The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 28 February 2019, 10:08 AM   #1
ozwatchguy
"TRF" Member

1969 Rolex GMT Pepsi 1675

Hi all,

I’ve just been offered this 1969 Rolex GMT Pepsi 1675 on oyster bracelet 78360.

I haven’t got much experience with this vintage of watch but hopefully the experts can shed some light for me.

The owner purchased it used 25 years ago without a box and papers off the original owner. He has worn the watch for the last 25 years and remembers it being serviced around 10 or so years ago at RSC and having the crystal changed and possibly the dial? Would they have also changed the bracelet? He remembers paying around $500aud for this service 10 or so years ago.

I haven’t seen the watch in person yet as it’s interstate but here’s the photos the owner sent me

IMG_0948.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ozwatchguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2019, 10:08 AM   #2
ozwatchguy
"TRF" Member

Any input would be appreciated

Thanks in advance

Old 28 February 2019, 10:37 AM   #3
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
The bezel insert and 78360 bracelet are service replacement parts. The dial is referred to as the Mark VI dial found on some late 1970s GMTs which was also used as a service dial. I've seen several late 1960s GMTs with replacement dials which were Mark V and Mark VI as well as the tritium and luminova service dials.

Based on the $500 service expense, it would have been serviced by Rolex much longer than 10 years ago.

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2019, 12:26 PM   #4
ozwatchguy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post
The bezel insert and 78360 bracelet are service replacement parts. The dial is referred to as the Mark VI dial found on some late 1970s GMTs which was also used as a service dial. I've seen several late 1960s GMTs with replacement dials which were Mark V and Mark VI as well as the tritium and luminova service dials.

Based on the $500 service expense, it would have been serviced by Rolex much longer than 10 years ago.

Perfect thanks for your help springer answered everything I wanted to know

Old 2 March 2019, 03:16 AM   #5
corsokid
Banned

Looks like the same watch I purchased in 1967 while on Rand R in Singapore. Had it serviced only at the Rolex bldg in NYC. Think I still have the box and paperwork. Still running well. It’s going to my son.

corsokid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2019, 02:08 PM   #6
ozwatchguy
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Hi Springer, I've just read through all your information on your other threads regarding 1675 dials. with that and what you've said, the dial on the watch Im looking at is a Mark VI dial, but not a service dial? But obviously when its been serviced in the late 70's or early 80s its been changed to a Mark VI dial and had the bracelet also changed.

Can you clarify and confirm the Mark VI and service dials are both different? going back to your 1675 dials thread mine looks like the W5 not the service dial?
Old 16 March 2019, 02:13 PM   #7
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozwatchguy View Post
Hi Springer, I've just read through all your information on your other threads regarding 1675 dials. with that and what you've said, the dial on the watch Im looking at is a Mark VI dial, but not a service dial? But obviously when its been serviced in the late 70's or early 80s its been changed to a Mark VI dial and had the bracelet also changed.

Can you clarify and confirm the Mark VI and service dials are both different? going back to your 1675 dials thread mine looks like the W5 not the service dial?
Yes, the service dials are different than the Mark VI dials.

But, Rolex used the later dials, the Mark V and VI, as service replacement dials until they went to what we now refer to as the service dials.

While your Mark VI is a regular, late 1970s GMT dial, it isn't original for your watch.

Your dial IS NOT a Mark V dial. The coronet on a Mark V dial is much shorter and not as elongated as the Mark VI dial.

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2019, 02:35 PM   #8
ozwatchguy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Yes, the service dials are different than the Mark VI dials.

But, Rolex used the later dials, the Mark V and VI, as service replacement dials until they went to what we now refer to as the service dials.

While your Mark VI is a regular, late 1970s GMT dial, it isn't original for your watch.

Your dial IS NOT a Mark V dial. The coronet on a Mark V dial is much shorter and not as elongated as the Mark VI dial.
Thanks for confirming that springer and thanks for all your informative threads that really explain it, can be quite confusing at the start but after reading through your 1675 dials thread and how they changed dials every few years I can see that the one I’m looking at isn’t the original mark 1 dial. Sorry to keep picking your brain but does the case look in okay shape? Not over polished or anything like that? Just trying to put the pieces to the puzzle as the guy is an older gentlemen and it seems the watch has been serviced twice in its life