The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 11 January 2018, 12:46 AM   #1
c0de
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270
Talk me into, or out of, the 214270

I am very privileged to finally be able to afford a watch from one of my all time favorite brands, Rolex.

I have looked long and hard about which one to get, and it's so hard to pick because I really want them all :) but budgets are budgets and I narrowed it down to:
  • SubC 114060
  • Explorer I 214270
  • Milgauss 116400GV

After a few trips to various ADs, I narrowed it down to the 214270 (lumed dial).

I thought the SubC (Sub in general) was too "common". And the Milgauss a scratch magnet (especially that bracelet) and sat a little tall.

I am attracted to the history of the Explorer I, the simplicity, and the way it can cover both dress and sport duty (this will be my ONE watch).

What am I forgetting, what am I overlooking, what should I be aware of before pricing and putting an order on the Explorer I?

Some info about me:
I have about a 6.75" flat wrist. And I like watches to take most of said wrist, but not overhang.
I dress in dress shirts weekdays, polos and tshirts on the weekends.
My watch history has leaned more towards divers, with the following:
  • Tissot Visodate
  • Bernhardt Sea Shark
  • Seiko SKX009
  • Steinhart OVM
  • Tag Aquaracer
  • Omega Seamaster 2264.80 Flipped immediately
  • Sinn 556i which I thought was too small
  • Sinn 104i
  • Seiko SARX035
  • Tudor BB Burgundy ETA - Slightly large and tall for every day, but doable. Sold to finance my Rolex

Any input would be helpful, trying to do the best I can for a watch that will be my last..

Thank you..
c0de is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2018, 12:51 AM   #2
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Sounds ideal for you.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2018, 12:53 AM   #3
rmlovett1
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: YTBD
Explorer is a great choice no matter what!
I’d only ask .....if you’ve preferred divers in the past, would the Sub suit you more? Your attire says either one is a great choice! SS bezel vs ceramic? And would you be looking for the date if you didn’t have it?
Just food for thought...no wrong choice!
rmlovett1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2018, 12:53 AM   #4
mailman
TRF Moderator & DATE-JUST41 2024 Patron

Watch: 126610LN
The 214270 is a great go anywhere do anything watch. Not as common as a Submariner and it has a great history of its own. It’s a cant miss
Old 11 January 2018, 12:58 AM   #5
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
I'll be honest, I had an Explorer earlier this year. I had wanted one forever, and when the new tweaks to the dial and hands happened in 2016, that was all I needed.

But...I just never really bonded with it. And I would never pick it over a sub. YMMV.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2018, 01:02 AM   #6
c0de
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchwatcher View Post
I'll be honest, I had an Explorer earlier this year. I had wanted one forever, and when the new tweaks to the dial and hands happened in 2016, that was all I needed.

But...I just never really bonded with it. And I would never pick it over a sub. YMMV.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richris1 View Post
I’d only ask .....if you’ve preferred divers in the past, would the Sub suit you more? Your attire says either one is a great choice! SS bezel vs ceramic? And would you be looking for the date if you didn’t have it?
You two embody my fears.. I truly want the Explorer more in every occasion I try both on.. but there's a part of me that keeps saying, "what about the Sub? Will you miss it in a month when the honeymoon is over?".

And Richris1, no I wouldn't miss the date. I actually prefer no date.
Old 11 January 2018, 01:11 AM   #7
c0de
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richris1 View Post
Quote:

This is what embody my fears.. Every time I go to the AD, I gravitate more towards the Explorer I. But part of me says: "What if after a month, when the honeymoon is over, you want the Sub?!".
Old 11 January 2018, 01:30 AM   #8
freesole
"TRF" Member

I am currently contemplating an Explorer 214270 and a Datejust 126334. The Explorer wears very nice and is very comfortable. I agree that it would be a near perfect ONE watch. It also seems to be bracelet champ as well so you can always change up the look. It is understated in that most people wouldn't even know it was a Rolex but it is robust, carries deep history and is so versatile. Needless to say, I am still actively considering it.

I have a SubC Date and wear that often. I don't care that it is common to be honest. It is a beautiful watch that is just as much of an icon imo. Tough choice but there is no wrong decision here.
freesole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2018, 01:33 AM   #9
cop414
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: 14060M
Quote:
Originally Posted by c0de View Post
This is what embody my fears.. Every time I go to the AD, I gravitate more towards the Explorer I. But part of me says: "What if after a month, when the honeymoon is over, you want the Sub?!".
You’re talking to a group of enablers here, get either one and then you’ll have the other for your “next” list. I have the Submariner and the Explorer will be my next. You really can’t go wrong with either.

Rolex Submariner 14060M
Omega Seamaster 2254.50
DOXA Professional 1200T

Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
TRF's "After Dark" Bar & NightClub Patron
P Club Member #17
2 FA ENABLED
cop414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2018, 01:41 AM   #10
ajas
"TRF" Member

Watch: SubC, Pam, Speede
Tough choice but you will never be able to cut the rope and rescue princess with explorer on your wrist.

With this one strapped on everything is possible

Sent from my SM-N935F using Tapatalk
ajas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2018, 01:44 AM   #11
Dr.LJ
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex & Breitling
Quote:
Only way to know is to buy the Explorer I and see . Chances are once you have a Rolex, you can not wait to have the next one!
Dr.LJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2018, 01:51 AM   #12
TudorBeast
Banned

Watch: 114060
I have originally purchased a full lume 214270 Explorer straight from the AD. At the time, this Rolex checked all the boxes for me (similar to all your listed reasonings). About 6 months later I had the opportunity to purchase a new 114060 for a very good price.

Fast forwards a few months later, I always find myself picking up the 114060. Once in a while I will put on the Explorer... every time I wear it I ask myself if this watch really justify it's price? It simply can not compare to a Sub-C in terms of wrist presence. But if a "low-key" Rolex is what you're looking for the Explorer is a solid choice.
TudorBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2018, 01:51 AM   #13
para38super
"TRF" Member

I had a similar debate and as you have always lean towards Diver watches. So I actually went for a Submariner Date 16610 and I love it! I was leaning towards a no date sub c instead of the Explorer. But once I saw the cyclops, I had to have one with a cyclops. The explorer is a very nice watch though.
para38super is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2018, 01:53 AM   #14
c0de
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cop414 View Post
You’re talking to a group of enablers here, get either one and then you’ll have the other for your “next” list. I have the Submariner and the Explorer will be my next. You really can’t go wrong with either.
YOU ARE NOT HELPING
Old 11 January 2018, 02:01 AM   #15
freesole
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TudorBeast View Post
I have originally purchased a full lume 214270 Explorer straight from the AD. At the time, this Rolex checked all the boxes for me (similar to all your listed reasonings). About 6 months later I had the opportunity to purchase a new 114060 for a very good price.

Fast forwards a few months later, I always find myself picking up the 114060. Once in a while I will put on the Explorer... every time I wear it I ask myself if this watch really justify it's price? It simply can not compare to a Sub-C in terms of wrist presence. But if a "low-key" Rolex is what you're looking for the Explorer is a solid choice.
Good point here. Wrist presence is not a strength of the Explorer. A Sub would have more of that. You get an Explorer if you want something more low key and versatile.
freesole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2018, 02:05 AM   #16
Peter99
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LN & 214270
I have the SubC black with date and the Explorer 39mm Mk1.
Exp39mm: I wear in the gym, hiking and on the hills. Tux and dress up days.
SubC. : I wear about the home, parties, in the cafe, restaurant and when I want to be a bit flash. PS I don’t go diving.
My wrist size: 6.7ins
The Exp 39mm is for sure the more versitle of the two but both are a pleasure to wear!
I believe these two watches are a perfect combination to own.
Peter99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2018, 02:12 AM   #17
cop414

Quote:
YOU ARE NOT HELPING
Wellll, I guess that depends on your definition of help!

Rolex Submariner 14060M
Omega Seamaster 2254.50
DOXA Professional 1200T

P Club Member #17
2 FA ENABLED
Old 11 January 2018, 02:13 AM   #18
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

Me too
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2018, 02:14 AM   #19
Art 1
Banned

Watch: Rol/Seik/Tud/Omega
I got mine because I wanted a simple watch with out a date and easy to read. Also, I didn't want something that was easily recognizable and so common. I don't care if others don't know that its not a Rolex. I've had them all, several times over. But the Explorer is what I like best. Also in Central Fla, it seems Subs are every where. I've only seen an Exp several times.
Art 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2018, 02:17 AM   #20
BlackRose
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer 214270
Do it. I may sell a BB Black ETA in order to do the same deal some day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BlackRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2018, 02:19 AM   #21
rossi46
"TRF" Member

Watch: shopping
I LOVE the way the 2016 Explorer looks in photographs. However, when trying it on at an AD I've come away... a little underwhelmed.

Not to say it isn't a stellar watch, but the pricing is almost a little too close to the 114060 to justify it.

I could see how it is the perfect one-watch, though. You get the history, the subtle looks, the Rolex quality, all in a not-so-showy package.
Old 11 January 2018, 02:22 AM   #22
c0de
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossi46 View Post
You get the history, the subtle looks, the Rolex quality, all in a not-so-showy package.
This is exactly my reasoning..
I'm going over to the AD at lunch, will ask to be left in a room with those two and make my decision..
Old 11 January 2018, 02:23 AM   #23
Ravager135
"TRF" Member

You really selected three excellent references to chose from. I like them all as a first Rolex, though truly the Explorer is the archetype of the Rolex sport watch. Everything else is built off that. If you get the Explorer, you will want the Submariner. If you get the Submariner, you will want the Explorer. I say stick to your guns and get the Explorer. There are far more Submariner variations you can choose from to diversify your collection down the road. The Explorer is simple, classic, understated, versatile, and the less obvious choice which is a good thing. I initially wanted a Yachtmaster when I first started looking at the brand and I got a Submariner Date instead. While I don't regret it, I should have stuck with my gut.

You really can't make a mistake, but if you are asking me honestly, go with the Explorer first.
Ravager135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2018, 02:23 AM   #24
celticjohn
"TRF" Member

I had a similar choice to make late in 2017,

I had it narrowed down to the one of the below possibilities. Wrist size 7"

OP 36 116000
OP 39 114400
Datejust 36
Datejust II
Milgauss
GMT II 116710LN
Explorer

36mm was a little lost on my wrist, the OP 39mm was a better fit but the hands were too thin for me to make out the time at a glance.
I really had to study the watch to get the time. This defeated the purposed for me. Datejust II, the Cyclops didn't really grab me either, it was screaming "Rolex" similar effect with the GMT II
Tried the Milgauss, didn't grab my heart strings either.

The explorer 214270, now this was love at first sight.
Under the radar...it so far under the radar it's clipping the tree tops.
Easy to read at a glance with the wider hands than the Oyster Perpetual 36 & 39
No polished centre links so I won't be upset at possibility of the slightest scratch.
I really thought I could have done with a date but I've since overcome that hiccup.
If today is the 10th, the day after is the 11th, and the day after that is the 12th....simple
I don't miss the date at all now.

Currently the explorer is running at +15 secs every week since I got it.
I wear it constantly, even in bed.
My thoughts were if I'm paying this sort of money for a watch I'm going to wear it.

Thoroughly content with my choice.
When I glance down at it, it still makes me smile.
celticjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2018, 02:24 AM   #25
cop414

Explorer club thread-

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthre...=Explorer+club

Seven years worth of pics and comments.

Rolex Submariner 14060M
Omega Seamaster 2254.50
DOXA Professional 1200T

P Club Member #17
2 FA ENABLED
Old 11 January 2018, 02:28 AM   #26
c0de
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cop414 View Post
Explorer club thread-

Seven years worth of pics and comments.
Thank you!!!

Thank you all!
Old 11 January 2018, 02:29 AM   #27
cop414

And the Submariner club thread-

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthre...ubmariner+club

All 107 pages.

Rolex Submariner 14060M
Omega Seamaster 2254.50
DOXA Professional 1200T

P Club Member #17
2 FA ENABLED
Old 11 January 2018, 03:14 AM   #28
AEC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Idiot Savant
First, I'll say that your reasoning for selecting the Explorer over the other candidates is solid. I recently bought an Explorer, and I dig it for exactly the reasons you expect you will, too.

It seems the final matter to settle is an issue of risk management. While you are sure to love your Explorer, there is a risk that in the future you may feel the Sub would have been your preference, and trading the Explorer for the Sub would add cost when compared to simply buying the Sub now. Estimating the value of that risk is pretty straight forward, and there are steps you can take to mitigate it (such as negotiating a discount on a new Explorer or buying a pre-owned Explorer, and planning to look for a pre-owned Sub in the event you do make a change later). Run the numbers to estimate the value of the risk, and if you can get comfortable with the cost of changing your mind later then go get your new Explorer and start enjoying it!
AEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2018, 03:27 AM   #29
dr35mm
"TRF" Member

Watch: BB58
Explorer is a great watch, I mean fantastic watch and you'll have no regrets with it, but to my eyes, Submariner is watch perfection, it does everything right, the big difference with the explorer is the clasp and the bezel which is quite useful, at least in terms of functionality for us non divers.

Present: BB58 | BB36 | GMW-B5000D-1JF | 6900-PT80

Past: 16610LN | 16622 | 116610LN | 214270
dr35mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2018, 03:30 AM   #30
dafuture
"TRF" Member

You're not forgetting anything. It's truly a great all-arounder, and one that I personally own and will never sell. I highly recommend it, you'll fall in love immediately.