The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Miscellaneous Forums > Announcements/feedback & support

Old 10 September 2008, 09:11 AM   #1
Atlanta
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126619LB & 114270
15-day wait limit to sell... is that long enough?

Just curious others thoughts on making the wait longer before you can sell?

There are so many long-term members here and 15 days is a short time to have to wait to sell.

I know we self-police - I would still be nervous about a purchase from a brand new member.
Old 10 September 2008, 09:17 AM   #2
mailman
TRF Moderator & DATE-JUST41 2024 Patron

Watch: 126610LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta View Post
Just curious others thoughts on making the wait longer before you can sell?

There are so many long-term members here and 15 days is a short time to have to wait to sell.

I know we self-police - I would still be nervous about a purchase from a brand new member.
Let the buyer beware. Do your homework, and use only a wire transfer to receive a payment. It can't be reversed.
Old 10 September 2008, 09:47 AM   #3
ntesta05

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailman View Post
Let the buyer beware. Do your homework, and use only a wire transfer to receive a payment. It can't be reversed.
so wire transfer is the rule of thumb? Why can't a seller accept a check? Just wait for it to clear, after that it can't be reversed....or are there little loopholes that allow someone to reverse a check? I thought the worse thing would be that it bounces.
ntesta05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2008, 02:30 PM   #4
Art161
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sundial
Quote:
Originally Posted by mailman View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntesta05 View Post
so wire transfer is the rule of thumb? Why can't a seller accept a check? Just wait for it to clear, after that it can't be reversed....or are there little loopholes that allow someone to reverse a check? I thought the worse thing would be that it bounces.
The mailman always delivers. What if the check "clears" but the person whose account it is had his/her checks stolen and it is a forged check? And the account holder is not the person who received the watch? Do you think his/her bank is going to make restitution to the account holder and not go after you?
Member #13992 HM Power to the Superlative Panda, officially certified! HMPanda eats, shoots and leaves.
Rolexers do it with perpetual movements.
Art161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2008, 08:59 PM   #5
bigterpsfan

How long do propose; 30....45....180 days? I am a new member and am honest now and always will be. I don't think a waiting period accomplishes anything at all. I think you need to authentify every purchase with an AD before the purchase to be safe or at least until you have buying history with a particular member. Just my $.02.
bigterpsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2008, 10:19 PM   #6
toph
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, Brellum,
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigterpsfan View Post
How long do propose; 30....45....180 days? I am a new member and am honest now and always will be. I don't think a waiting period accomplishes anything at all. I think you need to authentify every purchase with an AD before the purchase to be safe or at least until you have buying history with a particular member. Just my $.02.
I totally agree a scammer is always a scammer and an honest man is always honest, regardless of how many days he has to think about it. But it does stop a scammer joining and listing for sale straight away, which will be a deterrent

"Where no counsel is the people fall, but in the multitude of counselors there is safety."

Member No.# 11795
toph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2008, 12:13 AM   #7
astcell
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116713
One of my photo boards let you have a 30-day sales window for $7.50. Their logic is that a criminal really does not want to give out paypal or other personal information if they are about to pull a scam.
Old 17 November 2008, 05:36 PM   #8
Lol-x
Facilitator

The 15 day period if just one mechanism to ease the moderation load in regards to spammers and other undesirables seeking to use the forum.

The 15 day rule does not provide any level of security at all or comfort to potential buyers or sellers that they are going to get their goods or get paid, respectively.

Buyers and sellers must themselves take whatever precautions they deem necessary to safely and securely effect any transaction.

The matter is one of balance, and 15 days and 15 posts has worked as a reasonable balance in the interests of all on the forum.

The forum accepts no responsibility for any transaction that may arise from any post or thread occurring on this web-site.

Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be. ~Abraham Lincoln
Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride. ~John F. Kennedy

ROLEXploitation - yeah I'm a victim
Lol-x is offline   Reply With Quote