The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 18 February 2019, 04:36 AM   #1
ravenhome777
"TRF" Member

brevet watches

Has anyone looked at the brevet watches website? To me, these watches look too good to be true, yet he's selling them at slightly below vintage level watch prices. Those chamfers looks brand new. They must be replacement cases. I wonder if those are reproduction dials as well. He's on chrono24 which seems a bit odd because I thought they were supposed to vet all their sellers thoroughly.

http://brevetwatches.com/
ravenhome777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2019, 04:46 AM   #2
roh123
"TRF" Member

Watch: Gilt Rolex
He’s legit and been around for years. Can’t browse their current inventory as my in-flight wifi seems to hate that website but they are for real and usually have very good pieces.
Old 18 February 2019, 05:02 AM   #3
ravenhome777
"TRF" Member

Really? The chamfers on these watches really give me pause. To be honest, I would consider purchasing a watch like that if it could be certified somehow, but something is telling me these watches are questionable. They look too new.

This would be my first Rolex purchase (beside a bubbleback I bought awhile ago and returned). How could I certify that this Rolex is legit? Is there an expert in the New England area I could go to for an opinion? I'm happy to pay for their time.

I don't want to spend 10k and find out I got taken for a ride.
Old 18 February 2019, 05:37 AM   #4
roh123
"TRF" Member

Post some pics and I’m sure we can help. Recut cases are common these days.
Old 18 February 2019, 06:49 AM   #5
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

You should post a link or photo to a specific watch. I just looked at that website and there's no way I could make a general comment about the condition or price of all his watches.
Old 18 February 2019, 07:07 AM   #6
MorningTundra
"TRF" Member

brevet watches

This one looks milled to me. Ghost bezel, patina dial and NOS chamfers...

https://www.brevetwatches.de/watches...mk1-maxi-dial/

That being said, it’s a nice looking watch.

Sent from my cracked, broken hand wound phone. IG @morning_tundra
MorningTundra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2019, 07:46 AM   #7
exador
Banned

Some of the cases have been recut; no big deal if you like the look.

Not sure where you're seeing the "slightly below vintage level watch prices" though. Most of the watches are Price on Demand.

exador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2019, 07:50 AM   #8
05carbondrz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorningTundra View Post
This one looks milled to me. Ghost bezel, patina dial and NOS chamfers...

https://www.brevetwatches.de/watches...mk1-maxi-dial/

That being said, it’s a nice looking watch.

100% that’s a recut case.I would never consider buying anything from someone who lies about a Watch being “NOS Untouched”.People here always complain that unpolished Watches Don’t exist...Now how many brand new never touched 40yr Old Watches are out there? And a NOS Watch with no box or papers?
05carbondrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2019, 07:59 AM   #9
roh123
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05carbondrz View Post
100% that’s a recut case.I would never consider buying anything from someone who lies about a Watch being “NOS Untouched”.People here always complain that unpolished Watches Don’t exist...Now how many brand new never touched 40yr Old Watches are out there? And a NOS Watch with no box or papers?
NOS untouched? Am I missing something?
Old 18 February 2019, 09:31 AM   #10
ravenhome777
"TRF" Member

Sorry. Newbie here. What does NOS stand for?

I didn't realize you could recut the chamfer. If you can recut the chamfer, then why do people make such a big deal if a watch was polished? You can just send it out and get a new chamfer put on. Seems like that fixes that problem. I guess I could see if they're concerned about loss of metal or something. But you'd probably need to pull out a pair of calipers to notice that a 1/2mm is missing.

I think the pic posted above was the watch I was looking at. That has a really nice chamfer. It looked so nice it made me think it was a replacement case.
Old 18 February 2019, 09:45 AM   #11
ravenhome777
"TRF" Member

I was also looking at this Tudor. I mistakenly thought this was Brevet, but it's actually posted by a seller in Bologna:
https://www.chrono24.com/tudor/subma...-id7102162.htm
Old 18 February 2019, 09:46 AM   #12
Cryten
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenhome777 View Post
Sorry. Newbie here. What does NOS stand for?

I didn't realize you could recut the chamfer. If you can recut the chamfer, then why do people make such a big deal if a watch was polished? You can just send it out and get a new chamfer put on. Seems like that fixes that problem. I guess I could see if they're concerned about loss of metal or something. But you'd probably need to pull out a pair of calipers to notice that a 1/2mm is missing.

I think the pic posted above was the watch I was looking at. That has a really nice chamfer. It looked so nice it made me think it was a replacement case.
NOS = New Old Stock

Putting chamfers on isn't the issue. It's the loss of metal in each polish, after a few polishes (or a bad polish) it becomes very obvious. A skilled person can make a bad watch look good, but they can't put metal back on. With a bit of experience looking at watches you'll notice it every time. Uneven lugs, circus mirror case sides and lug hole position and shape are dead giveaways.
Cryten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2019, 10:17 AM   #13
mattedialdoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryten View Post
NOS = New Old Stock

Putting chamfers on isn't the issue. It's the loss of metal in each polish, after a few polishes (or a bad polish) it becomes very obvious. A skilled person can make a bad watch look good, but they can't put metal back on. With a bit of experience looking at watches you'll notice it every time. Uneven lugs, circus mirror case sides and lug hole position and shape are dead giveaways.

They sure as hell can put metal back on. All day everyday. There are several guys around the world doing this with amazing results. Our own Mike Hui/Rolliworks is a wizard with laser welding and can build up lugs and recut chamfers.

------
Instagram: @mattedialdoc
mattedialdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2019, 10:25 AM   #14
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I didn't realize you could recut the chamfer. If you can recut the chamfer, then why do people make such a big deal if a watch was polished? You can just send it out and get a new chamfer put on. Seems like that fixes that problem.
A recut case isn't original.
Old 18 February 2019, 10:27 AM   #15
Hub6152
Banned

I’ve been following this seller and have my doubts about several watches he’s listed with inaccurate or incomplete descriptions. He’s currently got a few 6605’s that appear to have reprinted dials yet nothing in the description is mentioned about them other than being in very good condition. I’d also sent a message asking about the dial on a 5504 he had listed which was never answered.
Hub6152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2019, 12:41 PM   #16
ravenhome777
"TRF" Member

I've been looking at some of the fakes they have out there today, and they are VERY good. Being a newbie at this, I think I could get duped pretty easily. There should be like Rolex buying consultants or something.
Old 18 February 2019, 01:26 PM   #17
MorningTundra
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I've been looking at some of the fakes they have out there today, and they are VERY good. Being a newbie at this, I think I could get duped pretty easily. There should be like Rolex buying consultants or something.

They’re called gray dealers offering concierge services- they’ll find you what you’re looking for and assure authenticity. For a fee of course.

Old 18 February 2019, 05:44 PM   #18
ravenhome777
"TRF" Member

Interesting. Thanks for mentioning that. I'll google this service.

I guess there are really different levels of authenticity. As long as the case and dial are authentic, does that mean it's authentic? If that hands have been replaced, does that mean it's still authentic. What if everything is authentic with the exception of the pearl. I guess it comes down to how much of a purist you are. And your bank roll.
Old 18 February 2019, 06:51 PM   #19
blacke90
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP||Panerai||Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by 05carbondrz View Post

Where are you seeing NOS??
blacke90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2019, 06:59 PM   #20
blacke90
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP||Panerai||Rolex
Quote:
Has anyone looked at the brevet watches website? To me, these watches look too good to be true, yet he's selling them at slightly below vintage level watch prices. Those chamfers looks brand new. They must be replacement cases. I wonder if those are reproduction dials as well. He's on chrono24 which seems a bit odd because I thought they were supposed to vet all their sellers thoroughly.

http://brevetwatches.com/

I recommend you read up on the works done by ABC, LA Watchwerks, and Rocco which may use a Lapping machine. You can see these guys and their craftsmanships can bring overly polished case to the way the MFG intended to be from the beginning.

You can see the before and after pics here as well by Rocco (he’s in UK) using Lapping machine:

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...n-page-3/page2
blacke90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2019, 10:23 PM   #21
MorningTundra
"TRF" Member

brevet watches

Quote:
I guess there are really different levels of authenticity. As long as the case and dial are authentic, does that mean it's authentic? If that hands have been replaced, does that mean it's still authentic. What if everything is authentic with the exception of the pearl. I guess it comes down to how much of a purist you are. And your bank roll.

Authenticity isn’t the same as Originality.

“All original NOS” being the pinnacle of Originality.

“Exclusive RSC service history” is probably your best guarantee of Authenticity.

Both have shades of grey...

If a vintage watch has its refinished dial replaced with an unrestored one from a donor watch, is it original or authentic? What if it also has non-Rolex consumables (like barrel spring, crystal, crown tube, gaskets and a host of other movement parts)?

What if the Official RSC has serviced and upgraded your vintage watch (as they like to do) with new dial, hands, crown etc? Original, no. Authentic, kinda....

What if you come across a Franken that is period correct, catalog configuration and made of only genuine Rolex parts from donor watches...??

Old 18 February 2019, 10:46 PM   #22
ravenhome777
"TRF" Member

Is it still considered a Franken if it has NOS?

What does RSC stand for?
Old 19 February 2019, 06:29 PM   #23
Mark020
"TRF" Member

Are you sure you know what you are talking about?

RSC = Rolex Service Center i.e. official Rolex watchmaker
Mark020 is offline   Reply With Quote