The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 20 April 2018, 03:37 AM   #31
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
Quote:
Originally Posted by zjd168 View Post
Black sub looks boring too but at least its size is right. I will wait and see how the new sub will look like and decide
Not understanding how the SD43 got the size wrong? To me the SD4K is the one that got the size wrong, which is why it was always such a slow seller. They made the watch thicker and heavier to account for the increased dive rating, but then kept it at the same diameter and bracelet as a Sub. Essentially it was/is a fat Sub.

If you are going to increase the depth and weight, it makes perfect sense to me to also increase the diameter of the watch and the width of the bracelet. If I want a Sub, I'll get a Sub. The Sea Dweller is supposed to be something bigger and badder, in my mind anyway.

I know the size doesn't work for everyone, but not sure I would call it wrong either.
samson66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2018, 03:56 AM   #32
TeddyS
"TRF" Member

Watch: sea-dweller 126600
Some really good points made here, and a great response, thanks guys. I agree that the SD43 is perfect, at least for me. As pointed out earlier though I to am really interested to see the new DSSD with wider bracelet. It’s the one thing about my James Cameron that I would change. On another thread someone mentions a Daytona ii which would probably be 42mm. That’s would tickle my fancy as well, but that will almost certainly never happen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TeddyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2018, 03:57 AM   #33
TeddyS
"TRF" Member

Watch: sea-dweller 126600
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccaballero View Post
Something to keep in mind about the SD43 is that it will likely have a short run similar to 16610LV and will be highly collectible in the future IMHO.

Absolutely, I believe it will be a 2 year run maximum3 years then they will drop the red detailing making our watches a valuable addition worth keeping hold of

TeddyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2018, 04:04 AM   #34
007_Omega
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer
Quote:
Originally Posted by samson66 View Post
Not understanding how the SD43 got the size wrong? To me the SD4K is the one that got the size wrong, which is why it was always such a slow seller. They made the watch thicker and heavier to account for the increased dive rating, but then kept it at the same diameter and bracelet as a Sub. Essentially it was/is a fat Sub.

If you are going to increase the depth and weight, it makes perfect sense to me to also increase the diameter of the watch and the width of the bracelet. If I want a Sub, I'll get a Sub. The Sea Dweller is supposed to be something bigger and badder, in my mind anyway.

I know the size doesn't work for everyone, but not sure I would call it wrong either.
This but I'll defend the SD4K by pointing out that it has tapered lugs which I like much more than the 6 digit Sub.

That being said, the SD43 kills it. Why would i want essentially the same watch that just happens to be thicker? All that really does is make the watch less versatile and top heavy. The increased depth rating is cool but useless for me and pretty much everyone else on the planet even if they are hardcore divers.

The SD43 does more to separate it from the Sub and even then there are plenty of people who say it is too similar. If our watch is too similar, what does that say about the SD4K? It didn't sell for a reason.
007_Omega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2018, 04:10 AM   #35
zjd168
"TRF" Member

Quote:

To clarify I meant for me to wear as a daily watch, the size of 40 is right. sd43 is too big and thick. So to me the size is wrong :-)

Obviously a lot of fans here will prefer the 43 to the sub's 40.
zjd168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2018, 04:20 AM   #36
007_Omega
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer
Quote:
To clarify I meant for me to wear as a daily watch, the size of 40 is right. sd43 is too big and thick. So to me the size is wrong :-)

I'll give you this. I was playing with my buddies Sub the other day and the difference in weight stood out.

The proportions make this watch wear well and you get used to the weight over time but if you go back to smaller watch it reminds you of just how heavy the SD43 actually is.

I enjoy it though. I really like the feeling of heft on my wrist.
007_Omega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2018, 04:21 AM   #37
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

OK, understood. Right and Wrong as far as fit is definitely a subjective opinion. I posted on other threads that I feel like 7" is the cutoff for wrist size from what I have seen and far as proportional fit. However, many folks with smaller wrists simply prefer bigger watches and are also very happy with it.

I have ~7.5" wrists so for me the Subs/GMT's wear smaller than I like, which is how I ended up trading my GMT +cash for the SD43. Glad Rolex has options in many different size ranges now. Something for everyone I suppose
Old 20 April 2018, 05:10 AM   #38
MCOSUB
"TRF" Member

Watch: A Few
When I wear my Hulk or JC, I always get comments/questions about those watches and they seem to draw lots of attention.

My black sub garners no such attention. I would imagine that the small red script on the face and slightly larger body will also not attract those who are not in the know on this watch.

Not saying it is not a great watch as I have ordered one for myself but it is not a real show stopper if you know what I mean? I think there are other sport models that stick out more in the crowd. Maybe many that really like the SD43 enjoy that it doesnt stick out.
Rolex Deep Blue Deep Sea Dweller 116660
Oris Great Barrier Reef #845/1000
MCOSUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2018, 05:14 AM   #39
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
To me the SD4K is the one that got the size wrong, which is why it was always such a slow seller. They made the watch thicker and heavier to account for the increased dive rating, but then kept it at the same diameter and bracelet as a Sub. Essentially it was/is a fat Sub.
True, but thickness has been similar for 50+ years. It's been the same general dimensions since the 1665 if you count crystal height. If going by case height and weight combined, the 16660/16600 and 116600 dimensions are nearly identical save for the lug lengths/widths. The SD4K didn't really change that aspect. It was simply a modern 16600 with a matte dial throwback to the 1665/16660.

The SD has always been a slow seller since release. The SD4K was the first SD made during an era where the majority of divers stopped buying mechanical watches for dive timing. The few who do aren't spending $10,400 on a dive watch. So, it had an uphill battle since day one.
037 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2018, 05:27 AM   #40
James444
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex n Tudor
No way. I got a small wrist but my sd50 will stay in my collection
James444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2018, 05:35 AM   #41
crazycarlitos
"TRF" Member

Love mine. And can’t seem to give wrist-time to my other watches.

No, I don’t think there is a watch in current Rolex SS sport line-up that I would trade my SD43 for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by westsiderkg View Post
Personally I would (and did) trade it. It's all hype imho. yes there are some nice upgrades but the other models will catchup in time.
what hype?

And just because it didn’t work out for u, it’s all “hype”? Lol

U should buy a watch because u like it... not because of “hype”

I thought that would be obvious lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeddyS View Post
Absolutely, I believe it will be a 2 year run maximum3 years then they will drop the red detailing making our watches a valuable addition worth keeping hold of

Love my SD43 but I doubt that will happen.

Rolex had long runs with their anniversary editions in past..
I m thinking 8-10 year run for the current SD43.
And I can’t see them taking out the red letters until new reference come out to replace the 126600

However, I do think Rolex will start adding the little crown @ bottom to reflect the new movement, once the current dial supply runs out.
That might mean the mk1 dial will be more valuable.

I just buy/wear my watches for my personal satisfaction.. and don’t care about hype nor speculation.
Old 20 April 2018, 05:42 AM   #42
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 037 View Post
True, but thickness has been similar for 50+ years. It's been the same general dimensions since the 1665 if you count crystal height. If going by case height and weight combined, the 16660/16600 and 116600 dimensions are nearly identical save for the lug lengths/widths. The SD4K didn't really change that aspect. It was simply a modern 16600 with a matte dial throwback to the 1665/16660.

The SD has always been a slow seller since release. The SD4K was the first SD made during an era where the majority of divers stopped buying mechanical watches for dive timing. The few who do aren't spending $10,400 on a dive watch. So, it had an uphill battle since day one.
Good points. Seems like with the SD4K Rolex got it "right" in terms of sticking with history, but maybe got it "wrong" in terms of consumer interest. The new version is certainly a departure in terms of diameter and the cyclops, but the interest in this watch is through the roof. So financially speaking they knocked it out of the part with the SD43
Old 20 April 2018, 05:45 AM   #43
Bruins7
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex(4),15400
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCOSUB View Post
Pretty strong words...........cant say I agree.
I'd say it's the best all around rolex diver made today. Great proportions, beautiful blend of vintage and modern via the matte dial and red lettering. As you said you prefer your sub, I much prefer the SD43 by a long shot.
Bruins7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2018, 05:50 AM   #44
Bruins7
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by westsiderkg View Post
Personally I would (and did) trade it. It's all hype imho. yes there are some nice upgrades but the other models will catchup in time. it's too bulky for most but hey, 2 each their own. 40mm models will always be my cup of tea.
Okay?
Old 20 April 2018, 05:51 AM   #45
tac34vt
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT2-DJ2-SubC-SD43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devildog View Post
Nope. To me it’s perfect.

Yep!
tac34vt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2018, 05:56 AM   #46
Bruins7
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Black sub looks boring too but at least its size is right. I will wait and see how the new sub will look like and decide
haters gon hate
Old 20 April 2018, 06:08 AM   #47
Drogba83
"TRF" Member

I'm still waiting for my SD43 to come in, but I think it's a fantastic watch, and don't think I would swap it out. I would be tempted to swap for a Daytona but that's just crazy talk as well. I'm hoping that it has a short run with the red. We'll see..
Drogba83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2018, 06:28 AM   #48
Generation
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ36 & BB58
Quote:
If next year there will be a new sub then the sd43 will drop further in my list
Is there supposed to be a new Sub next year?

The previous Sub lasted 23 years. The current one is just eight years old. Why would Rolex make the current model last significantly less long?

The reason I ask is that I am looking to buy my first Rolex (a Hulk) later this year. Is now a bad time to buy?

Additionally, when do people think Rolex will have their next price hike, and how much would this affect the price of an SS Sub?

Sent from my SM-J327V using Tapatalk
Generation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2018, 06:31 AM   #49
Generation
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ36 & BB58
Quote:
If next year there will be a new sub then the sd43 will drop further in my list
Is there supposed to be a new Sub next year?

The previous Sub lasted 23 years. The current one is just eight years old. Why would Rolex make the current model last significantly less long?

The reason I ask is that I am looking to buy my first Rolex (a Hulk) later this year. Is now a bad time to buy?

Additionally, when do people think Rolex will have their next price hike, and how much would this affect the price of an SS Sub?
Generation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2018, 06:39 AM   #50
zjd168
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruins7 View Post
haters gon hate
Where did I say I hate it? I was saying it is low in my shopping list and I will wait to see how the new sub looks to decide.
zjd168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2018, 06:42 AM   #51
phillycheez
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Good points. Seems like with the SD4K Rolex got it "right" in terms of sticking with history, but maybe got it "wrong" in terms of consumer interest. The new version is certainly a departure in terms of diameter and the cyclops, but the interest in this watch is through the roof. So financially speaking they knocked it out of the part with the SD43
Got what wrong? They absolutely killed it with the SD4K for anyone who enjoys the 5 digits and earlier. It was a success for anyone who wanted a throwback to the Golden Era of Rolex divers.

I'm not even sure why SD50 owners like to compare to the SD4K. They have nothing in common anymore other than 4,000 feet. It's a completely different watch for a completely different audience.

Rolex knew they needed to fill the big watch void. So they did with the SD50. They knew there was a market for not only big wrists but the big watch trend. It was a common complaint every year after Basel.. Rolex should make something between the sub and a DSSD. So they made one of the best bigger divers on the market. Pretty smart market to corner. I'm glad you got your perfect watch. So did I.

I would say it's premature to call it a collectable. You got one thing going for it. From a historical perspective, it's the first time Rolex made a watch bigger for the sake of making it bigger. You think they could have at least added a couple thousand feet to it.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
phillycheez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2018, 06:43 AM   #52
phraxos5
"TRF" Member

can't help but think about the red SD43 in 50-60 years kept in mint condition with box and papers. I saw some guy bought two at the same time. I was lucky as hell to get mine.
phraxos5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2018, 06:49 AM   #53
watchmework
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710BLRO, 116600
Nope, the SD43 is perfect for me.
watchmework is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2018, 06:52 AM   #54
phraxos5
"TRF" Member

Quote:
haters gon hate
negativity is good! maybe Rolex will stop production of the sd43. That would be great.
phraxos5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2018, 06:56 AM   #55
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

I don't like a cyclops, so the SD43 doesn't work for me.

Prefer Sub, no date or another model of SD.
Blansky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2018, 07:13 AM   #56
American Jedi
Banned

Watch: Rollie’s and JLC
It is definitely the coolest of the stainless steel sports watch line and possibly the best Rolex thing Rolex has put out in a very long time. They got the portions perfect! No way I'm trading.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
American Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2018, 07:29 AM   #57
crazycarlitos
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillycheez View Post
Got what wrong? They absolutely killed it with the SD4K for anyone who enjoys the 5 digits and earlier. It was a success for anyone who wanted a throwback to the Golden Era of Rolex divers.

I'm not even sure why SD50 owners like to compare to the SD4K. They have nothing in common anymore other than 4,000 feet. It's a completely different watch for a completely different audience.

Rolex knew they needed to fill the big watch void. So they did with the SD50. They knew there was a market for not only big wrists but the big watch trend. It was a common complaint every year after Basel.. Rolex should make something between the sub and a DSSD. So they made one of the best bigger divers on the market. Pretty smart market to corner. I'm glad you got your perfect watch. So did I.
I
I would say it's premature to call it a collectable. You got one thing going for it. From a historical perspective, it's the first time Rolex made a watch bigger for the sake of making it bigger. You think they could have at least added a couple thousand feet to it.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Lol no need to be so defensive of sd4k
It’s a great watch, like so many other Rolex watches.

“Wrong” in terms of consumer interest

I m pretty sure Samson66 was talking about lack of sales# for sd4k.
There is no denying that the watch did not sell well. It’s a fact.
And Rolex did what they had to do in order to increase the sales volume for seadweller, especially as a 50th anniversary model.
They made it slightly bigger (hardly a big watch by today’s trend), threw in the new movement, kept the slim lugs profile with new case and bracelet, and added the red letter as a cherry-on-top.
All good things in my book.

Also, people compare them because they are both seadweller (116600 and 126600).
Old 20 April 2018, 07:30 AM   #58
Bruins7
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Where did I say I hate it? I was saying it is low in my shopping list and I will wait to see how the new sub looks to decide.
You never did say hate. Just a figure of speech :). Doesn't seem like you fancy the SD50 much but to compare and say to the "boring black sub?", poor way to compare two iconic timepieces that are boring to you but to others they are very different watches with lots of rich history and the new rendition of the SD is absolutely spectacular. If you want a show stopper get yourself a YG blue sub
Old 20 April 2018, 07:31 AM   #59
Bruins7
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phraxos5 View Post
negativity is good! maybe Rolex will stop production of the sd43. That would be great.
true!
Old 20 April 2018, 07:35 AM   #60
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
haters gon hate
Indeed

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote