The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 20 January 2021, 09:23 AM   #61
Fish220sr@aol.com
"TRF" Member

" i really do feel as if its the new poor persons watch that’s trying to look rich." Do not believe I have ever read "poor persons"watch here on the Rolex Forum.Self proclaimed success story and no doubt probably is based on net worth. But the Attitude certainly is not disguised or eliminated all together.
Very incongruous. Anyone with a modicum of class does not even use that term.
Fish220sr@aol.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2021, 09:34 AM   #62
Cambo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/Grand Seiko
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkeysub93 View Post
Aaaaaaaand bring out your tape measures, folks!
....indeed!
Old 20 January 2021, 09:37 AM   #63
173rdabn
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 216570 Explorer II
ARRRRGH You have a seriously dumbass friend.
173rdabn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2021, 10:32 AM   #64
Malum
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43 D-Blue
Plenty of people buy watches ,cars, houses even clothes they cannot afford . That’s not my problem . Have at it .
Malum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2021, 10:38 AM   #65
Jack T
"TRF" Member

Watch: Several
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrEleven View Post
Was reading through a thread about people being turned off by rolex and looking at different brands basically because of the long wait times. It got me thinking about why i really don't wear my rolex anymore and have went off the brand.

My story is I've been into watches for roughly 15 years. Had quite a lot of different brands but mainly rolex over the years, at a guess probably had 10 or so different steel sports variations. When i first started buying rolexs it was a sign you were doing well and a sort of achievement but nowadays i really do feel as if its the new poor persons watch that’s trying to look rich. Reason i say that is i know numerous people who are dead broke but have saved up and got themselves a rolex. One of my close friends who is so frustrating to be friends with at times has done just that. He goes on about how hes got a rolex now and he's wining but is broke and would rather look rich than be rich and thats problem with people today.

About 18 months ago my friend came to me about how he hates his job and the money is bad, kind of asking me for advice because I've done well and semi retired since 30. He was on waiting list at time for hot rolex sports model and told him forget the watch put a little more money in and i would let him come into a new business with me. Probably let him quit his job and get him more income. His answer was no it was too risky and he really wants a rolex fast forward 18 months little side hustle I started due to boredom would of at least quadrupled his income but no as i said he would rather look rich than be rich. So my friend has well and truly put me off rolex. Also he's not the only one i know. Theres a good few other people i know of who are living month to month but they have the rolex to give the impression there doing well. Rant over I guess and thats the reason i no longer like or look at rolex as a nice watch.
Why are you telling us about your screwed up friends?
Old 20 January 2021, 11:20 AM   #66
MalcolmSquare
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114270
I do think there is an interesting question here. At what point will Rolex become so popular with the "wrong" people that it loses brand prestige with the community that it intends to target? Other luxury brands have faced this to varying extents over the years (e.g., Cristal), but I wonder if the rise in social media and other factors will lead Rolex to becoming more the interest of the influencer than the WIS.
MalcolmSquare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2021, 11:29 AM   #67
yoniman
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116234, 116613LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burlington View Post
It’s a wonderful poem - one of my favourites.

Any particular lines you have in mind for this circumstance?
If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
   Or walk with kings—nor lose the common touch;
If neither foes nor loving friends can hurt you;
   If all men count with you, but none too much;
If you can fill the unforgiving minute
With sixty seconds’ worth of distance run—
   Yours is the Earth and everything that’s in it,
And—which is more—you’ll be a Man, my son!

- R. Kipling

It's all about health, happiness & family. The rest are just necessary inconveniences we have to deal with.
yoniman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2021, 11:33 AM   #68
HiBoost
"TRF" Member

What product could any of us still get excited about if we judged the company by the worst of its fans? Rolex has always had complete d-bag owners who wear it for all the wrong reasons (nobody on these forums of course). But that's sort of the nature of iconic brands. Same thing applies to Porsche, Ferrari, etc.
HiBoost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2021, 11:34 AM   #69
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Quote:
Originally Posted by envuks View Post
I’d say this post is more of a reflection of your current friends than of Rolex.

Perhaps finding new friends would be advised.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Interesting perspective

Perhaps he is outgrowing some of his friends?
Perhaps they're holding him back but his loyalty motivates him to honour their past?

Sometimes friends can wither on the vine
That's life.
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2021, 11:38 AM   #70
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalcolmSquare View Post
I do think there is an interesting question here. At what point will Rolex become so popular with the "wrong" people that it loses brand prestige with the community that it intends to target? Other luxury brands have faced this to varying extents over the years (e.g., Cristal), but I wonder if the rise in social media and other factors will lead Rolex to becoming more the interest of the influencer than the WIS.
It's too late for that.
It's already happened long ago when rappers were featuring Rolex watches dangling on their wrists in videos.
I don't think it's strategic product placement on the part of Rolex either
Old 20 January 2021, 11:46 AM   #71
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by travisb View Post
There are plenty of "posers" out there. Unfortunately your friend is one of them and he doesn't have his priorities in order.
I wouldn't let it deter me from my own interests, hobbies and passions.
The guy may not be a poseur either.
Perhaps he sees it as a worthwhile investment at his level.

But he has demonstrated a lack of business acumen or at least a mind that's so closed he can't apply enough rationale to recognise a great opportunity when presented with it.
It seems everything worked out for the best in the end on the part of the OP
Old 20 January 2021, 11:47 AM   #72
JSCP
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex PM’s/Patek
Buy Rolex because you love the design, the feel...
DD40 RG/Sundust-Roman;DD40YG/White/Roman;DD40 WG/Olive;Daytona RG;Sub Black YG; Daytona Panda; Celebration 41; GMT-II’s: Left VTNR; GRNR; Batman; SkyDweller SSJubilee/Black; SUB no-date; Oysterquartz SS; DJ SS 36mm’87; Cartier: Roadster YG;Santos YG; Panther YG; Panther SS; Tank’73 YG, Tank must 2023 ;Tank Americaine YG;BulgariBB38mm/YG
JSCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2021, 01:14 PM   #73
Geckobros
"TRF" Member

Quote:
i really do feel as if its the new poor persons watch that’s trying to look rich.
I'm curious.. how much wealth does a person have to have to "legitimately" own a Rolex?
Geckobros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2021, 01:44 PM   #74
MrEleven
"TRF" Member

Watch: Omega-Rolex-AP
Right obviously some people have took this the wrong way. Don’t know how anyone could take this as a flex or brag. I’m completely anonymous on all forums and social media i use. You will not find one thing on the internet about me personally or how i make a living.
I am simply telling a story about how frustrating my good friend is when I tried to get him out of his situation.

A little more on my friend, he should be worth 8 figures by now easily, he started a company with another friend years ago but saying that the company had almost zero start up cost. The company was ticking along the first year made very little money and both owners worked for another company while running theres. The smart one said lets quit our jobs and really push forward with the company. The not so smart one said no its too risky lol I'm staying put and just you take the company yourself. Fast forward 12 months the smart one got a few contacts and the company took off nicely, owner now has a few lambos and high end suv ect. He also has a very nice watch collection of ap rolex lots of PM models. So begs the question are some people just meant to be broke there whole life ?

Also my friend would have zero interest in rolex if they didn’t have re sale value, infact he flipped the first one he got right away after a week. After saying he just always wanted a rolex . Then he got another from ad and first thing he done again was phone all local dealers to get a price. So he's going to sell that also soon I'm guessing.

Hes also extremely negative person and I've told him this. I obviously live in a different bracket to him and anything expensive i buy he’s always got something bad to say but its just him and i actually find it amusing. He is a good friend and ive been trying to help him for years but its impossible. Told him to buy gold when it was £950 a oz told him it was about to shoot up and it did 50% in few month but he's not interested. Told him to get into index funds to help him when its time to retire, again not interested. Then tried to get him into a business with me but he's scared to use his own money. Maybe i should just give him half of a business that’s already up and running.

Lastly I’m not saying rolex is bad and obviously very wealthy and successful people love rolex watches. All I’m saying is about my own personal experience, in the place i live its seems as if its the new must have watch for people who want to appear rich but are far from it and as i said I personally know of maybe 5 different people who have a rolex but live month to month and I guess social media has a large part to play in this. Or maybe as some suggest maybe its me who's jealous of month to month owners. It is a crazy world we live in.
MrEleven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2021, 01:52 PM   #75
SDGT3
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43 Daytona Blusy
Concentrate on yourself and you’ll be much happier in life. The burden of monitoring who is worthy of wearing a particular watch is much too great.
SDGT3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2021, 02:42 PM   #76
rmurphy
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16600
I don’t know you but since you posted this diatribe I’d be inclined to say that I’d hate to be your “good friend” ..... life’s complicated enough without a “good friend” gaslighting the other to a random group with the hope that we’ll perceive you to be the good one out of the two of you. Live and let live is a good idea today and everyday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rmurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2021, 03:04 PM   #77
Atone
"TRF" Member

Watch: TinTin!
Your assessing someone’s risk tolerance as being “dumb”. I don’t even know what your point is anymore. This has nothing to do with Rolex, at all. Enjoy your business and be a better friend. Maybe he comes from a world in which a secure paycheck is more valuable than a business gamble. That’s his prerogative. Life’s too short man. You do you.
Old 20 January 2021, 03:33 PM   #78
BrazenC5
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1665,1675,1680,SD4
It sounds like your friend is simply very risk adverse. Nothing to do with Rolex and image. As you mentioned he wouldn't be interested in Rolex if it didn't have value retention. Obviously he sees it as making a low risk buck by flipping.

Sent from my SM-G781U1 using Tapatalk
BrazenC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2021, 03:39 PM   #79
MrEleven
"TRF" Member

Watch: Omega-Rolex-AP
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrazenC5 View Post
It sounds like your friend is simply very risk adverse. Nothing to do with Rolex and image. As you mentioned he wouldn't be interested in Rolex if it didn't have value retention. Obviously he sees it as making a low risk buck by flipping.

Sent from my SM-G781U1 using Tapatalk
Yes very true but on the other hand all he does is complain about his job, how much he hates it , pay is bad, working nights ect but just will do nothing to change his situation.
Probably should of named the thread differently and it was placed in off topic discussion, not sure why it was moved to rolex page when main point was how frustrating it is trying to help a friend. Now I’m a gaslighting jealous so and so
Also i get some people just like to turn upto a job with no stress and grab a paycheque, totally get that but dont bang on about wanting to start something and don't take the plunge.
MrEleven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2021, 03:53 PM   #80
GradyPhilpott
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710 BLNR
I'm not poor by government standards, but I'm not exactly rolling in dough.

I live simply and pursue the things that interest me.

People who really know me know that I like Rolex watches, among a plethora of other watches, but none of them think that I want to look rich, because nothing else about my life indicates that desire.

I will say that the ladies often see that I wear Rolex watches and presume that I'm more well-to-do than I actually am, but they soon lose interest in me when they realize the truth.

That's why I refer to my Rolex watches as "gold-digger bait."

So, while I'm not interested in gold-diggers, there are probably plenty of men who are.

The problem is that most females will be on the lookout for other signs of financial success, like a nice home, an expensive automobile, exclusive brand-name clothing, and a prestigious, well-paying career.

Something is driving the crazy, current market and maybe you're correct that people would rather look rich than to actually be rich, but it seems to me that men who do that are up to their necks in debt and don't have the intellect or the kinds of other accoutrements to pull off that ruse in a convincing manner.

So, to sum that up, whoever buys a Rolex for any other reason than the love of the brand and a respect for the reputation for building robust, reliable, accurate, and durable watches is just wasting his money and making himself look more shallow than he really is.

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2021, 06:20 PM   #81
Spectre38
"TRF" Member

Watch: and be amazed.
Quote:
It got me thinking about why i really don't wear my rolex anymore and have went off the brand.

When i first started buying rolexs it was a sign you were doing well and a sort of achievement but nowadays i really do feel as if its the new poor persons watch that’s trying to look rich. Reason i say that is i know numerous people who are dead broke but have saved up and got themselves a rolex.

Rant over I guess and thats the reason i no longer like or look at rolex as a nice watch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchwoody View Post
I see this a lot. Especially in Dallas. People who probably shouldn’t be blowing money on things they can’t afford. It’s the same with cars, clothing, homes, club memberships, etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by travisb View Post
There are plenty of "posers" out there. Unfortunately your friend is one of them and he doesn't have his priorities in order.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 173rdabn View Post
ARRRRGH You have a seriously dumbass friend.

Wow, unbelievable....

Not all people buy things to be "posers" or to try and look rich. I am not rich, at all... I work a regular job that has its ups and downs. There are months when I am tighter financially than I would like to be but my bills are paid, there is a roof over my head, food on the table for my son and I, and there is some money put away for retirement.

I have several Rolex watches. Am I trying to be a poser? No.... Could someone say that I probably should have put the money elsewhere? probably. I personally bought mine because I was rewarding myself, for example ... a milestone in my life ( 25 years on the job ) . I know that may sound selfish, but it's honest. For some of us, we work to provide... for our families, to pay the Government their share, to just get by... sometimes we tend to forget about ourselves. At one time, a Rolex was a tool, a working mans watch, and that's what I am.

One of the above comments was "Reason i say that is i know numerous people who are dead broke but have saved up and got themselves a rolex. " ... Good for them.

I am sure there are plenty of people out there that may think I don't deserve to own a Rolex because I don't meet the social status... or perceived status. Do I care... Not in the slightest.

Seems to me the OP has his hackles up because he doesn't feel as special as he thinks he should.
Old 20 January 2021, 06:32 PM   #82
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalcolmSquare View Post
At what point will Rolex become so popular with the "wrong" people that it loses brand prestige with the community that it intends to target?
Depends on your definition of "the wrong people". The very phrase makes me feel sick and I expect that Rolex do not make such a distinction. I know my AD does not. Money is money, sales are sales.

The more people who look down their noses and flounce off, the better it will be for the rest of us in the queue.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2021, 06:39 PM   #83
grimps
"TRF" Member

Rolex are doing the same thing they're always done , make a limited number of models each year and distributed them to AD's .
They improve , adjust or make slight changes to these models every 7-8 years and discontinue a few models.
It's us the watch buying public and the Authorised and Grey distribution networks that have changed.
If people cant deal with that then that's their problem
grimps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2021, 06:46 PM   #84
peterpl
Banned

Nothing new.

I would say a very significant number of Rolex owners should not be owning one at all. Its all about show these days.

Portraying something you are not. I know plenty of those ppl. LOL
peterpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2021, 06:56 PM   #85
Spectre38
"TRF" Member

Watch: and be amazed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterpl View Post
Nothing new.

I would say a very significant number of Rolex owners should not be owning one at all. Its all about show these days.

Portraying something you are not. I know plenty of those ppl. LOL
Portraying what? That you are a watch owner that appreciates quality?

Apparently you have concocted some image of what a "Rolex Owner" should or should not be ... Who are you to determine who should and should not own a particular watch?
Old 20 January 2021, 07:15 PM   #86
horseShu
"TRF" Member

Watch: Aqua Terra
Thank you OP for sharing that story.
I know that you are not picking on Rolex. Lots of people use luxury goods to make themselves 'look rich', and you see lots of examples in Instagram and other social media.

Some people might feel that it's unfair for the OP to look at Rolex in a bad light just because of his friend's behavior. And I say... that's life. It's subjective.

Let's say I had a friend who was hospitalized by a drunk guy driving a Lambo. Now every time I see a Lambo I'm reminded of my friend, and I don't like Lambo anymore. Yes, it's unfair. It's subjective. But that's life.

There's something about luxury watches that gives one insight into human nature. Part of what makes this hobby interesting. And sobering in some instances.
horseShu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2021, 07:39 PM   #87
alphadweller
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43
Honestly, that wouldn't stop me from enjoying my Rolex. I buy a watch for its quality, looks and history to some extent. The rest is kind of irrelevant to me.
alphadweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2021, 07:41 PM   #88
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
People place their money towards their real priorities. There's no real rules governing how people set their priorities. Each person can decide for themselves. For many owning a Rolex is equivalent to having money in the bank. I can't really fault people for that. I'd be careful on how you judge others. As they say, don't judge a man until you've walked a mile in their shoes.

As for what has happened to Rolex, a number of years back Rolex wasn't even a consideration for horologists; now it for many the brand. What's happened is that perceptions have changed and social media has broadcast it. It's simply become popular.

Also touching on a underlying question in the post regarding wealth. The person I knew who was the wealthiest man I've personally encountered was Tom Brown, the founder of the electronics company Burr-Brown. He had dual masters one from MIT in EE and one from Harvard in Business. He lived simply and drown a Toyota Corolla. His worth at the end of his life was over 3 billion dollars (closer to 4 billion). I believe his passion was his business and not his wealth or appearance. Frankly he looked like Yoda without the skin coloration.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2021, 07:48 PM   #89
peterpl
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HogwldFLTR View Post
As for what has happened to Rolex, a number of years back Rolex wasn't even a consideration for horologists; now it for many the brand. What's happened is that perceptions have changed and social media has broadcast it. It's simply become popular.
The reason why many ppl are saying Rolex is now just a showoff game is because of social media.

What is the main purpose of Instagram and posting? Its to show off. Its to stunt and to chase clout. Its to get as many likes as you can and gain as many followers as you can.

This in turn has made the majority of Rolex owners not actual lovers of horology (yes there are many that love the watch for what it is) - but if we are honest with ourselves the influx and popularity is because of insta flex culture.

When you got rappers saying "I"m wearing my $100k Rolex worth more than your house....blah blah blah" and you got 10s of millions of teenagers and 20s somethings using these guys as idols they go out and buy a Rolex on a loan and "portray" themselves as successful young entrepreneurs. LOL

I'm still young. I know very well what the current flex culture is like. Trust me this IS it.
peterpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2021, 09:51 PM   #90
nGage7962
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ41 TT Champagne
OP, What has one got to do with the other?

DSSD
DJ 41 TT/Champagne
Tudor GMT
nGage7962 is offline   Reply With Quote