The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 5 November 2018, 09:03 AM   #1
ra77man
"TRF" Member

AP ROC 26331ip.oo.1220ip.01 thoughts?

Hello Gents,

I'm contemplating the purchase of a pre-owned AP ROC 26331ip.oo.1220ip.01 (Titanium/Platinum) at approximately USD 32,700.

https://www.audemarspiguet.com/en/wa....OO.1220IP.01/

I've had the pleasure of previously owning a 15400 blue dial and currently have the ROO Elephant, ROO Navy and the ROO Diver. That's too many ROOs for me and I'm going to be letting go of my Navy and Elephant.

I haven't seen it in person but I'm intrigued at the bi-metallic combination and am wondering how a non-brushed bezel will look.

I'm doing my research and as always wanted your feedback on:
1. How it wears/looks
2. If it will hold value
3. Cost of servicing compared to an offshore or a regular royal oak
4. Anything else

Cheers!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg basic image.jpg (54.7 KB, 576 views)
ra77man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 November 2018, 09:47 AM   #2
Greg75
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/JLC/AP
Saw one at a boutique. It is spectacular looking. Service costs should be about the same as Offshores, more than RO. Believe all AP chronographs without other complications have the same basic service charges. As to value retention, have no idea. But, it is a special piece. Doubt there ever will be many out there to drive down values.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Greg75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 November 2018, 09:50 AM   #3
Greg75
"TRF" Member

Forgot: ROCs and ROs on bracelets all wear a bit larger than the measurements suggest. I’d say 41mm ROC on bracelet were more like a 43mm from another manufacturer. Sure others with more experience will be able to be more specific.

Old 5 November 2018, 09:01 PM   #4
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg75 View Post
Forgot: ROCs and ROs on bracelets all wear a bit larger than the measurements suggest. I’d say 41mm ROC on bracelet were more like a 43mm from another manufacturer. Sure others with more experience will be able to be more specific.

Agree with your comments on this piece, however on bracelet this actually wears a bit smaller than on a strap, esp a leather one, which can make the head seem even wider, on bracelet it all flows more smoothly.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2018, 02:06 PM   #5
Amiricanmade
"TRF" Member

Watch: Many
Quote:

100%. 39 RO wears MUCH larger than a 40.5 Nautilus..i would say the 41 AP wears closer to 43-44 of other brands due to the tall case.
Amiricanmade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 November 2018, 12:51 PM   #6
Helmi
"TRF" Member

It is a fantastic piece. I own the steel blue on silver and absolutely love it. This one will be more special no doubt about it and the price seems already depreciated as compared to MSRP (AFAIK MSRP is around 42-43k ISH). The only remark is the shiny platinum bezel as it seems scratch magnet as compared to the already scratch sensitive steel bezel.

Good luck with the purchase
Helmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 November 2018, 01:33 PM   #7
jumpmandk
"TRF" Member

Polished bezel is amazing in every facet - perfect in photographs, wrist shots, etc.

Personally I want to say it's no different than the PCL in Rolex oyster bracelets in terms of being a scratch magnet. I've worn it daily and while I am not rough on my watches, I don't baby it by any means.

I am happy to share with you some photos in the next few posts
jumpmandk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 November 2018, 01:36 PM   #8
jumpmandk
"TRF" Member

These photos are after about just under a year of daily wear. Hope this helps!
Old 5 November 2018, 01:44 PM   #9
Greg75
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumpmandk View Post
These photos are after about just under a year of daily wear. Hope this helps!
Fantastic photos. The watch is more stunning every time I see it. One of my two favorite ROCs and the one I would buy, since I have rose gold well covered with my RG44 ROO.

ra77man: if you decide to pass, please PM me with the contact info for your source. I am very interested, at the price you mentioned.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 5 November 2018, 10:47 PM   #10
benlee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, PP
Quote:
Originally Posted by ra77man View Post
Hello Gents,

I'm contemplating the purchase of a pre-owned AP ROC 26331ip.oo.1220ip.01 (Titanium/Platinum) at approximately USD 32,700.

https://www.audemarspiguet.com/en/wa....OO.1220IP.01/

I've had the pleasure of previously owning a 15400 blue dial and currently have the ROO Elephant, ROO Navy and the ROO Diver. That's too many ROOs for me and I'm going to be letting go of my Navy and Elephant.

I haven't seen it in person but I'm intrigued at the bi-metallic combination and am wondering how a non-brushed bezel will look.

1. How it wears/looks
2. If it will hold value
4. Anything else

Cheers!

I have previewed the piece last year in one of the AP trunk shows held at the boutique in Singapore. I can assure you it's absolutely gorgeous looking piece. It does have on minor caveat for me not to buy it, the polish platinum bezel which is a finger print and ding magnet. But if you are someone that can wear the watch very careful, by all means go for it!

Answering your questions :

1) It wears big as it's 41mm so I guess a certain min wrist size is required.

2) It's a limited edition so at least AP won't be producing it again and probably last of it's kind once AP start to introduce the new movement.

3) I supposed it's about on par as your ROOs

4) As stated, wear with care and you are good.
Old 6 November 2018, 05:25 AM   #11
ragsk
Banned

Last week when we were at the Renaud & Papi factory tour, I noticed that Guilio Papi was wearing an old RO Perpetual Calendar which from a materials perspective was effectively the equivalent of today’s IP models but used steel instead of titanium.

He said he had worn the watch everyday for the last 15 years. Never had it polished. Sure the platinum bezel was marked up but it didn’t look that bad. He said he would rather wear a watch that showed his life’s scars than a brand new looking piece. Puts it into perspective.
ragsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2018, 05:35 AM   #12
SC11
Banned

Watch: AP ☠️
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragsk View Post
Last week when we were at the Renaud & Papi factory tour, I noticed that Guilio Papi was wearing an old RO Perpetual Calendar which from a materials perspective was effectively the equivalent of today’s IP models but used steel instead of titanium.

He said he had worn the watch everyday for the last 15 years. Never had it polished. Sure the platinum bezel was marked up but it didn’t look that bad. He said he would rather wear a watch that showed his life’s scars than a brand new looking piece. Puts it into perspective.
For a 15 year old piece I thought it looked great!

Plus he put a Papi scratch on my 407 must be worth more now
SC11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2018, 02:40 PM   #13
hdfb910
"TRF" Member

I love this watch, looks even better in person the dial can take on different shades of gray.I just think it is a super cool piece. scratches will happen, live with it and learn to be a little careful is all. Great Watch!!
Patek Philippe 5711/1A-010, Patek Philippe 5170G, Patek Philippe 5227R, Audemar Piguet 15400or, Audemar Piguet 15707ce, Audemar Piguet 26331IP, Audemar 15500 Blue dial, Rolex Pepsi 16710, Rolex Sub 116619LB (Smurf) F.P Journe Platinum Chronometre Souverain, Old School Breitling SuperOcean A17360, Jaeger LeCoultre Geophysic Tru Seconds

Instagram: @donpedro_007
hdfb910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2018, 03:07 PM   #14
beck.
"TRF" Member

When the 26331IP was unveiled I immediately loved it. It’s actually what got me really into the AP brand. Especially how those small platinum links contrast with the titanium.

I was very lucky to have picked up one of the last ones AP produced in August. My sales rep was preparing my 26331OR purchase and said “Are there any other pieces you’d like to have?” I jokingly said yes the platinum / titanium chrono with the expectation she would say “oh those have all been sold”. Surprisingly she said they just got their last one in and she needs to check if she can sell it to me. 15 minutes later I was trying it on and she said I could buy it! I simply couldn’t pass it up.

Here we are today and I have yet to wear it. I’m aware it’s value is higher than what I paid however, I’m not in the business to flip watches. I’ve mostly been concerned how easily that platinum bezel can scuff and show wear. Recently I’ve been building the courage (also with the help of this thread) to just unwrap it, size it, and start rocking it.

Thanks for sharing your opinions and experiences!
beck. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 November 2018, 10:01 AM   #15
myporsche
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex♠Lange
Quote:
Originally Posted by beck. View Post
When the 26331IP was unveiled I immediately loved it. It’s actually what got me really into the AP brand. Especially how those small platinum links contrast with the titanium.

I was very lucky to have picked up one of the last ones AP produced in August. My sales rep was preparing my 26331OR purchase and said “Are there any other pieces you’d like to have?” I jokingly said yes the platinum / titanium chrono with the expectation she would say “oh those have all been sold”. Surprisingly she said they just got their last one in and she needs to check if she can sell it to me. 15 minutes later I was trying it on and she said I could buy it! I simply couldn’t pass it up.

Here we are today and I have yet to wear it. I’m aware it’s value is higher than what I paid however, I’m not in the business to flip watches. I’ve mostly been concerned how easily that platinum bezel can scuff and show wear. Recently I’ve been building the courage (also with the help of this thread) to just unwrap it, size it, and start rocking it.

Please man, wear it let it scratch and enjoy the heck out of that thing. There is not too many around, you said you love it, you said you won't flip it so WEAR it, life is short.
myporsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 November 2018, 05:00 PM   #16
ra77man
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmi View Post
It is a fantastic piece. I own the steel blue on silver and absolutely love it. This one will be more special no doubt about it and the price seems already depreciated as compared to MSRP (AFAIK MSRP is around 42-43k ISH). The only remark is the shiny platinum bezel as it seems scratch magnet as compared to the already scratch sensitive steel bezel. Good luck with the purchase
The blue one is beautiful too, this one seemed a bit more special from the pictures. I'm going to check it out next week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumpmandk View Post
Polished bezel is amazing in every facet - perfect in photographs, wrist shots, etc.
Personally I want to say it's no different than the PCL in Rolex oyster bracelets in terms of being a scratch magnet. I've worn it daily and while I am not rough on my watches, I don't baby it by any means.
I am happy to share with you some photos in the next few posts
Thank you for the beautiful pictures, is it true though that pics don't do it justice?

Quote:
Fantastic photos. The watch is more stunning every time I see it. One of my two favorite ROCs and the one I would buy, since I have rose gold well covered with my RG44 ROO.
ra77man: if you decide to pass, please PM me with the contact info for your source. I am very interested, at the price you mentioned.
Sure, if I pass on it I'll definitely provide you the contact details.

Quote:
Originally Posted by benlee View Post
I have previewed the piece last year in one of the AP trunk shows held at the boutique in Singapore. I can assure you it's absolutely gorgeous looking piece. It does have on minor caveat for me not to buy it, the polish platinum bezel which is a finger print and ding magnet. But if you are someone that can wear the watch very careful, by all means go for it!
Answering your questions :
1) It wears big as it's 41mm so I guess a certain min wrist size is required.
2) It's a limited edition so at least AP won't be producing it again and probably last of it's kind once AP start to introduce the new movement.
3) I supposed it's about on par as your ROOs
4) As stated, wear with care and you are good.
I practice decent wrist awareness and this won't really be my daily driver anyway. Having said that my one concern is that I don't want to lose money if I don't end up falling in love with it and decide to flip it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amiricanmade View Post
100%. 39 RO wears MUCH larger than a 40.5 Nautilus..i would say the 41 AP wears closer to 43-44 of other brands due to the tall case.
That's for sure. I've owned a 15400 in the past which wore larger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beck. View Post
I'm usually not a fan of titanium because I find it darker and duller than stainless steel, but I'm intrigued by the contrast between platinum and titanium and how the metals play off each other. Then there's the grey dial which I'm a huge fan of (currently own the Elephant and love how it looks, don't love how it wears because it digs into my wrist). I'm not sure how much easier platinum scratches compared to stainless steel but I have decent wrist awareness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by myporsche View Post
Please man, wear it let it scratch and enjoy the heck out of that thing. There is not too many around, you said you love it, you said you won't flip it so WEAR it, life is short.
I fully agree!
Old 6 November 2018, 05:53 PM   #17
ragsk
Banned

Or wait for an IP Perpetual Calendar to come out next year. On the cards I feel.
Old 6 November 2018, 06:10 PM   #18
jumpmandk
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragsk View Post
Or wait for an IP Perpetual Calendar to come out next year. On the cards I feel.
Been pondering this myself, almost like the last iteration of any model car before they do a model change they give it all the bells and whistles.

Wonder if they'd continue the Perpetual if/when they come out with the RD2?
Old 7 November 2018, 07:44 PM   #19
ra77man
"TRF" Member

Is the grey dial the same as the rheutherium dial with blue subdials?
Old 7 November 2018, 08:14 PM   #20
myporsche
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex♠Lange
Quote:
AP lists this watch as "Slate grey" and the 15400 as "Grey ruthenium-toned". When I looked at high res videos of the IP and compared it to my Ruthenium 15400 it looks the same, as least to my eyes, especially when I look at the date wheel. In some pictures like Jumpmans above or when there is more lighting it looks to be a lighter tone. I certainly hope you end up getting this watch OP, I think its a real beauty especially if you like ROCs. The contrast and play of metals and the colors is very nice. I'm not a ROC fan but this one could change my mind.
myporsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 November 2018, 10:32 PM   #21
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
I'd be surprised if they were exactly the same colour, the ROC would be classified as such if it were so.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 November 2018, 07:24 AM   #22
ra77man
"TRF" Member

So a minor update is that I've been informed that the seller can't find the papers and we would have to get replacement papers from AP. Is the price still fair? Should I still go for it? If I get replacement papers, will it hurt re-sale (incase it doesn't grow on me and I decide to sell?)?
Old 9 November 2018, 08:27 AM   #23
Submarino
"TRF" Member

Watch: them for me!
Quote:

1. How it wears/looks
2. If it will hold value
4. Anything else

Cheers!
These two links should help you pull the trigger. I personally love it! Cost of servicing the same as a ROO, value will go up with time as a low number was produced, wears perfectly and in a very unique way because of the mirror polished bezel.

https://www.watchcollectinglifestyle...ctures-pricing

https://www.watchcollectinglifestyle...tal-royal-oaks

Instagram @watchcollectinglifestyle

Submarino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 November 2018, 09:07 AM   #24
ra77man
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submarino View Post
These two links should help you pull the trigger. I personally love it! Cost of servicing the same as a ROO, value will go up with time as a low number was produced, wears perfectly and in a very unique way because of the mirror polished bezel.
https://www.watchcollectinglifestyle...ctures-pricing
https://www.watchcollectinglifestyle...tal-royal-oaks
Both the articles are very useful. I wish I could find youtube review videos though - so far there's only videos of the watch itself and those aren't too clear either.
Old 9 November 2018, 09:45 AM   #25
Submarino
"TRF" Member

Watch: them for me!
Quote:
Both the articles are very useful. I wish I could find youtube review videos though - so far there's only videos of the watch itself and those aren't too clear either.
My pics on the Eye Candy post were taken under natural light. The color of the dial is portrayed as accurately as possible. The hue is very similar —almost identical— to the one on my 15400 Ruthenium Dial. Here's a link to it.

https://www.watchcollectinglifestyle...enium-hands-on

Also regarding buying with no papers I wouldn't do it unless you're closer to $29-30K

Instagram @watchcollectinglifestyle

Submarino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 November 2018, 10:12 AM   #26
ra77man
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submarino View Post
My pics on the Eye Candy post were taken under natural light. The color of the dial is portrayed as accurately as possible. The hue is very similar —almost identical— to the one on my 15400 Ruthenium Dial. Here's a link to it.

https://www.watchcollectinglifestyle...enium-hands-on

Also regarding buying with no papers I wouldn't do it unless you're closer to $29-30K
Thanks for the pricing indication - I'll push for it and see how low he's willing to drop it. Also, thank you for the lighting reference - I felt that it's very similar to rutherium dial too.
Old 9 November 2018, 08:33 AM   #27
Greg75
"TRF" Member

AP site states AP charges 250 CHF for an extract or 1000 CHF for authentication. As long as the watch checks out, any remaining warranty would still be honored, as far as I know.

Missing papers do have a negative effect on resale value, but likely not much more, if any more, than the costs above. If the seller is someone you know or have good reason to trust, perhaps you should point out the costs above and try work something out, including a bit of an extra discount from above for the hassle.

Would not put me off, if I had good reason to trust the seller. But I would negotiate the best possible deal and follow through with getting the appropriate documents/authentication from AP.

Does the seller still have the box?

Old 9 November 2018, 09:07 AM   #28
ra77man
"TRF" Member

Quote:
AP site states AP charges 250 CHF for an extract or 1000 CHF for authentication. As long as the watch checks out, any remaining warranty would still be honored, as far as I know.
Missing papers do have a negative effect on resale value, but likely not much more, if any more, than the costs above. If the seller is someone you know or have good reason to trust, perhaps you should point out the costs above and try work something out, including a bit of an extra discount from above for the hassle.
Would not put me off, if I had good reason to trust the seller. But I would negotiate the best possible deal and follow through with getting the appropriate documents/authentication from AP.
Does the seller still have the box?
My dealer knows the seller and says he's got a good reputation. He's got the box but can't find the papers. I have told him that missing papers would incur an extra cost so he needs to bring down his selling price.

Alternatively - do you think I should just purchase without papers? (if I'm able to negotiate it down to approx. USD 31,300)
Old 9 November 2018, 09:30 AM   #29
Greg75
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Alternatively - do you think I should just purchase without papers? (if I'm able to negotiate it down to approx. USD 31,300)

Can only say that sounds fairly reasonable to me.
Old 9 November 2018, 10:49 AM   #30
ragsk
Banned

Quote:
My dealer knows the seller and says he's got a good reputation. He's got the box but can't find the papers. I have told him that missing papers would incur an extra cost so he needs to bring down his selling price.

AP will not issue another warranty card. Not sure what that means in terms of warranty etc but someone here will know. Likely AP will honour the warranty I expect.