The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 22 February 2013, 01:04 AM   #1
unknown
"TRF" Member

for once .... why not ? .... THE INVESTMENT THREAD !

Hell yeah, forbidden on most sites because most sites claim that watches are lousy investments

And in 90 or 95 % of the cases they are right. Buy something new and you will loose money if you sell it after 6 months.

But we know there are exceptions....

Can you name a few watches which will rise more than the average in the next 3 till 5 years ?

It would be nice if you can give us examples of watches that are not too difficult to get today. I mean, don't start about overhyped limited editions from Panerai, and don't tell us you think a Patek 5131 might be a good buy LOL

How about some specific vintage pieces? Once agian, forget about Rolex and Panerai. These are already SERIOUSLY overpriced.... We're looking for those unknown hidden treasures ...

Could be an interesting discussion....
Old 22 February 2013, 02:47 AM   #2
jerseyden
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown View Post
Hell yeah, forbidden on most sites because most sites claim that watches are lousy investments

And in 90 or 95 % of the cases they are right. Buy something new and you will loose money if you sell it after 6 months.

But we know there are exceptions....

Can you name a few watches which will rise more than the average in the next 3 till 5 years ?

It would be nice if you can give us examples of watches that are not too difficult to get today. I mean, don't start about overhyped limited editions from Panerai, and don't tell us you think a Patek 5131 might be a good buy LOL

How about some specific vintage pieces? Once agian, forget about Rolex and Panerai. These are already SERIOUSLY overpriced.... We're looking for those unknown hidden treasures ...

Could be an interesting discussion....
And can you give me the winner of next Saturday's 2.30 at Newmarket?
jerseyden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2013, 03:44 AM   #3
salem65
"TRF" Member

Watch: JS Watch co. 101
Fossil... anything from Fossil is your best modern watch investment

Seriously, no one knows the future, especially as to what would be a guaranteed good investment. Usually, when something is speculated to increase in value, it doesn't.

About the only value in watches that will be guaranteed to increase, is their sentimental value to you. Good luck trying to sell that to someone.
Old 22 February 2013, 05:12 AM   #4
capote
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570
I think vintage Omegas could really increase in value as a side effect of modern Omega stepping up. Vintage Zeniths are also very cheap, could see an increase in price too.
capote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2013, 05:55 AM   #5
Rodentman
Banned

I know this isn't why you asked, but I'll say that I buy what I like and don't care about resale value. Car, watch, whatever.

No intense offended toward the OP or anyone else, but the whole concept of buying something to "flip it" for a profit is distasteful to me.

Now there are people who buy old wrecked cars, restore them to various degrees, and sell them, and I don't have a problem with the "value added" element.
Rodentman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2013, 06:46 AM   #6
shafran
"TRF" Member

rising value

From what I have seen, Patek, Rolex and Panerai have all risen in value over the last few years. Who can predict the future?
shafran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2013, 07:07 AM   #7
ducatidoc
"TRF" Member

Watch: zenith
Honestly, the only material assets that I have seen "rise" in value over the years are fine violin-family instruments. I bought a cello in '07 and sold it in '12 at a 40% profit, not too bad considering the lousy economy. Watches of any make, I would tend to say no.

# 26371
NAWCC Member
ducatidoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2013, 01:21 PM   #8
skypilot
"TRF" Member

I've been buying solid gold Accutron tuning fork watches for a few years and believe I could turn a profit on them.
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2013, 02:12 PM   #9
tinger
"TRF" Member

http://www.cnbc.com/id/45399387/Time...Luxury_Watches
tinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2013, 12:29 PM   #10
p_mcgee
"TRF" Member

If I can resell a watch with a loss of less than 10% I consider it a win. Not exactly strong investment performance there.
p_mcgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2013, 07:29 AM   #11
powerfunk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1530
I like to buy watches that I personally find undervalued. To be clear, I don't primarily view my watches as an "investment" but I do, like many humans, take a certain enjoyment in getting a "deal" on something others don't fully appreciate. If some of my watches appreciate, I'll feel smart; but if they don't, that's fine too as I bought them to wear them.

Seek out something that is quality + rare + unpopular and wait for the unpopular part to change. In any case, kudos to the OP for bringing up this inexplicably unpopular topic. I'll play; here are some watches I think have a good chance of appreciating:

-Non-40mm Tudor Subs (Lady, Mini, and midsize Subs)
-Tudor Date+Days
-Root Beer GMT's
-TT Daytona
-Vintage Grand Seikos

When people scoff at "investing" in watches they usually present an investment-banker perspective and look at it in terms of annual yield. But I think as an extremely long-term low-risk investment, a Rolex (or other certain high-end watch) isn't laughable. If bought properly (i.e. secondhand or discounted), I don't think a Rolex is likely to lose more than 25% of its value vs. inflation, ever, at most. There are a lot more volatile things to invest in, and cash loses 95% of its value every 100 years!
powerfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2013, 02:48 PM   #12
sparky
"TRF" Member

Watch: explorer
I think a good way is to know the price of what you like, and then buy when you find it priced low. Here, for example, are 2 Hamiltons I bought las weekend for $1k each:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN8421.jpg (102.5 KB, 104 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN8420.jpg (125.3 KB, 103 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN8418.jpg (104.9 KB, 103 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN8417.jpg (107.2 KB, 104 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN8416.jpg (101.2 KB, 103 views)
sparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2013, 02:51 PM   #13
sparky
"TRF" Member

Watch: explorer
Here's the other one (both are model 22):
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN8427.jpg (111.1 KB, 102 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN8426.jpg (114.4 KB, 100 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN8425.jpg (126.4 KB, 100 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN8424.jpg (109.9 KB, 100 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN8423.jpg (135.2 KB, 100 views)
sparky is offline   Reply With Quote