The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > WatchOut!!!

Old 23 December 2018, 09:09 AM   #331
CorradoBrit
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdullah71601 View Post
It's not a pawn shop. He's not loaning money at exorbitant interest rates with your watch as collateral.

They are betting that once you've shipped them your watch that you'll take their low ball offer.
This
CorradoBrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 December 2018, 04:35 PM   #332
Metal
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smym18 View Post
If you sell things at market value, you obviously have to buy below, which a lot of people don't seem to understand.

Say he pays you exactly what you're asking for, he obviously then marks it up. Now the narrative becomes "Bob's is a ripoff."
His offer was nothing near what they offered after I sent pictures. Once they had the watch, they told me my brand new never worn bracelet had no value. Then they made getting my watch back a pain.
Clearly, I'm not in a hurry to sell the watch since I still have it but had he given me what they told me I'd have sold it and used the money as store credit on a 16710 Pepsi.
Metal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 December 2018, 09:51 PM   #333
mrblue
"TRF" Member

First it's not a pawn shop. That's a very specific type of business. Second, do you really expect them to actually pay the owner of the watch based on photos rather than actually having the watch in hand and examining it? Did I miss something in the story where you are forced to take their offer? To make an issue of the company name is ridiculous. The CEO of Ford has to have the last name Ford?
mrblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 December 2018, 12:20 AM   #334
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblue View Post
First it's not a pawn shop. That's a very specific type of business. Second, do you really expect them to actually pay the owner of the watch based on photos rather than actually having the watch in hand and examining it? Did I miss something in the story where you are forced to take their offer? To make an issue of the company name is ridiculous. The CEO of Ford has to have the last name Ford?
Yes, absolutely. I expect them to make an accurate offer based on pictures. They should be within a narrow margin of error, just like anyone here who buys off pictures alone in the for sale forum.

Their watchmaker examines every watch and they polish everything that doesn't have stickers on it. I expect those fixed costs to be built into their initial offer. Their practice however, is to wait until they have your watch in hand to mention these fixed costs. And, their final offer is tens of percent off their initial offer. It's an unethical business practice IMO.
Abdullah71601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 December 2018, 01:41 AM   #335
mrblue
"TRF" Member

Except if you buy a watch from Bobs, based on pictures, you can return it and get your money back. Bob's or any similar retailers do not have that same option when they buy a watch. We all know photos can be disingenuous if someone wants them to be. If someone thinks they are going to get full retail when selling a watch to someone to resell they really are kidding themselves.
Old 24 December 2018, 02:10 AM   #336
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
Quote:
Except if you buy a watch from Bobs, based on pictures, you can return it and get your money back. Bob's or any similar retailers do not have that same option when they buy a watch. We all know photos can be disingenuous if someone wants them to be. If someone thinks they are going to get full retail when selling a watch to someone to resell they really are kidding themselves.
No one is expecting retail from a retail store. In fact, everyone expects Bob's to be close to the offer posted on their webpage for each model, which is obviously far less than retail. That expectation however, seems to only apply to BNIB watches with stickers on. All else will be low balled far below their online value or their written initial offer.

If Bob's can't glean enough information to make an accurate offer from the pictures, they shouldn't be in the watch business. They clearly have the expertise, so the only other explanation is that they use shady business practices.
Abdullah71601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 December 2018, 03:44 AM   #337
mrblue
"TRF" Member

Can't argue with the experts here. I would never accuse someone of being shady without personal experience. You do know that retail prices are negotiable don't you?
Old 24 December 2018, 04:27 AM   #338
imperio
"TRF" Member

Watch: this space
Quote:
Can't argue with the experts here. I would never accuse someone of being shady without personal experience. You do know that retail prices are negotiable don't you?
The very first post is of someone's personal experience. Multiple others have chimed in with similar personal stories.
You need to read all 300+ posts within this thread. Have you done that?
Old 24 December 2018, 05:53 AM   #339
CorradoBrit
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I've yet to hear of ANYONE who has actually got a confirmed offer close to the quote once Bob gets the watch. That speaks volumes. I don't need personal experience to know when to avoid a certain business. The slow return of sellers property is also
Old 24 December 2018, 08:33 AM   #340
Tony1T
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II & SUB
Have them send the watch back. Put in a drawer and just wear it on special occasions Im sure she'll find the love for it again.

It doesn't cost anything to keep it in a drawer.
Tony1T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 December 2018, 03:00 AM   #341
Metal
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony1T View Post
Have them send the watch back. Put in a drawer and just wear it on special occasions I'm sure she'll find the love for it again.

It doesn't cost anything to keep it in a drawer.
In my case (and I believe a couple of others) they made getting the watch back difficult. They refused to ship mine back or bill me for return shipping.
I had to go to FedEx and fill out the forms to have a call tag sent.
It seemed like they were trying to wear me down and make it difficult NOT to accept their offer.
That was more annoying than the low ball offer.
Metal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 December 2018, 03:07 AM   #342
Reddy_Kilowatt
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16220 & 216570
Quote:

Hi Bob!

Reddy_Kilowatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 December 2018, 03:13 AM   #343
superstarmar
Banned

Watch: my wrist presence
I'd pass on doing business with Bob's or Beckertime...
Plenty of other smaller dealers willing to give you exceptional
service and quality pieces at a fair price... The mixed reviews are
enough to steer me away.
superstarmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2019, 12:22 PM   #344
jlovda
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513,1675,216570
Imagine what a thread would be like talking about someone taking their watch into a shop on 47th St. in NYC?
jlovda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2019, 05:59 AM   #345
05carbondrz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal View Post
In my case (and I believe a couple of others) they made getting the watch back difficult. They refused to ship mine back or bill me for return shipping.
I had to go to FedEx and fill out the forms to have a call tag sent.
It seemed like they were trying to wear me down and make it difficult NOT to accept their offer.
That was more annoying than the low ball offer.
I have heard this same BS,Some Sellers even had to threaten legal action to get their Watch back....How someone can be such a Snake and still in Business is beyond me.You will also notice that nobody from Bob’s defends their Name because they know it’s TRUE.
05carbondrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2019, 07:52 AM   #346
Sirschwag
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513
ahh....the Palindrome that is BOB! I was offered a consignment agreement at 25% commission.....can't blame them for trying., but Paul didn't respond directly, someone from Bob's did...not a very personal feel at all. Prices are high and a lot are over-polished...they do seem to price accordingly and I've seen a few decent Subs...nice one's are pricey, but hey - they are hot now!
Sirschwag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2019, 07:07 AM   #347
ACmbc
"TRF" Member

Newbie here. Cannot believe this conversation is still ongoing. Very interesting!
ACmbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2019, 12:00 PM   #348
KilgoreTrout
"TRF" Member

Bob’s watch is famous for low balling. From experience, I got quotes from crown and caliber and bob’s, guess who did I end up selling to? I don’t remember but Bob’s quote was ridiculously low.
KilgoreTrout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2019, 12:28 PM   #349
05carbondrz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KilgoreTrout View Post
Bob’s watch is famous for low balling. From experience, I got quotes from crown and caliber and bob’s, guess who did I end up selling to? I don’t remember but Bob’s quote was ridiculously low.
Then You have to factor in that it would have been even lower once they got your Watch.
05carbondrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2019, 01:40 PM   #350
mdubya
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlovda View Post
Imagine what a thread would be like talking about someone taking their watch into a shop on 47th St. in NYC?
I actually had a great experience selling to a 47th shop believe it or not. Wasnt planning on selling but had the watch on my wrist and mentioned i was thinking of selling. They made an offer well above TS offer prices and the rest was history.
mdubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2019, 01:53 PM   #351
CorradoBrit
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdubya View Post
I actually had a great experience selling to a 47th shop believe it or not. Wasnt planning on selling but had the watch on my wrist and mentioned i was thinking of selling. They made an offer well above TS offer prices and the rest was history.
I've yet to hear of a similar experience with Bob's. Their MO is clear.
Old 5 July 2021, 11:38 AM   #352
sambb
"TRF" Member

THis thread is enlightening, and wondering if the process of offer revision is still common with them
sambb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2021, 12:44 PM   #353
TimeLord2
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT Master 1675/3
Quote:
Originally Posted by sambb View Post
THis thread is enlightening, and wondering if the process of offer revision is still common with them
Yes! The amazing part is the length of time this post has been active and we still have the original poster commenting. God I love this forum! Keep up the good work gentlemen!
TimeLord2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2021, 01:51 PM   #354
djona
"TRF" Member

Watch: N/A
Even after turning down lowball offers by both text and email, I continue to get bombarded with boilerplate emails from representatives reminding me to ship them my watch.
djona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2021, 03:22 PM   #355
214270Explorer
"TRF" Member

Watch: me buy Watches
I will NEVER deal again with them. Their service guy is nothing more than a bad attitude. At least, who they had a few years back . . .

Rolex "some"
Tudor "some"
Damasko "some"
Misc Pieces "some"
Marathon "some"
GS Spring Drive "some"
Hamilton "some"
Findeisen "some"
214270Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2021, 12:29 AM   #356
DeVille
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD4K 4 LIFE
My 2 cents... just the other day I offered them a BNIB (card dated the day before) piece, and the offer I received was so ridiculously low (way under 'dealer' buy price) that I thought the guy hadn't heard the watch description/model number correctly.
Needless to say, I passed...
DeVille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2021, 08:25 PM   #357
1665fan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Investr View Post
They are SCUMBAGS!!!
Bigtime!
1665fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2021, 08:26 PM   #358
1665fan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sambb View Post
You mean the process of ripping people off???? Yes they still do that
1665fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2021, 11:30 PM   #359
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1665fan View Post
Bigtime!
You're replying to a five-year-old post from a banned member?
Old 12 July 2021, 12:54 AM   #360
TomLou
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rlx 1807 President
Paul Altieri….is the owner of Bob’s watches
Price, at the moment for your watch is $2500 …2 years ago $1600
TomLou is offline   Reply With Quote