The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 19 January 2021, 02:43 PM   #1
MrEleven
"TRF" Member

Watch: Omega-Rolex-AP
What happened to rolex

Was reading through a thread about people being turned off by rolex and looking at different brands basically because of the long wait times. It got me thinking about why i really don't wear my rolex anymore and have went off the brand.

My story is I've been into watches for roughly 15 years. Had quite a lot of different brands but mainly rolex over the years, at a guess probably had 10 or so different steel sports variations. When i first started buying rolexs it was a sign you were doing well and a sort of achievement but nowadays i really do feel as if its the new poor persons watch that’s trying to look rich. Reason i say that is i know numerous people who are dead broke but have saved up and got themselves a rolex. One of my close friends who is so frustrating to be friends with at times has done just that. He goes on about how hes got a rolex now and he's wining but is broke and would rather look rich than be rich and thats problem with people today.

About 18 months ago my friend came to me about how he hates his job and the money is bad, kind of asking me for advice because I've done well and semi retired since 30. He was on waiting list at time for hot rolex sports model and told him forget the watch put a little more money in and i would let him come into a new business with me. Probably let him quit his job and get him more income. His answer was no it was too risky and he really wants a rolex fast forward 18 months little side hustle I started due to boredom would of at least quadrupled his income but no as i said he would rather look rich than be rich. So my friend has well and truly put me off rolex. Also he's not the only one i know. Theres a good few other people i know of who are living month to month but they have the rolex to give the impression there doing well. Rant over I guess and thats the reason i no longer like or look at rolex as a nice watch.
MrEleven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2021, 03:54 PM   #2
BNA/LION
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: ROLEX
Wow! I'd say don't let their actions determine your opinion on Rolex. Especially if you liked, used to wear and enjoy the watches.

Very unfortunate for your friend to have missed a real business opportunity. No Risk | No Reward

✦ 28238 President DD 18K/YG ✦ 16610LN SS Sub ✦ 16613 18K/SS Serti ✦ 16550 Exp II Non-Rail Cream Dial ✦ Daytona C 116500 ✦ 126710 BLRO GMT-Master II ✦ NEXT-->?
Hole In One! 10/3/19 DMCC 5th hole, par 3, 168 yards w/ 4-Iron.
BNA/LION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2021, 06:19 PM   #3
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrEleven View Post
Was reading through a thread about people being turned off by rolex and looking at different brands basically because of the long wait times. It got me thinking about why i really don't wear my rolex anymore and have went off the brand.

My story is I've been into watches for roughly 15 years. Had quite a lot of different brands but mainly rolex over the years, at a guess probably had 10 or so different steel sports variations. When i first started buying rolexs it was a sign you were doing well and a sort of achievement but nowadays i really do feel as if its the new poor persons watch that’s trying to look rich. Reason i say that is i know numerous people who are dead broke but have saved up and got themselves a rolex. One of my close friends who is so frustrating to be friends with at times has done just that. He goes on about how hes got a rolex now and he's wining but is broke and would rather look rich than be rich and thats problem with people today.

About 18 months ago my friend came to me about how he hates his job and the money is bad, kind of asking me for advice because I've done well and semi retired since 30. He was on waiting list at time for hot rolex sports model and told him forget the watch put a little more money in and i would let him come into a new business with me. Probably let him quit his job and get him more income. His answer was no it was too risky and he really wants a rolex fast forward 18 months little side hustle I started due to boredom would of at least quadrupled his income but no as i said he would rather look rich than be rich. So my friend has well and truly put me off rolex. Also he's not the only one i know. Theres a good few other people i know of who are living month to month but they have the rolex to give the impression there doing well. Rant over I guess and thats the reason i no longer like or look at rolex as a nice watch.

Are you hiring?
TheVTCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2021, 06:22 PM   #4
aff1
Banned

Some rather look rich than actually be rich.
aff1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2021, 06:37 PM   #5
walds11
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aff1 View Post
Some rather look rich than actually be rich.
Ah yes, most definitely!
Old 19 January 2021, 06:40 PM   #6
bejzv
Banned

But at what end though? Looking rich thereby deceiving oneself and hindering possible assistance. There's no sense in that.
bejzv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2021, 07:17 PM   #7
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
That is very interesting, and you guys are right, maybe spending the money on a Rolex when his priorities should be elsewhere if he is living paycheck to paycheck. I know nothing about this man, but can say possibly owning a Rolex is the one opulent item he awards himself(?). It is like if he has one, he looks to better days(?). I don’t know, and surely hope the OPs friend is OK, but I could also understand if even when in tough times a person holds on to the item (expensive though it is) that meant a lot to him. Anyway, I still want the OP to offer me a job!
TheVTCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2021, 07:22 PM   #8
envuks

I’d say this post is more of a reflection of your current friends than of Rolex.

Perhaps finding new friends would be advised.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

“A man with one watch always knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure.”
envuks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2021, 11:20 PM   #9
AzPaul
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex 1501
Quote:
. . . . When i first started buying rolexs it was a sign you were doing well and a sort of achievement but nowadays i really do feel as if its the new poor persons watch that’s trying to look rich . . . .
Good to know.
Old 19 January 2021, 11:37 PM   #10
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by envuks View Post
I’d say this post is more of a reflection of your current friends than of Rolex.
That's my first thought too.

Going deeper, like the OP have been collecting for quite some times (a few decades) and this new reality that central banks have created is hurting many people and greatly skewing asset prices as cash is trash (and we all know it).

Went though the same type of angst and it boiled to a feverish pace last year or so big time. Am looking at the positive side, as would have never have considered, for example, Bvlgari (Octo S for example), yet without a doubt it is an amazing timepiece. Far better than the equivalent PP or AP, so that's been a big positive as this resource shortage made me THINK about who has true value versus just making the same thing over and over again because it sells (Patek is a big offender here). Seek and ye shall find :)

Of course brands like Panerai, AP, JLC, Ming, and others have also benefitted from a sheer lack of resources from a single manufacturer. Timepiece enthusiasts seek quality, creativity, quality service... and to preserve the value of their hard work efforts / energy. You can't do that with your bank account.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2021, 11:41 PM   #11
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:

Pretty much what I was thinking as well.
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2021, 11:46 PM   #12
ArtNouveau
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BLRO/Daytona/OP41s
My worth as a human being is not defined by either my net worth or the watch I wear. I have a couple Rolex for the same reasons I bought my first in 1984. Seems to me OP that it's time to sell off.
ArtNouveau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2021, 12:00 AM   #13
Aberdein
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1982 GMT 16750Matt
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtNouveau View Post
My worth as a human being is not defined by either my net worth or the watch I wear. I have a couple Rolex for the same reasons I bought my first in 1984. Seems to me OP that it's time to sell off.
Am with you.
Aberdein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2021, 12:02 AM   #14
DonRickles
Banned

Watch: Your mouth
Seems kinda childish but coming from "Mr Eleven" explains a lot!

Odd flex, IMO.....
DonRickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2021, 12:06 AM   #15
GONZO2LR
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Submariner Date
Quote:

i couldn't say it any better, find positive people and stay away from negative ones....

it's just a watch, a beautiful one that i LOVE to look at and my Rolex makes me smile when i look to see what time it is or what the date is....
GONZO2LR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2021, 12:07 AM   #16
turkeysub93
"TRF" Member

Major self promo via the OP
turkeysub93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2021, 12:09 AM   #17
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Social media has made many people think the online world, and therefore the world of showing off, is the main world now, esp if you are young or without many responsibilities. I remember a site called Second Life about 15 years ago where people would go on it and be somebody different or live a fantasy and take a break from their real life, but now that has reversed and more and more people are living their "real" lives on SM and their actual day to day lives have become secondary.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2021, 12:09 AM   #18
GenevaFan
"TRF" Member

Read the poem "If". Be guided by that.

Sent from my LM-Q710.FGN using Tapatalk
GenevaFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2021, 12:17 AM   #19
teck21
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Black Bay 58
What happened to rolex

You are put off Rolex by their pretentious behaviour? Let’s be honest, you are put off because you are afraid of being seen in the same light.

Who’s the pretentious one?

How other people wear or enjoy a watch brand has no logical bearing on how you enjoy yours.

You are simply the opposite side of the same coin.

teck21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2021, 12:31 AM   #20
Vipes
"TRF" Member

Wear what you like. If you feel Rolex is not exclusive enough since a lot of your friends have one then it’s time to move on. Nothing wrong with exploring other brands.
Vipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2021, 12:36 AM   #21
Micha
"TRF" Member

Watch: 6263, 1675
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVTCGuy View Post
Are you hiring?
Old 20 January 2021, 12:38 AM   #22
Zippo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by teck21 View Post
You are put off Rolex by their pretentious behaviour? Let’s be honest, you are put off because you are afraid of being seen in the same light.

Who’s the pretentious one?

How other people wear or enjoy a watch brand has no logical bearing on how you enjoy yours.

You are simply the opposite side of the same coin.

This
Zippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2021, 12:44 AM   #23
SSdayton
"TRF" Member

Interesting post - I think the problem here is not with Rolex but with human nature in general
SSdayton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2021, 12:57 AM   #24
uhren917
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710 BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonRickles View Post
Seems kinda childish but coming from "Mr Eleven" explains a lot!

Odd flex, IMO.....
uhren917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2021, 01:04 AM   #25
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Just watch that door on your way out. It could have a strong spring.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2021, 01:09 AM   #26
DJ2020
"TRF" Member

Watch: 226570
Hmm, His friend is living beyond his means. Buying a expensive item being a Rolex, car or anything else is just not smart. I don't understand how someone else's poor decisions parlays into dumping Rolex?
DJ2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2021, 01:12 AM   #27
duncand111
Banned

Watch: Couple of Rolexes
I strongly am in support of you changing your friends!
duncand111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2021, 01:22 AM   #28
1William

Watch: Rolex/Others
I work hard at liking my friends for what they are , not what they are not. I do not see this behavior by your friend as negative as he is doing what he wants, not what you want for him. Not a smart move depending on where you are coming from but such is life and success and failure. When my friends behavior impacts me in a negative way I discuss it with them and ask them to stop or modify it. If they do not, I tell them to leave me alone and not to come around any more. Your expectations maybe different for your friend and we all want our friends to succeed. All is good as long as it does not hurt you.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2021, 01:23 AM   #29
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
His answer was no it was too risky and he really wants a rolex fast forward 18 months little side hustle I started due to boredom would of at least quadrupled his income but no as i said he would rather look rich than be rich. So my friend has well and truly put me off rolex. Also he's not the only one i know. Theres a good few other people i know of who are living month to month but they have the rolex to give the impression there doing well. Rant over I guess and thats the reason i no longer like or look at rolex as a nice watch.
Ok

Many people buy clothes, wear jewelry and drive cars to improve their image. This is nothing new and will continue long after we are all gone.
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2021, 01:24 AM   #30
Watchwoody
"TRF" Member

I see this a lot. Especially in Dallas. People who probably shouldn’t be blowing money on things they can’t afford. It’s the same with cars, clothing, homes, club memberships, etc.

If you like the watches you should keep buying them and wearing them.
Watchwoody is offline   Reply With Quote