The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 20 January 2021, 01:25 AM   #31
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

I am personally hoping people get tired and offended by the perceived excess and opulent wealth a Rolex owner may or may not have. Perhaps then the market will collapse back to the msrp days and being able to see inventory before purchase. We have said for decades now if you really want a great automatic watch with out the Rolex baggage, buy a Omega. They will get more watch for their money and not have to be disgusted by wearing a status symbol on their wrist. Better yet they can wear a Apple Watch and disappear completely with their timekeeping selection. Every wins.
Mystro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2021, 01:28 AM   #32
logo
"TRF" Member

Just do you bro. Ignore the noise. If you like the watch, who cares who else wears it or not and what their reasons are?
logo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2021, 01:31 AM   #33
travisb
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes..
There are plenty of "posers" out there. Unfortunately your friend is one of them and he doesn't have his priorities in order.
I wouldn't let it deter me from my own interests, hobbies and passions.
travisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2021, 01:33 AM   #34
Cambo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/Grand Seiko
"Don't buy that watch...give me your money instead...I have a can't miss deal for you"

Ya sure
Old 20 January 2021, 01:37 AM   #35
Stewart_88
"TRF" Member

I think there's 2 mistakes that happened here, 1 being your friend turning down a good opportunity when he needed it. And 2 you offering the opportunity to the wrong person..... I'm looking for a change of career incase your wondering

In all seriousness though, I'd catch up with your mate now and again if you can, as you spend so much of your life at work you need to be happy. I spent years working in different jobs not in a good place and really affected my mental health. I used to spend money I didn't have just to make me happy. Which made me look forward to the next payday on a monthly basis

I found a job I enjoy, turned my life around. years later I Noticed my best mate was going down the same road I went down. He's now changed his career, We're now both in a good place.

Be a friend and look out for them close to you

And don't hate rolex, hate social media...... the cause of all hype
Old 20 January 2021, 01:39 AM   #36
Wcdhtwn
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD, SD43, GMT2
This really isn't a Rolex thing. I know a couple of people who purchased 911's when they should have bought a Camry. Many people outspend their means, look at the amount of credit card debit that exists.
Wcdhtwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2021, 01:50 AM   #37
Strad
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVTCGuy View Post
Are you hiring?
LOL
Strad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2021, 01:52 AM   #38
Ollie1982
Banned

Watch: Sub, Exp, DJ & Pam
Sounds to me like someone (OP) is miffed his broke friend can afford the same watch as he can. Maybe you need some new friends? I would bet my Rolex (that I can't afford) that the issue is deeper than watches and missed business opportunities... We are all on a journey through life, don't let the behaviour of others put you off your path.

Oh and by the way, people who are 'dead broke' can't afford to save up and buy a multi thousand pound / dollar timepiece.
Ollie1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2021, 01:54 AM   #39
DJ2020
"TRF" Member

Watch: 226570
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystro View Post
I am personally hoping people get tired and offended by the perceived excess and opulent wealth a Rolex owner may or may not have. Perhaps then the market will collapse back to the msrp days and being able to see inventory before purchase. We have said for decades now if you really want a great automatic watch with out the Rolex baggage, buy a Omega. They will get more watch for their money and not have to be disgusted by wearing a status symbol on their wrist. Better yet they can wear a Apple Watch and disappear completely with their timekeeping selection. Every wins.
Yep, What he said.
DJ2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2021, 01:58 AM   #40
Number3
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewart_88 View Post
I think there's 2 mistakes that happened here, 1 being your friend turning down a good opportunity when he needed it. And 2 you offering the opportunity to the wrong person..... I'm looking for a change of career incase your wondering

In all seriousness though, I'd catch up with your mate now and again if you can, as you spend so much of your life at work you need to be happy. I spent years working in different jobs not in a good place and really affected my mental health. I used to spend money I didn't have just to make me happy. Which made me look forward to the next payday on a monthly basis

I found a job I enjoy, turned my life around. years later I Noticed my best mate was going down the same road I went down. He's now changed his career, We're now both in a good place.

Be a friend and look out for them close to you

And don't hate rolex, hate social media...... the cause of all hype
Yup.
Number3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2021, 01:59 AM   #41
imsayingthough
"TRF" Member

Your describing more the effects of social media than anything else.
That being said, you shouldn't let the actions or opinions of others formulate your own.
imsayingthough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2021, 02:15 AM   #42
ce027772
"TRF" Member

Rolex is popular, so why blame Rolex for its popularity among the rich and the poor? That means they are making good watches and the demand exceeds supply.
ce027772 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2021, 02:18 AM   #43
RJRJRJ
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrEleven View Post
nowadays i really do feel as if its the new poor persons watch that’s trying to look rich.

What was the old one?
RJRJRJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2021, 02:22 AM   #44
ce027772
"TRF" Member

Speaking about your friend, I cannot blame him for buying a Rolex watch instead of investing the money in your business. Good for you that your business is going well, but any business investment is risky by its nature, unlike spending money on a hot Rolex sports model.
Old 20 January 2021, 02:27 AM   #45
Alvar*
"TRF" Member

I kinda get this. I'm not rich by any means but I've bought several luxury watches in the past 9 months, one of them being a rolex. For me the reason has been Covid and boredom really. I havent been able to spend my money on travelling / skiing etc things I noramlly would do so suddenly I've ended up with a relatively lot of spare cash. I have dug more into watches and thus spent my money on them. Of course I've been lucky not to lose my job / health etc.
Alvar* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2021, 02:53 AM   #46
Atone
"TRF" Member

Watch: TinTin!
So one person you know did a thing and now Rolex owners are poor people “trying to look rich”?

While you are offering this as a broad example of the market and buyers, this is purely anecdotal and not representative. I know Porsche owners who rent apartments. Says more about the person than the choice of item purchased to feign wealth.
Old 20 January 2021, 02:54 AM   #47
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Its the quintessential rolex conundrum. They make a damn good watch but 90% of the people wearing one are tossers. You can either accept it or move on.
Old 20 January 2021, 03:04 AM   #48
Oxfordian
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124060 Submariner
My wife and I are not rich but we have 3 Rolex watches between us, the plan is to enjoy the watches for a good few years before passing them on to our children for them to enjoy.

Neither of us inherited anything personal that our parents owned so the plan is to give our children something personal from us that they can wear and enjoy for years to come.

The reputation that Rolex has was one of the deciding factors that we took into account when buying the watches, hopefully we have chosen wisely.

Small Rolex, Omega, Seiko and Oris Collection
Oxfordian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2021, 03:14 AM   #49
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Was reading through a thread about people being turned off by rolex and looking at different brands basically because of the long wait times. It got me thinking about why i really don't wear my rolex anymore and have went off the brand.

My story is I've been into watches for roughly 15 years. Had quite a lot of different brands but mainly rolex over the years, at a guess probably had 10 or so different steel sports variations. When i first started buying rolexs it was a sign you were doing well and a sort of achievement but nowadays i really do feel as if its the new poor persons watch that’s trying to look rich. Reason i say that is i know numerous people who are dead broke but have saved up and got themselves a rolex. One of my close friends who is so frustrating to be friends with at times has done just that. He goes on about how hes got a rolex now and he's wining but is broke and would rather look rich than be rich and thats problem with people today.

About 18 months ago my friend came to me about how he hates his job and the money is bad, kind of asking me for advice because I've done well and semi retired since 30. He was on waiting list at time for hot rolex sports model and told him forget the watch put a little more money in and i would let him come into a new business with me. Probably let him quit his job and get him more income. His answer was no it was too risky and he really wants a rolex fast forward 18 months little side hustle I started due to boredom would of at least quadrupled his income but no as i said he would rather look rich than be rich. So my friend has well and truly put me off rolex. Also he's not the only one i know. Theres a good few other people i know of who are living month to month but they have the rolex to give the impression there doing well. Rant over I guess and thats the reason i no longer like or look at rolex as a nice watch.
Ok
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2021, 03:15 AM   #50
ce027772
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxfordian View Post
My wife and I are not rich but we have 3 Rolex watches between us, the plan is to enjoy the watches for a good few years before passing them on to our children for them to enjoy.

Neither of us inherited anything personal that our parents owned so the plan is to give our children something personal from us that they can wear and enjoy for years to come.

The reputation that Rolex has was one of the deciding factors that we took into account when buying the watches, hopefully we have chosen wisely.
That’s a great thing about Rolex watches - they can be enjoyed by many generations!
Old 20 January 2021, 03:18 AM   #51
Cambo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/Grand Seiko
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxfordian View Post

Good on you. A great legacy piece. Your kids will be tickled!
Old 20 January 2021, 03:32 AM   #52
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas/Subs/GMTs
Quote:

I've done well and semi retired since 30.

..fast forward 18 months little side hustle I started due to boredom would of at least quadrupled his income
TswaneNguni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2021, 03:44 AM   #53
SDGT3
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43 Daytona Blusy
You can substitute “Rolex” for Porsche or Jaguar, Mercedes etc. The story has more to do with human nature than a particular brand of watch...
SDGT3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2021, 04:01 AM   #54
Meyrin
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub 14060
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDGT3 View Post
You can substitute “Rolex” for Porsche or Jaguar, Mercedes etc. The story has more to do with human nature than a particular brand of watch...
This hits the nail squarely on the head! It´s certainly not Rolex´s fault.
Meyrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2021, 06:24 AM   #55
RyanJ
"TRF" Member

LOL.... The funny part is people assume if you have a Rolex that you are rich. I have said it before but the majority of Rolex watches are significantly cheaper than the other luxury brands they are compared to. It is funny watching people worship them like some kind of idol.

Of course it is not the fault of Rolex. Just silly people who have fallen hook, line, and sinker for Rolex marketing.
RyanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2021, 06:30 AM   #56
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by logo View Post
If you like the watch, who cares who else wears it or not and what their reasons are?
I don't. But it seems that some people do. Not my problem.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2021, 06:32 AM   #57
Burlington
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenevaFan View Post
Read the poem "If". Be guided by that.

Sent from my LM-Q710.FGN using Tapatalk

It’s a wonderful poem - one of my favourites.

Any particular lines you have in mind for this circumstance?

― Winston S. Churchill
Burlington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2021, 07:14 AM   #58
yoniman
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116234, 116613LB
What happened to Rolex?

Well they just grow from strength to strength.

It's the people's skewed priorities in life, attitude in buying, acquiring and collecting habits that are deplorable.

I associate Rolex with its quality and history. Not from the status seeking wannabees.

It's all about health, happiness & family. The rest are just necessary inconveniences we have to deal with.
yoniman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2021, 07:33 AM   #59
greeneyedguy
Banned

I follow this rule of thumb. I must be worth more after i buy a watch than before. This way i invest heavily and work my ass off so i can treat myself. I make 120k usd a year, not rich but far from broke.
greeneyedguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2021, 08:58 AM   #60
turkeysub93
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greeneyedguy View Post
I follow this rule of thumb. I must be worth more after i buy a watch than before. This way i invest heavily and work my ass off so i can treat myself. I make 120k usd a year, not rich but far from broke.
Aaaaaaaand bring out your tape measures, folks!
turkeysub93 is offline   Reply With Quote