The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 19 January 2021, 04:48 PM   #1
sevykor
"TRF" Member

The 3235 Movement and The Fix (3 years out)

I posted about a year ago hoping to find the fix to the issues plaguing the 3235 movement. My post at the time was to find a reason and solution to the issue. While there were many interesting replies, no long term fix was ever found. That was the case until now.

I’ve been collecting Rolex and many other brands for over 20 years. Not for making money or investment, but rather for the pleasure of owning something that took skill, dedication and a relentless pursuit to horological perfection on the part of the maker. I could go on, but that’s not the purpose of this thread. You are all interested in how I got it fixed - right!?!

After the DJ41 came back from Rolex the second time, I was back to a happy and precise -1 seconds per day. Sure enough, 10 months later, almost seeming over night, the 3235 was encroaching -15 per day. This is now the third time the 3235 has failed. Back to my AD we go. They sent it to Rolex and it was back good as ever for the third time in only a few months. Only this time I knew if this goes on, I may not have a warranty to fall back on for too much longer. So I did what any reasonable person would do. I sold it!!! I can’t even begin to tell you what a great weight has been lifted.

I still own Rolex and I will continue to buy, but the 3235 is not ready. There are many theories listed by others in my previous post. I do have a suspicion, but I’m not certain if anyone here would be interested in hearing about it. Perhaps saved for a later thread so as to relieve you all from an extensive post here and now. I loved the DJ41, but in the end it was not meant to be it seems. I hope Rolex finds a fix for those of you who want to hold on to their piece. Some of you may be coming to that 5 year warranty expiration. Do you intend on paying out-of-pocket for repairs? I certainly was not up to the task of feeding Rolex with service costs. May the previous sentence give you some insight as to my speculations...
sevykor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2021, 06:09 PM   #2
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Thanks for sharing your experience.
It must be disheartening, but look on the bright side.
Rolex has made some great watches in the past and as long as you stick to watches with movements that don't have a 32 in the front of their designator, you will be just fine

Reading your post I gather you may be on the same page as I have been for a number of months, in that you have a theory as to the root cause of the problem.
Would you like to share it, if i tell you my mine?
Sort of you show me yours if I show you mine
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2021, 07:27 PM   #3
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by sevykor View Post
I posted about a year ago hoping to find the fix to the issues plaguing the 3235 movement. My post at the time was to find a reason and solution to the issue. While there were many interesting replies, no long term fix was ever found. That was the case until now.

I’ve been collecting Rolex and many other brands for over 20 years. Not for making money or investment, but rather for the pleasure of owning something that took skill, dedication and a relentless pursuit to horological perfection on the part of the maker. I could go on, but that’s not the purpose of this thread. You are all interested in how I got it fixed - right!?!

After the DJ41 came back from Rolex the second time, I was back to a happy and precise -1 seconds per day. Sure enough, 10 months later, almost seeming over night, the 3235 was encroaching -15 per day. This is now the third time the 3235 has failed. Back to my AD we go. They sent it to Rolex and it was back good as ever for the third time in only a few months. Only this time I knew if this goes on, I may not have a warranty to fall back on for too much longer. So I did what any reasonable person would do. I sold it!!! I can’t even begin to tell you what a great weight has been lifted.

I still own Rolex and I will continue to buy, but the 3235 is not ready. There are many theories listed by others in my previous post. I do have a suspicion, but I’m not certain if anyone here would be interested in hearing about it. Perhaps saved for a later thread so as to relieve you all from an extensive post here and now. I loved the DJ41, but in the end it was not meant to be it seems. I hope Rolex finds a fix for those of you who want to hold on to their piece. Some of you may be coming to that 5 year warranty expiration. Do you intend on paying out-of-pocket for repairs? I certainly was not up to the task of feeding Rolex with service costs. May the previous sentence give you some insight as to my speculations...
Man I am sorry to hear of your struggles, i hope they come up with a solution fast.
TheVTCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2021, 07:50 PM   #4
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVTCGuy View Post
Man I am sorry to hear of your struggles, i hope they come up with a solution fast.
Agreed
Old 19 January 2021, 07:56 PM   #5
kieselguhr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1601

Sucks to hear you couldn’t enjoy the watch. Maybe you’ll have a better experience next time around.
kieselguhr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2021, 08:19 PM   #6
alphadweller
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43
What a pain it must have been OP. I would have sold the watch too. In fact, as I already posted in your other thread, I'm thinking of letting my unworn BNIB SD43 go before the problem gets worse (currently at -6 s/d). I'm keeping my 4 months old Sub41 under strict observation (currently at -2 s/d), any serious drop in accuracy and it will get sold. I won’t take them to the RSC, it’s a pointless exercise as there’s no permanent fix.

I have no interest in trouble-shooting 14k+ watches for Rolex. I have no time and no energy for this cr**. Also, I can't stand the lack of transparency from Rolex. If they were open about this at least and show good faith in working on a permanent solution, perhaps I’d be more willing to make the effort and go through the tedious RSC process. But honestly, I have more important things to worry about than a poorly designed movement. Life's too short.
alphadweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2021, 08:26 PM   #7
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas/Subs/GMTs
Perhaps those bitching and moaning about lack of 126610LNs and LVs should be grateful they have to wait 3 or 4 years ...maybe the 3235 is sorted out by then

The 3235 is a lemon
The 3135/4130/3186/3136 etc are not lemons

Sorry ,too many reports stating exactly the same issue from owners.
The issues well explained by those that service watches as a profession on this very forum.

...and I dont care how many times Rolex or Rolex ADs deny it .

Rolex needs to sort this out or its going to bite ....
I hope you are reading this Mr Dufour .
TswaneNguni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2021, 10:42 PM   #8
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TswaneNguni View Post
Perhaps those bitching and moaning about lack of 126610LNs and LVs should be grateful they have to wait 3 or 4 years ...maybe the 3235 is sorted out by then

The 3235 is a lemon
The 3135/4130/3186/3136 etc are not lemons

Sorry ,too many reports stating exactly the same issue from owners.
The issues well explained by those that service watches as a profession on this very forum.

...and I dont care how many times Rolex or Rolex ADs deny it .

Rolex needs to sort this out or its going to bite ....
I hope you are reading this Mr Dufour .
Agreed.
I think Rolex got a little caught with their pants down by Omega.
Then they rushed a handful of patented designs to market without enough durability testing.
Maybe Rolex were just a little too arogant

After all it can happen that way.
Omega initially thought they knew more about watchmaking than the man himself who actually designed the Co-Axial and it bit them where it hurts instil they learnt their lesson.
I remember an old watchmaker friend describing it as the Swiss still haven't worked out they don't know everything about all things horological.
Old 19 January 2021, 10:49 PM   #9
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
i thought it was just a lubrication issue? guess i thought wrong.

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2021, 10:59 PM   #10
travisb
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes..
Sorry to hear.
I've had zero issues with any of my 3235s. More accurate than anything else I own.
travisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2021, 11:22 PM   #11
BLNR Nairobi
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them.
Three questions:
1) Are there people with 32xx movements who have not had issues?
2) If so, how long have you had those movements for (and if you may, what references are they)?
3) Why would it be so difficult for Rolex to fix whatever the issue might be?
BLNR Nairobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2021, 11:51 PM   #12
fmc000
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLNR Nairobi View Post
Three questions:
Just look at the post immediately above yours...
fmc000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2021, 12:01 AM   #13
Romeo Clive
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Three questions:
2) If so, how long have you had those movements for (and if you may, what references are they)?
1. Yes
2. Since 2018, (DJ41 - 126334)
3. Dunno

However, I also own a 2018 126710BLRO which have had problems. Worked fine for a year and a half, then started degrading. Lost 10 minutes per day, with an amplitude of 127 :(
Romeo Clive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2021, 01:53 AM   #14
MINOLI
"TRF" Member

I have the SD43 and had an issue with it after 7 months, it was running 7.5 seconds slow per day. It was serviced about 2 years ago, and has been running +2 seconds per day since then.
MINOLI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2021, 02:10 AM   #15
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Three questions:
I'm not panicking yet

Admittedly I don't wear any one watch long enough to notice if its gaining or losing time but I can see why for some who are more into timekeeping that it's an issue.

If it turns out that the millions of Rolex with these 32 series movement are dogs and can't be "fixed", I have no doubts I'll be able to recoup my costs

I wear my watches to enjoy and yes they serve a function, to tell time.

So far I haven't missed an appointment yet.

20191231_200531.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2021, 02:24 AM   #16
Fenix84
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevykor View Post

Im hoping a solution comes out before my warranty is over, if nothing then i may end up selling mine too.
Fenix84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2021, 02:57 AM   #17
DJ2020
"TRF" Member

Watch: 226570
My 126200 ran -7 right out of the gate (Oct 2020) After 2 regulations later it ran pretty much -0\+0, but that's only been 90 days ago. Someones else's problem now.
DJ2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2021, 04:20 AM   #18
jcatral14
"TRF" Member

Watch: aholic
I have 126660 and 124060 and quite pleased with both

jcatral14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2021, 04:31 AM   #19
saxo3
"TRF" Member

Sorry to say, but the problem of all these 32xx movement threads is that not enough facts and timegrapher data are shared.
This topic is interesting and should be discussed in a tech forum, well separated from places where people only reply speculations or don't care.
Understanding and analyzing neasurement data would be also good, for example the difference between accuracy and precision.
saxo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2021, 04:34 AM   #20
Zippo
"TRF" Member

2 month old 126610Lv running spot on.
Zippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2021, 04:38 AM   #21
TheVTCGuy
Banned

My two month old Sub41 is -1.3, the most accurate automatic watch I have ever owned. I’ll keep checking though.
Old 20 January 2021, 04:38 AM   #22
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
Maybe they should rename the movement Co-axial; oops; that name's already been taken by another watch house!!!

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2021, 04:40 AM   #23
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Observation,dont know if the rest of you picked this up ,but when the 3235 is reported as running fine its almost always at a minus value and seldom at a plus value .
Old 20 January 2021, 04:49 AM   #24
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Quote:
Observation,dont know if the rest of you picked this up ,but when the 3235 is reported as running fine its almost always at a minus value and seldom at a plus value .
I did notice this. Mine, though at -1.3 is still a minus. Almost all the others I have heard are the same. I wonder if it is indicative of the issue? It actually makes sense from what I understand of the problem.

I had mine in to the watchmaker the other day, and he ran the amplitude test from all different angles, face up, down, left right etc. I wear mine pretty much 24-7, however if I were to put it face up at night, it would run about +1 second, which theoretically, would even it out. Well, I am just going to keep wearing mine and check on it periodically. For the OPs sake, and a lot of others, I hope there is a fix soon, discreet or not.
Old 20 January 2021, 05:04 AM   #25
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVTCGuy View Post
however if I were to put it face up at night, it would run about +1 second,
I get the same
Old 20 January 2021, 05:18 AM   #26
saxo3
"TRF" Member

An interesting measurement is the following:
(1) Full winding of the movement
(2) Measure its amplitudes in all positions (except 12 h up); after each position change wait 2-3 minutes.
(3) Wait 24 hours with watch at rest
(4) Repeat step (2)
(5) Use 53 degrees as lift angle for 32xx calibers
Old 20 January 2021, 05:19 AM   #27
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxo3 View Post
An interesting measurement is the following:
(1) Full winding of the movement
(2) Measure its amplitudes in all positions (except 12 h up)
(3) Wait 24 hours with watch at rest
(4) Repeat step (2)
..and then ?
Old 20 January 2021, 05:24 AM   #28
saxo3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
..and then ?

You have data to report ...
Without joking. If your amplitudes drop within 24 hours below 200 degrees, then your movement has an "issue"
Old 20 January 2021, 05:26 AM   #29
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxo3 View Post
You have data to report ...
Without joking. If your amplitudes drop within 24 hours below 200 degrees, then your movement has an "issue"
Old 20 January 2021, 05:29 AM   #30
Brian Page
"TRF" Member

I've had 3 watches with the 32 movements so far - BLRO, DSSD, 124060. Only one that had the slow down issue was the BLRO and in fact I only found out about it when I sent it for service for a bunged up bezel that I couldn't look at anymore. Granted, I wasn't wearing the watch daily and tracking it as such. My method generally when purchasing something new or new to me is to track it for a day or so to see what it's doing then forget about it and simple enjoy. When not on my wrist, they live in a box in a safe not on a winder.

Other two - DSSD and 124060 have settled in just fine and wear them both regularly, both are 1 to 2 seconds fast for whatever that's worth.
Brian Page is offline   Reply With Quote