The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 17 December 2016, 06:52 AM   #31
motoikkyu
2024 Pledge Member

If you do a fully correct build: all vintage genuine period-correct parts, any new parts genuine replacements, you still have, strictly speaking, a "frankenwatch." However, when all the parts are right for the serial, you really have a genuine Rolex that is just not like it came from the factory. Serviceability and utility and beauty are not affected, only re-sale value. This watch should be disclosed as "all-genuine" as opposed to "all original." And many collectors and wearers will not care that it is not as it left the factory. I've seen many an 1803 wearing a smooth 1802 bezel: someone just liked it better that way and the difference in inherent value isn't huge.
Old 17 December 2016, 07:38 AM   #32
themaninblack
"TRF" Member

In order for a watch to be a "Frankenwatch" once the movement is wound and set in motion it has to turn on it's maker and try to destroy him!
themaninblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2016, 11:10 AM   #33
J!m
"TRF" Member

Watch: this! Hold my beer
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in MA View Post
Here is my take which is an expansion on larry's IMO.

Frankenwatch: A watch created using parts from different watches to make one watch. Term only used when a seller is attempting to sell the item whether as original, or as something it isn't.

Project Watch: A watch created using parts from different watches to m ake one watch. Used when a seller is up front on what the watch is and prices accordingly.

Modded/Custom watch: A watch that uses genuine Rolex parts to modify an existing model into something that doesn't exist. Clear indication is given if the seller ever attempts to sell. If no clear indication is given, the watch falls into the Frankenwatch category.

All Original: A watch that has all the original parts and pieces.

NOS: A watch that was NEVER used. Not something that was worn and stuck in a drawer, but something that was NEVER used. An attempt to sell something as NOS that isn't is just a bastard who deserves to be hung and dried. In that case it falls into the All Original category.

Restored: A vintage watch that has visible parts such as dial/bezel/hands/etc. replaced during service with modern replacement parts.

Vintage: An All original that might have a new bezel insert, or dial, or hands etc. which keeps it from being able to be classified as All Original.

Period Correct: A vintage watch that has had parts such as a dial/hands/movement etc. replaced with other parts that are period correct. Full disclosure needed that it is a Period correct but not original. Otherwise, it falls into the Vintage category.

That's my take on the whole thing.
I agree. Some may argue on the semantics but this illustrates the point.
J!m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2016, 08:38 PM   #34
Mick P
Banned

Watch: 39mm Explorer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent65 View Post
You could get another bezel, and keep the original. Nothing lost. Just a bit of money spent. Then you have best of both.
Hi Vincent

Yes that is an option. Out of curiosity, would you rather buy a totally original watch that still has worn bezels etc or a watch that has been refurbished with Rolex parts.

On one side you have a worn watch with history and on the other a newer and smarter looking watch.

Regards

Mick
Mick P is offline   Reply With Quote