells you we aren’t going to let you buy another croissant or muffin ever. And to respond to Russell’s last post, using the word intention as in no intention to sell is crazy also, who decides what someone’s intention is, the intention police.
I think you have completely missed the point, if someone buys the piece and it is ‘their’ prior intention to sell the piece at a profit instantly without wearing it and if possible without unboxing it then they are a flipper.
Russell996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2019, 06:14 AM   #127
Bearxj86
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3970
2 points:

1) My AD took my papers for my 5711 for 1 year, if ADs wanted to minimize flipping they would do that.

2) I too have fought against V25V on 5164 and on pricing no less, alas my troll power (or market knowledge) was insufficient. No hard feelings though he is who he is and I respect his troll power (or market knowledge). He definitely destroyed my self-esteem and I guess my credibility too? :)
https://www.rolexforums.com/showthre...highlight=5164
Bearxj86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2019, 06:24 AM   #128
martinr
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I think you have completely missed the point, if someone buys the piece and it is ‘their’ prior intention to sell the piece at a profit instantly without wearing it and if possible without unboxing it then they are a flipper.
Agreed. But I don’t have a problem with someone doing just that. And I’m not saying you need to agree with me either. For example if an AD told me they would have to keep the certificate of authenticity for a year or I couldn’t buy the watch from them I’d say ok I’m not buying. You might say ok I’ll take it. My opinion is it’s my property to do what I want with when I want. Apparently some people are willing to give up that right to get a watch.
Old 21 February 2019, 06:27 AM   #129
Bearxj86
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3970
Quote:
Agreed. But I don’t have a problem with someone doing just that. And I’m not saying you need to agree with me either. For example if an AD told me they would have to keep the certificate of authenticity for a year or I couldn’t buy the watch from them I’d say ok I’m not buying. You might say ok I’ll take it. My opinion is it’s my property to do what I want with when I want. Apparently some people are willing to give up that right to get a watch.
You can still flip the watch - just harder. I've had dealers offer BNIB Pateks to me but papers not for a year. They often know the seller (a respectable collector) and reputations matter alot.

One of the biggest issues with these watches you don't actually get to try them on first or spend time around them since they are so rare (I myself have not seen a 5711 in the wild outside of when I met with Brian from Boxertime f2f once). So what happens is even the most well-intention-ed collector ends up flipping cos they think they will like the watch and end up not liking it enough. These watches also cost an arm and a leg whether at retail or otherwise. Most people don't have $30k that they can have sitting around in a watch they like but don't love. I mean $30k can get you 3 modern steel rolexes.

Instagram and social media hype up some of these watches so much that social proof plays such a big piece for some people in a purchasing decision. Recently I've been joking to my wife that my watch made Kevin O'Leary cry, pretty fun stuff.

It is pretty well documented that first time Nautilus owners that have previously worn Rolex initially feel that the Nautilus is a bit "weak" or flimsy, I myself took a few weeks to fall in love. But once I fell..man I fell hard.
Bearxj86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2019, 06:41 AM   #130
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearxj86 View Post
2 points:

1) My AD took my papers for my 5711 for 1 year, if ADs wanted to minimize flipping they would do that.

2) I too have fought against V25V on 5164 and on pricing no less, alas my troll power (or market knowledge) was insufficient. No hard feelings though he is who he is and I respect his troll power (or market knowledge). He definitely destroyed my self-esteem and I guess my credibility too? :)
https://www.rolexforums.com/showthre...highlight=5164

Love you, Bear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
V25V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2019, 06:49 AM   #131
martinr
"TRF" Member

bearxj86 once you have the watch in your possession it’s yours regardless of whether you have the certificate or not. So let’s say I have money to burn, I get an AD to sell me a 5711 and he keeps the certificate. Then, I go home and make a video of myself smashing the watch with a sledgehammer and tossing it in the trash and then tell the AD to stick the certificate where the sun don’t shine. Post it on YouTube. In my opinion that scenario is no more right or wrong than flipping immediately with no intention of wearing. Some people might get a little bent out of shape over it but it’s a inanimate object and nobody is really hurt.
Old 21 February 2019, 07:05 AM   #132
danestaff
Banned

Watch: 5968a
Mmmm this is a tricky situation,
. Granted u can all flip,

but weather u will get 1st choice on new peices, I doubt it if your Ads find out

If u do flip so quick it's a shame on all genuine people wanting those watches to wear and cherish (hopefully)

Obviously if u do flip a quick couple of bucks makes u happy

Sent from my G8141 using Tapatalk
danestaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2019, 07:10 AM   #133
danestaff
Banned

Quote:
You couldn’t just let it go? You had to continue making comments.

What’s actually comical is that you call someone else soft.

You take pot shots all the time. You get called out and it just eats at you. You just can’t let it go. Talk about soft. It’s an Internet forum. And your only getting what you dish out. Yet it appears you can’t even see that.

This’ll likely get closed. Likely it should. And too bad too. All because you got called out and got a taste of what you call “speaking your mind”.
Don't go calling people out they don't like it lol

I done it and peole stick up for friends even tho they are in the wrong,

Don't let the trolls get u

Old 21 February 2019, 07:32 AM   #134
superstarmar
Banned

Watch: my wrist presence
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadridv View Post
“Had”?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dj_masse View Post
Damnnnnnnn

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wow!!! Exactly!!!
superstarmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2019, 09:27 AM   #135
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillA View Post
I have bought 2 PPs from 2 different AD’s and flipped them both. Did not have to list them on the forum because 2 of the TS bought them same day in fact. Happy to say I made a good buck. And happy to say I probably made another PP enthusiast very happy because they did not mind paying a premium. It is not my business what others do with their money.

I hope you do not report me to Patek, would not want to be tar and feathered

I must admit this thread is very funny.
Glad you are happy scalping.

My bad, I miss those 2 transactions. Or did I?
Ichiran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2019, 09:54 AM   #136
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
Quote:
You did the right thing, it very much helped the AD otherwise serious issues for them.
Thanks Russell.

I also see a possibility that I may get future hot release earlier when there are less competitors. It's a zero-sum game after all. Though the banned individual may still "exist" in another form, it does make it more difficult for him/her. That's the "business" perspective from a regular customer like me.
Ichiran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2019, 10:29 AM   #137
Fat_ninja
Banned

There is really no coming back for this thread...
Old 21 February 2019, 11:19 AM   #138
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat_ninja View Post
There is really no coming back for this thread...
Now you are just instigating. You savage.

It’s actually produced some pretty good dialogue.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2019, 01:59 PM   #139
martinr
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichiran View Post
Thanks Russell.

I also see a possibility that I may get future hot release earlier when there are less competitors. It's a zero-sum game after all. Though the banned individual may still "exist" in another form, it does make it more difficult for him/her. That's the "business" perspective from a regular customer like me.

IMG_8939.jpg

Old 21 February 2019, 03:17 PM   #140
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
I loathe nearly everything about this hobby these days.
Old 21 February 2019, 04:38 PM   #141
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichiran View Post
Thanks Russell.

Personally I wouldn’t take this view, my concern if I saw this and it was my AD would be to protect the AD. Business is hard enough these days so alerting them before Patek UK approaches them would be the only reason to make the call.
Old 21 February 2019, 07:28 PM   #142
RussW
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5990
Quote:
Personally I wouldn’t take this view, my concern if I saw this and it was my AD would be to protect the AD. Business is hard enough these days so alerting them before Patek UK approaches them would be the only reason to make the call.
The way I read his post was that he alerted Patek to the sale, not that he was trying to protect the AD. The exact opposite was my take from this.
RussW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2019, 07:35 PM   #143
Analysing You
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Russel,

I agree with you on this. As you say business is hard enough as it is, particularly now more than ever (because there are so many flippers out there who deceive AD’s to obtain sought after pieces). I would approach the AD and have a word with them discreetly, I’m sure they would appreciate it and in turn perhaps value you as a client even more.

Analysing You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2019, 07:38 PM   #144
danestaff
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analysing You View Post
Russel,

I agree with you on this. As you say business is hard enough as it is, particularly now more than ever (because there are so many flippers out there who deceive AD’s to obtain sought after pieces). I would approach the AD and have a word with them discreetly, I’m sure they would appreciate it and in turn perhaps value you as a client even more.

Agreed, and they actually do,

Old 21 February 2019, 07:53 PM   #145
dlhussain
"TRF" Member

Quote:
That's capitalism... live by the sword, die by the sword
Old 21 February 2019, 07:58 PM   #146
dlhussain
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analysing You View Post
Russel,

No one values a rat.... good or bad intentions
Old 21 February 2019, 10:20 PM   #147
Fat_ninja
Banned

Quote:
Now you are just instigating. You savage.

It’s actually produced some pretty good dialogue.
Lol. I try
Old 21 February 2019, 10:21 PM   #148
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussW View Post
The way I read his post was that he alerted Patek to the sale, not that he was trying to protect the AD. The exact opposite was my take from this.
I believe you are correct, hence the clarification on my personal view of when and why I would potentially feel empowered to speak to my AD and alert them a situation.
Old 21 February 2019, 10:34 PM   #149
justdate
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP/AP/Rolex
The numbers don’t lie, flippers are a good thing

How about this.. flippers and grey market dealers are actually doing a good thing and improve the market significantly! They help to correct the distorted market created by watch companies under pricing their goods.

I really don’t understand how a person can believe in the free market system and still feel entitled to get a product at significantly less than the market price.

The flippers are the real heroes here as they INCREASE supply in the free market to help ensure that the watch can be best allocated to the buyer willing to pay the most for it. If there were no flippers grey market pricing would be even more extreme due to the even smaller supply and even fewer deserving market participants (those willing to pay market price) would get the watches they want.

The most unhelpful market participants of all, other than PP/ADs underpricing their goods and creating the situation, are people who buy at MSRP but would not have bought at grey price. They are creating a huge inefficiency in the market and should sell their watch at the grey price to help correct the market, they are being offered more money for the watch than they value the watch at, it makes no sense (logically) to not sell.

Of course if they value the watch at more than the market price but could only afford the RRP, not the market price, then they would not sell the watch, but they should realise that it is PP who has given them free money and that’s the only reason they can afford the watch.

Why PP and other watch brands are doing this and leaving money on the table for their customers benefit is open to debate. In any case, flippers and greys are the only people doing anything to fix the market. All steps taken to reduce flipping just makes it worse, as they further reduce supply in the free market and increase the number of watches allocated to the wrong people.
justdate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2019, 10:36 PM   #150
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justdate View Post
How about this.. flippers and grey market dealers are actually doing a good thing and improve the market significantly! They help to correct the distorted market created by watch companies under pricing their goods.

I really don’t understand how a person can believe in the free market system and still feel entitled to get a product at significantly less than the market price.

The flippers are the real heroes here as they INCREASE supply in the free market to help ensure that the watch can be best allocated to the buyer willing to pay the most for it. If there were no flippers grey market pricing would be even more extreme due to the even smaller supply and even fewer deserving market participants (those willing to pay market price) would get the watches they want.

The most unhelpful market participants of all, other than PP/ADs underpricing their goods and creating the situation, are people who buy at MSRP but would not have bought at grey price. They are creating a huge inefficiency in the market and should sell their watch at the grey price to help correct the market, they are being offered more money for the watch than they value the watch at, it makes no sense (logically) to not sell.

Of course if they value the watch at more than the market price but could only afford the RRP, not the market price, then they would not sell the watch, but they should realise that it is PP who has given them free money and that’s the only reason they can afford the watch.

Why PP and other watch brands are doing this and leaving money on the table for their customers benefit is open to debate. In any case, flippers and greys are the only people doing anything to fix the market. All steps taken to reduce flipping just makes it worse, as they further reduce supply in the free market and increase the number of watches allocated to the wrong people.
I can only assume this is a joke?