The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex WatchTech

Old 26 December 2017, 12:39 AM   #1
robserum
"TRF" Member

How to adjust vintage jubilee bracelet without screws

How to adjust (make shorter) vintage jubilee bracelet without screws ?

I can't find any information about this topic ?

How to do this or where to buy a tool.
robserum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2017, 06:49 AM   #2
Fredrik
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1680
You need to carefully open the links with nylon pliers and then even more carefully put it together again. There are no special tools for this. A competent jeweler might be able to help you.

Search for size adjusting folded bracelet, you might find something then.
Fredrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2017, 07:36 PM   #3
crowncollection
"TRF" Member

unfold the links and knock the pin out
Old 12 January 2018, 07:27 AM   #4
68shark
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1969 Oysterdate
Same problem here

I have an early 1970's TT Jubilee (Swiss not USA) that needs some links out for sizing. The inner links are gold but unlike the USA jubilee aren't pressed together but rather they are sealed together. The USA version can be pried apart, this looks like it has to be cut.

I am taking it to an AD here who feels they can sort it out. I'll post the outcome of that discussion.
68shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2018, 07:35 PM   #5
Porsche544
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710 16570
My bracelet is currently with a local jeweler, it is also the folded links version from 1966. I think he’s having a difficult time figuring out how to do it properly. I should hear back from him soon and I’ll post the outcome.
Porsche544 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2018, 03:08 AM   #6
saskmh
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68shark View Post
I have an early 1970's TT Jubilee (Swiss not USA) that needs some links out for sizing. The inner links are gold but unlike the USA jubilee aren't pressed together but rather they are sealed together. The USA version can be pried apart, this looks like it has to be cut.

I am taking it to an AD here who feels they can sort it out. I'll post the outcome of that discussion.
I have seen this. I looked at a two tone jubilee the other day that had its gold links fused (gold soldered) shut.
Old 25 January 2018, 04:48 AM   #7
68shark
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1969 Oysterdate
Quote:

Update: Back from Rolex AD just outside Toronto Canada. Damiani in Woodbridge. Highly recommend them, by the way.

There are pins in the links not unlike the pins in fixed Oyster links with knurled ends. Watchmaker drove them out using presumably a hammer and a vise to hold the band. He had to soak it in some wet oil to soften as initially they wouldn't come out. The bracelet dates to 1973 so no real surprise there. He thought he'd have to permanently destroy the links but he was able to successfully remove them hence they can be installed again, if necessary. Thus I now have the bracelet back ready to install on the watch. The cost? $5 plus tax. Not a typo. If they charged $50 I would have paid it readily.
68shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2018, 10:43 PM   #8
Vicc
"TRF" Member

Watch: Broad Arrow
Quote:
Update: Back from Rolex AD just outside Toronto Canada. Damiani in Woodbridge. Highly recommend them, by the way.

There are pins in the links not unlike the pins in fixed Oyster links with knurled ends. Watchmaker drove them out using presumably a hammer and a vise to hold the band. He had to soak it in some wet oil to soften as initially they wouldn't come out. The bracelet dates to 1973 so no real surprise there. He thought he'd have to permanently destroy the links but he was able to successfully remove them hence they can be installed again, if necessary. Thus I now have the bracelet back ready to install on the watch. The cost? $5 plus tax. Not a typo. If they charged $50 I would have paid it readily.
There is actually a tool thats used to pull the links apart one by one without damaging them, but my company definitely wouldn't do this kind of job for $5 since we're a repair center and not a store. :P
Vicc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2019, 06:58 AM   #9
littlegino
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicc View Post
There is actually a tool thats used to pull the links apart one by one without damaging them, but my company definitely wouldn't do this kind of job for $5 since we're a repair center and not a store. :P
What is the name of this tool? I am needing to remove a link from my Oval Jubilee as well...
littlegino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2021, 02:15 PM   #10
axelbrass
"TRF" Member

Hi, I'm looking into this too. From what I've read so far it looks like there are two tools which can make the process easier. They are described at esslinger.com with videos,

The first tool is for removing the link and the second tool for putting the links back into the pins.

The Jubilee link remover tool works by grabbing the outside links with a curved tooth piece and pulling the link apart to separate the individual link parts. You first need to identify what size tooth piece you need to fit your Jubilee style band; the tool comes with three different sizes for ladies and gents sized bands.

This link fitting tool is a vise that presses on both sides of the bracelet to evenly move the link back onto the pins. Fit the link back into place as much as you can before placing the bracelet into the vise. If the band tapers dramatically, place the band with the loose link in a way that the vise will press on both sides.

axelbrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2022, 02:31 AM   #11
JeffG14
"TRF" Member

I have this tool

Hi,
I have been following this forum for months. I had been attempting to remove several links from an old 1971 Datejust that belonged to my grandfather. When I brought the watch to Rolex for a full service, even they could not remove the links.

I purchased this tool from China. Due to customs and other issues, it took over six weeks to arrive. It took barely 15 seconds per link to remove . I did not purchase the tool to press them together as this was easy to do with a small rubber mallet.

I see no reason to keep this tool. If anyone would be interested in purchasing it from me, please instant message me on the forum.

Jeff
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PXL_20220501_144900585.jpg (215.6 KB, 118 views)
File Type: jpg PXL_20220430_151821300.jpg (195.3 KB, 116 views)
JeffG14 is offline   Reply With Quote