The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 25 April 2020, 06:06 PM   #1
Vivalas
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
VC Overseas options?

Whenever possible in the future I’d like to get a VC overseas. Based on the one I’ve seen in the flesh I’d opt for the blue.

I’m looking at the chrono (which I’ve tried on and is truly stunning), but would also consider the dual time and three handed. Apart from the difference in cost, I’m keen to find out what made you chose the one you have over the others? I realise there are different functions with the options as well, so I’m more looking for feel, wearability, fit, look and any points that swayed you. Or if you don’t have one, still keen to here views. Thank you.
Vivalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2020, 07:53 PM   #2
d-dawg
"TRF" Member

Hi Stephen,

Hi Stephen, great choice, I am very happy with my Overseas and the easy strap change system is really a nice feature I appreciate a lot.
I went for the three hander (also blue dial) - I liked how clean the dial is and that way the deep blue comes across more than e.g. with the chrono which is more busy. Also don't like the date position on the chrono and the asymmetric crown on the dual time. Both also wear significantly larger I felt.

But all above ultimately a matter of taste... Good luck in making your decision!
d-dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2020, 01:44 AM   #3
Amochosto
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me
I chose to order a Dual Time.

In my opinion, sports watches should have a complication (rotating bezel, multi time zone or chronograph and dress watches should be time only or time and date.

I chose the Dual Time because I love multi time zone watches and chronographs, but my cousin uses a second generation chronograph as his daily, and I don’t want to copy him.

Stupidity is doomed, therefore, to cringe at every syllable of wisdom

Heraclitus of Ephesus
Amochosto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2020, 02:40 AM   #4
Vivalas
"TRF" Member

Hi and thank you for the replies. Been considering all options.

I’ve a chronograph in my white dial Daytona so decided to rule that out, plus I’ve a Pepsi gmt and I also have a skydweller. I was 50% on the three hand automatic and 50% on the dual time . . . . . They’ve a blue three hand in stock and available for delivery, so I’ve gone that route.
Old 26 April 2020, 05:37 AM   #5
Amochosto
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivalas View Post
Hi and thank you for the replies. Been considering all options.

I’ve a chronograph in my white dial Daytona so decided to rule that out, plus I’ve a Pepsi gmt and I also have a skydweller. I was 50% on the three hand automatic and 50% on the dual time . . . . . They’ve a blue three hand in stock and available for delivery, so I’ve gone that route.
Congrats! Please post pics on the Vacheron thread or here, as I am following these threads, desperately waiting to get mine delivered.

Stupidity is doomed, therefore, to cringe at every syllable of wisdom

Heraclitus of Ephesus
Amochosto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2020, 05:50 AM   #6
d-dawg
"TRF" Member

Congrats - that decision was made quickly, and actually these quick decisions were the best ones for me when it comes to watches!
d-dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2020, 07:40 AM   #7
helloworldies
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Vacheron
Chrono is a little bigger for those who have a small wrist.
helloworldies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2020, 06:42 PM   #8
Vivalas
"TRF" Member

Thanks - being delivered next week apparently, so I’ll post my incoming :-)
Old 24 July 2020, 12:56 AM   #9
Tarheel Blue
"TRF" Member

I'm wrestling with this same decision. The problem is, at least at my AD, it is very tough to see any of the options in person (particularly the blue dial of any of them). I have heard some find the blue "too blue" and rave about the varying greys in the black dual time. Has anyone seen the dual time black in person yet?
Tarheel Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2020, 07:52 AM   #10
eliaalsayegh
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rlx
My favorite
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 20F23EA0-A21E-492A-8BB4-208C55D18727.jpeg (116.5 KB, 390 views)
eliaalsayegh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2020, 07:55 AM   #11
GoingPlaces
"TRF" Member

How difficult is sourcing a blue dual time?
GoingPlaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2020, 09:08 AM   #12
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

^ x2
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2020, 09:19 AM   #13
Nav01L
"TRF" Member

Personally, I went for the three hander, mainly because it was the thinnest and thus has the prettiest proportions. It’s a wonderful watch. Also like the DT a lot, but somehow prefer the black/anthracite dial on that one.

Remember, the dignity you surrender at your AD‘s doorstep will never be recovered by wearing the watch he may get you.
Nav01L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2020, 11:34 AM   #14
bmclaurin
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD4K
I couldn’t decide between the blue 3-hander and the DT. I ended up with the blue DT simply because it was the first one I could find at the right price. Like a prior poster, I also tend to prefer a complication on a sports watch, so I think it all worked out just right for me. But there’s no denying that the blue dial 3-hander is a stunner! First world problems lol.

Rolex: SD 116600 | Submariner 114060 | GMT 126710BLNR | GMT 116710LN | Explorer II 216570 | Explorer 214270

Other: Vacheron Constantin | Panerai | Omega | Grand Seiko | Breitling
bmclaurin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2020, 04:12 PM   #15
Phooi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmclaurin View Post
I couldn’t decide between the blue 3-hander and the DT. I ended up with the blue DT simply because it was the first one I could find at the right price. Like a prior poster, I also tend to prefer a complication on a sports watch, so I think it all worked out just right for me. But there’s no denying that the blue dial 3-hander is a stunner! First world problems lol.
Where did you end up sourcing the watch?
Phooi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2020, 11:54 PM   #16
Tarheel Blue
"TRF" Member

boutiques will order them (I talked to a salesperson straight from the VC site) with a 4 weeks delivery time. I'm guessing boutiques will not discount them at all. Are ADs discounting them given the rarety?
Tarheel Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2020, 03:10 AM   #17
Vivalas
"TRF" Member

I went for the 3 hander as I’ve a white steel Daytona so have a chrono, a Pepsi gmt as well and a skydweller, so wanted simplicity. It was the right choice for me. Even more a the blue dial is such a stunning colour I wanted nothing to distract. That said all of them are fairly spectacular.
Old 26 July 2020, 08:19 AM   #18
bmclaurin
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phooi View Post
Where did you end up sourcing the watch?
I caved and went Chrono24. Found BNIB under MSRP. Arrives Tuesday, can’t wait. Tried the boutique here in LV with no luck—I’m a nobody to them, so really no chance for me there.

Rolex: SD 116600 | Submariner 114060 | GMT 126710BLNR | GMT 116710LN | Explorer II 216570 | Explorer 214270

Old 26 July 2020, 09:13 AM   #19
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliaalsayegh View Post
My favorite
Love your watch and am considering it. What is your wrist size ? Enjoy
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2020, 03:50 AM   #20
Nikrnic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blnr, Expll, Subs,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivalas View Post
I went for the 3 hander as I’ve a white steel Daytona so have a chrono, a Pepsi gmt as well and a skydweller, so wanted simplicity. It was the right choice for me. Even more a the blue dial is such a stunning colour I wanted nothing to distract. That said all of them are fairly spectacular.
Any Pics yet??

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Nikrnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2020, 08:26 AM   #21
vman
"TRF" Member

Watch: less TV
VC is not that hard to source. ADs can get it to you within 3-6 months with 30% deposit. Another one offered a delivery by the end of the month with 100% refundable deposit. Blue dial is a bit harder to find. Judging by prices here and on Chrono 24, if you paid MSRP, you probably overpaid.
Old 9 August 2020, 08:59 AM   #22
mickyd329
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/PP/Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by vman View Post
VC is not that hard to source. ADs can get it to you within 3-6 months with 30% deposit. Another one offered a delivery by the end of the month with 100% refundable deposit. Blue dial is a bit harder to find. Judging by prices here and on Chrono 24, if you paid MSRP, you probably overpaid.

I don't think so. Blue dials are hard to come by now. I doubt you can get a discount.
PP 5205G-013/ PP 5212A / AP 15416CE /26574 st QP/ AP 50th 16202st /AP 15500st Black / AP 26405CE / AP 77350CE / AP 15551st / AP 67540sk /Daytona C White/Rolex SS BLRO / Rolex Sub Green / Rolex Explorer II/ Rolex DJ Blue
mickyd329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2020, 09:11 AM   #23
bmclaurin
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I was visiting my local AD yesterday while wearing my blue dial dual time, and they were so excited to see one. Said the most recent blue dial (of any of the three dial configurations) they had in the shop was back in December and they’re almost impossible for them to source right now. They did have a silver dial chrono in stock, and that was the first time I had seen the silver dial in person—it’s fantastic.

Old 9 August 2020, 09:22 AM   #24
vman
"TRF" Member

All hype... No offense.
Old 9 August 2020, 10:01 AM   #25
Phooi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmclaurin View Post
I was visiting my local AD yesterday while wearing my blue dial dual time, and they were so excited to see one. Said the most recent blue dial (of any of the three dial configurations) they had in the shop was back in December and they’re almost impossible for them to source right now. They did have a silver dial chrono in stock, and that was the first time I had seen the silver dial in person—it’s fantastic.
Glad you were able to source one below MSRP. AD told me they are sold out for the year so I put myself on a list for a blue DT. I’m not in a hurry for one.

How about a wrist shot?!
Phooi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2020, 10:39 AM   #26
bmclaurin
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phooi View Post
How about a wrist shot?!
I’ve posted this before, but twist my arm, I’ll post it again lol...

Old 9 August 2020, 10:41 AM   #27
mickyd329
"TRF" Member

Quote:
All hype... No offense.

To each his own I guess. Safe to assume you feel that way about Patek, AP, and Rolex? If so. I'll respect that opinion.
PP 5205G-013/ PP 5212A / AP 15416CE /26574 st QP/ AP 50th 16202st /AP 15500st Black / AP 26405CE / AP 77350CE / AP 15551st / AP 67540sk /Daytona C White/Rolex SS BLRO / Rolex Sub Green / Rolex Explorer II/ Rolex DJ Blue
Old 9 August 2020, 12:00 PM   #28
vman
"TRF" Member

I will take VC around MSRP but extra $ for the blue dial is a bit too much. I do think the same about the brands you mentioned. Daytona says it all :-)
Old 9 August 2020, 12:17 PM   #29
Nikrnic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blnr, Expll, Subs,
No ADs had any 3 hander VCs when I called several in december. The Chicago and Texas ADs wanted a deposit to get on a list, no discounts offered at that time and delivery expected around march/april, then covid hit. I was lucky with some help from a friend who knew a grey in NY who a new one from the VC AD in the neighborhood, a black 4500V in stock, my color choice too. I made the deal via phone with an unexpected deep discount, paid cash immediately by a wire transfer on Christmas eve, it was good timing for me, they were very busy and it was near closing time until the first of the year.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Nikrnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2020, 12:17 PM   #30
mickyd329
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I will take VC around MSRP but extra $ for the blue dial is a bit too much. I do think the same about the brands you mentioned. Daytona says it all :-)

Fair enough. I agree. As much as I am an AP and Rolex fan, I think they are over hyped along with Patek. But why would you say the OP has overpaid if he paid MSRP for the VC?

I have found that VC quality is quite superb. AP case finishing may be better, but I think VC is better on the finishing of the movement. MSRP is a fair value imho.

As for Rolex, I would never pay the grey market prices. They are simply not worth the premium.