The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 25 May 2018, 11:30 PM   #1
Zsm
"TRF" Member

Ceramic Daytona vs jlc chrono vs overseas chrono or submariner

Hey guys,

looking for a bit of horological advice and figured I could get some valuable insight here.

I need a little advice on my first luxury watch. I'm in my early 20's and would like to get something to commemorate for graduation before I get into the work force. My dad's longtime AD has a couple of daytonas in stock and while they are undeniably great watches, really loved it, couldn't stop looking at it, really. But still, this is a really big purchase for me , and I have some doubts as to whether or not it's "worth it". I'm kind of torn between that and my other two options.

Any thoughts on which one would be better to start of my watch collections would be greatly helpful. Thanks.
Zsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2018, 11:49 PM   #2
Urosfan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me now
Based upon you age I think the sub would suit your lifestyle better and is a robust great first watch good luck with you decision

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Urosfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2018, 11:54 PM   #3
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zsm View Post
But still, this is a really big purchase for me , and I have some doubts as to whether or not it's "worth it". I'm kind of torn between that and my other two options.

Any thoughts on which one would be better to start of my watch collections would be greatly helpful. Thanks.
You are right, it is a big purchase especially for someone in your position.

Is it worth it? Honestly, no. High priced luxury jewelry rarely is. Is it worth it to you? I have no idea. What I do know is that if your gut is telling you something then maybe you should listen.

Good luck!
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2018, 12:02 AM   #4
WBA_Daytona
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Daytona all the way! Especially the white dial version.

2019 GMT II 126710 BLRO
2019 Daytona 116500 Black Dial
2019 Submariner 116610LV
WBA_Daytona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2018, 12:05 AM   #5
Mitch105
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ41 Fluted/Jub
I’d go sub date classic. Daytona if it’s the one that sings.
Mitch105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2018, 12:25 AM   #6
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

D5, easy
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2018, 12:27 AM   #7
Roger Lococco
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126719BLRO Pepsi
Easy answer. Ceramic Daytona

Roger Lococco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2018, 12:32 AM   #8
T01
"TRF" Member

Daytona
T01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2018, 01:01 AM   #9
asiparks
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the Detectives
surprised if your inbox isn't flooded by people asking the name of this 2 Daytona having AD...

Without knowing anything of your future plans or qualifications I cannot guess whether it's "worth it" or makes any kind of sense for you to spend $13K + on a watch you don't sound sure about...
Of the options you mentioned, the Daytona would be my last choice BTW, it's my least favorite chrono.
Plenty of great chrono's from great brands, Omega, IWC, AP, Blancpain, Breguet...go spend some time trying on stuff, until you find something that really sings to you...Don't buy the Rolex just because it's a Rolex....
asiparks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2018, 01:05 AM   #10
droptopman
"TRF" Member

Watch: SUBS and GMT's!
Submariner is a great first Rolex. Built like a tank and works for just about any activity. Try them on and see how they feel and which one you like the best. While Daytona's are in high demand, personally prefer the Submariner.
Ty: By height.
droptopman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2018, 01:21 AM   #11
RazorD
"TRF" Member

If a SS Daytona is available at MSRP, that’s tough to pass up. Otherwise, Sub.
RazorD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2018, 01:25 AM   #12
Zsm
"TRF" Member

Yes, Razor, the daytona is available at MSRP. But, I'm still not quite sure about it.
Old 26 May 2018, 01:37 AM   #13
Zsm
"TRF" Member

Thanks for all the feedback guys, they're very helpful. I'm trying to find out as a much about my choices as I can before I take the plunge and get one of those.
Old 26 May 2018, 02:24 AM   #14
ROLEXster
"TRF" Member

Watch: is on BS wait list
Pleasssssse ... tell your AD I am your dad's long lost best friend and would like a white Daytona
ROLEXster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2018, 02:31 AM   #15
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Sub from an AD in a reasonable time frame sounds like the best start you can make into this hobby. Plenty of time later on for the misdirection and waiting and frustration on other models, have the joy first!
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2018, 05:06 AM   #16
American Jedi
Banned

Watch: Rollie’s and JLC
I had the same issue. Even started a thread over it about a year ago. In the end I put both models attributes on paper, and the JLC DSC won by a good margin. It really helped that it was legible for me at a glance. In the end you have to go with the watch you will enjoy the most. For me it was the DSC.
American Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2018, 05:10 AM   #17
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Hey guys,

looking for a bit of horological advice and figured I could get some valuable insight here.

I need a little advice on my first luxury watch.
Quote:
Yes, Razor, the daytona is available at MSRP. But, I'm still not quite sure about it.
I think some supply and demand advice is what you really need. Only one watch at retail is worth a ton more money if you sell it in the current market. So the real question is do you want a watch or to make some cash?
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2018, 05:22 AM   #18
richard371
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN White
If you can get the Daytona at retail it’s a no brainer. That watch is going for north of 20k now. I’ve had mine for a year and never get tired of it.
richard371 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2018, 09:48 AM   #19
2nastie
"TRF" Member

Watch: Time Only
Are you making the purchase or is your parents making the purchase for you for your graduation?

If it was your own purchase... I was your age just half (or so) a decade ago but I decided to wait until I went into the full work force and garnered a bit more cash before I made any luxury purchases.

I think you’ll get more satisfaction waiting a bit. Also you don’t know where life takes you in the next few years especially when you are beginning your career.

If it’s your parents, I’ll say pass and appreciate their hospitality. If they want to get you something as a milestone achievement, let them decide on the item.

If you insist on the purchase, I say Cermaic Daytona like everyone else. Enjoy the piece for a bit and if you still don’t like it, you can sell it and have more than ample cash to recoup the Daytona and another watch like a Sub.
2nastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2018, 11:05 AM   #20
kauffee
2024 ROLEX DATE-JUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LN, 116500LN
Crazy idea, but you should go try them on and pick the one you like the most. If your dad is the type of customer that has 2 stainless steel ceramic Daytonas waiting on him, they’ll likely be there in the future, too. Pick the watch you like and enjoy it.

As for whether or not they are “worth it” like you originally asked... well no, of course not. These are luxury goods. $12k for a watch is ridiculous for most people. That being said, $12k for a watch people are willing to pay $20k for isn’t a bad investment.
kauffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2018, 11:45 AM   #21
siempreko
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sometimes
Go and try them on... don’t listen to what other people like, or what is in high demand... get the one that you think belongs on your wrist...

Try them on... you will know which one sings to you!

Congratulations on your graduation!!!

siempreko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2018, 11:49 AM   #22
Carry The Interest
"TRF" Member

Watch: RLX, ALS
Congrats on graduating. I'd strongly recommend going and trying each of these watches on before making a decision. Never know which one will sing to you the most. A lot of us here are inherently biased towards choosing the Daytona assuming you have the option to purchase a SS model if you'd like to.
Carry The Interest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2018, 12:14 PM   #23
lamnyc
"TRF" Member

You should get the black Daytona and your dad should get the white.
lamnyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2018, 01:02 PM   #24
Nikrnic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blnr, Expll, Subs,
If you would like to have a chrono obviously you can't beat a Daytona. If it were me l would treat my first purchase as if it were my last and for me if l were to have only one it would be a Sub but as stated put more thought into it and go back and try on as many as you like, no rush and you'll get it right.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Nikrnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2018, 01:13 PM   #25
Seaswirl
"TRF" Member

The Daytona and Sub are two of my favorites, but if could only keep one, it would be the Daytona.
Seaswirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2018, 01:29 PM   #26
jps3b
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116619
Ceramic Daytona vs jlc chrono vs overseas chrono or submariner

If this is your first high end luxury watch, the choice is easy for me. The Rolex Submariner is as classic as you can get. Sure everyone will have one depending on where you work/live, but who cares. You can take them anywhere. Built rock solid. With a little work you can dress them up if need be. If I had to do it all over again, I wouldn’t change a thing. My first high end watch was a Submariner 16610 when I was 26. Plus, you never know where life takes you. I hope not, but it may be the only high end watch you buy for years ie house, kids, wife etc. The Submariner stands the test of time and will be just as prestigious as the first day you bought it. Hope this helps and good luck. I think you deserve a nice time piece!!!

Here’s mine:

Here is an old friend of mine’s 5513 from 1975

Virtually the same
jps3b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2018, 01:32 PM   #27
c41006
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pelagos
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
Sub from an AD in a reasonable time frame sounds like the best start you can make into this hobby. Plenty of time later on for the misdirection and waiting and frustration on other models, have the joy first!

Exactly what I was thinking
c41006 is offline   Reply With Quote