The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 13 November 2020, 12:32 PM   #1
Sacha82
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 16710
Vintage Tudor 79160

Hello! Quite new to the Forum, with a tiny collection of SS tool watches. I'm not properly a collector, but just own a specific few watches and will wear them until my final reward. Not a buy/sell/buy another kind of guy.

I first began "collecting" in 1994 while stationed in London (USN 26 years). First purchase was a 6466 at a tiny independent jeweler, then a 16610 at the AAFES Exchange in the basement of the building I worked in.

My first AD purchase is the subject of this post. I had known about Tudor and was originally interested in purchasing a 79190 but got the Rolex Sub instead. So I looked at Tudor chronographs; after considering a yellow-dial Tiger and a 79170 with black dial/white subdials, I ended up with this:

The saleswoman talked me out of the yellow-dial Tiger, suggesting that the 79160 was a better choice, being less-gaudy and potentially the more popular choice in the long run. In the end, I decided on my own the understated look would wear better over the years. Good call.

It's seen a couple of services, one polish, a bracelet repair, new crown, refinishing of the bezel acrylic, three replaced acrylic crystals - and it's still going strong. It was put away for a number of years after its last service because it came back looking so good I was afraid to wear it!

I've only recently began wearing it again during the COVID crisis since I'm indoors so much. A lot of sentimentality tied up in this one. I hope you've enjoyed seeing it as much as I've enjoyed owning and sharing it. Cheers!

S82
Sacha82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2020, 12:49 PM   #2
Kingsking
"TRF" Member

Nice watch, these are pretty collectable and the values reflect that . Curious how much you paid for it ?
Old 13 November 2020, 12:55 PM   #3
zapokee
"TRF" Member

Very nice. The sales lady did you a big favor there!
zapokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2020, 01:18 PM   #4
Dan Pierce
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex-1 Tudor-3
Great choice, Jeff! I had a 79170 w/ black dial & white subs. I later put a silver dial w/ blacks subs on a 79270P. The Tudor silver dials are stunners.
dP
The Crown & Shield Club
Honorary Member of P-Club
Dan Pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2020, 03:12 PM   #5
Sacha82
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingsking View Post
Nice watch, these are pretty collectable and the values reflect that . Curious how much you paid for it ?
Thank you! Price info from original outer box:

The exchange rate was 1.56 during the two years I was there, so it was right around 1300 USD. I recall getting a bit of a discount because there was a mix-up; it was their last 79160 and they couldn't find the hang tags or Tudor wallet that should have been included in the full set.

It's hard to know values without really doing a lot of research. Once in awhile I will check to see how often they come up on the Bay and what they command these days, but that's about it. Once or twice I halfheartedly thought about selling it - when I wasn't wearing it - but sentimentality won out. Then we get into the condition - and I can already tell from lurking on this forum that there is a wide gulf of varying opinions about condition/polishing/etc and how much is too much. Yikes. Glad I've no intention of selling.

S82
Old 13 November 2020, 03:14 PM   #6
Sacha82
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zapokee View Post
Very nice. The sales lady did you a big favor there!
I actually went back about six months later and thanked her. The yellow Tiger was gone, but lucky me, it wasn't on MY wrist

S82
Old 13 November 2020, 03:20 PM   #7
Sacha82
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Pierce View Post
Great choice, Jeff! I had a 79170 w/ black dial & white subs. I later put a silver dial w/ blacks subs on a 79270P. The Tudor silver dials are stunners.
dP
Thank you, Dan! I've never grown tired of it, so that's a good sign I didn't choose poorly. I tell you, though, every time I see a photo of a 79160 with the black/white (or silver) subs I think I wouldn't mind having a pair of like watches with different dials.

This silver dial had an interesting and strange discoloration before its first service. When viewed at an angle it had a filmy look - almost like fuel floating on water, with some various color hues? Anyway, after the first service it was gone, but the missing lume plot at 9 was still the same, so it's definitely the same dial. I kinda wish it still had that effect, and have been hoping it would come back with time. So far no, but it is beginning to develop micro-cracking now.

S82
Old 13 November 2020, 10:24 PM   #8
Dan Pierce
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex-1 Tudor-3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacha82 View Post
Thank you, Dan! I've never grown tired of it, so that's a good sign I didn't choose poorly. I tell you, though, every time I see a photo of a 79160 with the black/white (or silver) subs I think I wouldn't mind having a pair of like watches with different dials.

This silver dial had an interesting and strange discoloration before its first service. When viewed at an angle it had a filmy look - almost like fuel floating on water, with some various color hues? Anyway, after the first service it was gone, but the missing lume plot at 9 was still the same, so it's definitely the same dial. I kinda wish it still had that effect, and have been hoping it would come back with time. So far no, but it is beginning to develop micro-cracking now.

S82
Jeff,

I wonder if the filmy look was in fact the crystal and not the dial? Hard to tell but if so, it might return as the current flex crystal ages.

Either way, you have a great looking classic there!
dP
The Crown & Shield Club
Honorary Member of P-Club
Dan Pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2020, 04:23 AM   #9
dmachine
"TRF" Member

Vintage Tudor 79160

These are great watches! My 79180 has the same silver/black hands on the subdials and they are magic!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2020, 07:12 AM   #10
enginerd
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many
Nice choice!

These Big Blocks are my FAVORITE. I've had 8, sold 7.

Kept the Albino 79160.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20171010_153742_resized.jpg (215.4 KB, 216 views)
enginerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2020, 07:35 AM   #11
drockadam
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pepsi.
Gorgeous Tudor Chrono.

You have the best dial/bezel combo IMO. A true beauty! Enjoy it
Old 14 November 2020, 07:36 AM   #12
Nikrnic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blnr, Expll, Subs,
Congrats! I'd like to find a big block myself. Tigers are everywhere, You made the right choice. Enjoy!!...

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Nikrnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2020, 01:48 PM   #13
Sacha82
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmachine View Post
These are great watches! My 79180 has the same silver/black hands on the subdials and they are magic!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Very nice! I like the 79180 too - that bezel is more practical than the one on mine. The acrylic cracked after a couple good dings to the bezel; your version would be more rugged. Looks super, too. I have been very careful not to bonk the bezel since it was re-done.

Can't beat the dial combo for legibility, that's for sure.

S82
Old 14 November 2020, 01:51 PM   #14
Sacha82
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drockadam View Post
Gorgeous Tudor Chrono.

You have the best dial/bezel combo IMO. A true beauty! Enjoy it
I like it, too - a perfect balance visually. The only drawback is the acrylic inlay on this bezel is prone to cracking if the bezel takes a good enough knock.

S82
Old 14 November 2020, 01:57 PM   #15
Sacha82
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enginerd View Post
Nice choice!

These Big Blocks are my FAVORITE. I've had 8, sold 7.

Kept the Albino 79160.
First time I've seen that dial combo - nice! I've never even heard discussion about it. That dial has to be pretty uncommon?

It is a solid performer as well as a visually appealing piece; seems to have held its value, too

S82
Old 14 November 2020, 02:01 PM   #16
Sacha82
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Pierce View Post
Jeff,

I wonder if the filmy look was in fact the crystal and not the dial? Hard to tell but if so, it might return as the current flex crystal ages.
It might well have been - I can't really recall now whether I ever checked out the effect with a loupe and determined conclusively it was the dial and not the crystal. I only remember it could be seen with the naked eye and the effect was quite striking. I'll check back in another 10 years, we'll see where we're at

S82
Old 14 November 2020, 03:30 PM   #17
enginerd
"TRF" Member

Quote:
First time I've seen that dial combo - nice! I've never even heard discussion about it. That dial has to be pretty uncommon?

It is a solid performer as well as a visually appealing piece; seems to have held its value, too

S82
https://tudorcollector.com/collectio...lock-series-2/

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
Old 15 November 2020, 08:25 AM   #18
Sacha82
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enginerd View Post
https://tudorcollector.com/collectio...lock-series-2/

Thanks for that link. The pink subdials on that 79180 look cool! I wonder if they were testing the waters with colors in anticipation of the Tiger-signed series?

S82
Old 15 November 2020, 09:45 AM   #19
enginerd
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thanks for that link. The pink subdials on that 79180 look cool! I wonder if they were testing the waters with colors in anticipation of the Tiger-signed series?

S82
That would make sense. There was apparently a turquoise varient as well:
https://m.imgur.com/r/rolex/cellcXo

Another good read:
https://www.revolution.watch/tudor-o...block/?archive

I assume the Big Block Albino was a play on the Daytona version:
https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/ro...ona-ben-clymer

Old 30 November 2020, 07:55 PM   #20
fabiomassimo
"TRF" Member

Congratulations on your post and pictures! The saleswoman did really great in recommending this over the yellow tiger! I am new to the forum so I am not allowed to post images yet but I own the same 79160, the only difference is that it is from 1992 and the dial is slightly different from yours (batons, date window, swiss only)... I actually bought it last year ...after buying a Tudor Heritage Black Bay Chronograph I started looking into Tudor Chronographs (many thanks to the Tudor Chronograph Knowledge thread too!!) and I immediately fell in love with these Big Block...so I traded the Black Bay in and added cash to get this ... I have a few watches that I love but I just can't help keeping the 79160 on the wrist ... it is a such a beautiful piece... I am no expert and I understand that although it might not probably be the finest example of horology as it mounts a common Valjoux 7750 I love the fact that is quite understated and not everybody knows about them ...
Like you, I am contemplating getting the reverse dial version of the same watch as that is lovely as well.
fabiomassimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2020, 01:49 PM   #21
Boaters
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV 16710 SD
What a beauty congrats!
Boaters is offline   Reply With Quote