The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 5 August 2020, 12:29 PM   #1
Timmer1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blue Fifty Fathoms
Blancpain X-71 New vs. Older

I am going to purchase a Blancpain X-71 stainless steel bracelet for my city fathoms but I’m undecided between the “original” design or the new twin trigger clasp. I like the look of the original and found a pre-owned X-71 bracelet on Chrono24 I’m considering but I do not have any experience with the leaf springs and fold over clasp. Can anyone provide some feed back on their opinions of the leaf spring as far as security on the wrist? I do ware my fifty fathoms in the ocean and lake so how security would be top priority.
Timmer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2020, 08:51 PM   #2
Batmannr1
"TRF" Member

Watch: On the left wrist
Any pictures would help to get response I think
Batmannr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2020, 07:54 AM   #3
Timmer1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blue Fifty Fathoms
The first three pictures should be of the spring leaf with a fold over clasp while the last two pictures are of the twin trigger double fold clasp.
Timmer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2020, 08:00 AM   #4
KBM
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

I can't speak from experience in this specific case, but I'd choose the newer and supposedly improved design.
KBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2020, 01:01 PM   #5
ajw45
"TRF" Member

Is the old one spring loaded? If so the spring retention and foldover clasp looks like the more expensively done option. If the new bracelet is anything like the new natos, bp may be cheaping out on the hw.
ajw45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2020, 04:38 PM   #6
Batmannr1
"TRF" Member

Watch: On the left wrist
I have the newer X71 with the twin triggered double fold clasp. No experience with the fold over clasp, so I can not comment on the original bracelet. Blancpain makes very nice SS bracelets of top notch quality. If you like the old design better, go for it.
Will save you some money also I assume.The bracelets are difficult to find pre-owned and the AD will charge you more then 3k for a new one.
Batmannr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2020, 01:15 PM   #7
asiparks
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the Detectives
difficult choice: I have the older version on my FF- I've played with the twin trigger deployant on the Bathyscaphe and I like the release mechanism. But, I like the snappy open and close of the leaf sprung older version. The little, hinged latch though started getting loose to the point whereupon the lightest touch would cause it to open. The rest of the clasp would, thanks to the leaf spring, stay closed, but that clasp is on a tiny screwed hinge and I could imagine the whole thing getting snagged and ripped off. I had to gently adjust mine with some jewellers pliers to stay closed.

the little hinge:

leaf spring; nice and snappy ( the bit that says "metal" )

If I were to be honest, it's an "ok" bracelet- there's some beautiful machining and radiussing that limits the degree of movement between the links, but for a dive watch bracelet - no extension ?! It's behind IWC and Omega bracelets in terms of adjustability and utility.