The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 21 January 2021, 10:09 AM   #31
teck21
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Black Bay 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by s46 View Post
I like steel and PM
but honestly with all due respect
anyone who would pay the same price for a steel watch as a PM watch needs their head examined

Anyone who thinks Bitcoin is worth $1, let alone $40,000 also needs to have their head examined.

Hasn’t stopped a whole lot of them making a whole lot of money.

Just because a lot of speculation in today’s economy appears irrational does not mean it can’t be profitable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
teck21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2021, 10:09 AM   #32
Gary Busey
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Black Bay
Quote:
Originally Posted by s46 View Post
I like steel and PM
but honestly with all due respect
anyone who would pay the same price for a steel watch as a PM watch needs their head examined

Doxa Sub 200, SKX009
Aquastar Deepstar
Gary Busey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2021, 10:28 AM   #33
BS26809
"TRF" Member

If I like the model in both of the material offerings, I would personally go PM.

Last edited by BS26809; 21 January 2021 at 10:29 AM.. Reason: Typo
BS26809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2021, 10:37 AM   #34
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
I prefer PM.

Far prefer.

And imo, Rolex saves the better color combos for PM.

Maybe I’m just the sucker that buys into it. I fully acknowledge that possibility. But the PM watches all look way better to me.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2021, 10:39 AM   #35
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Congratulations. Great watch.

The market price of SS models compared to their PM siblings was narrowing very temptingly until recently. The gulf seems wider now. As far as material value goes, some of the TTs make more sense, but TT is more of an acquired taste and often visually miles away from its SS sibling.

I have met the WG Smurf 11 series in my AD. I'm glad I didn't have the necessary funds to hand because it was very hard to resist. The thing I noticed about it apart from the weight was the visual difference between WG and SS (I had my Hulk on that day). The depth, density and projection of the WG lustre was nothing like SS. It looked bigger because it had more presence.
Harry-57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2021, 12:52 PM   #36
samgobigs
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by macrowatch View Post
SS is a better 'status symbol' is trying to project. It represents list price plus all the other dollars spent for the honor of paying list price.

Personally, I'd like the PM or just whatever dial combination I like best.

More fun wise, good thing we aren't talking about SS vs AP Ceramic!!!!

Actually this is the thing I’m trying to get my head around. Wouldn’t a rose gold or yellow gold watch be considered more prestigious than a SS watch of the same model?
samgobigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2021, 12:55 PM   #37
samgobigs
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterpl View Post
I guess you havent been paying any attention to precious metal pieces at the grays either?

Its sky sky high.

When you compare someone paying $27k for a SS Daytona well a full PM Daytona is nowhere near $27k now.

Also SS is NOT hard to option. Its everywhere - its only an illusion because every dick and harry can afford SS at MSRP. Now, there are certain ppl who love SS and will pay 3 x price for a SS Daytona because they actually love it and cant get one because the wait list at MSRP is 10000000 long, whereas the list for gold at $40k is only 10 long. Its all illusions to make you think its rare. There is just 100000x more buyers making it seem that way.
True. I suppose my comparison wasn’t an apple to apple comparison. I was just playing out a hypothetical situation if my AD offered me a PM Daytona when I really want the SS version. I could buy the AD PM version or decline and wait for a SS or go Grey and buy the SS for a similar price.
samgobigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2021, 01:05 PM   #38
Mikichi
"TRF" Member

No brainer for me. PM given similar prices. Rolex reserves the best dial colors for PMs. PM models used to target a smaller segment of buyers but with the narrower price gaps with SS models recently more people have turned to PMs. However as an effect of this prices of PMs also rise and we are seeing the gaps widening again.
Mikichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2021, 01:09 PM   #39
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Shiny One
For me: WG>SS>RG>YG>TT
pickettt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2021, 01:43 PM   #40
esdeezy
"TRF" Member

SS is more versatile and you can wear it to work, so it gets more mileage.
esdeezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2021, 01:54 PM   #41
Robert Bruce
Banned

In 5-10 years, the PM model will likely be...

worth a good deal less than its original price while the SS model will likely be worth a good deal more.
Robert Bruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2021, 01:59 PM   #42
whited3
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD4K
Ok folks the reality is SS and PM are not the same price. I wish I could get PM for the price of SS...

That said, I wouldn't prefer a collection without SS and I wouldn't prefer one without PM either.
whited3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2021, 03:50 PM   #43
peterpl
Banned

Honestly I think common sense is returning in terms of SS hype.

The most extreme example was the SS Daytona. That is the most hyped piece to ever hit this planet.

(i.e) SS Daytona are around $27k and at one point full gold Daytona's were around the $32k mark.

Now.....I think many people have woken up to this fact and realised how overpriced and overhyped the SS was OR how undervalued the gold was. Now gold pieces are close to $40k and Rose Gold are like $45k.

So the difference in SS and Gold has returned. Traditionally SS was about 3 x cheaper than gold and that balance is now pretty much restored.

(i.e)

SS Sub LN - $13k or so. Full Gold YG sub is now $38-$40k. So around 3x
SS SkyD - $20k or so. Full Gold SkyD is now between $50k-$58k depending if YG or RG - so thats now around x3 again as well.
SS GMT BLRO - $18k. Full WG BLRO is now $43-$45k. Not 3x yet but getting close again

So the traditional difference between SS and Gold has already returned for many models.

If you were someone that bought gold pieces around 2016-2018 your laughing. Your up a crapload of money compared to how gold prices have skyrocketed now.
peterpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2021, 03:41 AM   #44
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
Quote:
Originally Posted by samgobigs View Post

Essentially, why are people paying the same price for a stainless steel watch when you can get a precious metal watch for a similar price? I know this won't apply to every model, but in the case of a grey-market stainless steel Daytona, and comparing to a PM daytona at a AD, the prices of the SS model is closely approaching the PM model.

I always thought that the PM models would put a 'hard ceiling' on SS grey market prices. Once the prices of SS pieces increase on the grey market, there would be a point where it would no longer make sense to buy the SS model and instead buyers would goto the AD to buy the PM model, for a similar price point.

Yet people are still biting on SS pieces that are selling on the grey market for close to PM prices from an AD. If I was given the choice of a PM piece or a SS piece for the same price, I would go PM, but I am really curious why people are still buying SS at such prices?
A. First, you have to understand the prices for steel and PM aren't really similar anymore. That argument used to be in effect when the inflation of steel matched up pretty well to the "usual" discount we could score on PM...those days are gone. Just looking at your Daytona example, you're not getting a PM Daytona for anywhere remotely close to even the gray price of a steel model.

B. Watch collecting is a funny business. All about preferences, really. The demand for steel has always been high. For good reason, too...they are fantastic references. I remember reading, many years ago when I first started collecting, that steel Daytona's were prized more than their gold counterparts, and having a hard time wrapping my head around that. The answer? It just is...and always has been.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2021, 04:27 AM   #45
breitlings
Banned

Watch: Apple TV
Things have cycles.
breitlings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2021, 04:43 AM   #46
101031-28
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1665
Quote:
Originally Posted by acheronsgrief View Post
I’d never go for SS at even close to PM prices. I know I’m in the minority who vastly prefers PM and doesn’t even really like SS, but when you take price out of the equation it’s a no brainer to me. Buy what you want but to me, materials matter a ton.
Agree

Ian Fleming
101031-28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2021, 04:51 AM   #47
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
Originally Posted by samgobigs View Post
. . .

Essentially, why are people paying the same price for a stainless steel watch when you can get a precious metal watch for a similar price? I know this won't apply to every model, but in the case of a grey-market stainless steel Daytona, and comparing to a PM daytona at a AD, the prices of the SS model is closely approaching the PM model.

. . .
Prices are not based on the material a commodity is made of, it is based on demand, availability, and what a willing buyer will pay.

Mont Blanc pens are made of plastic, Cross pens are steel, compare prices.
Old 22 January 2021, 04:51 AM   #48
imsayingthough
"TRF" Member

Generally speaking - A PM daytona says you have money.
A SS daytona says you have money, accesss, exclusivity etc. People like to pay for that.

I have never nor do i think i would ever pay grey prices for a SS watch. That being said all my watches are SS sports.

If I ever had to chose between SS and PM price being equal, im going PM 100% of the time.
imsayingthough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2021, 05:02 AM   #49
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
Am I understanding the question correctly? If you had the finances (money) to purchase either a PM model or a SS, and they were the same price, which would you chose? Uhm... A PM of course.
TheVTCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2021, 05:32 AM   #50
mmalek1
"TRF" Member

Watch: This one.
I thought they were the same price these days :)
♛16610LV, ♛116710BLNR, ♛214270, ♛116610LN, ♛216570, ♛116900, ♛16600, ♛116400GV, ΩSpeedmaster Silver Snoopy 45th and 50th, ΩSpeedmaster ST1, ΩCK859, Seiko Alpinist SPB089, Casio Oceanus S100, Ball DM1020
mmalek1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2021, 08:00 AM   #51
Token74
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many!
Quote:
Originally Posted by envuks View Post
It’s a good question. My thoughts:

Even PM daytonas can sometimes be difficult to get at AD. This is reflected in current grey market pricing / availability.

SS pieces seem to be desirable for a few reasons:
1) they’re still cheaper than PM. Even if only by $5k-$10k in the grey market. For someone who prefers a subtle style, they may choose to save a few grand by getting SS over WG.
2) there’s a status to Rolex SS. Like it or not, it exists. Getting an SS watch from AD has been positioned as a rare event, one with prestige. It’s special. Even if someone pays $25k for a 116500 in the grey market for example, no one else needs to know this. They can still present themselves as a recipient of said prestige despite actually obtaining the piece elsewhere.

Just my initial thoughts. I’m sure other members will have some great ideas.

Yep.

Patek Philippe Nautilus 5990 - AP Royal Oak 15300 - AP Royal Oak 15450 Blue - AP Royal Oak 15450 Silver - AP Royal Oak Offshore 26480 - Royal Oak Offshore 15710 - Rolex Sea Dweller 116600 - Rolex Daytona 116519 - Rolex GMT 126710 BLRO - Omega Speedmaster Reduced - JLC Reverso GMT Moonphase - TAG Microtimer - Dent Pocket Watch - JLC Atmos Phases de lune
Token74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2021, 08:31 AM   #52
GMT Aviator
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Buying SS for PM prices? No way. Not even for percieved prestige. That’s the hype wagon truly going off the rails.

The worlds gone mad.
GMT Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2021, 10:11 AM   #53
jojosnr
"TRF" Member

Unless the SS is vintage or special limited edition, maybe. But for a mass production watch that is still in production, no brainer. Yes, it i snot just about the price of the base material, but precisou metal also require more care, and diffculties in the manufacturing process. But people is not rational, and especially in luxury good.
jojosnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2021, 10:48 AM   #54
JSCP
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex PM’s/Patek
They Hype of SS it’s because people couldn’t afford PM
prices for many years. then SS is “casual” and in a country like USA sneakers and t shirt and faded oversized jeans are a strong attire, for the wealthy or not so wealthy then it fits that style.

My PM watches-are strong as steel . It’s really if you are the abuser of the watch it will ding.

PM are my favorite son my collection and I have both types.

Why pay PM price anyway for an SS one??
PM’s are going up in price in grey. Just prices
my PM everose Daytona chocolate dial and it’s almost double than why I paid (20%discount 3 years ago)

So there you have it: PM and Hot SS are now hard to get period.
DD40 RG/Sundust-Roman;DD40YG/White/Roman;DD40 WG/Olive;Daytona RG;Sub Black YG; Daytona Panda; Celebration 41; GMT-II’s: Left VTNR; GRNR; Batman; SkyDweller SSJubilee/Black; SUB no-date; Oysterquartz SS; DJ SS 36mm’87; Cartier: Roadster YG;Santos YG; Panther YG; Panther SS; Tank’73 YG, Tank must 2023 ;Tank Americaine YG;BulgariBB38mm/YG
JSCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2021, 11:34 AM   #55
uhren917
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710 BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by SN13 View Post
Here are my $14k YM and $10k DD. both purchased in 2019.

Or just go buy a $28k SS Daytona.
THIS!
uhren917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2021, 11:41 AM   #56
Utomow
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN, 126334
Stainless steel vs Precious metal if same price

It’s just market perception that SS has similar price to PM

Utomow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2021, 11:55 AM   #57
upsidedownbelt
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116618LB
A new Daytona on the gray market is in the mid 20’s. A new full gold piece at the same gray is over 40. That’s still a big difference. Most newer gold pieces are double or triple what a new ss piece is. I don’t consider the price of any modern ss piece to be approaching a similar gold piece. I would rather have a ceramic Pepsi than a old DD.
upsidedownbelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2021, 11:59 AM   #58
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Quote:

Really neat watches. Well selected.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2021, 12:13 PM   #59
bradyb
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
If you're into SS but curious about Rolex white (grey) gold, you can't go wrong as it's an amazing metal. Doesn't scratch any more easily, wears great, and not many people know what it is.

So if you're on the fence - especially now with prices being what they are - don't hesitate to try one out.
bradyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2021, 12:38 PM   #60
SushiSean
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Damn nice!
SushiSean is offline   Reply With Quote