The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 5 July 2018, 11:41 PM   #1
Lonestar19
"TRF" Member

Your opinion needed on this 1970's 1675 pepsi

Respectable RF members,

I would more than welcome your advice on this timepiece for what could possibly be my first "true" (I have a Tudor...) Rolex purchase.

The seller says it is from 1970, I am waiting for a confirmation on the S/N. He had it serviced/polished/cut in 2010. At least he doesn't try to sell it as "might have been polished in the past"... The parts that were changed (only internals from what I can see, including the rotor...) are part of the sale. I cannot see any hands/dial parts.

Bracelet is admittedly a later 93150.

Last but not least, the watch is said to have its b&p, part of which I have a pic of but I am asking for confirmation.

Would the experts on the forum comment on this watch, please? I apologise for the average-quality pics.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Best Regards,
Paul

Lonestar19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2018, 02:28 AM   #2
HarryLime
"TRF" Member

Regardless of serial number, the quarter and year of production will be engraved inside the case back.
HarryLime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2018, 04:31 AM   #3
1675-David
"TRF" Member

looks beautiful! the dial is consistent with the date you've been given, looks like it's in great condition Mk1 or long E dial, lovely insert, and the case looks nice and fat..

Whats's not to like?
1675-David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2018, 05:22 AM   #4
Lonestar19
"TRF" Member

Thank you both.

I am concerned about the lugs, which are cut a bit too deep (not much metal left between holes and chamfer as opposed to what some of these pics can lead you to believe), but at least this is something I'm aware of.

I just spent a good chunk of my evening scrutineering that "long E" Mk1 Dial without finding anything to complain about... but I'm a noob, and I know the devil is in the details, and we're talking a good chunk of cash here. I've never paid that much for a watch. I know there are 1675's that are worth 2 or 3 or 4 times more than this one but still, that's a boatload of cahs... So I'm feeling slightly nervous as I know this is a minefield.

Thank you all for any extra insight you might bring :)

Best,
Paul
Old 6 July 2018, 06:55 AM   #5
lee fowler
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT
Looks mighty fine to me and yes had work but it is nearly fifty years old!!

Instagram: @lee1563
lee fowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2018, 08:19 AM   #6
Tom1675
"TRF" Member

Looks like a good one and sounds like you've got a good seller which is half the battle. Pics of the papers and box, b/t lugs and caseback would be ideal...
Tom1675 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2018, 03:13 PM   #7
omitohud
"TRF" Member

Maybe I’m a little picky but I don’t like the way the case was cut. I feel it wasn’t refinished true to the original vintage proportion. For example compare this pic of the crown guards to the one u sent. See how much squarish and shorter they are on ur pic?

I don’t think it’s a deal breaker if all checks out. And that beautiful FF raspberry insert though. It depends on the asking price imo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
omitohud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2018, 03:34 PM   #8
HarryLime
"TRF" Member

What is the asking price?
HarryLime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2018, 05:10 PM   #9
Lonestar19
"TRF" Member

Re price, it's in the "average" - not the best deal on the planet, but not that bad, and i'm a sucker for B&P's, so I'm willing to compromise a bit on the rest for this. Actually, not full-full set, "only" box, instructions and certificate (with the matching case number which I finally got, it's a 2.4Milsthing).

I agree on the case being ok but not stellar, crown guards, and south-east lug - ithe case is the element of the watch that I think is sub-par... which is a shame as I like the rest a lot, hands, bezel (yum!), dial (although could have more patinated indices).

Here are a few more pics. I think I will decide today as I'm thinking there's a chance it might fly off the shelves. the B&P bit is quite compelling.

Thank you,

Paul

Old 6 July 2018, 05:41 PM   #10
lee fowler

I think I can speak for most people on here and say condition over box and papers and don't forget to factor in the bracelet.

Old 6 July 2018, 05:52 PM   #11
Lonestar19
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee fowler View Post
I think I can speak for most people on here and say condition over box and papers and don't forget to factor in the bracelet.
cheers Lee for the comments. I agree in principle... my issue is when I find a watch with period paperworks, I tend to go weak in the knees... there's something about them that makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside, the idea that there is something real and human about the timepiece... I know, it's a bit dumb, right?

We don't wear the boxes, we wear the watches. And wearing a watch that you know has a corresponding box and "parchment" at home is awesome. I have a very nice Speedmaster MkII Racing that I purchased from a Russian gentleman, but that has its B&P from Zermatt (I'm in switzerland, by the way...) from the 70's and I absolute cherish it because of this. The idea that 45 years ago some bloke walked into a shop in Zermatt and purchased the very watch you have on your wrist after it travelled the world is totally rad I think :) But you are correct it shouldn't deter the buyer from keeping a cold head when deciding to sign the check or not. Do you actually consider the condition of this watch to be sub-par? I checked your IG and you have some pretty stunning GMT's there for sure.

Good point on the bracelet - I tend to forget this because I actually like full links better in general, but you are totally correct.

If only that case would be nicer on this one... that insert is so lovely!

ha... decisions...

Thanks!
Paul
Old 6 July 2018, 09:19 PM   #12
TimeToGo

Get pics of caseback and reference numbers..
Definitely before buying..
TimeToGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2018, 10:05 PM   #13
bearjere21
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1982 GMT16750
honestly did you expect a flawless condition watch with a 50 year old history? if you like it, buy it and don't worry about it. It's a great looking watch.
bearjere21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2018, 10:17 PM   #14
Lonestar19
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeToGo View Post
Get pics of caseback and reference numbers..
Definitely before buying..
Thank you for your advice

I have ref numbers from the case, and it matches the paperworks. The seller cannot open the caseback. Would some pics from the outside of the case back be compelling?

Thank you,
Paul
Old 6 July 2018, 10:20 PM   #15
Lonestar19
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearjere21 View Post
honestly did you expect a flawless condition watch with a 50 year old history? if you like it, buy it and don't worry about it.

I certainly don't. This is my first Rollie, I have some experience with the "other" big swiss brand and I understand vintage watches ;) That's my first "big ticket item" (read 5 figures), and I know the vintage rolex market is a total minefield for noobs, so please pardon my nervousness/

My key takeouts from all the comments above is that you don't see anything "wrong" with the watch that is not obviously visible (namely, the case).

Thank you for your help everyone

Best Regards,
Paul
Old 6 July 2018, 11:27 PM   #16
77T

If you wondered, “Is it real?” - then yes it is.

But for a concern about the lugs having been overly or unevenly refinished, it is a decent GMT.

If your budget allows, there are 1675’s in better condition. But be prepared to pay 150-200% of the “average” price range.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2018, 11:50 PM   #17
Lonestar19
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
If you wondered, “Is it real?” - then yes it is.

But for a concern about the lugs having been overly or unevenly refinished, it is a decent GMT.

If your budget allows, there are 1675’s in better condition. But be prepared to pay 150-200% of the “average” price range.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Sobering thought indeed. Thank you
Old 7 July 2018, 12:03 AM   #18
Tom1675
"TRF" Member

Yeah, time to decide... Is there a return period on this? If so buy it for sure, put it on your wrist and see if the case is something you can tolerate. For me it is the crown guards are still thick and southeast lug is fine. It was common for these to leave the factory with uneven lugs, they're hand made. The bracelet is an issue but not a problem but if you sold this one and bought a rivet the cost isn't huge.
Tom1675 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2018, 12:06 AM   #19
TimeToGo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonestar19 View Post
Thank you for your advice

I have ref numbers from the case, and it matches the paperworks. The seller cannot open the caseback. Would some pics from the outside of the case back be compelling?

Thank you,
Paul
Anything can be made to match papers..
Just do your due diligence..
TimeToGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2018, 01:06 AM   #20
Lonestar19
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom1675 View Post
Yeah, time to decide... Is there a return period on this? If so buy it for sure, put it on your wrist and see if the case is something you can tolerate. For me it is the crown guards are still thick and southeast lug is fine. It was common for these to leave the factory with uneven lugs, they're hand made. The bracelet is an issue but not a problem but if you sold this one and bought a rivet the cost isn't huge.
thank you. No return period as the watch is located abroad and I will travel to go pick it up in person. I would pay a deposit, then the rest on delivery. My thoughts exactly on the bracelet. I already have a trade-in offer on it by a friend even before (possibly) purchasing the watch...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeToGo View Post
Anything can be made to match papers..
Just do your due diligence..
Yes. Sound advice. I have sent pictures of the paperworks to a(nother WIS...) friend of mind so he can share his thoughts. I'd be really, really surprised if they were fake, but again, where there's money to be made, there's crooks ready to give it a try.

thank you everyone, have a great weekend :)

Paul
Old 7 July 2018, 05:41 AM   #21
Lonestar19
"TRF" Member

update: the paperworks might not be bogus, but it certainly isn't compelling... the perforated/printed piece isn't there, all that is available is a handwritten s/n on both the leaflet and chronometer certificate, which could just be newer pieces. It sucks... suddenly my interest for this watch has evaporated, at least at the premium price the seller is asking for.

it's a tough world, this vintage GMT universe, I'm telling you :(
Old 7 July 2018, 06:05 AM   #22
lee fowler

I have sent you a PM.

Old 7 July 2018, 07:02 AM   #23
Lonestar19
"TRF" Member