The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Breitling Discussion Forum

Old 22 November 2017, 04:37 PM   #1
breitlings
Banned

Watch: Apple TV
Is everyone a breitling hater till they own one?

my first watch was an omega and quite frankly I thought breitling was an inferior brand. i found them to be expensive and the ADs abrasive.

i was given an Breitling colt by my parents upon my sisters wedding. truth be told i thought it was a beautiful tough watch but too small. so i wore it with some disdain. i was almost purposefully rough with it. taking it on every college adventure. i found it held up very well and drew positive attention even though i didn’t like it as much as a sub or smp. i grew to love the brand perhaps because i didnt have enough for rolexes until my late 20s. i bought a chronomat, a blackbird big date, and an avenger gmt ii. although i like rolex more i found i was allergic to 904l steel, which allowed certain five digit models and PM. I think rolex movements and wat hes may be a bit tougher but i have grown to appreciate the fine qualities of a breitling, their build and beauty has made me a fan of the brand. i have wondered am i the only reluctant breitling fan. are there others who had or perhaps have disdain for the brand but the watches grew on them based on quality?
breitlings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2017, 04:42 PM   #2
Andad
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Do yo have a pix of this model so I can decide if I hate it?

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2017, 04:43 PM   #3
Andad
2024 Pledge Member

I did google it but not sure if I found this particular model.

Old 22 November 2017, 04:44 PM   #4
AF_Rob
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub/Polar/OP/BB
See your point, to an extent. Breitling was my second step through my luxury watch journey. As I have gotten older, I lean towards smaller watches and more conservative designs, which pushed me out of the brand. Rolex, Omega and JLC is my current lineup.
AF_Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2017, 07:02 PM   #5
arcadelt
"TRF" Member

Is everyone a breitling hater till they own one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AF_Rob View Post
As I have gotten older, I lean towards smaller watches and more conservative designs...

What, you mean like this?

Edit:

man the mobile experience on some of these forums is becoming tedious.

arcadelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2017, 07:14 PM   #6
Andad
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcadelt View Post
What, you mean like this?

No pix H?

Old 22 November 2017, 07:40 PM   #7
arcadelt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by directioneng View Post
No pix H?

Showing up fine on Tapatalk.

Edit:

Now showing up on the website too.
Old 22 November 2017, 08:54 PM   #8
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

I really like Breitling. I used to have one, but in time I decided it was too busy of a dial for me. It was still an outstanding and quality watch though. I appreciate the brand still but I don't currently plan to add another in the future.

It really bothers me though that they are selling inaccurate world time watches which is my main complaint with them as they don't seem to care. Moscow is UTC +3, not UTC +4 as shown on the dial. It changed in 2014 and they are still selling watches with the outdated time zones. Basically models introduced after 2014 have updated dials (the TT version) and models released before 2014 but still in production have not been updated to reflect this. Mine was already wrong when i bought it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7182.jpg (113.0 KB, 585 views)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2017, 01:59 AM   #9
NothingToSeeHere
"TRF" Member

I get a lot more compliments with my breitling than I do with my Rolex. I think Rolex are So common people don’t really notice them. I’ve also noticed old guys with Rolex who aren’t watch guys (just wanted an expensive watch) disproportionately compliment my breitling, not even knowing about the brand prior.
NothingToSeeHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2017, 11:51 AM   #10
FeelingTheBlues
"TRF" Member

Watch: If you wish...
I think it has a lot to do with the prejudice you get from the stereotypical Breitling owner. I was not a hater but had heard of the reputation of their watches and the image they give to their owner until I read more about them and actually spoke to people who owned them. I now have two and saving for my third one.

Mind you, I think there is a similar problem currently with brands like Rolex, Panerai, Audemars Piguet and, lately, Patek Philippe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NothingToSeeHere View Post
I get a lot more compliments with my breitling than I do with my Rolex. I think Rolex are So common people don’t really notice them. I’ve also noticed old guys with Rolex who aren’t watch guys (just wanted an expensive watch) disproportionately compliment my breitling, not even knowing about the brand prior.
The watch I got the most compliments on is my Cosmonaute, I was actually quite surprised.
On va hisser le drapeau blanc un point c'est tout.

- André Fortin
FeelingTheBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2017, 12:21 PM   #11
arcadelt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelingTheBlues View Post
The watch I got the most compliments on is my Cosmonaute, I was actually quite surprised.

Pre- or post-Schneider takeover?
Old 23 November 2017, 11:20 PM   #12
FeelingTheBlues
"TRF" Member

Watch: If you wish...
Quote:
Originally Posted by arcadelt View Post
Pre- or post-Schneider takeover?
I have an 809, it's pre-Schneider.
On va hisser le drapeau blanc un point c'est tout.

- André Fortin
FeelingTheBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2017, 11:44 PM   #13
squeaks376
"TRF" Member

Watch: LV Sub
Yes, I hated them until I owned one. Always thought they were way too big and busy. Then I saw the Superocean Heritage and fell for that simple dial. Now looking at navitimers.....
squeaks376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2017, 11:54 PM   #14
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Navitimer World was my first high end watch coming from TAGs. I’ve always liked breitling. Also they were making good bracelets when Rolex was making tin cans. I have to say when I held a breitling compared to a 5 digit Rolex back then, the breitling felt more well built.
Old 23 November 2017, 11:57 PM   #15
Robbmill
"TRF" Member

I have several Rolex and a few Breitlings. I often find myself gravitating towards the Breitlings. My Breitling Superocean Heritage Chronograph with blue face and black bezel is gorgeous....add on the mesh bracelet and it looks amazing. I think there is room for a Breitling or two in everyone's collection.
Robbmill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2017, 02:08 AM   #16
andromeda160
Banned

Watch: Rolex Oyster
quite the opposite for me, before I owned any fine watches I was a member of the Breitling forums, I perused there for years, when I was 18 I was ready to spring for my first fine watch, I had always seen midsize Rolexes used, for the same price as I could get a decent used breitling at the time. I looked at 20 year old breitlings though and saw how they aged, and they didn't age anywhere near as well as rolex. When I found my first Rolex I would've never guessed it was 40 years old. I've worn it for 5 years and it still doesn't seem to have aged a day. they're timeless. and that's why I don't own a breitling, because I don't see myself wearing one for a lifetime like I do my first Rolex.
andromeda160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2017, 02:43 AM   #17
triumphrox
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Master II
Although I find a lot of Breitlings to be too chunky or too busy, I think there will always be room in my collection for my Aerospace.
Resize.jpg
triumphrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2017, 09:23 AM   #18
drfaulkner
"TRF" Member

Watch: Expl II, TT DJII
Many of the Breitling models a very busy/complicated, but they have a few that are simple/elegant, such as this one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Breitling TO 20May16.JPG (106.6 KB, 502 views)
drfaulkner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2017, 09:03 PM   #19
Jagsie
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN,126660-JC
I always found then to be too busy also. I went for my Superocean 44 due to its plainness, and the aerospace definitely would be my next Breitling.

Just as a side question, how long does the Aerospace battery last?
Jagsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2017, 11:26 AM   #20
mcorliss
"TRF" Member

One of my favorite watches was a Chrono Cockpit until leaving Breitling for a Rolex Submariner that was purchased when sending the Breitling out for cleaning. Later on, after selling the Chrono Cockpit, I did purchase a TransOcean Chrono...a beautiful, totally under appreciated watch. Most of the other models do tend to be slightly on the flashy side, but I did get lots of compliments on it though.
mcorliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2017, 10:22 AM   #21
breitlings
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by directioneng View Post
Do yo have a pix of this model so I can decide if I hate it?
this is a picture of my second breitling.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg B850534F-B478-4281-92FD-E4D880B6039D.jpeg (75.5 KB, 420 views)
Old 2 December 2017, 10:23 AM   #22
breitlings
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcorliss View Post
One of my favorite watches was a Chrono Cockpit until leaving Breitling for a Rolex Submariner that was purchased when sending the Breitling out for cleaning. Later on, after selling the Chrono Cockpit, I did purchase a TransOcean Chrono...a beautiful, totally under appreciated watch. Most of the other models do tend to be slightly on the flashy side, but I did get lots of compliments on it though.
chrono cockpit is the evolution of the original chronomat i believe.
Old 4 December 2017, 01:19 AM   #23
gtopaul
"TRF" Member

Cockpit

Although the Aerospace is my favorite after owning over 20 of them, this Cockpit came to me a few weeks ago and I love the size and elegance of it. Probably more for the shirt & tie crowd but still a likeable piece.

gtopaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2017, 06:42 AM   #24
polaris72
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtopaul View Post
Although the Aerospace is my favorite after owning over 20 of them, this Cockpit came to me a few weeks ago and I love the size and elegance of it. Probably more for the shirt & tie crowd but still a likeable piece.

Very nice piece, love that digital date dial.
polaris72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2017, 11:36 AM   #25
71truck
"TRF" Member

My first good watch was a Breitling Superocean Steelfish. I always thought Breitling watches had more character than Rolex. I like a watch that has a look that not everyone was trying to copy on their watches. I also like the look of Omega watches that have orange bezels.
71truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2017, 02:29 PM   #26
eas
"TRF" Member

It's taken a long time for me to come around on Breitlings, but now having one, I do appreciate the brand. As Rolex, Omega, Panerai fan, I think there's room in most collections for a Breitling.
eas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2017, 08:49 AM   #27
Rp930
"TRF" Member

Just sold one that was too blingy for me but I love my Aerospace Evo.

Problem is I bought a Rolex Sub Ceramic that see’s most of my wrist time.
Rp930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2017, 01:44 PM   #28
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Breitling is THE chronograph watch company. Their heritage and chronograph designs pre date every one else by decades simply because they are the inventor of the modern chronograph. Most that slam Breitling have no clue how signifigant the Breitling company is in the horological world.

I just love that they are rugged and over engineered. Their chronographs are built like a diving watch with a WR that reflects this build quality. Breitlings dials are printed more clean and precise than anyone else in the business. There is a great Breitling factory tour video on YouTube to show how detailed they get in manufacturing.
I have owned just about all the big brands but currently the chronograph slot in my collection had to be a Breitling Chronomat (and yes I have owned a Daytona).
Breitling’s only marketing fault from a prestige point of view might be they have a entry level line of watches instead of just a top tier line like Rolex. Breitling top tier line of watches are a masterpiece of fit and finish and engineering and you get more watch for your money. They deserve the title as “the aviators watch.”

Very, very few chronographs look just as good on their oem rubber strap as they do their bracelet and can be used as a dive watch.

Old 17 December 2017, 07:26 PM   #29
Ruud Van Driver
"TRF" Member

Watch: Mickey Mouse
I wanted an Airwolf Raven for a long time but they were discontinued by the time I was ready to pull the trigger. I'm still jonesing for one now but I don't know enough about them (or watches in general for that matter) to buy a pre-loved one.

"Why should you allow an AD to shake you down, just so you can buy a watch" - Grady Philpott
Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Ruud Van Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2017, 03:51 AM   #30
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by 71truck View Post
My first good watch was a Breitling Superocean Steelfish. I always thought Breitling watches had more character than Rolex. I like a watch that has a look that not everyone was trying to copy on their watches. I also like the look of Omega watches that have orange bezels.
Same here, had a blue Fish and an orange PO. Breitling can make some watches look like Rolexes on acid, but they are very well made with great dial detailing and their bracelets are the best in their class as are their straps. My pilot and wannabe pilot friends aspire more to a Breitling than Rolex.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote