The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 20 January 2021, 11:54 PM   #91
envuks
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt View Post
Interesting perspective

Perhaps he is outgrowing some of his friends?
Perhaps they're holding him back but his loyalty motivates him to honour their past?

Sometimes friends can wither on the vine
That's life.

Interesting comments. They got me thinking.... perhaps the OP and his friends are not as different in their thinking as I initially thought.

OP friends sound concerned with projecting an image of success.

OP himself seems to be doing the same with many of the comments in the original post. While also defining and judging the success of others and how others spend what they have.

It’s impossible to know, but these two behaviors / mindsets seem complexly interlinked. The only difference on the surface seems to be success in business which can be a fickle animal. I think both types of behaviors are the kinds that keep the masses on the preverbal hamster wheel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

“A man with one watch always knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure.”
envuks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2021, 12:28 AM   #92
BroncoOne
"TRF" Member

Projecting success isn’t necessarily a good or bad thing. It can be a tool to achieve or to support real success.

Some people need to stay under the radar because what they do to earn money may make them unpopular, or they just don’t like attention from people that they don’t know or don’t want to become a target.

Some people’s business depend on projecting success because it instills confidence in their clients or prospective clients. If you are an attorney, salesman, doctor or politician (to pick a few examples) you need to be seen as being accomplished. Some may also need to dissuade would-be competitors by intimidating them enough that they are afraid to compete with you and go elsewhere.

It isn’t necessarily a value judgement thing. Sometimes it’s just a thing.
BroncoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2021, 12:31 AM   #93
Rolex tom
"TRF" Member

Watch: rolex,seiko,Omega
By the sounds of it the OP only bought Rolex for the same reason, to try and look successful and or rich this is irrespective of whether they are or aren’t. I quite frankly do give a damn what other people choose to spend their money on. If they buy something ridiculous that they can’t afford, that’s on them.

If you like Rolex buy Rolex and don’t worry what others are doing, but unfortunately there are too many people and on this forum that buy a Rolex for the sake of pretending to have “made it” whatever that is suppose to mean.
Rolex tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2021, 02:59 AM   #94
RJRJRJ
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by envuks View Post
Interesting comments. They got me thinking.... perhaps the OP and his friends are not as different in their thinking as I initially thought.

OP friends sound concerned with projecting an image of success.

OP himself seems to be doing the same with many of the comments in the original post. While also defining and judging the success of others and how others spend what they have.

It’s impossible to know, but these two behaviors / mindsets seem complexly interlinked. The only difference on the surface seems to be success in business which can be a fickle animal. I think both types of behaviors are the kinds that keep the masses on the preverbal hamster wheel

I think its more along the lines of: Rolex is probably the most well known luxury brand in the world, and OP doesn't like that it's priced low enough for even regular Joes to buy one.
RJRJRJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2021, 04:17 AM   #95
Shadow Play
"TRF" Member

Have I understood this correctly? OP has gone off Rolex because poorer people wear them too so owning a Rolex doesn’t automatically signal how rich and successful you are?

If so, I find that a truly sad way to chose what brand of watch to wear.
Shadow Play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2021, 05:42 AM   #96
XtraCrispy
"TRF" Member

Watch: me closely!
I've been collecting watches for many, many years - brought my fist DJ back in 1989. I buy watches because I enjoy them - not to try to impress others. In fact, I can count on one hand the number of times over the last 30+ years that someone commented on the watch I was wearing.

If you like watches, Rolex or otherwise, buy them and enjoy them. Why care what other think of your watches - honestly, the vast majority are NOT thinking about your watches.
Rolex Submariner TT 116613LB • Tudor 1926 41mm M91650-0005 • Tag Heuer Aquaracer WAY201B.FT6150 • Oris Artelier Date OR733-7670-4051LS • Luminox XS.3505.SC • Alpina AlpinerX AL-283LNO5NAQ6L • Steinhart GMT-OCEAN 1 BLUE RED.2 • Casio G Shock GW-5000-1JF
XtraCrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2021, 05:49 AM   #97
Jimmy66
"TRF" Member

Terribly irritating that peasants are wearing Rolex watches now lol
Jimmy66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2021, 05:54 AM   #98
greeneyedguy
Banned

Actually if you buy a Rolex you still have your money. Its just in Rolex form. Not many brands of anything can say this.
greeneyedguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2021, 05:56 AM   #99
bball0332
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greeneyedguy View Post
Actually if you buy a Rolex you still have your money. Its just in Rolex form. Not many brands of anything can say this.
Exactly
bball0332 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2021, 06:29 AM   #100
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolex tom View Post
By the sounds of it the OP only bought Rolex for the same reason, to try and look successful and or rich this is irrespective of whether they are or aren’t. I quite frankly do give a damn what other people choose to spend their money on. If they buy something ridiculous that they can’t afford, that’s on them.

If you like Rolex buy Rolex and don’t worry what others are doing, but unfortunately there are too many people and on this forum that buy a Rolex for the sake of pretending to have “made it” whatever that is suppose to mean.
True enough
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2021, 06:50 AM   #101
GVAZQUEZ
"TRF" Member

Watch: KERMIT 16610LV
What happened to rolex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow Play View Post
Have I understood this correctly? OP has gone off Rolex because poorer people wear them too so owning a Rolex doesn’t automatically signal how rich and successful you are?

If so, I find that a truly sad way to chose what brand of watch to wear.

This is what I understood...

My net worth is not defined by a watch, heck I have seen guys on construction equipment wearing a Rolex...

Rolex makes a badass watch plain and simple and the brand knows how to work the market.. But I’m not going to stop wearing a watch because someone’s ways are not of my preference or thinking.. If your friends put on the watch and it gives them a confidence boost let them go for it. You got believe you are a winner before you can win!

GVAZQUEZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2021, 06:52 AM   #102
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Quote:
Originally Posted by bball0332 View Post
Exactly
There is that too
I suspect that's where the mindset of the OP's friend was.
Virtually locking up/investing some funds in a watch and possibly hoping to be able to leverage off the ownership of it to spring into the next big thing in life

It's just a big gamble on exterior things instead of backing himself.
Then again perhaps he knows deep down he probably hasn't got what it takes to get there under his own steam and needs just that little bit extra(with the watch) to get over the line.
Keeping that in mind.
Perhaps he didn't have enough confidence in himself to go in with the OP without being exposed as a potential liability, thereby souring the relationship.

Besides, there's an old saying that goes.
There's no friends in business.
To that, I've never seen a business partnership truly last and it always sours the relationship unless there are clear guidelines aims and objectives, with a reasonable end date which is reviewed annually and agreed upon with regard to extensions.
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2021, 06:56 AM   #103
Benzsiam
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/AP/PP/ALS
I see no good reason why you stop wearing your Rolex.
I wear whatever I wanted.
Less income people like to wear expensive watch is their choice, none of my business.
Rolex: 116621, 126333, 126711CHNR, 114060, 116500LN White, 126660 JC, 126710BLNR, 126710BLRO, 116610LV, 126610LN, 126610LV, 116508 YG Green Dial, 124300 Turquoise, 126719BLRO Meteorite dial, 228235 Olive dial ,126755SARU, 116505 RG Black dial, 326934 Blue Sky D.
Audemars Piguet: 15451ST Blue, 15500OR w/Bracelet, 14790SA, 14790BA, 26022BC(Salmon) Patek Philippe: 5524R, 5712G, ALS: Time Zone 136.032, Cartier: WGSA0030, WSSA0061, YG Oct. 2965, Breguet: 7137BA, MontBlanc: 109996"
, Seiko: SRPA21,
Benzsiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2021, 07:02 AM   #104
JJ WA
"TRF" Member

As others have said, imho the problem is really with your friend(s), not with Rolex. I actually find myself getting more and more interested in Rolex again over the recent years. I have collected arguably higher end brands such as AP and PP, including ROs, Nautis and Aquas. Although I still love those brands, I also love the more robust, informal character of the Rolex sports watches. They are easier to source (relatively speaking), less expensive, servicing is faster and also less expensive, and they are almost as liquid as cash if you ever want or need to sell the watch. What’s not to love? It’s such a pleasure to wear an unpretentious steel Daytona, GMT or Sub.
JJ WA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2021, 07:18 AM   #105
Harry_S
"TRF" Member

I can sympathise with the OP and its seen the same with cars, houses, holidays on credit cards and loans they have no intention of paying back essentially people living beyond their means just to try to portray an image they simply cannot afford.
Its not the OP's fault any successful person will tell you they have more haters than admirers and this attracts a certain type of person to you.
Those saying "get new friends" i'm sure he can go out in the midst of a Global pandemic and become friends with some dudes at the bar. We ain't women here buddy "hey omg I love your shoes and your bad omg where did you get that bag from" boom they exchange instagrams at voila they are buddies. After a certain age you realise you aint making no new friends especially if you are successful so you deal with the hand (or friends you are dealt)
This forum and many of its members are so judgmental and denigrating to members whose opinions they do not agree with.
You do not have to agree of course but please be respectful I don't know the OP but I am sure he felt strongly enough about this topic to post and was on his mind.
And thus alot of your negative comments prompted me to post.
Alot of the new money are coming into Rolex hence why the grey market is so popular.
If a Rolex can be seen as a means of achievement and pride at all of your hard as well as having the pleasure to own and enjoy wearing it then I think thats admirable.
Whats not admirable is having that experience diluted by other persons whom may or may not deem worthy to have the watch you so covet. Its human nature.
Harry_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2021, 08:57 AM   #106
MalcolmSquare
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry_S View Post
You do not have to agree of course but please be respectful I don't know the OP but I am sure he felt strongly enough about this topic to post and was on his mind.
I don't think the OP intended to make any disparaging comments about the quality of Rolex timepieces or about every person who owns one. I'm confident that he would agree that Rolex watches are top rate and that the vast majority of the owners on this site (and maybe in the world) are not the posers that he is concerned with. Instead, he is expressing a concern with how the brand is being perceived by a significant number of people. Maybe he was inartful in how he expressed it, but this should be something we can discuss without insulting each other or making uncharitable assumptions about each other's lives.
MalcolmSquare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2021, 09:05 AM   #107
RoscoPico
"TRF" Member

Watch: ingMe,WatchingYou.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVTCGuy View Post
Are you hiring?
RoscoPico is offline   Reply With Quote