The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Miscellaneous Forums > Pens & Writing Instruments

Old 18 January 2010, 03:01 PM   #1
JimC
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Pilot/Namiki Capless New Old Stock

This is one of my favorites, I might contend, "my daily beater". This is the version that preceded the "modern" Pilot / Namiki "Vanishing Point" fountain pen.

A little story... I have four of these pens, from the 'original' days. But my favorite, with the black barrel and 18K fine point nib, was willfully damaged when I left the pen on my desk. "Someone" (and I always had a suspicion) who was jealous (and certainly childish) must have jammed the nib straight into the desk; it wouldn't even retract properly after that, and there was no way to straighten to where it would function. That was 10 years ago...

I was mad, but then simply mourned the loss of my pen. I was "lazy" and never pursued obtaining a new nib. The red, green, and blue barrels all have the medium nib, and it was just too broad for my note taking. I've had more than a few FPs after that, but none (even those many times more expensive) would fill the void of my lost "Capless"...

It has been long forgotten, that pen of many years ago. The other three, a green barrel (medium nib, I didn't like it) and a red barrel (medium nib, and filled with red ink), nor the blue (which I didn't care for the color, and also a medium nib) didn't fill the void. They were all cleaned and left in their original boxes, and haven't seen the light of day for years.

Ten years later... From a link on TRF, I discovered Classic Fountain Pens in LA. I saw they carried Pilot / Namiki, and even more so the "Vanishing Point" fountain pen. But, to my surprise, they even had a few NOS Pilot "Capless" pens. They appeared to be ones in a black barrel, and with the fine nib.

The listing said they only had a few left. I called the next day and spoke with David. He didn't even know they carried the NOS. I was on hold for a bit and was becoming a bit disheartened. My pessimistic side said I missed the boat.

But, David came back, and said "sure enough, we do have a few of those; I didn't know that..." So I place the order for one, plus an additional fine point nib, to replace that pen from long ago.

Fast forward a few days, and I received the pen. It was like taking a step back in time. I quickly filled the pen, and began scribbling a few notes. Slowly the pen came to life. After several pages now, "I'm back..." This is the pen I remember, albeit in a totally new body. I'll dig out the old one and replace the nib / converter, and bring it back from the dead.

Ok, so after writing with the pen for a few days, and it's really come to life, I went back to Classic Fountain Pens. I sent an email to order a second Capless, and *another* fine point nib. It was funny. Got a call. They were confused. Hey, are you making a second order, or was this a duplicate? No, please send me another. I've got to replace some of those medium nibs.

I won't take this new one out of the box but will save it, pristine, for some day when I may need to call it to service. With the additional extra FP nib, I will change out the red barrel, and fill with red ink.

Ok, I've tried the "new" Vanishing Points, and didn't like the feel or grip. Guess I am old fashioned. But the original Capless just fits my hand, and my style. My GF says I'm crazy, who needs all those pens, especially so many of the same model. Hey...! After all these years, all I can say is "just in case, just in case..." But now, I will guard these last few examples. The cost has tripled over the years, but you just can't replace it.

16610 Sub (Z serial)
16710 GMT-Master II (Coke and Pepsi) (Z serial)
16570 Explorer II (White) (F serial)
116660 Deepsea (V serial)
79270 Tudor Tiger Chrono (red dial)
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2010, 08:29 PM   #2
daveathall
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
I missed this excellent post, it seems like you have found your "Old slippers" again Jim, it really is nice to find the pen, or for that matter, any item from a lost but well remembered past that one is comfortable using, I haven't come across these pens before, but this post has stimulated an interest, possibly an expensive one.

That is a lovely and very stylish pen Jim, your pride is very evident from your post, justifiably so I might add, thank you very much for sharing your experience, beautiful pen, and stunning photography with us.

DAVE

daveathall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2010, 02:44 PM   #3
JimC
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Dave, appreciate the comments. This is, once again, my daily writer. Thanks!

16610 Sub (Z serial)
16710 GMT-Master II (Coke and Pepsi) (Z serial)
16570 Explorer II (White) (F serial)
116660 Deepsea (V serial)
79270 Tudor Tiger Chrono (red dial)
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote