The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > WatchOut!!!

Old 11 September 2013, 12:24 PM   #31
domenick512
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116618
Sorry to hear this.
domenick512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2013, 12:51 PM   #32
hdrazor251
"TRF" Member

Watch: is recovered!!
Sorry to hear and hope you recover it.
Old 11 September 2013, 12:54 PM   #33
koda240
"TRF" Member

Sorry to hear this. What a bummer. I have found that most of my flips end up being with only a handful on another forum i frequent because the joy in the hobby is ten fold when you trust the other side. I sure hope something surfaces for you.
koda240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2013, 01:01 PM   #34
Bangel
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN
Sorry for your situation.

I applaud your decision to take the higher road.

In the end, you still have your health. Put it down to a life lesson, albeit one that has potentially cost you $7450.

Thanks for sharing your cautionary tale.
Bangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2013, 01:10 PM   #35
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
That's sad to see this happen. It happens all too often, although we don't read about it here on the forum too much. I'm sorry that this had to happen to you.

Below is a thread from the Watchout Section that I posted two years ago regarding wire fund transfers and how to read your online statement. Be aware that any check that is deposited into your account can be fraudulent or counterfeit. Some counterfeit cashier checks, American Express checks , money orders etc. can take a week or two before they are identified as counterfeit.

Be careful out there!

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthre...12716#poststop

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2013, 01:13 PM   #36
Nidal
"TRF" Member

Watch: SubC LV
So sorry to hear the bad news. I pay 60$ a YEAR for insurance for peace of mind.
I hope you find the crook and put him in jail

NIDAL
Nidal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2013, 01:23 PM   #37
N_Architect
"TRF" Member

Watch: x2 H. Moser & Cie.
Not nice to hear.

At the end of the day it is just a watch, but it should not be so easy for these guys to steal stuff in such a way.

No matter what, you are very honest with yourself, something not many people would do (at least initially) if in such a situation, so kudos for that.

Life should be good and peaceful. This is what we should aim for. A scam like the one you just went through can never alter your direction towards such an aim. It is simply a daily nuisance, just like the occasional scratch or dent our timepieces sustain throughout their lives.

You should already be looking to the next timepiece which you would like to have in your wrist. All the rest is just an experience, good or bad.
Old 11 September 2013, 01:24 PM   #38
GOB
"TRF" Member

Just in case, the serial number of my Submariner Ceramic "C", model 116610LN was 075T8263

I only do this in hopes that someone finds this watch (reward will be given!) and returns it to its rightful owner (ME!).

Yes, I do have proof of purchase. You can search under my username and see exactly what I posted when I bought it last year.

To all who have 'congratulated' me on being honest with myself and taking the higher road, thanks, but don't think for one second that I am not a human being and that I have not inherited $0.01 from anyone and that all my watches have been purchased with sweat/careful planning/hard work, so yes, I have decided to take it as a VERY expensive learning lesson, and would like to believe that I can "forgive and forget", but just as much, I would like to see the person(s) who did this suffer in excruciating pain for an indefinite period in time. As "luck" would have it, the preacher said on Sunday "make an effort to treat everybody around you as if he/she were your brother/sister". Talk about a challenge in this challenging time.....

Just need to remind myself that all of this is just material thing, and that if I made it once, I can do it again, I still have a roof and food on the the table, and I have MUCH more to lose (wife & kids) if I decide to take another route against those who chose to harm me. Expensive/tough lesson learned. My wish/hope is that it may help someone in the future.
GOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2013, 02:08 PM   #39
michel33

Sorry to hear such bad news.
What i don't get is, since you have a high definition pic of the "driver's" licence: How come the police and the Attorney's General Office do not apprehend the driver, prosecutes him and put him in custody?

Is there at least an investigation going on right now?
michel33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2013, 03:03 PM   #40
aeon888
"TRF" Member

I think the supposed "driver" that picked up your watch is the guy who scammed you.

He just lied that he is sending his driver but he was "the driver" in disguise. Do you have cctv cameras nearby your house. Try asking your neighbors if they have cctvs that may have recorded his face.
aeon888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2013, 03:04 PM   #41
A.Sharp
"TRF" Member

Aw man that sucks!

1. Could it hurt to post the serial# plus photos of the car license plate. NO! I think it might actually help. Lots of watch buyers on here and if any of them come across it, it'd be good if you posted the serial.
2. who is the license plate connected to?
3. is there anyway to see where that prepaid chip was purchased from?
4. can they track him from the GPS in his phone?
5. If its any consolation, I broke my femur this summer. It is easily costing me upwards of 15K. It was for no good reason either, it was just a stupid accident- wasnt using my head for one second. So S*** HAPPENS my friend. And just chalk it up to a learning experience.

I hope the thief gets what he deserves. Chances are the thief IS the driver?

"I can't listen to that much Wagner, ya know? I start to get the urge to conquer Poland."
A.Sharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2013, 03:19 PM   #42
sig04
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub
If this transaction occurred in the US, you may have some recourse. The US has specific laws when it comes to negotiable instruments; i.e., checks. You would have to figure out whether you are a holder in due course, which means you could potentially hold other indorsees liable.

I can't tell you what to do; it sounds like you might be up the creek.
sig04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2013, 03:22 PM   #43
Mauiguy
"TRF" Member

I'm sorry to hear about this ordeal as well, but you're attitude is strong and you have a good perspective on things. Your safety being the first priority and thank goodness nothing bad happened in that regard. Hopefully, the police may be of help in tracking down the vehicle and catching the culprit(s).
Mauiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2013, 03:23 PM   #44
up2nogood
"TRF" Member

Watch: Idiot Savant
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOB View Post
Just need to remind myself that all of this is just material thing, and that if I made it once, I can do it again, I still have a roof and food on the the table, and I have MUCH more to lose (wife & kids) if I decide to take another route against those who chose to harm me. Expensive/tough lesson learned. My wish/hope is that it may help someone in the future.
My friend, do not be concerned. You will make more money and be more careful in the future. Keep the new watch, and think of your family every time you look at it.
And if it makes you feel better, I just wrote off a $100,000 investment in a company that has failed. I would love to have just lost a watch!
up2nogood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2013, 03:26 PM   #45
sea-dweller
"TRF" Member

Terrible! Hope you get it back!
sea-dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2013, 03:27 PM   #46
Cc1966
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the Sea...
My thoughts are with you thru this aggravating time.

"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way."
Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778
"Curmudgeons " Favorites: 1665 SD, Sub Date, DSSD, Exp II, Sub LV, GMTIIc
Cc1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2013, 03:28 PM   #47
CWIN
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek, AP, Rolex
Wow that sucks. Sorry to hear about your troubles. I truly believe in life that what goes around comes around. I hope it catches up with the guy sooner or later.
CWIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2013, 03:31 PM   #48
sig04
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub
Moral of the story, OP was played. You don't sell your watch(es) to anyone that can't pay in cash or has an AD license.
sig04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2013, 04:20 PM   #49
Baselman
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1665 GreatWhite SD
The most common scam - sorry unless you have fully cleared funds ( note a cheque can also be uncleared funds even after 1-2months ) you have yourself a lesson learnt the hard way - never give anything valuable away.
Baselman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2013, 04:39 PM   #50
Vincent65
"TRF" Member

That's a tough lesson, sorry.
Vincent65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2013, 05:19 PM   #51
RICHARD_LEWIS
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LV
That really sucks but gotta say good for you for taking the higher road.

I agree with a couple of previous posters - driver sounds like it could have been the guy. Hope you manage to find the f*cker and that he gets whats coming to him (within the bounds of the law)!
RICHARD_LEWIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2013, 07:20 PM   #52
travisb
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes..
Terrible to hear this stuff, but all too common.
Keep your head up.
travisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2013, 07:33 PM   #53
77T
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOB View Post

I add my hopes that they catch the thief and you get the watch back.

But I applaud your POV - peace and happiness are more than a Rolex

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2013, 07:44 PM   #54
snypa
"TRF" Member

Watch: The Bluesy!
Sorry to hear of your loss, and I admire your mindset with regards to having the ability to do something about it, but taking the high road morally.

To remember that in the end, it is just a material thing shows what kind of guy you are!
No need to tell you that karma will probably run its course on the perpetrators.

"Time will continue to move forward, whether you choose to make something of it or not"
snypa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2013, 09:11 PM   #55
ltmgeller
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex
Sorry to hear. I hope your watch finds its way back to you.
ltmgeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2013, 09:27 PM   #56
Casey VP-26
"TRF" Member

Well that sucks, Don't be so hard on yourself, although I do it to myself all the time.
Better days are coming. Good Luck.
Casey VP-26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2013, 10:27 PM   #57
LuminousMaximus
"TRF" Member

Watch: me hit Huge Lotto
Icon3 bye bye A$$&ole "Forget about it...."

The scammer is somewhat smart being able to talk intelligently about your watch and, "Asking you the right questions." I learned most of what I know from what I read here on Rolex Forums and it would go without saying that other's could do so as well. Sorry to say that the scammer could be a lurker here and is currently reading this post.

I might not have read carefully enough, but couldn't the police do anything with the licens plate? like go to his house and check it?

You could always post up another rolex to see if you or the police could catch him inhte act?

If you ever see that, "Driver" again what could you do or what would you do?

Lastly, if you continue with any amount of effort regarding this issue, you will never feel FREE from it.

Good luck with your options.

To really lives means to live your life to the fullest. It means to chase your dreams, take risks, and to love life.
Since everyone’s fate is the same, why not live the best life that you possibly can? In order to really live,you must seize the day.
Live each day as if it's your last and overall just do it! Today is a gift, that’s why it’s called the present...
LuminousMaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2013, 10:28 PM   #58
gpfps
Banned

Watch: 18078
Sorry about what happen, but you most wait until any type of check clears before giving up any thing you are selling. Don't beat your self up everyone makes mistakes ! I'm high on the list ie smashing a 1680 thinking it was a fake. Hope it makes you fell better !
gpfps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2013, 10:29 PM   #59
cop414
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: 14060M
So sorry to hear, OP you're taking the high road on this and that's a wise decision. Thank you for sharing here with other members. I would be sick over this but as you said it's a material item. As far as the new one you bought if you have the support of your wife please keep it, you deserve it.

Rolex Submariner 14060M
Omega Seamaster 2254.50
DOXA Professional 1200T

Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
TRF's "After Dark" Bar & NightClub Patron
P Club Member #17
2 FA ENABLED
cop414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2013, 10:34 PM   #60
robertneville
"TRF" Member

Watch: me burn