The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 20 January 2021, 09:20 AM   #31
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Reminds me of the old Timex ads, "takes a beating but keeps on ticking" There are numerous great watches out there that do the job, can take daily wear and look fine over the years. And you do not need to make a big investment. But, then again they are not Rolex.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2021, 09:37 AM   #32
Cambo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/Grand Seiko
Why do people who have “had it with Rolex” have to announce their departure (on a Rolex forum no less)? Don’t let the door hit you on your way out....
Old 20 January 2021, 09:42 AM   #33
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
your choice of course.

not sure what you mean in terms of quality. both my rolex are top notch.

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2021, 10:43 AM   #34
alphadweller
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43
Good for you, man. If you're not happy with the brand, you need to look elsewhere, definetly. Great Breitlings you've got there. I'm a fan, still own a Seawolf since 2013, built like a bank vault, great value for money and no AD games for sure.

I went through a love/hate relationship with Rolex myself, but I got lucky in 2020 with my AD, so that kind of reconciled me with the brand after 3 years of frustration. It helped me see things from a different angle.

Whatever makes us happy. It's all about the journey and the pursuit of happiness.
alphadweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2021, 10:49 AM   #35
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacca View Post
Thankfully the forum recognized long ago the importance of having many sub forums for other brands.

A watch lover is a watch lover. And a Rolex lover alone isn’t what you want to be these days imop.
Reported!!!

It’s great to have you back CJ
TheVTCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2021, 10:55 AM   #36
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tensai View Post
What you say certainly makes sense! Commendable that you care about the quality of the watches.

When the crazy pricing bubble bursts, many others will be gone too, but because they only care about the investment values.
There may be some merit in this.
I wonder what the landscape will look like after the music stops and the independents have been eliminated
Perhaps the ones that get laid off at the manufacturers due to the downturn will go out on their own scrounging and shit fighting it out amongst themselves for wrecked watches to cannibalise them for parts.
Dejarvou
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2021, 11:32 AM   #37
iTreelex
"TRF" Member

Rolex are known to take a beating and keep excellent time... but sure, plenty of other brands out there.
iTreelex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2021, 12:05 PM   #38
Car32
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ2020 View Post
It's been a long time ago when I was barley in my 20's when I purchased my first Rolex from a dive shop in Miami Florida around 1982. A 5513 and had to shell out $292.00 (includes the tax). It was the pinch and pull model, A nick name I had given it as it pinched my arm and pulled my hair. It kept about as good of time as a sun dial as I recall.

Since that time I have owned many other brands including a few more that with the name Rolex. In 2020 I purchased 2. A 116000 and a 126200. I recently have sold them both. I am cannot express what a relief it was to be rid of them. I could go into detail, But suffice to say, I don't care for the AD games, the prices VS. what you get and the inflated cost of a common service or the long wait time. What I see personally in there QC department is no where close to what they advertise. There are company's that produce watches at half the cost, I think are as good or better than Rolex in terms of QC, time keeping and durability. There service includes the same and is also half the cost. I can't include appearance because it's to subjective.

No, it's not a money issue, I just don't see the value. I don't want a pretty watch to begin with. Shinny and polished. I need one that is tough, Takes a beating and still appear pretty much as I bought it 10 years from now. Does not spend more time at the repair shop than on my wrist.

It's just my opinion, nothing more. For those of you that cherish your Rolex, I am happy for you, Sincerely. I am done with them and buying elsewhere.

Not meant to be a rant, just posting a reason for my up coming absence. I will be enjoying the forum in other areas. Thank you all.
Agreed 1,000% on QC vs marketing.
Car32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2021, 12:09 PM   #39
DGP
"TRF" Member

You bought a Rolex in 1982 for $292. I guess it was second hand. Have you seen what they change hands for now?
DGP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2021, 12:16 PM   #40
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

Ok.
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2021, 12:21 PM   #41
tom2517
"TRF" Member

Quote:
d pulled my hair. It kept about as good of time as a sun dial as I recall.

There are company's that produce watches at half the cost, I think are as good or better than Rolex in terms of QC, time keeping and durability. There service includes the same and is also half the cost. I can't include appearance because it's to subjective.

People who have read my past posts definitely knows I am not a Rolex fanboy, yes there are plenty of other brands, but for all the faults that Rolex have, they are usually pretty darn good in QC, time keeping, and durabilities.
tom2517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2021, 12:36 PM   #42
Sub*Man
"TRF" Member

Watch: The HYPED ones
You’ll be back. There is nothing like Rolex.
Sub*Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2021, 12:39 PM   #43
Mikichi
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Not meant to be a rant, just posting a reason for my up coming absence. I will be enjoying the forum in other areas. Thank you all.
I see you joined the forum in Nov 2020. Thank you for letting us know.
Mikichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2021, 12:44 PM   #44
cvo
"TRF" Member

Watch: 117610LN 116610LN
I get it. When a hobby becomes stressful, it is time to take a break. At the end of the day, a passion should bring a smile, not regret and frustration. I am glad you feel better letting us know your story - take care.
cvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2021, 12:58 PM   #45
eanzenberg
"TRF" Member

I love these forums, it is a treat to read for a bit after a long day. It’s a great way to see other perspectives on a brand I respect. I love the fact that my rolex can take a beating if it needs to, and only needs servicing every decade. I also gravitate to the moon in-demand pieces like the PMs so I guess I don’t need to play any games. I appreciate the quality of my piece to the point my wife catches me staring at it sometimes.

Just my take.
eanzenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2021, 01:33 PM   #46
kizerman
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikichi View Post
I see you joined the forum in Nov 2020. Thank you for letting us know.
Gone too son. lol
kizerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2021, 01:36 PM   #47
garyk
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
I totally get it OP. Very frustrating to be loyal to a brand when you have the money and can’t get the ADs to accommodate you...
Old 20 January 2021, 01:43 PM   #48
JohnGingerwood
2024 Pledge Member

Rolex’s are great. Yes they are over rated, but the quality and durability is there. I do agree there are other watches much cheaper that are durable and have high quality in their own right. I owned 1 Rolex (114060) and it was cool, but I have enjoyed some of my omegas much more.
JohnGingerwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2021, 02:06 PM   #49
baymax
"TRF" Member

I believe it customary to give a 2 weeks notice as a courtesy.
baymax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2021, 02:28 PM   #50
horseShu
"TRF" Member

Watch: Aqua Terra
It will be good for you to at least look at other brands. and i mean, read about them, research about their history, their movements, pricing, etc. you don't have to buy a whole bunch of watches to appreciate the brand.

a little diversity helps to alleviate the tunnel vision that plagues this forum.
horseShu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2021, 03:01 PM   #51
Kevin of Larchmont
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Ingersoll Mickey
Take a few other guys with you as you go, see if you can shorten the wait time for the rest of us.
Kevin of Larchmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2021, 03:40 PM   #52
Strad
"TRF" Member

I love my Rolexes. I also love my Omega Seamaster 2254.50.00. It has incredible presence. Great lume, red tipped second hand and overall appearance. It also keeps great time. The Speedmaster Moonwatch is also a very nice watch.

Rolex watches have gone up significantly in price. In return they've produced better movements, bezels and bracelets. Are we getting more? Are they worth it?

Recently, I've been thinking that the Rolex bezel designs are getting a little cliched and wish they would come out with something different.

I can't really say that there are a lot of other brands that rock my boat.

Best of luck in your search!
Strad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2021, 08:24 PM   #53
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Quote:
Originally Posted by horseShu View Post
It will be good for you to at least look at other brands. and i mean, read about them, research about their history, their movements, pricing, etc. you don't have to buy a whole bunch of watches to appreciate the brand.

a little diversity helps to alleviate the tunnel vision that plagues this forum.
+1
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2021, 11:18 PM   #54
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
I know what you mean. For those of us that have been familiar with Rolex way back when, the insta hype, AD games, and fabricated scarcity turns one off. I think there are many here lulled into the false exclusivity of owning an it model. For those of us with perspective I think it’s become very off putting. I have told this story before but I knew it got nuts when I had a 10 year old in my office, glance down at my wrist and say whoa, is that a Rolex. I mean in the 80’s and 90’s at those price points it was easier to find value in the watch, but the prices have far outpaced inflation and for what? Ultimately “upgrades” that really catered more to jewelry wearers than tool watch folks. The ceramics are flashy, more likely to fail, solid links while feel more lux simply feel stronger and just add heft and are held together by the same pins, making them in actuality no stronger than their 4/5 digit brothers. So, then let’s get this right, we are paying 4/5 times the cost of these now compared to the 90’s, and now we have to get in line? That’s also a hard pass for me. I am too smart to buy into the fake sacristy that too many lux brands are doing these days and is played out. Tudor had taken over what Rolex used to be and Rolex went upstream to compete with AP.
Chester01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2021, 02:05 AM   #55
shaunylw
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kizerman View Post
Gone too son. lol

The normal procedure for a two month member is a bronze statue to commemorate the incredible 60 days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
shaunylw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2021, 02:32 AM   #56
Cambo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/Grand Seiko
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chester01 View Post
I know what you mean. For those of us that have been familiar with Rolex way back when, the insta hype, AD games, and fabricated scarcity turns one off. I think there are many here lulled into the false exclusivity of owning an it model. For those of us with perspective I think it’s become very off putting. I have told this story before but I knew it got nuts when I had a 10 year old in my office, glance down at my wrist and say whoa, is that a Rolex. I mean in the 80’s and 90’s at those price points it was easier to find value in the watch, but the prices have far outpaced inflation and for what? Ultimately “upgrades” that really catered more to jewelry wearers than tool watch folks. The ceramics are flashy, more likely to fail, solid links while feel more lux simply feel stronger and just add heft and are held together by the same pins, making them in actuality no stronger than their 4/5 digit brothers. So, then let’s get this right, we are paying 4/5 times the cost of these now compared to the 90’s, and now we have to get in line? That’s also a hard pass for me. I am too smart to buy into the fake sacristy that too many lux brands are doing these days and is played out. Tudor had taken over what Rolex used to be and Rolex went upstream to compete with AP.
You're going to break your arm patting yourself on the back. From what I see, your "perspective" is somewhat limited. Enjoy your Tudor.
Old 21 January 2021, 02:49 AM   #57
RJRJRJ
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chester01 View Post
These are always the best
RJRJRJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2021, 05:33 AM   #58
Sprta
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambo View Post
Why do people who have “had it with Rolex” have to announce their departure (on a Rolex forum no less)? Don’t let the door hit you on your way out....

this
Sprta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2021, 05:46 AM   #59
28mm
"TRF" Member

OK Boomer

(makes me laugh every time! and I'm one too)
Old 21 January 2021, 07:20 AM   #60
DGP
"TRF" Member

Sub 41mm with date £7,300. AP Royal Oak 41mm £20,900.
You think “Rolex went upstream to complete with AP”?
I think Rolex has a lot more paddling to do!
DGP is offline   Reply With Quote