The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex WatchTech

Old 23 February 2010, 11:05 PM   #1
bapepsi
"TRF" Member

116710LN Date Change

i have had this watch for about a month, but just recently noticed that the date does not change at midnight, instead, it changes at around 2:00am. is this normal? from around midnight till 2:00am the date is stuck inbetween the two dates.. slightly showing the upcoming date. I purchased this watch new at a authorized dealer, please advise.

Cheers
bapepsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2010, 11:43 PM   #2
sheldonsmith
2024 Pledge Member

Yes, the date should pop around midnight. Apparently the hour hand (and potentially the 24 hour hand) is not correct. Potentially, the date mechanism is not catching correctly.

If there is an RSC nearby, go there. If under warranty, a simple fix for a Rolex trained watchmaker...

-Sheldon
Old 24 February 2010, 02:00 AM   #3
NorthernPike
"TRF" Member

Watch: LV, 1949 Everest
I watched mine pop this morning, at about 8 seconds after midnight.
NorthernPike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2010, 04:28 AM   #4
watchmaker
TechXpert

I have encountered this problem more than once, and even on my own 116710. The hands are on correctly, so this is not the issue. I believe your problem is a "slight" over-oiling which has caused a smear, and then a drag which is preventing the date disc from flicking over instantaneously. This isn't a major issue and can be fixed by a watchmaker, however the problem generally sorts itself out the more time goes by. Try the quick set position an just flick the date over a few times round the entire wheel (1-31) that might help it out.
watchmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2010, 10:15 PM   #5
bapepsi
"TRF" Member

thanks for the helpguys ! i have rotated the wheel an entire round and the date sometimes flicks correctly, i will observe the date change a few more nights to see whether the problem has gone away or not.
bapepsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2010, 03:47 AM   #6
chalk
"TRF" Member

i had the same problem with my v series explorer ll, so i assume it is equipped with a 3186 movement. It seems that this date change problem is quite common with the 3186.

Anyway, for my case, instead of flicking completely to the new date at 12, it flicks to a 'half turned' and will change completely at 2am.

On two occasions, when it was at its 'half turned' state, i noticed it flicks completely after five minutes, i am not sure if it was because i was moving my hands quite a lot during that time or it just changed by itself.

On the other occasion, it flicks to the new date after giving it a few firm taps.

I am hoping that this is a sign of the problem going away by itself. I am monitoring the situation as well. I much rather not go through the trouble of sending the watch to RSC if the problem will go away in time.
chalk is offline   Reply With Quote