The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 11 December 2016, 04:59 AM   #1
cadictun
"TRF" Member

(Help) Confirm the authenticity of rolex pocket watch

Hello everyone,

First I hope you all a nice weekend.

And I'm watching and intend to buy a Pocket Rolex Watch 14k Gold filled, at the price of 510 pounds.

I doubt that the dial, movement were refinished, but I'm not experience with watch movement, I'm not a dealer though.

I'm very happy if any one could help me.

Many thanks in advance.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg s-l1600.jpg (103.2 KB, 160 views)
File Type: jpg s-l16002.jpg (110.7 KB, 162 views)
File Type: jpg s-l16005.jpg (158.7 KB, 162 views)
File Type: jpg s-l16007.jpg (87.7 KB, 162 views)
File Type: jpg s-l160010.jpg (103.9 KB, 165 views)
cadictun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2016, 06:33 AM   #2
offrdmania
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Probably the only thing that is Rolex and correct is the movement and maybe the hands. The case is most likely a boutique case since it is unmarked and that dial is way too clean and perfect to be original. To me, $500 is a bit high for a cobbled together pocket watch.
Old 11 December 2016, 06:35 AM   #3
MonBK
Banned

My opinion as well. ^
MonBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2016, 12:16 AM   #4
cadictun
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by offrdmania View Post
Probably the only thing that is Rolex and correct is the movement and maybe the hands. The case is most likely a boutique case since it is unmarked and that dial is way too clean and perfect to be original. To me, $500 is a bit high for a cobbled together pocket watch.

Hi thanks very much. The seller with high rate on ebay uk tells that he can confirm the dial and the movement are original.

But you're right, the case is not Rolex. So maybe 510 pounds is too much...hic....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12 December 2016, 01:39 AM   #5
cadictun
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Hi thanks,

The seller in UK confirm that the dial and movement are original. But you're right, the case back is not ROlex.

So 510 pounds is quite expensive for it?
Old 12 December 2016, 07:31 AM   #6
offrdmania

I highly doubt the dial is original regardless of what the seller says. It is way too clean and perfect for its age. How can the seller confirm the dial is original? To me, the ROLEX and the SWISS MADE were added to a basic dial. The S in the SWISS overlaps the seconds circle impression whereas the 5 and 7 roman numerals do not. The ROLEX was most likely added to increase its sale ability. And the entire case, not just the case back is not Rolex. Too much of the watch is not Rolex to demand the asking price.
Yes, 510 pounds is way too much for it. That is the absolute high end of retail for it and at that price it will be for sale for a long time. A good buy would be under 400 unless you really like it then go ahead at whatever you feel is fair. Just know that if you go to resell it you would be lucky if not impossible to recoup your money for it at his asking price.
Old 12 December 2016, 10:29 PM   #7
andromeda160
Banned

Watch: Rolex Oyster
Quote:
I highly doubt the dial is original regardless of what the seller says. It is way too clean and perfect for its age. How can the seller confirm the dial is original? To me, the ROLEX and the SWISS MADE were added to a basic dial. The S in the SWISS overlaps the seconds circle impression whereas the 5 and 7 roman numerals do not. The ROLEX was most likely added to increase its sale ability. And the entire case, not just the case back is not Rolex. Too much of the watch is not Rolex to demand the asking price.
Yes, 510 pounds is way too much for it. That is the absolute high end of retail for it and at that price it will be for sale for a long time. A good buy would be under 400 unless you really like it then go ahead at whatever you feel is fair. Just know that if you go to resell it you would be lucky if not impossible to recoup your money for it at his asking price.
Porcelein dials dont really age, they just crack.
andromeda160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2016, 10:36 PM   #8
cadictun
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andromeda160 View Post

Thank you all.

I bought it for 455 pounds with postage included. Maybe hurry a bit but I think it's acceptable for my first time in collecting vintage watches.

Many thanks for all and hope we will have further discussion and communication.

Old 13 December 2016, 02:44 AM   #9
offrdmania

Quote:
Originally Posted by andromeda160 View Post
That may be, but I think the ROLEX and SWISS MADE were added at a later date. They are a lighter shade of black and are printed much cruder than the rest of the printing on the dial. Most of these porcelain dials were unmarked on the face.
Old 13 December 2016, 03:42 AM   #10
GLADIATOR
"TRF" Member

Watch: YMII,GMTII,DAYTONA
Dial looks "enamel" to me (NOT porcelein!). Look at the "sunk" seconds.
If I am correct it will be 100% original - its impossible to remark an enamel dial.
And they never age (distress)
Dial amd movement look 100% original to me - hands are replacement - the minute hand is too long and case is not original, as the original movement hold screw mark is in a different position
Nice watch OP - ENJOY

Adam
Old 13 December 2016, 04:01 AM   #11
cadictun
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLADIATOR View Post
If I am correct it will be 100% original - its impossible to remark an enamel dial.
Dial amd movement look 100% original to me - hands are replacement - the minute hand is too long and case is not original, as the original movement hold screw mark is in a different position
Nice watch OP - ENJOY

Adam

Many thanks all. I bought it for 455 with postage included. The seller has 1300 stars on eBay and I think with original dial and movement, dimension 50mm, It's OK for me.

Again, thank you all very much :)

Old 13 December 2016, 07:10 AM   #12
offrdmania

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLADIATOR View Post
Nice watch OP - ENJOY

Adam

I was just pointing out that the dial isn't consistent with other examples of the same date range. We are by no means experts. We can only compare to other known models and make an educated guess.
Old 13 December 2016, 07:15 AM   #13
GLADIATOR
"TRF" Member

Watch: YMII,GMTII,DAYTONA
Quote:
I was just pointing out that the dial isn't consistent with other examples of the same date range. We are by no means experts. We can only compare to other known models and make an educated guess.
Understand
i am just pointing out "enamel" dials unlike metal ones the enamel can NOT be repainted or changed in the enamel!
Its basically impossible, so what the OP has is original. I am certain to that,

Hands and case are NOT original, but dial and movement are.
a