The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 21 January 2021, 05:20 AM   #31
cj3209
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer II-16570
Although the ADs I've contacted have been courteous, I have no patience for buying 'additional' items, in addition to the watch I'm interested in. I also have little patience to wait a year for a watch - even if it's a Rolex. LOL...

I have and will continue to do business with greys that provide superior customer service without the AD BS. Yes, I'm paying more but so what? At least I don't have any additional jewelry that I don't need and I can wear a watch that I want NOW.

For the OP, it is what it is. Go back to a nice grey dealer and purchase your BLRO and be done with it; life is too short to rant (a little is OK, though...).

Cheers.
cj3209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2021, 05:24 AM   #32
Sprta
"TRF" Member

It appears to be from all the threads with rants, lengthy dissertations, or reasons why they are leaving Rolex, is mainly because they cannot obtain the most difficult to acquire Rolex SS watches at MSRP. If these watches were readily available they would not be as popular and buyers would chase after other brand watches that are difficult to obtain. Generally people want what they cannot get.
Sprta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2021, 05:35 AM   #33
turkeysub93
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJRJRJ View Post
Why do you think that figure has little merit? COSC numbers for each brand were published yearly up until a few years ago (supposedly because of pressure from Rolex). <-----that last part may have little merit, but I've read it a few times.
The figure has little merit because it's nothing more than an estimate given the lack of publishing production data the past few years. The 1,0000,000 is just an arbitrary number.
turkeysub93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2021, 07:20 AM   #34
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprta View Post
It appears to be from all the threads with rants, lengthy dissertations, or reasons why they are leaving Rolex, is mainly because they cannot obtain the most difficult to acquire Rolex SS watches at MSRP. If these watches were readily available they would not be as popular and buyers would chase after other brand watches that are difficult to obtain. Generally people want what they cannot get.
It’s soooo true.

I skim through the pontifical bloviating searching for the reference that is the cause of the rant. You guessed it. Daytona, Pepsi, Sub...etc.
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2021, 08:49 AM   #35
teck21
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Black Bay 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack T View Post
I'm not sure it's as simple as you describe. I've spoken to an AD who said that in years' past they received thirty Submariners per year, now they expect six. Before the ceramic Daytona was introduced they received 16 - 20, last year they had four to sell; display cases are empty everywhere with wait lists unlike anything anyone has ever seen.
Many new ADs have sprouted in Asia and countries formerly too poor to support Rolex consumption. Indonesia, India, Vietnam, Russia.... the list goes on.

It is perfectly natural that there each existing AD gets less of everything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
teck21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2021, 08:51 AM   #36
teck21
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcjvr View Post

Rolex is still the watch of the middle class. Let’s not kid ourselves about the bar being higher
If that’s the case, why does the middle class seem to be having so much difficulty obtaining one (popular reference)?

Old 21 January 2021, 09:01 AM   #37
RoscoPico
"TRF" Member

Watch: ingMe,WatchingYou.
I'm glad you didn't go and blast Rolex because I don't think you have a reason to.
Rolex itself probably has done nothing wrong, infact they have done everything right.

And I do agree it is frustrating for people who want to buy one. I consider myself extremely luck to really not be longing for any Rolex whatsoever (sure there are a few I'd ad, but I can say that about every brand).

And I do agree, there are a lot of shitty business owners (AD's) who are definitely giving Rolex a bad name.
RoscoPico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2021, 09:03 AM   #38
RoscoPico
"TRF" Member

Watch: ingMe,WatchingYou.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetlord View Post
It’s pretty comical when you think about it. Other brands with great quality watches, available right now, completely ignored. Those brands must be beside themselves. But, they are overproducing, over distributing and the market sees no value in that.
couldn't agree more.
RoscoPico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2021, 09:09 AM   #39
MTdweller
"TRF" Member

Watch: the time fly!
Yes, the lack of supply and high secondary market prices are unfortunate. I started looking at Rolex around the same time as you and I miss walking into an AD and seeing just about everything in the lineup. Keep building a relationship with your AD and try to be patient. If you are willing to pay market premiums, I’m sure any grey out there would be happy to help you get what you are looking for!
MTdweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2021, 09:12 AM   #40
bejzv
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by uhren917 View Post
You answered your own question.

As a business owner, the ideal situation is demand for your product.

Rolex cases are empty, other brands are not.

This is a luxury item. Your options are to go grey or to move on.

Seems like going grey went in your favor before, and now it has swung the other way.
This has always been simply business and Rolex knows how well to play it.
I think if one is too frustrated, they just go grey and cut the long wait.
bejzv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2021, 09:20 AM   #41
Marcjvr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270
Quote:
Originally Posted by teck21 View Post
If that’s the case, why does the middle class seem to be having so much difficulty obtaining one (popular reference)?

Cos there’s a lot of people in the middle class who have been hooked by the hype
Marcjvr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2021, 10:32 AM   #42
Iven
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMTMaster II
IMHO Rolex is doing a great job. As a businessman, I admire their track record. There is no denying the demand for their products - the market proves it - and the market doesn't lie. Ask the general population what watch brand they'd like to have if money is not a consideration, and I'd wager the lions share of responses would be "Rolex". It takes skill to build that level of brand recognition and admired brand image.

But I'm getting off the topic of my reply.

Personally, I enjoyed the challenge, this year, of acquiring a replacement for my SS black on black 16710 GMT Master II. The old GMT was on my wrist 24/7 from 2004 to 2020 with only 2 short breaks for servicing. At work.
At the gym. With clients. In the ocean. Black tie events. Competing in races. You name it - the watch was always there. Reliable. Steadfast. Clean, simple design. Personally, I view the Rolex GMT Master II as the greatest watch ever made -- so, in August, I just wanted to swap out for a newer model. (Why the greatest? I'll detail that in a separate post.) Anyway... it took some creativity, but I received my 2020 GMT Master II BLRO from an AD in Chicago December 2020. And I didn't even know the AD before that first visit, mid-August.

Sure, there is scarcity of supply... but, just as in business, you can get what you want, regardless of supply, if you spend the time to form a personal relationship and keep an open mind.

It seems some in the forum are bemoaning, "It shouldn't be this hard to get what I want." I humbly reply "Heck, most of the things I'm most satisfied with in life came to me through great effort." Rolex seems to understand that, and it enhances their brand.
Iven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2021, 10:39 AM   #43
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by kieselguhr View Post
Sorry to hear about your frustration. Hopefully you get the BLRO sooner rather than later.

My own experience walking into random ADs here in Las Vegas, you get the typical “we have nothing in stock due to high demand.” They take your name down for a list and you play the waiting game.

I am fortunate to have had been shopping at the same AD for a good part of a decade and they have always been honest and forthcoming with me with regard to watches. I’m no big spender in comparison to everyone else that shops there but so far I have gotten every watch I have asked for within reasonable time.
Likely because you are a gentleman.

Manners are priceless.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2021, 01:12 PM   #44
cvo
"TRF" Member

Watch: 117610LN 116610LN
What if Rolex doubled MRSP, would we still be in the same environment?
cvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2021, 01:22 PM   #45
RJRJRJ
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvo View Post
All the "never pay more than MSRP" folks would be like:

RJRJRJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2021, 01:25 PM   #46
Hollie_Rollie
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: SD43
Rolex Disappointment After a Long Hiatus

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvo View Post

Possibly. And then when the hype fades and people realize a sub date isn’t worth 12k Rolex will be stuck with a 12k MSRP sub forced to either discount or lower MSRP altogether. 3 years ago a sub date was 7.5k on the grey. 3 years isn’t a blip on the radar in the grand scheme. Reason why I don’t believe Rolex will ever raise their MSRP to meet the hype. Plus all these greys inflate their prices by selling amongst themselves. No thank you. OP I would look at other brands that are doing more exciting things. You can always circle back when things get back to 2012
Hollie_Rollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2021, 02:45 PM   #47
liberalclown
"TRF" Member

Scenario 1: Rolex meets the demand and up the production
As a result of this, cases will start getting fuller day by day, the people who want one gets one and once that initial rush is over, ADs will start carrying excess stock. And then they will start chasing customers to offload their stock and often give discounts. Once the average Joe realizes that as soon as they leave the store with their new Rolex, it will lose value, they will consider twice purchasing one. Even if they do, even with a discount, they will do it with a second thought on their mind, often with buyers remorse.

Scenario 2: Rolex increases their MSRP to Grey levels
At first demand will stay strong, after all it is Rolex who increased it and not a random Grey, but soon people will realize Daytona is no way a 30k watch and start to move away from the brand. ADs will start carrying excess stock. And then they will start chasing customers to offload their stock and often give discounts. Once the average Joe realizes that as soon as they leave the store with their new Rolex, it will lose value, they will consider twice purchasing one. Even if they do, even with a discount, they will do it with a second thought on their mind, often with buyers remorse.

Both scenarios impact both ADs and Rolex financially negatively, it damages the brand value and recognition. So why would Rolex pursue them? Or why would ADs work hard to meet the demand.

ADs are happy because their stock fly off the shelves even without trying with zero discount. Rolex is happy because the brand value is on the rise and they sell what they produce, all of them. Customers are happy because they buy with confidence knowing what they buy is pretty much a commodity, can be turned into cash when in need and they make thousand immediately after walking out of the store with their green bag.

Like it was previously stated above, sometimes it is better to spend an effort to achieve something to appreciate it better. Don’t get me wrong I rant about the same way, complain about shady ADs as much as everyone, but at the end I enjoy the game and still be in it. If this is a game, at the end, it is being played by three party and all seems to enjoy it because it is kept being played.
liberalclown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2021, 06:36 PM   #48
PSTW
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by teck21 View Post
How is Rolex playing games with its customers?

It is producing a set number of watches each year, like it always has and always does.

The other cases are full because people simply want to buy Rolex rather than the other brands .

It is unfortunate you are presently unable to obtain what you desire and feel you have earned as a projection or realisation of personal success.

Consider the possibility that the bar, as far as Rolex is concerned has moved higher. Times change.

People who think like that must be furious to learn that people like me still buy steel Rolex watches to beat the sh*t out of under water!
PSTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2021, 08:32 PM   #49
teck21
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSTW View Post
People who think like that must be furious to learn that people like me still buy steel Rolex watches to beat the sh*t out of under water!

I don’t care how you or anybody else he fun with their watches!

I am merely pointing out the fact that most Rolex buyers today regard it as a fashion accessory.

See how many daily threads there are about ‘a beater watch’ (that’s not Rolex)? And it’s always a cheaper watch, like a Tudor, I wonder why that is!

Old 21 January 2021, 08:58 PM   #50
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5205R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcjvr View Post
I was watching a Pga tour event recently and I saw about 3 Rolex commercials in 2 hours.

I chuckled to myself thinking about all the people who may see those ads and decide it is time for a Rolex, only to head to an AD to find empty cases and disappointment

Maybe Rolex needs to add a disclaimer to there ads that inventory is not guaranteed.

Rolex is still the watch of the middle class. Let’s not kid ourselves about the bar being higher
Actually Rolex is the watch of the upper middle class. There’s a big difference between the lower middle class, middle middle class and upper middle class. The upper middle class have seen lots of new people enter into it this past few years. That’s going to reverse rapidly in the next six months to a year. My advice to the OP is be patient because soon enough, depending on Covid of course, those cases will be filled with Rolex once again. Just like they were in 2014.

Advice to greys with a full or overstock of highly desired models. Sell them bad boys now.

Pride goes before destruction, and haughtiness before a fall.

Often times unbelief is disguised as wisdom

Instagram - patton250
Patton250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2021, 09:00 PM   #51
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton250 View Post

Advice to greys with a full or overstock of highly desired models. Sell them bad boys now.
And to ME at a HUGE DISCOUNT!
TheVTCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2021, 09:23 PM   #52
Stevie_Goodlife
"TRF" Member

Watch: Five Digit GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVTCGuy View Post
Reading all these threads about WISes frustration, I feel really it is more how the customer is treated at the AD. I walked in to the Rolex Boutique at a mall here in San Diego, with a couple other TRFers. I was wearing my SkyDweller, the others were wearing very nice pieces, one had a PM. The reception we got was horrid. The SAs were snobbish and rude, telling us outright they wouldn't sell a SS if they got it in to just us, they were reserved for "primary customers." It was downright shameful.

Then, I hear a story about someone walking in to an AD asking to buy a Pepsi, or Daytona, no history, and they are treated very politely. This happened at the AD I was in the other day. A gentleman walked in and asked for a Daytona. I had to stifle a laugh but the SA was very gracious, and explained they were extremely hard to come by, and it would be literally years before there was even a possibility, unless there was a drastic change of some kind. He did not rush, he of course offered to show him other chronographs, asked if the gentleman would be interested in a Brietling or a Tudor. I would expect this from a reputable sales rep, and there was nothing devious about it. The point is the rep was respectful and honest.

This scarcity has given some ADs a sense of empowerment, "We have the power to grant to someone something a lot of people desire" and it reflects in their customer service. To me, that is the most frustrating part of not being able to walk in to an AD and buy a model at MSRP.

Spot on!

Old 21 January 2021, 09:23 PM   #53
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5205R
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVTCGuy View Post
And to ME at a HUGE DISCOUNT!

Unfortunately my friend in today’s grey prices a “huge discount” on a Daytona would be selling it at 24K. LOL

Pride goes before destruction, and haughtiness before a fall.

Often times unbelief is disguised as wisdom

Instagram - patton250
Patton250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2021, 08:49 AM   #54
cvo
"TRF" Member

Watch: 117610LN 116610LN
I am not convinced that it would ever go back to how was 10 years ago. Once people get hooked on Rolex, it is difficult to look to another brand. For the price, it is the lowest priced watch that has all the benefits of owning and enjoying Rolex watches.
cvo is offline   Reply With Quote