The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12 December 2019, 12:44 AM   #1
BDL
2024 Pledge Member

2020 1-Watch Only Challenge

Seeing Jack’s story of wearing the same 1803 for 50 years got me thinking about an experiment of wearing only one watch, everyday in 2020. Call it a horological New Year’s resolution.

I have narrowed the field to a Rolex No Date Sub 114060 and an Audemars Piguet 25682BA Quantieme Perpetuel. Really different watches.

The rules would be simple. Starting January 1, wear a watch everyday for the whole year. Strap changes allowed.

I’ll state up front this is also driven by the fact I can’t keep both of these, one has to go.

I’ll start with the No Date Sub-

Pros: Perfect daily wearer. It is 100% worry free, tough as nails and weather/activity proof.

It is also automatic so it is ready to roll every morning. The balance of the dial of the No Date is what I love most. It also is a wink and nod to other watch folks that you have been on a journey. You can know very little about watches, and make a wise and valid choice to get a Date Sub to mark an occasion or buy “a nice watch”, but in my opinion you don’t just stumble on getting a No Date.

You are choosing historical reference and dial balance over the convenience of having a date function. Real watch nerd stuff. It’s one real complication, a timing bezel has real world functionality that can not be ignored.

Short version: it is beautiful in its simplicity.

Cons: While there are not many, compared to the AP this is a bit more cliché. Imagine you are waiting for a flight and see someone wearing a 114060 on a NATO strap. Here is what would pop into my head....this person knows a thing or two about watches and more than likely would be willing to strike up a enjoyable non pretentious conversation about the subject. To folks that do no care or know much about watches, they might simplify things down to the Rolex script and make certain conclusions...good, bad or indifferent.

Now for the AP-

Pros: Let’s go back to that hypothetical airport and you see someone wearing what looks like a Cartier tank or a JLC Reverso but you can quite tell. It puzzles you so you look closer and realize you don’t know what the heck this is. Non watch folks have have only realized it is not an Apple Watch and gone back to checking Instagram. If you decide to ask, you find out it is a AP Perpetual Calendar Moonphase in a tank case. Bizarre. As I mentioned earlier you have to go down a watch rabbit hole to land on a No Date Sub, you have gotten to the bottom and attended a Mad Tea party or two to end up with this strange object on your wrist.

Unique is an understatement.

I also love gold. My class ring and wedding ring are gold, and it has a warmth and charm for me personally as my late father loved it as well. I’ll mention one last Pro...AP’s customer service. This watch has a double digit serial number (not a typo). The original papers are blank, including the case and reference number. I called AP in Clearwater, FL and the person on the phone could not have been more helpful. She explained for $250 they will extract the paperwork and give me a new set. Amazing. She also sent me info on all the straps I could order and offered to send me a shipping kit to get the papers and anything else I wanted done. A+ AP.

Cons: While I tend to wear my watches without worry, a precious metal Perpetual Calendar is not a Sub. Wearing it everyday seems a bit scary. I also worry about my assumption that this will fly below the radar (very important to me) it is gold and I might be wrong about that. I also worry about wearing a leather strap everyday in rain, in and out of a golf bag, playing with my kids and dog. I also might be dead wrong about this being a concern, it is just unfamiliar territory for me.

Last, this is a manual. While winding everyday can be called poetic by some it might just be a pain.

I really want to give the 2020 1-watch challenge a go. But as you can tell I have not finished the conversation in my own head. Writing this out is perhaps a part of me working that out.

I welcome anyone’s thoughts and wish everyone a Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays and a Happy New Year.

Be in good health.

-BDL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BDL is offline   Reply With Quote