The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 24 January 2020, 05:07 AM   #1
sxdcfv
Banned

Wempe Thoughts

Anyone have any dealings with Wempe? What are the chances of getting a Aquanaut or Nautilus with a $75K purchase history with them of 'low demand' PP pieces?
sxdcfv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2020, 05:43 AM   #2
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Would be easier to manage if you were bundling a future 75k rather than already spent it. I have always been treated well there but never once purchased so I’ll have to wish you good luck.
Old 24 January 2020, 06:07 AM   #3
RHIII

Watch: AP/Rolex/PP
Sadly I’d have to say I wouldn’t hold my breath - agree with the above comment - if you were going to be speeding forward.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RHIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2020, 07:08 AM   #4
Mr Naultilus
Banned

Personally i would never buy from them,
Mr Naultilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2020, 07:34 AM   #5
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
I liked them before the hype started but then they started to get evasive and difficult, denied showing me a Zeitwerk from the window once, I was on the verge of going all Julia Roberts on her but I couldn't be bothered to roll up my sleeve to the 5711r on my wrist.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2020, 08:41 AM   #6
ts3
"TRF" Member

Been at Wempe Munich a few times and was always treated well. When I wished to get wait listed for a 5711 blue some 4 years ago they were not accommodating at all and Wempe Nuremberg was not exactly keen either. I didn't mind the harsh truth as it gave me the chance to find a different AD. And yes, the 5711 was hard to get back then where I live.
ts3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2020, 08:59 AM   #7
MCMartiny
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lange & Patek
Have had only good experiences with Wempe But as everyone above says, getting an Aqua or Nauti in the current climate is just very difficult at any AD and will probably rely more on the ADs assessment of your potential future spend than on your past spending history.
MCMartiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2020, 11:00 AM   #8
GreenLantern
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCMartiny View Post
...getting an Aqua or Nauti in the current climate is just very difficult at any AD and will probably rely more on the ADs assessment of your potential future spend than on your past spending history.
Grey market dealers don't seem to have any trouble.

GreenLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2020, 11:04 AM   #9
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

Got minimal experience with them. But none of it was good.
sensui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2020, 11:54 AM   #10
Jay (Eire)
2024 Pledge Member

If you are talking about NYC I think forget it. The PP folks there are not up for entertaining us small buyers / collectors.
Jay (Eire) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2020, 11:59 AM   #11
Fat_ninja
Banned

Watch: P-01
I had lunch with the president of Wempe...and sent an email to him after. I never got anything back... maybe I should have signed it ‘big swinging dick’

I didn’t even ask for a watch. I just wanted to say hello

Tbh nice place but I don’t feel like I belong there.
Fat_ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2020, 12:38 PM   #12
martinr
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat_ninja View Post
I had lunch with the president of Wempe...and sent an email to him after. I never got anything back... maybe I should have signed it ‘big swinging dick’

I didn’t even ask for a watch. I just wanted to say hello

Tbh nice place but I don’t feel like I belong there.
The sales lady at Tiffany got to him first.
martinr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2020, 12:40 PM   #13
Fat_ninja
Banned

Watch: P-01
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinr View Post
The sales lady at Tiffany got to him first.
You know what I have to say to that?

Fat_ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2020, 02:19 AM   #14
irate.alien
"TRF" Member

I've been in the NY store once. It was a Wednesday morning in early December, so kind of slow. And I was really clear that I just wanted to get some info about a Nomos--just wanted to get my eyes and hands on one in person. They were exceedingly gracious and informative even though I'd never been in there before and we were chatting about a $3500 Nomos they must have known they weren't going to sell me. I was really surprised. (Might have helped that the salesperson happened to be German and was really excited about German watches, but still, she must have had something else to do.)

Sounds like several people have had bad experiences there, really curious what happened.
Old 8 August 2020, 06:44 AM   #15
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

I have had pleasant visits to Wempe in NYC, London, Paris and several German locations. The sole exception was their flagship Hamburg store.

Your experience may differ if you are an existing Patek owner and just trying on a few watches vs if you are new to the brand and looking to get a popular piece. Watch salespeople can tell the difference.
jon_jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2020, 07:40 AM   #16
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Been a long time customer of the NY store and always had a great experience there, even when just browsing with a new SA who did not know a thing about me.
Calatrava r is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2020, 07:41 AM   #17
Be_Water
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sxdcfv View Post
Anyone have any dealings with Wempe? What are the chances of getting a Aquanaut or Nautilus with a $75K purchase history with them of 'low demand' PP pieces?
A colleague of mine went in about a year ago to inquire about getting on the list for a 5711. He was referred by his friend who is a sales associate at the Rolex Boutique (Wempe owned as well). He was told that if he spent $250,000, that they would put him at number 4 on the list. Suffice it to say, he didn't bite.
Be_Water is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2020, 02:27 PM   #18
jamestucker
"TRF" Member

Top guys at their London store. They don't have a waiting list and used to sell Nautilus and Aquanauts even to first time buyers. They stopped doing it after few negative experiences.

They told me one guy from the US living in London obtained 3 Nautilus from them in very quick succession by showing his "passion for watches/brand" only to sell all three of them in very quick succession. One guy ruined it for all!
jamestucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2020, 11:56 PM   #19
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamestucker View Post
Top guys at their London store. They don't have a waiting list and used to sell Nautilus and Aquanauts even to first time buyers. They stopped doing it after few negative experiences.

They told me one guy from the US living in London obtained 3 Nautilus from them in very quick succession by showing his "passion for watches/brand" only to sell all three of them in very quick succession. One guy ruined it for all!

Lol was that Tyler ? He was a nice guy haven’t seen him around in a long time.
Old 9 August 2020, 01:10 AM   #20
alphadweller
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43
I'm on their fictitious list for a steel Pepsi since March 2018. They refused to put me on the same kind of list for the Batman jubilee in March 2019. Back in May this year I offered to buy a discontinued Calatrava bundled with a Pepsi. They said no, only the Calatrava and no discount. I don't particularly feel like going back, TBH.
alphadweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2020, 02:50 AM   #21
Pimpsy
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5712/1A
A large shop like Wempe already has a long list of know clients badgering them for desirable pieces. They also field multiple calls from all over the world every single day regarding hard to get pieces, with all manners of stories and lies attached. They are, understandably, utterly sick of hearing about "where is my 5711."

In my experience, the best thing to do is establish a real relationship with your local dealer...and I don't mean a "I bought some stuff from you" relationship. I attend functions for various brands, stop in to say hello and chat, and otherwise stay engaged...not as part of some watch grabbing long game but because I actually enjoy our hobby and my dealer knows that. I also genuinely like my dealer and staff (and attending events, lol.)

The guys at Patek NYC are also well aware of my enthusiasm and have (very generously) allocated pieces to me accordingly and invited me to special events. It has to be mentioned too that Patek events are always great! And I invariably meet wonderful people at each.

In short, if you are in the hobby for the right reasons things sort of work out on their own. If you're just looking to get a desirable piece...you should probably plan to pay a premium in the grey market.
Pimpsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2020, 07:24 AM   #22
jamestucker
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
Lol was that Tyler ? He was a nice guy haven’t seen him around in a long time.
No names were mentioned and lets not throw names around
jamestucker is offline   Reply With Quote