The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 11 May 2018, 01:55 PM   #1
G'ed
"TRF" Member

Ceramic indestructible? See this. Not for faint hearted. Macro pic inside

So I got my ROO 44mm recently but I saw a speck/chunk of white particle on the caseback. AP recommended to stop usage and get it cleared. However opening the case meant they need to follow procedure and do a complete movement maintenance service. No biggies since it’s waived (under warranty). However they record and inspect the whole watch for existing scar (to make sure current condition during hands-in) and noticed the ceramic bezel is dented at one spot.

And here it is, ladies and gentlemen, the million dollar pic of dented ceramic bezel. It’s barely noticeable in real life lol

AP advises to replace the bezel but declined. Cost $2400.
G'ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2018, 02:10 PM   #2
mnl
"TRF" Member

Watch: 15450ST
That sucks! But at least it’s a tiny mark and probably only noticeable when you look for it…
mnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2018, 02:12 PM   #3
G'ed
"TRF" Member

Yea, can’t even see it unless you run your finger over it.
Old 11 May 2018, 02:23 PM   #4
AshAP
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP Royal Oak
Quote:
Originally Posted by G'ed View Post
Yea, can’t even see it unless you run your finger over it.

I had this last year, a tiny scratch on the front of the bezel running across (90 degrees) the brushed surface.

I decided to change it, it cost £2000 which was annoying as the watch was only about 4 months old at the time. This was an expensive way to find out that ceramic isn’t ‘scratch proof’ it’s scratch resistant, a very subtle difference meaning that it isn’t covered under warranty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AshAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2018, 02:31 PM   #5
G'ed
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshAP View Post
I had this last year, a tiny scratch on the front of the bezel running across (90 degrees) the brushed surface.

I decided to change it, it cost £2000 which was annoying as the watch was only about 4 months old at the time. This was an expensive way to find out that ceramic isn’t ‘scratch proof’ it’s scratch resistant, a very subtle difference meaning that it isn’t covered under warranty.

Ouch on that 4 months old watch. I guess it annoyed you so much that you’re willing to part with £2000 to unseen it.

This is a reminder that ceramic is not an all-end solution to bezel damage. Sometimes the steel bezel is still more practical.
Old 11 May 2018, 07:58 PM   #6
jrs146
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me Nae Nae
That stinks. But at least it’s barely noticeable. Might as well wait until it gets dinged up more and then replace.

Old 11 May 2018, 08:13 PM   #7
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Quote:

Nothing is 'scratch proof' Ash, not even a diamond.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2018, 10:44 PM   #8
Rachdanon
"TRF" Member

Ceramic being a brittle and non-ductile material, that may not be a dent but fracture lines which may leade to the chunk falling off in time.
Rachdanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2018, 11:06 PM   #9
AshAP
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by directioneng View Post
Nothing is 'scratch proof' Ash, not even a diamond.

I honestly didn’t realise, I knew ceramic can break if it’s dropped and that was it....expensive lesson!

Old 11 May 2018, 11:46 PM   #10
Cryten
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachdanon View Post
Ceramic being a brittle and non-ductile material, that may not be a dent but fracture lines which may leade to the chunk falling off in time.
I agree. Dent - no, fracture - yes.

Being so close to a screw, the next significant bang it gets might knock that corner off.
Cryten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2018, 12:34 AM   #11
kn_watches
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/PP/Rolex/Pam
This was one reason I got rid of my Ceramic Panerai 335, and decided to go with the Ti44 over the ceramic. I imagine any damage to a ceramic case to be a hefty bill, even if the chances are slim.

IG: @kn_watches
kn_watches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2018, 03:50 AM   #12
DCheeta
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachdanon View Post
That’s exactly what it looks like to me, too. I can live with dents, but fractures...that scares me a little.
DCheeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2018, 06:14 AM   #13
AshAP
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Ouch on that 4 months old watch. I guess it annoyed you so much that you’re willing to part with £2000 to unseen it.

This is a reminder that ceramic is not an all-end solution to bezel damage. Sometimes the steel bezel is still more practical.

Exactly if it happened now that the watch is 18 months old I’d live with it but on a 4 month old watch I was gutted that I’d damaged it so quickly. I’ve worn the watch every day since and no further bezel damage.

Old 12 May 2018, 07:44 AM   #14
PJ S
Banned

Quote:
So I got my ROO 44mm recently but I saw a speck/chunk of white particle on the caseback. AP recommended to stop usage and get it cleared. However opening the case meant they need to follow procedure and do a complete movement maintenance service. No biggies since it’s waived (under warranty). However they record and inspect the whole watch for existing scar (to make sure current condition during hands-in) and noticed the ceramic bezel is dented at one spot.

And here it is, ladies and gentlemen, the million dollar pic of dented ceramic bezel. It’s barely noticeable in real life lol

AP advises to replace the bezel but declined. Cost $2400.
As indicated above, ZrO2 (Zirconium Oxide) is not like a metal, and as such doesn’t deform, it simply cracks.
Do me a favour, run your fingernail over the edge and affected area – does it catch?
It could just be material transfer, and a drop of Brasso on a bit of cotton cloth (not a microfiber) should remove it.
Those lines don’t immediately scream fracture lines to me – ceramic hardly ever displays such signs whilst still remaining part of the rest of the material.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=457445
PJ S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2018, 10:24 AM   #15
G'ed
"TRF" Member

I did run my fingernail over it and there’s no odd edges, just smooth. What we seen here might be aftermath of a crack albeit minor one.

I agree ceramic is brittle and will not dent or compressible.
Old 12 May 2018, 04:39 PM   #16
bayerische
"TRF" Member

Watch: Smurf
Personally I would wait and see if a chuck falls off or not. If not, have it replaced once the watch needs service.

Ceramic has a high resistance to scratches, but can chip rather easily.
Old 12 May 2018, 08:06 PM   #17
PJ S
Banned

Quote:
I did run my fingernail over it and there’s no odd edges, just smooth. What we seen here might be aftermath of a crack albeit minor one.

I agree ceramic is brittle and will not dent or compressible.
As I suspected.
Given the issue is on an edge, like I said previously, ceramic doesn’t tend to remain attached when it’s had sufficient force to fracture it, it simply fails and comes away.
Get yourself some Brasso and see if those marks come off. You’ll need to wash the area afterwards with a drop of washing up liquid to remove the carrier fluids, and rinse thoroughly.
Old 12 May 2018, 08:37 PM   #18
G'ed
"TRF" Member

Definitely will try but only after 2 months as it's with APSC now for free overhaul
Old 12 May 2018, 09:12 PM   #19
PJ S
Banned

^
Ah… well in that case, tell them where they can buy some Brasso, cheaply, then!
But, while it’s there, I’d be highly surprised if they didn’t inspect it and try to clean it up for you – the sort of thing you’d expect from top notch customer service.
Might be worth having a chat in that regard – directly preferably, with one of the watchmakers.
Old 12 May 2018, 09:49 PM   #20
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryten View Post
I agree. Dent - no, fracture - yes.

Being so close to a screw, the next significant bang it gets might knock that corner off.
yep.

Its scratch proof (mostly), but that isnt a scratch
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2018, 11:18 PM   #21
G'ed
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ S View Post
^
Ah… well in that case, tell them where they can buy some Brasso, cheaply, then!
But, while it’s there, I’d be highly surprised if they didn’t inspect it and try to clean it up for you – the sort of thing you’d expect from top notch customer service.
Might be worth having a chat in that regard – directly preferably, with one of the watchmakers.
The macro photo was provided by APSC and come together with optional $2400 bill to replace the bezel. So I guess that's top notch service?
Old 13 May 2018, 01:36 AM   #22
PJ S
Banned

^
Good photo – thought that was taken by yourself.
The fact they’re offering an option on replacing it would be indication enough that it’s perfectly fine, and therefore re-useable for re-assembly.
Old 23 May 2018, 11:04 PM   #23
BawlaDK
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16800 Submariner
Just out of curiosity - If the watch cracks by accident, Im sure your insurance would pick up the bill for it...??? I know mine will??
BawlaDK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2018, 12:11 AM   #24
singe89
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP & Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by BawlaDK View Post
Just out of curiosity - If the watch cracks by accident, Im sure your insurance would pick up the bill for it...??? I know mine will??
it will as long as it covers loss and damage. I know mine does but dont know if its worth putting a claim in for $2,400.
singe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2018, 01:29 AM   #25
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by singe89 View Post
it will as long as it covers loss and damage. I know mine does but dont know if its worth putting a claim in for $2,400.
if its not on a homeowners policy and insured separately, i would make a claim. On homeowners i would probably not.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2018, 01:37 AM   #26
lovetherolex
Banned

Quote:

Any idea how it scratched?
lovetherolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2018, 01:53 AM   #27
AshAP
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetherolex View Post
Any idea how it scratched?

Take your pick, I was wearing it more or less all day for just about all activities; squash, treadmill, swimming, sauna + work etc. I took it off before getting into bed though ;-)

Old 1 June 2018, 10:16 AM   #28
Rachdanon
"TRF" Member

^ those are some activities that involve some vigorous arm movements indeed...can imagine impacting that corner against some hard surface like the tiles of the swimming pool for example..
Rachdanon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ceramic bezel , chip , dent