The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 16 July 2005, 09:43 AM   #1
molex
"TRF" Member

Feedback on my help-wanted ad please?

I placed this ad this morning, the restaurant I run needs an invigorating upload of some new faces.

I deliberately made this ad a bit agressive, in the hopes that it would attract only those people who can handle working in an environment that cna be quite stressful and hectic, which it certainly can be here.

Interestingly, I've received some negative emails saying this ad is demeaning and even rude.

Your input is very much appreciated! I need motivated people, and sort of feel like this ad will help separate the wheat from the chaff.

http://www.craigslist.org/ret/84652153.html
molex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2005, 09:57 AM   #2
alpet

Watch: me carefully
I kinda like it!!
One thing I would add is a few of the good things about working at Tylers....

Just my opinion..
alpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2005, 10:09 AM   #3
dman
Lifetime TRF Patron

Watch: the road
I like your style Micah!! I hate wasting my time sifting through some of the potential applicants that I have seen my life.

I really hope that midget cop doesn't find me in Kokomo.
dman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2005, 10:20 AM   #4
Sam

Watch: Yes...too many!!!
Looks good to me. I never knew about this Craigs List thing until a friend of mind from Boston told me about it.
Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2005, 10:38 AM   #5
molex
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpet
One thing I would add is a few of the good things about working at Tylers....
Good point, I'll update it right now, thanks! Just the kind of input I was hoping for...
Old 16 July 2005, 08:05 PM   #6
alpet

Watch: me carefully
Hey Micah...that menu sure did make my mouth water!!!
alpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2005, 02:06 AM   #7
GMTII
Banned

You'll attract alot more bees with honey than with shit. Makes it sound like they are fighting for a million-dollar position. If I was homeless and my potential boss was on a such a high horse I wouldn't even apply. JMHO since you asked.
GMTII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2005, 05:25 AM   #8
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Micah,

I do like the style of the ad, but find it just a wee bit too aggressive in parts. It's almost like you're trying to dictate terms to the applicants - Hey, it's my way or the highway!! LOL!

You might want to tone it down a bit. Just my opinion. Not sure how things work in your part of the world, but over here, some of it might be considered "rude".

Cheers - JJ

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2005, 06:39 AM   #9
molex
"TRF" Member

Good points all...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Irani
It's almost like you're trying to dictate terms to the applicants - Hey, it's my way or the highway!!
JJ, you and GMTII both make pretty much the same points that a few people who emailed me about the ad made: It sounds like I am trying to tell people what I expect, that I have a high expectation for a burger joint, and it's a bit pushy and rude.

Thing is, both of you are correct, and that's exactly what the ad is geared for. In the past, I've placed very friendly ads talking up all the cool aspects of working at Taylor's, the benefits package, etc. etc. and the responses I get have been OVERWHELMINGLY from losers and burnouts looking for a mellow job where no one really tells them what to do. I've received literally dozens of emails from people saying things like "Yeah man, I need a cool job, my boss right now is a real jerk." and "I like to take things at my own pace, and I'm super mellow with people."

Am I honestly supposed to hire someone like that? I want people to think that the job they're applying for is hard, long hours with lots of customer interaction and a ton of expectations... because that's exactly what it is. So I figured that by being up-front about it, I'd only attract the kind of strong-willed and hard-working individual who could actually stand to work on their feet for 8 to 10 hours a day without whining and moaning about it.

I guess I'll find out if it worked starting next week, when I have about 8 tryout shifts for people who responded... if I was wrong, back to the drawing board
Old 17 July 2005, 07:11 AM   #10
Rockrolex
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: What do you think?
I like it, Micah. You've made your point very clearly and I don't think it's rude at all. You are telling prospective employees exactly what you are looking for, no ifs, ands or buts about it. The only thing I might change is your characterization of the restaurant. From looking at the menu, I would say you are an upscale burger and salad restuarant with a flair. Calling it a burger "joint" somewhat defeats the flavor of the rest of the add. Just my $0.02.

Tosser Cabinet Member

Official Member: 'Perpetual 30' Vegas International GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2018
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2019
Rockrolex is offline   Reply With Quote