The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 1 March 2019, 01:02 PM   #1
ravenhome777
"TRF" Member

Radium paint

So, is it true that any Rolex made before 1964 has radium paint?

There's a watch I was considering purchasing, but it's from 1962. I really like it, but I just can't get behind a watch with radium paint. I know... lick the dial and all that, but it leaves me with an unsettling feeling. I really want to aim for a tritium paint dial.
ravenhome777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2019, 01:05 PM   #2
Juhuatai
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5508 & 9401
What type of watch is it? Does it say SWISS on the bottom of the dial? If so, it's likely that it has some radium.
Juhuatai is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2019, 01:26 PM   #3
Hub6152
Banned

Around ‘59-60 was my impression of when Radium ceased to be used.
Hub6152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2019, 01:54 PM   #4
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

If it still has the original dial, it's likely radium from 1962. However, many watches have service replacement dial, so it would be useful to post a photo.
Old 1 March 2019, 06:02 PM   #5
lupus66
"TRF" Member

Geiger it. 62 probly allready trit.
lupus66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2019, 10:23 PM   #6
ravenhome777
"TRF" Member

It's a Tudor 7928. Actually, I think it says "T Swiss T". I'd imagine that would be an indicator for Tritium. I saw a 1961 version and this just said "SWISS" on the dial. They must have made the switch between 61 and 62.
ravenhome777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2019, 10:44 PM   #7
waspy1
Banned

T Swiss T is an indicator of tritium, yes. Radium doesn’t bother me in the slightest unless on some of the super ‘hot’ models from the 50s. Rolex pieces are never that hot so I wouldn’t worry about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
waspy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2019, 11:56 PM   #8
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenhome777 View Post
It's a Tudor 7928. Actually, I think it says "T Swiss T". I'd imagine that would be an indicator for Tritium. I saw a 1961 version and this just said "SWISS" on the dial. They must have made the switch between 61 and 62.
I still think you should show a photo. There are various possible sources of error here, for example the watch may be from 1963 instead of 1962, since dating Tudors is not an exact science. But if it's truly from 62 with a T SWISS T dial, it may well be a service dial. That's a bigger issue for me than whether there is a little radium on the dial.
Old 2 March 2019, 12:14 AM   #9
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Many owners back in that timeframe took Rolex’s public statements about ceasing Radium dial production seriously. They often had them changed to Tritium at the next service.

So it wouldn’t be unusual for watches to have a T dial from the era you’re looking at.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2019, 02:38 AM   #10
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenhome777 View Post
. . .
There's a watch I was considering purchasing, but it's from 1962. I really like it, but I just can't get behind a watch with radium paint. I know... lick the dial and all that, but it leaves me with an unsettling feeling. I really want to aim for a tritium paint dial.
Your fears are unfounded.
Old 13 March 2019, 05:17 AM   #11
scohen60
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by waspy1 View Post
T Swiss T is an indicator of tritium, yes. Radium doesn’t bother me in the slightest unless on some of the super ‘hot’ models from the 50s. Rolex pieces are never that hot so I wouldn’t worry about it.

May I ask what "super 'hot' models" refers to specifically? Thank you!
scohen60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2019, 07:04 AM   #12
Juhuatai
2024 Pledge Member

Models with a lot of radium on the dial.
Old 13 March 2019, 07:48 AM   #13
scohen60
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juhuatai View Post
Models with a lot of radium on the dial.
Thank you. Which models are considered to have the most radium on their dials?
Old 13 March 2019, 07:58 AM   #14
roh123
"TRF" Member

Watch: Gilt Rolex
Certain years are normally hotter. I’d say until around 56-57 for Rolex sports. Especially hot is the 6542 as it has a plastic bezel filled with bad things. But you will also have high readings for big and small crowns, Explorers etc in various references. It was just a time when no one understood how dangerous radiation is.

In general most watches are fine to wear daily. Just a few exceptions I would wear less.
Old 13 March 2019, 09:22 AM   #15
scohen60
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roh123 View Post
Certain years are normally hotter. I’d say until around 56-57 for Rolex sports. Especially hot is the 6542 as it has a plastic bezel filled with bad things. But you will also have high readings for big and small crowns, Explorers etc in various references. It was just a time when no one understood how dangerous radiation is.

In general most watches are fine to wear daily. Just a few exceptions I would wear less.
Thank you. So a 1956 6610 would be considered high on the 'hotter' list then?

To be honest, I've read all the threads, the Passion Report, and so on, and I just cannot get a good handle on this era of Explorers in particular. They seem to be desirable with all original parts including the 'hot' dials, so I'm confused. Is it just not a daily watch if it's got radium dial or is it that some folks just don't want to take the added risk? And if there is any risk at all, why hasn't Rolex recalled these dials? I know, I know, it's been talked about plenty, but for those like me who are still confused, any guidance/thoughts? Thank you in advance!
Old 13 March 2019, 10:41 AM   #16
Juhuatai
2024 Pledge Member

I was discussing potential radiation concerns from radium watches with my chief radiation officer at the University I work at and yes, I'd say certain watches most definitely are not suitable for daily wear. Easiest thing would be to buy a geiger counter off amazon and take a reading. I previously owned a 1960 explorer with radium but the amount used was so little that there was virtually no radiation from the watch (0.04 uSv/hr equivalent to background). Earlier models from the 50's are definitely hotter.

Radium decay emits alpha and gamma radiation. Alpha is blocked by the crystal and case, gamma is not. However, the emission rates depend on the amount of radium used. Earlier models used a lot more radium than later models. I've never handled anything other than the 1016 so I cannot vouch for radiation levels of earlier models.

In terms of risk, imagine a watch is emitting 0.5 uSv/hr (relatively low). Then in a day (8 hours) you're getting about 4 uSv, and in a year (365 days) you're getting 1460 uSv or 1.46 mSv. A CT is ~6 msV. It's definitely not an insignificant amount of exposure but it is also not a significant amount of exposure. i.e. you're better off not wearing it but wearing it will probably not give you cancer, emphasis on probably. Easiest thing is to just measure the radiation and calculate your exposure.

Rolex in fact did recall the bakelite bezels due to the amount of radiation that they emitted. The dials itself probably did not emit enough to warrant a concern.
Old 13 March 2019, 11:00 AM   #17
scohen60
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juhuatai View Post
I was discussing potential radiation concerns from radium watches with my chief radiation officer at the University I work at and yes, I'd say certain watches most definitely are not suitable for daily wear. Easiest thing would be to buy a geiger counter off amazon and take a reading. I previously owned a 1960 explorer with radium but the amount used was so little that there was virtually no radiation from the watch (0.04 uSv/hr equivalent to background). Earlier models from the 50's are definitely hotter.

Radium decay emits alpha and gamma radiation. Alpha is blocked by the crystal and case, gamma is not. However, the emission rates depend on the amount of radium used. Earlier models used a lot more radium than later models. I've never handled anything other than the 1016 so I cannot vouch for radiation levels of earlier models.

In terms of risk, imagine a watch is emitting 0.5 uSv/hr (relatively low). Then in a day (8 hours) you're getting about 4 uSv, and in a year (365 days) you're getting 1460 uSv or 1.46 mSv. A CT is ~6 msV. It's definitely not an insignificant amount of exposure but it is also not a significant amount of exposure. i.e. you're better off not wearing it but wearing it will probably not give you cancer, emphasis on probably. Easiest thing is to just measure the radiation and calculate your exposure.

Rolex in fact did recall the bakelite bezels due to the amount of radiation that they emitted. The dials itself probably did not emit enough to warrant a concern.
Thank you for that detailed reply.
Old 13 March 2019, 12:25 PM   #18
Crown & Shield
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scohen60 View Post
Thank you for that detailed reply.
Ditto
Crown & Shield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 March 2019, 12:51 AM   #19
Racer X
"TRF" Member

Maybe the gamma radiation will give you superpowers like David Banner?
Racer X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2019, 08:20 AM   #20
Jakku
"TRF" Member

While we're on the topic, what do we think of replacing worn radium lumes on vintage pieces?

Picked up a 1940s Rolex and one hand has gone through. Not sure the best option, relume, new hands etc? If the lack of radium kills me slightly less quickly too then that's a bonus surely?

I'd post a pic but new member and gotta wait till I've posted 10 things :P
Jakku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2019, 08:52 AM   #21
wfc3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer X View Post
Maybe the gamma radiation will give you superpowers like David Banner?

Then does it become a Hulk?

wfc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2019, 12:16 PM   #22
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakku View Post
While we're on the topic, what do we think of replacing worn radium lumes on vintage pieces?

Unless you do it yourself, the lume won’t be replaced. Instead new hands would be installed.

As for replacing radium, I think that’s fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is online now   Reply With Quote