The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 21 January 2021, 09:04 AM   #1
Cole11
Banned

When referring to an AD.......

Particularly regarding boutique dealers, when everyone refers to their AD are you talking about the Mgr, the SA or the owner of the store? Reason I'm asking is that the Mgr or SA may not be giving all the accurate info if it's not the owner whom you may be speaking with.
Seems to me the SA's don't even know what's coming in or when, even if its just an approx timeframe. Am I right or wrong on this discussion? Love to hear who everyone has the relationship at their particular Boutique's and if it's not the owner how accurate are they.
Cole11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2021, 09:37 AM   #2
vh2k
"TRF" Member

Owners, managers, and SAs aren’t in the business of providing “accurate” information to clientele. They will tell you to your face they don’t have a Pepsi... and, as soon as you leave, pull it from the back and sell it to someone else. Their job is to maximize lifetime customer value.
vh2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2021, 09:53 AM   #3
Cole11
Banned

My point is, if you personally know the owner for example will the information from the Mgr or SA be the same as from the owners? My understanding has been no Mgr of SA can sell any piece of desired jewelry without the owner signing off on it first.
Old 21 January 2021, 12:23 PM   #4
fskywalker
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Is Ticking !
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole11 View Post
My point is, if you personally know the owner for example will the information from the Mgr or SA be the same as from the owners? My understanding has been no Mgr of SA can sell any piece of desired jewelry without the owner signing off on it first.

Guess that depends on the delegation power the SA’s or manager have from the owner

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Zenith 02.470.405
Henry Archer Eclipse

2FA security enabled
fskywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2021, 11:14 PM   #5
turkeysub93
"TRF" Member

The brick and mortar location
turkeysub93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2021, 11:15 PM   #6
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole11 View Post
Why?
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2021, 11:24 PM   #7
mmmmp
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Wimbledon DJ41
I don't understand this thread....

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk
mmmmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2021, 02:32 AM   #8
ArtNouveau
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BLRO/Daytona/OP41s
Not sure what you're getting at either. My AD of choice is a Rolex only stand alone Boutique. The owner is a small regional chain with another store in Houston and several others in South Texas. It's a family owned business but I doubt if the "owner" has much input on day to day running of the store.
I know the manager but as far as I can tell she doesn't micro-manage her six SA's. For some models there IS a master list, I knew my place in line for both BLRO and Daytona and received them a bit sooner than the estimated timeframe. On other models, notably the new OP's, each SA has their own client list and they rotate as watches come in.
I am happy with the way things work there. I believe what my SA tells me is the truth and he has delivered on his promises.
ArtNouveau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2021, 04:05 AM   #9
Token74
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many!
I refer to everyone at the AD, there are about eight of them and they all know me by name. I typically deal with one SA or the manager, but i would happily deal with any of them, and i chat to them all when i go in. Even the security guard on the door knows my name and we generally have a quick chat when i visit. Genuinely a nice place to go.

I personally wouldn’t dream of differentiating between a sales advisor and a manager, we are all equal as people, and in my experience, all will treat you right if you treat them right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Patek Philippe Nautilus 5990 - AP Royal Oak 15300 - AP Royal Oak 15450 Blue - AP Royal Oak 15450 Silver - AP Royal Oak Offshore 26480 - Royal Oak Offshore 15710 - Rolex Sea Dweller 116600 - Rolex Daytona 116519 - Rolex GMT 126710 BLRO - Omega Speedmaster Reduced - JLC Reverso GMT Moonphase - TAG Microtimer - Dent Pocket Watch - JLC Atmos Phases de lune
Token74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2021, 04:21 AM   #10
brucethemanlee
"TRF" Member

i think that totally depends on the AD and how the owner / manager wants to run their own business. Some SAs may know everything. Some SAs may know nothing. Some owners make all the decisions on who to sell to. Some owners couldn't care less. And everything in between
brucethemanlee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2021, 04:34 AM   #11
ArtNouveau
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BLRO/Daytona/OP41s
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucethemanlee View Post
i think that totally depends on the AD and how the owner / manager wants to run their own business. Some SAs may know everything. Some SAs may know nothing. Some owners make all the decisions on who to sell to. Some owners couldn't care less. And everything in between
Good example...I was visiting my SA in October of '19 and the manager stopped over to say hi. My SA noted that my next piece should be in soon. She asked what I was getting and he said a black Daytona. She just nodded and walked off which tells me that she did not have to "approve" me to get one.
ArtNouveau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2021, 10:23 AM   #12
HansSolo
"TRF" Member

Maybe they know what's coming in or they don't, but what if they say a bunch of Daytonas or GMTs are en route to the boutique when you want to know. Couldn't that information set up a security risk, especially depending on location? It's their business, and not everything needs to be shared. I heard every delivery is random anyhow. I suppose only the owner would know, like you say..
HansSolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2021, 10:26 AM   #13
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
I know them all, but it doesn’t hurt to know the owner
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2021, 10:37 AM   #14
Cole11
Banned

So I guess the general consensus is that is varies across the board. Since we are already on here has anyone heard that their AD is still waiting on some incomings that were promised from rolex in 2020?
Old 22 January 2021, 12:38 PM   #15
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

Big Chains:

1) SA engages and notes interest. If individual has an adequate purchase history with the chain, they will be put on an advocacy list that is collated by store management. If they don't have adequate purchase, it will be suggested to the buyer to "buy more" for further consideration. This would be in the form of a bundle or longer term spending....the SA could also tell the inquiring individual that it's a 10yr wait and go away if they detect tire kicking, flipping mindset or neurotic tendencies. No time for any problems in Rolexville...at least in this current market.

2) If you made it to the store manager list, then the store manager will send this to corp. At that level the regional VP or = will make the call as to who gets what watch and when and they hold the master list.

3) If the client is big enough spender, then they are automatically on corp allocation and will be called immediately upon receipt of the newest references to come in and pick it up. No effort needed on the part of the customer. They have the heavy lifting done.

As for independent stores, this process is murkier and involves "owners" and management.

It seems that Rolex is shying away from this model as it it doesn't perfectly align with their operating practices in terms of many things, including hot reference allocation and showroom standards, so I expect the culling of those Independent doors to continue.
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2021, 01:29 PM   #16
Cole11
Banned

Fleetlord-
Very insightful, thank you for that!
Old 22 January 2021, 02:00 PM   #17
vh2k
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetlord View Post
Big Chains:

1) SA engages and notes interest. If individual has an adequate purchase history with the chain, they will be put on an advocacy list that is collated by store management. If they don't have adequate purchase, it will be suggested to the buyer to "buy more" for further consideration. This would be in the form of a bundle or longer term spending....the SA could also tell the inquiring individual that it's a 10yr wait and go away if they detect tire kicking, flipping mindset or neurotic tendencies. No time for any problems in Rolexville...at least in this current market.

2) If you made it to the store manager list, then the store manager will send this to corp. At that level the regional VP or = will make the call as to who gets what watch and when and they hold the master list.

3) If the client is big enough spender, then they are automatically on corp allocation and will be called immediately upon receipt of the newest references to come in and pick it up. No effort needed on the part of the customer. They have the heavy lifting done.
Or you just happen to walk in at the right time. A hot watch comes in and the first person who wants to buy it, gets it — no list, no checking with the manager, etc.

Plenty of times I’ve been offered watches just for showing up on Tuesday at 11:00AM when they are unloading a shipment. James Cameron, WG Daytona, and many others. Big chain SAs often go for the easy sale.
vh2k is offline   Reply With Quote