The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 21 January 2021, 07:23 AM   #61
Harry_S
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacca View Post
Thankfully the forum recognized long ago the importance of having many sub forums for other brands.

A watch lover is a watch lover. And a Rolex lover alone isn’t what you want to be these days imop.
This
Harry_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2021, 07:27 AM   #62
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambo View Post
You're going to break your arm patting yourself on the back. From what I see, your "perspective" is somewhat limited. Enjoy your Tudor.

I been in the game longer than most here my friend don’t kid yourself. I have owned many Rolex in my time, and still own them, there a good company but I’m not into games.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Chester01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2021, 07:30 AM   #63
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJRJRJ View Post
These are always the best

You may want to see the Robb report (may 10th) on fake demand, it’s well documented. And when I was in my buying days, I got my Daytona (was in the safe) my brother for his batman (also in the back) a few months after it came out, and my AD called me and offered me the ceramic Daytona when that came out (I turned that down). Nothing more than smoke and mirrors. If you have spent enough, and play along you get the rewards. Not scarce.

Chester01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2021, 07:38 AM   #64
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chester01 View Post
You may want to see the Robb report (may 10th) on fake demand, it’s well documented. And when I was in my buying days, I got my Daytona (was in the safe) my brother for his batman (also in the back) a few months after it came out, and my AD called me and offered me the ceramic Daytona when that came out (I turned that down). Nothing more than smoke and mirrors. If you have spent enough, and play along you get the rewards. Not scarce.

https://robbreport.com/lifestyle/new...o-get-2913405/

Great Article. It is clear that this strategy is as successful as can be.
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2021, 07:51 AM   #65
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ2020 View Post

Not meant to be a rant, just posting a reason for my up coming absence. I will be enjoying the forum in other areas. Thank you all.

2 months and done...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2021, 09:01 AM   #66
Formula1
"TRF" Member

If you want a strong reliable watch I think that Sinn makes some pretty good tool watches.
Formula1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2021, 09:20 AM   #67
RJRJRJ
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chester01 View Post

I was referring to the fact that you said you were too smart, followed by a misspelled word just a few words after.
RJRJRJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2021, 09:55 AM   #68
BMess
"TRF" Member

I largely agree with the OP. After owning 4 Rolex models (DJ2, SubC, TT Daytona, DJ41), I am also done with Rolex until the games stop. I I don't value the brand enough to warrant grey market prices. Last year (and I understand things can change quickly) I walked into the NYC AP boutique to ask about a SS royal oak. The sales associate told me that AP has a list, but unlike Rolex, AP knows how many of each model they will be allocated for the year so AP opens their list up to that many people and no more. Everyone on the list gets a watch sometime during that year. Maybe if Rolex would do that some of us wouldn't be as upset with the company as we are now. Regardless, I agree with OP that there are many other watches that we should explore.
BMess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2021, 10:01 AM   #69
teck21
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Black Bay 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarrisonK View Post
The sales associate told me that AP has a list, but unlike Rolex, AP knows how many of each model they will be allocated for the year so AP opens their list up to that many people and no more. Everyone on the list gets a watch sometime during that year. Maybe if Rolex would do that some of us wouldn't be as upset with the company as we are now.
You are suggesting this your preferred lie?

To be told that the allocation for the year is fully taken up, rather than the truth which is they’d rather sell the watches to a ‘VIP’?

teck21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2021, 10:10 AM   #70
BMess
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by teck21 View Post
You are suggesting this your preferred lie?

To be told that the allocation for the year is fully taken up, rather than the truth which is they’d rather sell the watches to a ‘VIP’?

When I walked into AP it was December 7, 2019. I told the sales associate that I had never bought anything, I still need a few more months of savings before I could afford an AP but I wanted to find out how to reserve an SS royal oak (in fact the 38mm chrono pictured below). The woman was very nice, showed me the below watch that had already been sold, told me how much the deposit was, and told me that I should be able to get on the list during the entire month of January if I wanted it and that if I called on January 3 (or whatever the first business day of 2020 was), she'd happily put me on the list and I would have the watch at some point that year. I am by no means a VIP. I did not feel lied to and I did not feel as though there was any sort of game being played. It was a very pleasant experience.

BMess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2021, 10:16 AM   #71
emersm
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ2020 View Post
There are company's that produce watches at half the cost, I think are as good or better than Rolex in terms of QC, time keeping and durability.
I hear this a lot, can I ask which company's (in your opinion)
emersm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2021, 10:26 AM   #72
teck21
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Black Bay 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarrisonK View Post
When I walked into AP it was December 7, 2019. I told the sales associate that I had never bought anything, I still need a few more months of savings before I could afford an AP but I wanted to find out how to reserve an SS royal oak (in fact the 38mm chrono pictured below). The woman was very nice, showed me the below watch that had already been sold, told me how much the deposit was, and told me that I should be able to get on the list during the entire month of January if I wanted it and that if I called on January 3 (or whatever the first business day of 2020 was), she'd happily put me on the list and I would have the watch at some point that year. I am by no means a VIP. I did not feel lied to and I did not feel as though there was any sort of game being played. It was a very pleasant experience.

My bad, I read it as PP. Completely different kettle of fish.

Anyway this model would completely trash the Rolex brand today because it is not so much just something for watch lovers, or even more laughably, a tool watch.

It is now purely a luxury item, where unobtainability has become its hallmark.

Changing the model now to let anyone who wants one, have a fair chance of getting it, would send the Rolex brand, and sales into the dark ages.

Capitalism for luxury goods is based on unfairness of distribution. The more unfair, the better it is working.

teck21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2021, 10:28 AM   #73
blada4life
"TRF" Member

youre not going anywhere.
blada4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2021, 10:28 AM   #74
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
I fully get the OP’s thought process. I get it. I agree with it.

To bad for me that I like the watches.

I’ve tried other brands. I like PP, and a few others. But truly, when it comes to aesthetics, robustness, WR, comfort and just about all the things I like about a watch, you just can’t beat Rolex.

I wish it were not the case. I’ve tried so many times to shun the brand. I’m certain to try again.

I don’t think I’ll ever be successful though.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2021, 10:34 AM   #75
4smanderson
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710 (P serial)
So many great perspectives in the first 74 posts on this thread - what a great forum!

The thought I continued to have was, "I bet Rolex isn't too concerned about DJ2020 not buying their product anymore." I think we're up to about 7.7 billion people in the world now...

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
4smanderson is offline   Reply With Quote