The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 30 January 2019, 05:18 AM   #1
crazymcmichael
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub 114060, 216570
1655 bargain ?

https://www.chrono24.nl/rolex/explor...id10197213.htm

is this one a bargain or is it just me??? I have no idea about vintage watches… Anything looking wrong with this particulary watch?
crazymcmichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2019, 06:54 AM   #2
Tom1675
"TRF" Member

this one is discussed here https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=653999
Tom1675 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2019, 07:22 AM   #3
dbfagan
"TRF" Member

It looks a little overly polished. Take a look at the lower lug on the left side-I think it’s the 7th picture in the listing.
dbfagan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2019, 08:37 AM   #4
donq
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610,1675,16030
Love the Steve McQueen!
donq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2019, 08:59 PM   #5
crazymcmichael
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by donq View Post
Love the Steve McQueen!
Yes!! Great watch i absolutely like it...
Old 31 January 2019, 01:05 AM   #6
jfmiii
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16750/16800/126710
need better pictures. the lume looks odd to me.
jfmiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2019, 05:00 AM   #7
SubKing
"TRF" Member

Watch: where do i start??
Quote:
Originally Posted by donq View Post
Love the Steve McQueen!
Yes, I love Steve McQueen too... I also love the 1655..
SubKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2019, 07:46 AM   #8
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfmiii View Post
need better pictures. the lume looks odd to me.
x10. Lume looks doctored, in the photos anyway. Too yellow, and the hands strangely and perfectly match that yellow. Photos can lie, especially when it comes to color, but I'd want to loupe it to make sure.

There might be even more problems with the dial. There are three versions (MK1-3) of the 1655 that have the "T Swiss T" marking on the bottom of the dial. It's not an MK1 straight hand, and it's not an MK2, which has the "frog foot" coronet. It looks similar to an MK3, but the serial number is too early at 3.0 million. The earliest would be about 3.5 million. Hmmmm ....

None of this is in stone or definitive. But it would give me pause and would certainly require more research and questions if I were looking to purchase this watch.

On top of everything else, the case is very poorly polished. Look at that 7 o'clock lug and the lug hole!
swish77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2019, 05:11 PM   #9
TurboWatch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swish77 View Post
x10. Lume looks doctored, in the photos anyway. Too yellow, and the hands strangely and perfectly match that yellow. Photos can lie, especially when it comes to color, but I'd want to loupe it to make sure.

There might be even more problems with the dial. There are three versions (MK1-3) of the 1655 that have the "T Swiss T" marking on the bottom of the dial. It's not an MK1 straight hand, and it's not an MK2, which has the "frog foot" coronet. It looks similar to an MK3, but the serial number is too early at 3.0 million. The earliest would be about 3.5 million. Hmmmm ....

None of this is in stone or definitive. But it would give me pause and would certainly require more research and questions if I were looking to purchase this watch.

On top of everything else, the case is very poorly polished. Look at that 7 o'clock lug and the lug hole!

This can't be a MK3. MK 3 should be the less commonly found rail dial.
TurboWatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2019, 03:58 AM   #10
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboWatch View Post
This can't be a MK3. MK 3 should be the less commonly found rail dial.
Good point. So, something's up with the OP's example.
Old 1 February 2019, 04:30 AM   #11
crazymcmichael
"TRF" Member

Quote:

where did you learn all this stuff ? damn man.. :D thanx!
Old 1 February 2019, 05:51 AM   #12
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazymcmichael View Post
where did you learn all this stuff ? damn man.. :D thanx!
Ha! Well, I've been staring at vintage Rolexes for many, many years, but in this specific case, I obsessively researched 1655s before I bought one in 2012 and again in 2015. And, of course, there's still plenty more to be learned.

Most of this info is out there, a lot of it on VRF. Stefano Mazzariol's fabulous site on 1655s helped me a lot, but now you need to pay to view it.
Old 1 February 2019, 06:25 AM   #13
crazymcmichael
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Ha! Well, I've been staring at vintage Rolexes for many, many years, but in this specific case, I obsessively researched 1655s before I bought one in 2012 and again in 2015. And, of course, there's still plenty more to be learned.

Most of this info is out there, a lot of it on VRF. Stefano Mazzariol's fabulous site on 1655s helped me a lot, but now you need to pay to view it.
Time for me to learn more about vintage, it is a whole difficult thing...………..
Old 1 February 2019, 07:18 AM   #14
JBZ
"TRF" Member

I've been looking at 1655's lately (dream watch - maybe someday). As stated, the Mazzariol site is pay only now, but I did find the below site that I think is pretty useful (assuming all the info is correct). The only thing I wish it did that it doesn't do is give a breakdown between the Mark dials by serial number range.

Anyways, might be a good resource for someone looking to buy. Apologies if it's been posted before.

https://www.revolution.watch/tooled-...eference-1655/
JBZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2019, 07:41 AM   #15
crazymcmichael
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBZ View Post
I've been looking at 1655's lately (dream watch - maybe someday). As stated, the Mazzariol site is pay only now, but I did find the below site that I think is pretty useful (assuming all the info is correct). The only thing I wish it did that it doesn't do is give a breakdown between the Mark dials by serial number range.

Anyways, might be a good resource for someone looking to buy. Apologies if it's been posted before.

Thank you !!!
Yes i can't actually believe that back in the days this watch wasn't popular at all.. … …. …..
Old 2 February 2019, 02:06 AM   #16
crazymcmichael
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBZ View Post

Real beautifull link that you sended me.............

Does anyone have more links like this of other? references aswell???? I'd like to learn more.