The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex Watch Reviews

Old 14 October 2006, 04:28 AM   #1
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Would this be too late to review my 16610?

Hi guys,

What can I say about the superlative 16610 - or more popularly known as the SS Sub-date?

I've had my baby on now for just over 8 months and, knowing how anal I am about accuracy and performance, I am absolutely overjoyed to announce that this watch has NEVER let me down in this department!!

Even as I type this message, the watch is virtually spot-on!! Everything they say about the amazing 3135 movement is true - very true!!! Yes, there are much better finished and more attractive movements out there...and from some of the finest watch manufacturing Swiss firms in the world!! Those movements, in fact, are so beautiful, they deserve a transparent caseback.

However, with the 3135 movement, there's really NOTHING to see in terms of beauty and finesse. It's a bloody workhorse...and that's exactly what it's been designed to do. So Rolex never make any watch with transparent casebacks. Their movements have been designed to be heard and appreciated...NOT watched (no pun intended!! )

The CASE: Massive and very solid. Love the no-holes on the sides look! Gives it a nice smooth kinda continuity. Crown guards are perfectly designed to hug the massive TRIPLOCK crown. Size of 40 mm is perfect for virtually most wrist sizes - not too big and not too small!!

The CRYSTAL: Whereas the older models had their crystals sitting very high up on the top of the case, this one is virtually flush with the bezel and with only a very, very slight and negligible height difference. Solid, massive crystal designed to easily take water pressures at a depth of 1000+ feet of water!!

The CROWN: Love the TRIPLOCK crown, its largeness and the feel of its ultra-smooth winding mechanism. The added 'O-ring' around the stem gives you just that extra assurance that this baby can go down to virtually any depth YOU can possibly take it down to.

The BEZEL: Never had any problems with it. Hardly ever use it except perhaps sometimes at parking meters when I go downtown. Clicks through 120 stops for one complete counter-clockwise rotation. I'm happy with that!!

The DIAL: Now we come to the most aesthetically important part of any watch. This dial is black...and I do mean BLACK.....a total negation of all colours!! And that's what BLACK's all about!! NO COLOURS!! The standard size markers and hands are perfectly suited for this all time classic and, I'm afraid, a maxi dial and hands on this beauty would just about ruin its all time PERFECT appearance. And that unique centre sweep...absolute CRACKER!!

The BRACELET: With all this recent hype about HOLLOW and SOLID centre links, frankly I see no problem with HOLLOW centre links. I can assure you these links are extremely strong. Each link is additionally reinforced with small spring bars inside to compensate for friction. Seriously, you could hang a 200 pound man from this Oyster Fliplock bracelet and it would HOLD!!

The CLASP: I much prefer this longer 8-hole clasp as compared with the shorter Oysterlock one. Somehow it sits much better on my 7½" wrist, but some may prefer the shorter clasp.

Well, that's about it, guys. In 26 years, this is my FOURTH SS Sub-date. Guess I just keep going back to it, uh?
Thanks for reading, guys - JJ

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2006, 05:25 AM   #2
C.J.
"TRF" Member

As much as I'd like to bash you a bit here, I can't. Great review, tosser
Old 14 October 2006, 05:29 AM   #3
roadcarver
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16600
Good review JJ!

You are sure a poster boy for Rolex!
Old 14 October 2006, 05:38 AM   #4
Goodwatch
"TRF" Member

Watch: the sunrise...
This is no review but Psalm 16610

This is mine, from 2000:

The Submariner Date review

Way back in June 1980 I decided to give my self a little reward for landing a new job. A year earlier, a little story about the launch of a new Cartier, the Santos Dumont, had caught my eye. But I also liked Rolex, for various reasons. To make a long story short, the fact that Cartier offered a very elaborate, lifelong guarantee made me buy it. However, with the purchase of a Rolex model 16610, better known as the Submariner Date in stainless steel I have corrected this error of my ways.

After being on a waiting list for no less than 4 months, I received the phone call that put an enormous smile on my face: “sir, your watch has arrived”. Two days later I managed to take the afternoon off, rush to the bank, get the money and rush to the dealer. Before entering, I took a deep breath, checked my wallet once more and entered. As I enquired a few times about my watch, the saleslady recognised me and asked me to take a seat while she spoke in the intercom (the watches are kept in a vault in the basement of the store), to have my watch send up by a little lift. When she removed the jewel from it’s velvet cloth, my heart raced: finally! It was much better than the picture from the catalogue or any other picture. What a watch! The band was adjusted and a huge sum changed hands, now I was the proud owner of a Submariner. The following is a review from my point of view, but I have tried to keep it as objective as possible. Although most posters here are familiar with Rolex watches, the packaging, etc., I thought it nice to cover everything.

The watch under review is the Rolex Submariner Date, model number 16610. It’s predecessor, the model 6204 was the granddaddy of all diver’s watches, and the model 16610 is the latest incarnation. The watch comes in a green leather box, covered by a cardboard outer box with grey greenish stone design. The latter, off course, is nothing special but I still mention it. Inside the box is the watch on a tan suede like pillow and attached to it are two hang tags, one red stating the watch is a chronometer with a Rolex crown hologram on it and one green stating the serial number (A795XXX), the model number and the band type number (93250). With the watch came an Oyster manual, a Submariner manual, the little anchor and a guarantee/chronometer form in a small green leather wallet, together with the translation of the guarantee. The band is of the new type, with solid end-links! The Submariner manual still mentions the previous band, type 93150. As an extra service I received a 141-page book, titled L’univers des montres.

The watch itself is 12.4 mm thick and the bezel is 40 mm in diameter and is slightly larger than the case. The links are 3.8 mm thick and the watch weighs around 134 grams. Although everyone mentions that the ends of the lugs are sharp, with this watch this is not a problem. Because of the angle of the (solid) end-links and the thickness of the first link, the “sharp” ends of the lugs will never touch your wrist. On the deep black dial, there is “Swiss Made” at the six ‘o clock position. The bezel turns anti-clockwise in half-minute steps. Under the magnifying glass, the Luminova coating inside the markers is spotless and even, and the hands line up perfectly. The bevelled edge of the crystal is polished, so that is feels round to the touch. The date window, however, is plain and undecorated. This, along with the fact that I find the Luminova coating less bright and powerful than Tritium coating is my only point of critique on the dial. The indentations on the bezel are a little rough and the click mechanism causes a little horizontal play, but we must remember this is a diving watch that also has to be operated while wearing gloves.

Over to the band. After removing one of the spring bars, one can clearly see that the end-links are solid. The spring bars are also polished and have one centre tube, so no flimsy telescopic affairs here. The construction of the solid end-links made me believe that a conversion for older models may not be possible. That is because the case has a milled recess between the lugs in which the underside of the links fall flush. (The “ears” are gone). Very clean and neat. The band itself feels heavy and solid and the centre links, although still hollow, are seamless and the material is thick. The clasp is signed with a Rolex crown (as is the winding crown) on the outside and twice with the Rolex logo on the inside. The last links on both sides are attached with screws. The clasp is less flimsy than it looks but still (and now even more) lags behind the band. Although the clasp is purely functional, this is my second point of critique. Why is it so difficult to design a new clasp on a watch in this price range? Perhaps Rolex S.A. feels it’s a tried and tested design and sees no need to change it. Change is good, but no change is better. Underneath the winding crown logo are three dots, meaning it has a TripLock mechanism. The sides of the case, the winding crown, the outer edge of the bezel and the front and sides of the clasp are polished; the rest of the watch is matt. This gives the watch a machine like and technical look, almost that of a surgical instrument. I like it.

The case back is completely void of any marking, as typical for Rolex watches bar one exception. Because I cannot and will not open the watch, there’s nothing to tell about the finish of the movement, the calibre 3135. What did however, surprise me, is the accuracy. At night it seems to lose a few seconds (crown up), but these are won again during daytime. I’ve timed the watch a few days against a DCF clock (atomic time signal receiver), but up to now it’s almost dead on. I hope it stays this way.

Let me finish by an overview, but bear in mind I’m a bit biased.

Pros: strong name, watch will keep it’s value. Classic design, the mould after all sports watches are created. High quality hands and dial and an overall good finish. Very accurate at first glance. Probably a lifetime support by the manufacturer.

Cons: clasp below par, Luminova could be bettered and perhaps a bit pricey to some.

Frans Hens.
Old 14 October 2006, 10:20 AM   #5
Pete
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610/216570
never too late to review the 16610!! im still in the honeymoon phase and judgin by ur ongoing love of it JJ i dont see it ending anytime soon!!!!!

thanks for the review!

Pete
Member #745
RIP JJ "Always in our hearts, and on our wrists"
"I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul"
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2006, 10:30 AM   #6
C.J.
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodwatch View Post
This is no review but Psalm 16610

This is mine, from 200:

The Submariner Date review

Way back in June 1980 I decided to give my self a little reward for landing a new job. A year earlier, a little story about the launch of a new Cartier, the Santos Dumont, had caught my eye. But I also liked Rolex, for various reasons. To make a long story short, the fact that Cartier offered a very elaborate, lifelong guarantee made me buy it. However, with the purchase of a Rolex model 16610, better known as the Submariner Date in stainless steel I have corrected this error of my ways.

After being on a waiting list for no less than 4 months, I received the phone call that put an enormous smile on my face: “sir, your watch has arrived”. Two days later I managed to take the afternoon off, rush to the bank, get the money and rush to the dealer. Before entering, I took a deep breath, checked my wallet once more and entered. As I enquired a few times about my watch, the saleslady recognised me and asked me to take a seat while she spoke in the intercom (the watches are kept in a vault in the basement of the store), to have my watch send up by a little lift. When she removed the jewel from it’s velvet cloth, my heart raced: finally! It was much better than the picture from the catalogue or any other picture. What a watch! The band was adjusted and a huge sum changed hands, now I was the proud owner of a Submariner. The following is a review from my point of view, but I have tried to keep it as objective as possible. Although most posters here are familiar with Rolex watches, the packaging, etc., I thought it nice to cover everything.

The watch under review is the Rolex Submariner Date, model number 16610. It’s predecessor, the model 6204 was the granddaddy of all diver’s watches, and the model 16610 is the latest incarnation. The watch comes in a green leather box, covered by a cardboard outer box with grey greenish stone design. The latter, off course, is nothing special but I still mention it. Inside the box is the watch on a tan suede like pillow and attached to it are two hang tags, one red stating the watch is a chronometer with a Rolex crown hologram on it and one green stating the serial number (A795XXX), the model number and the band type number (93250). With the watch came an Oyster manual, a Submariner manual, the little anchor and a guarantee/chronometer form in a small green leather wallet, together with the translation of the guarantee. The band is of the new type, with solid end-links! The Submariner manual still mentions the previous band, type 93150. As an extra service I received a 141-page book, titled L’univers des montres.

The watch itself is 12.4 mm thick and the bezel is 40 mm in diameter and is slightly larger than the case. The links are 3.8 mm thick and the watch weighs around 134 grams. Although everyone mentions that the ends of the lugs are sharp, with this watch this is not a problem. Because of the angle of the (solid) end-links and the thickness of the first link, the “sharp” ends of the lugs will never touch your wrist. On the deep black dial, there is “Swiss Made” at the six ‘o clock position. The bezel turns anti-clockwise in half-minute steps. Under the magnifying glass, the Luminova coating inside the markers is spotless and even, and the hands line up perfectly. The bevelled edge of the crystal is polished, so that is feels round to the touch. The date window, however, is plain and undecorated. This, along with the fact that I find the Luminova coating less bright and powerful than Tritium coating is my only point of critique on the dial. The indentations on the bezel are a little rough and the click mechanism causes a little horizontal play, but we must remember this is a diving watch that also has to be operated while wearing gloves.

Over to the band. After removing one of the spring bars, one can clearly see that the end-links are solid. The spring bars are also polished and have one centre tube, so no flimsy telescopic affairs here. The construction of the solid end-links made me believe that a conversion for older models may not be possible. That is because the case has a milled recess between the lugs in which the underside of the links fall flush. (The “ears” are gone). Very clean and neat. The band itself feels heavy and solid and the centre links, although still hollow, are seamless and the material is thick. The clasp is signed with a Rolex crown (as is the winding crown) on the outside and twice with the Rolex logo on the inside. The last links on both sides are attached with screws. The clasp is less flimsy than it looks but still (and now even more) lags behind the band. Although the clasp is purely functional, this is my second point of critique. Why is it so difficult to design a new clasp on a watch in this price range? Perhaps Rolex S.A. feels it’s a tried and tested design and sees no need to change it. Change is good, but no change is better. Underneath the winding crown logo are three dots, meaning it has a TripLock mechanism. The sides of the case, the winding crown, the outer edge of the bezel and the front and sides of the clasp are polished; the rest of the watch is matt. This gives the watch a machine like and technical look, almost that of a surgical instrument. I like it.

The case back is completely void of any marking, as typical for Rolex watches bar one exception. Because I cannot and will not open the watch, there’s nothing to tell about the finish of the movement, the calibre 3135. What did however, surprise me, is the accuracy. At night it seems to lose a few seconds (crown up), but these are won again during daytime. I’ve timed the watch a few days against a DCF clock (atomic time signal receiver), but up to now it’s almost dead on. I hope it stays this way.

Let me finish by an overview, but bear in mind I’m a bit biased.

Pros: strong name, watch will keep it’s value. Classic design, the mould after all sports watches are created. High quality hands and dial and an overall good finish. Very accurate at first glance. Probably a lifetime support by the manufacturer.

Cons: clasp below par, Luminova could be bettered and perhaps a bit pricey to some.

Frans Hens.
I've seen this one before. And it's still a great read
Old 14 October 2006, 02:43 PM   #7
mike
"TRF" Member

I can always read great reviews about a GREAT watch!!
mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2006, 03:23 PM   #8
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike View Post
I can always read great reviews about a GREAT watch!!

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
Old 14 October 2006, 06:48 PM   #9
mailman
TRF Moderator & DATE-JUST41 2024 Patron

Watch: 126610LN
That's a great review JJ
Old 15 October 2006, 02:14 AM   #10
Rockrolex
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: What do you think?
Great reviews, both of you. Thanks for sharing.

Tosser Cabinet Member

Official Member: 'Perpetual 30' Vegas International GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2018
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2019
Rockrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2006, 03:47 AM   #11
Prince
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona/Sub/GMT/DJ
Excellent review of a classic watch. Thanks, JJ (and Frans for the re-post).
Old 15 October 2006, 03:50 AM   #12
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Thanks all!! Yes, the 16610 is probably a must in any collection!!

Old 15 October 2006, 05:04 AM   #13
Goodwatch
"TRF" Member

Watch: the sunrise...
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Irani View Post
Thanks all!! Yes, the 16610 is probably a must in any collection!!

So it would be safe to say we like the 16610?

Old 15 October 2006, 03:00 PM   #14
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:

Old 15 October 2006, 09:54 PM   #15
Prince
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona/Sub/GMT/DJ
Quote:

LMAO - Fantastic, Frans!!!
Old 13 November 2006, 08:56 AM   #16
dff3

Watch: 1978 Explorer II
Thanks for the great review JJ. Over the years you just can't have a love affrair with Rolex without that damn handsome 16610.

There's something so simply classic about it. It just always has that sense of rightness.
dff3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2006, 06:27 PM   #17
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Originally Posted by dff3 View Post
Thanks for the great review JJ. Over the years you just can't have a love affrair with Rolex without that damn handsome 16610.

There's something so simply classic about it. It just always has that sense of rightness.
Thanks, David....and a very big welcome to TRF!! Hope you enjoy your stay here, pal!!

Old 20 September 2007, 11:29 AM   #18
unclesallie
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: keystone pocket
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Irani View Post
Hi guys,

What can I say about the superlative 16610 - or more popularly known as the SS Sub-date?

I've had my baby on now for just over 8 months and, knowing how anal I am about accuracy and performance, I am absolutely overjoyed to announce that this watch has NEVER let me down in this department!!

Even as I type this message, the watch is virtually spot-on!! Everything they say about the amazing 3135 movement is true - very true!!! Yes, there are much better finished and more attractive movements out there...and from some of the finest watch manufacturing Swiss firms in the world!! Those movements, in fact, are so beautiful, they deserve a transparent caseback.

However, with the 3135 movement, there's really NOTHING to see in terms of beauty and finesse. It's a bloody workhorse...and that's exactly what it's been designed to do. So Rolex never make any watch with transparent casebacks. Their movements have been designed to be heard and appreciated...NOT watched (no pun intended!! )

The CASE: Massive and very solid. Love the no-holes on the sides look! Gives it a nice smooth kinda continuity. Crown guards are perfectly designed to hug the massive TRIPLOCK crown. Size of 40 mm is perfect for virtually most wrist sizes - not too big and not too small!!

The CRYSTAL: Whereas the older models had their crystals sitting very high up on the top of the case, this one is virtually flush with the bezel and with only a very, very slight and negligible height difference. Solid, massive crystal designed to easily take water pressures at a depth of 1000+ feet of water!!

The CROWN: Love the TRIPLOCK crown, its largeness and the feel of its ultra-smooth winding mechanism. The added 'O-ring' around the stem gives you just that extra assurance that this baby can go down to virtually any depth YOU can possibly take it down to.

The BEZEL: Never had any problems with it. Hardly ever use it except perhaps sometimes at parking meters when I go downtown. Clicks through 120 stops for one complete counter-clockwise rotation. I'm happy with that!!

The DIAL: Now we come to the most aesthetically important part of any watch. This dial is black...and I do mean BLACK.....a total negation of all colours!! And that's what BLACK's all about!! NO COLOURS!! The standard size markers and hands are perfectly suited for this all time classic and, I'm afraid, a maxi dial and hands on this beauty would just about ruin its all time PERFECT appearance. And that unique centre sweep...absolute CRACKER!!

The BRACELET: With all this recent hype about HOLLOW and SOLID centre links, frankly I see no problem with HOLLOW centre links. I can assure you these links are extremely strong. Each link is additionally reinforced with small spring bars inside to compensate for friction. Seriously, you could hang a 200 pound man from this Oyster Fliplock bracelet and it would HOLD!!

The CLASP: I much prefer this longer 8-hole clasp as compared with the shorter Oysterlock one. Somehow it sits much better on my 7˝" wrist, but some may prefer the shorter clasp.

Well, that's about it, guys. In 26 years, this is my FOURTH SS Sub-date. Guess I just keep going back to it, uh?
Thanks for reading, guys - JJ
You have said it much better than me, and I love my new SS Sub date, black dial. Keeps virtually perfect time. Not sure if I like that or my Explorer II, SS, white dial more....I guess a toss up.
Amazing.
unclesallie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2007, 01:46 PM   #19
aanthunter7

Watch: Rolex TT Sub
GREAT Job with both reviews
aanthunter7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2007, 10:40 PM   #20
cully
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Daytona
Thanks JJ for a great review of a classic watch.
Paul
cully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2007, 03:54 AM   #21
dallasdan
"TRF" Member

Great reviews. I've owned my 16610 for 5 months and it gets better every day.
Omega Seamaster 120
dallasdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2007, 08:43 AM   #22
T5AUS
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the time go by
Great review JJ, it all helps to paint the bigger picture on these works of art.
How about one of your excellent photo's of it.
T5AUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2007, 12:28 AM   #23
Boopie
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
Great review

Great review!

I am considering talking my father in law into getting a black face SS Sub for my husband and his brother. I know my husband would love one, but my brother in law is one of those guys who never, ever wears a watch (he's in the tech industry). One thing I love about a Rolex is that it's a premium watch that is durable enough to wear every day.
Boopie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2007, 06:35 AM   #24
unclesallie
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: keystone pocket
Yeah. JJ, I'd like to take a shot, but I agree with just about everything you've said(don't have technical info about the aesthetics of the movement). The Sub Date has a classic understated beauty and dignity to it, and you've about said it all. Cheers!
Dan
unclesallie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2008, 04:51 AM   #25
boon626
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Great Reviews.

I'm still in a waiting list on local AD.Seems like a long wait for me BUT I think it's all worth while.
boon626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2008, 07:19 AM   #26
frostie
1,000,000th PostMember

It's never late for a good review. Even though the thread is really old i find the review good.
frostie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2008, 08:23 AM   #27
Welshwatchman
"TRF" Member

Great review, JJ.

Sounds like a keeper.
Old 13 January 2008, 05:02 AM   #28
FanFromLakeMary

Great review JJ - your attention to detail highlights some of the finer points of the Sub.

Not to hijack the thread, but my first Rolex is the GMT II 16710 with the 3135 movement. I thought this movement was designed for the GMT to quick-set the hour hand...is this functionality also available in the Sub? Or is this somehow limited to the GMT?
FanFromLakeMary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2008, 03:45 PM   #29
Jedi
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16750
The 16610 is strictly a time and seconds only watch, powered by the 3035 movement, which is also to be found in the YM and SD models. The hour quickset function is an added feature to the movement, hence the Caliber number 3135, and this movement is to be found powering the 16750 Explorer II and 16710 GMT II.
Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2008, 03:48 PM   #30
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediSubExII View Post
The 16610 is strictly a time and seconds only watch, powered by the 3035 movement, which is also to be found in the YM and SD models. The hour quickset function is an added feature to the movement, hence the Caliber number 3135, and this movement is to be found powering the 16750 Explorer II and 16710 GMT II.

The Exp-II and GMT-II are powered by the calibre 3185 movement.