The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > WatchOut!!!

Old 16 January 2022, 04:31 AM   #31
JacksonRain
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by inadeje View Post
I’m going to submit a contrarian view, even though it pains me to do so.

The 5711 and AP Chrono ST’s are also completely bonkers. In broader terms based upon perceived secondary market value of the Daytona (yes I’m going to say it) would mean that it’s UNDERVALUED at 44k’ish.

One must take a macro view of the madness, instead of singling out the Daytona. It’s probably the only way to insert any rationale into this aberration we call the current luxury watch market.

Do I agree with it? Hell no. Is it however a reality, well yes. Rejecting the existence of fact based upon historical beliefs is a sign of insanity, and to that cannot subscribe (for obvious reasons)
Well said
JacksonRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2022, 04:36 AM   #32
jamesthejeweller
"TRF" Member

Watch: PLATONA
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonRain View Post
Does it make sense at 15k ? To most of the world? Absolutely not!
That's not what I'm saying and I'm not about to start an existential and 1st world debate about the inequalities in global pay scales. I've been collecting and dealing for two decades, and every Chrono24 warrior wants to believe the prices they see on their "My Watches" tab, and it's just not real life. If you can sell your Panda for $50k next week I'll eat my own head.

Sent from my SM-N986B using Tapatalk

J-T-J
jamesthejeweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2022, 04:37 AM   #33
JacksonRain
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesthejeweller View Post
That's not what I'm saying and I'm not about to start an existential and 1st world debate about the inequalities in global pay scales. I've been collecting and dealing for two decades, and every Chrono24 warrior wants to believe the prices they see on their "My Watches" tab, and it's just not real life. If you can sell your Panda for $50k next week I'll eat my own head.

Bet
Old 16 January 2022, 04:39 AM   #34
Hollie_Rollie
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: SD43
Quote:
Originally Posted by inadeje View Post
Rejecting the existence of fact based upon historical beliefs is a sign of insanity, and to that cannot subscribe (for obvious reasons)
Don’t really have a comment on your other points but this is really well said.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hollie_Rollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2022, 04:40 AM   #35
Pw92676
"TRF" Member

I really wish there were a separate sub forum for $ talk.
Pw92676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2022, 04:41 AM   #36
Mr. K
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pw92676 View Post
That's a good idea.
Mr. K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2022, 04:46 AM   #37
SocialMediaUser
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by huncho View Post
i believe chrono has high fees so prices reflect that and also most don't actually have the watch in their possession so they're basically fishing for higher prices

i remember the same thing happened this time last year too with the green dial daytona. it went from like 60 to 90k in a few months on speculation of new releases
And that was CHEAP compared to today......
SocialMediaUser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2022, 04:48 AM   #38
SocialMediaUser
Banned

Quote:
I bet you can make one for yourself and the five (or less) other interested parties tha copy-paste the same replies over and over and over and...?

The watchbuffs of yesterday are long gone and forgotten. This is the new reality.Enjoy it and do the best that you can with the cards you are dealt.
Like it or not.
Old 16 January 2022, 05:03 AM   #39
jb335
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Cosmograph Daytona
SS Panda Daytona-C Hits 50k!

Something has been going on with the Daytona the last couple weeks. Between the leaks, the sudden jump in price and DavidSw uncharacteristically only having a couple Daytonas listed, something is in the water.

The only thing I know is, never sell a Daytona.

jb335 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2022, 05:14 AM   #40
samuel019
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Me go broke!!!!
Ok so basically there are 2 camps when it comes to the 116500

1. The ones who own it and get so excited about pricing on the secondary market and think to themselves "Hey look how well my watch is doing" and "It's only gonna get better from here"

OR

2. People who dont like the 116500 and think its over rated and not worth any price. Plus are tired of hearing about constant pricing and investment threads when it comes to the Daytona

FWIW I own a Black 500 and dont think of its value nor do I care. Not to mention it all goes back to listing versus getting on any watch thats for sale. But as one member stated that so called watchbuffs from yesterday/yesteryear are gone and this is the new norm. Kinda sad. As Padi always states a lot of people only see money and investment nowadays.
Old 16 January 2022, 05:25 AM   #41
SocialMediaUser
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by samuel019 View Post

1. The ones who own it and get so excited about pricing on the secondary market and think to themselves "Hey look how well my watch is doing" and "It's only gonna get better from here"

OR

2. People who dont like the 116500 and think its over rated and not worth any price. Plus are tired of hearing about constant pricing and investment threads when it comes to the Daytona

FWIW I own a Black 500 and dont think of its value nor do I care. Not to mention it all goes back to listing versus getting on any watch thats for sale. But as one member stated that so called watchbuffs from yesterday/yesteryear are gone and this is the new norm. Kinda sad. As Padi always states a lot of people only see money and investment nowadays.
Depends on if you embrace change or want to live in the 'Good old Days"

It would be naive,to say it kindly,to believe that if prices of Rolex AP and PP were the same as five years ago the rest of the market stock,housing,salaries etc would be as current.
I rather pay todays prices and have todays assets.

Nor do I dream about the days we travelled by horse,worked 16hrs a day in the mine and died from lungsoot at 32.
Half of the children born never saw their fifth birtday and getting a cancer diagnosis meant you were dead in a year....or less

Perhaps that is worth a moment of your time to reflect over,as you dwell about how insane the watchmarket has gotten,and how much better is was "back when"
Old 16 January 2022, 05:26 AM   #42
RazorD
"TRF" Member

I have, and love, the Daytona in black and white but would never call it a $50k watch. These prices are crazy.
RazorD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2022, 05:26 AM   #43
CarlOver
"TRF" Member

Anyone can ask what they want. Asking and selling are not the same. Those dealers want just this, someone thinking that this is the selling price.
CarlOver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2022, 05:26 AM   #44
Daytonaman799
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex, Patek
Prices on everything have taken a big jump. Pepsi is now 30ish, PP 5712 in the high 100’s PP 5726 mid 100’s. Even SD 43’s to 18ish. Day Date 18238’s well north of 20 for non exotic dials. I don’t get how or why. So the Daytona price doesn’t surprise me but that doesn’t mean that this isnt all ridiculous and out of hand. The Hobby is rapidly becoming unobtainable unless you have a great relationship with a really good AD. It’s really sad to see. I’m rapidly having to learn to love the ones I’m with….
Daytonaman799 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2022, 05:27 AM   #45
jamesthejeweller
"TRF" Member

Watch: PLATONA
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonRain View Post
Bet
I'll try and sell my JM Daytona for £87k too and we'll see where we end up. Chrono24 is make believe.

J-T-J
jamesthejeweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2022, 05:29 AM   #46
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daytonaman799 View Post
Prices on everything have taken a big jump. Pepsi is now 30ish, PP 5712 in the high 100’s PP 5726 mid 100’s. Even SD 43’s to 18ish. Day Date 18238’s well north of 20 for non exotic dials. I don’t get how or why. So the Daytona price doesn’t surprise me but that doesn’t mean that this isnt all ridiculous and out of hand. The Hobby is rapidly becoming unobtainable unless you have a great relationship with a really good AD. It’s really sad to see. I’m rapidly having to learn to love the ones I’m with….
to be fair, 18238s were severely undervalued before. 12k for a full gold day date that looks the same as a modern 36mm which retailed for 30k+. it was only a matter of time before that was reflected
huncho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2022, 05:34 AM   #47
Nav01L
"TRF" Member

Even if that’s the price, who cares? Those who have their watches because they love them don’t, they won’t sell them and those who bought their watches to flip them won’t sell either because they’re too scared of the sore feeling if it continues to gain value after they cash out. So this is entirely irrelevant when you think about it, except to those who want to buy one of these watches on the grey market. And for those I have to say, why not? If you like the watch and believe in its value, go for it.

Remember, the dignity you surrender at your AD‘s doorstep will never be recovered by wearing the watch he may get you.
Nav01L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2022, 05:35 AM   #48
JacksonRain
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by huncho View Post
to be fair, 18238s were severely undervalued before. 12k for a full gold day date that looks the same as a modern 36mm which retailed for 30k+. it was only a matter of time before that was reflected
I had a that double QS DD36 1993 circa factory diamond dial, champagne, in my hand a couple of years ago, full set with papers, at 12,400.

I CANNOT EXPRESS TO YOU HOW TIGHT THE BAND WAS, still green case back sticker, unpolished, true unpolished, turned pink in many areas...this thing was sitting in the bank for decades (reputable seller, not aftermarket band bracelet)

Anyway, I didn't get it. It would have been nice for the wife at least. You don't come by those that often.

I do find the YG pieces somewhat tacky now, however.
Old 16 January 2022, 05:36 AM   #49
10XRolex
2024 Pledge Member

[QUOTE=vh2k;11930637]I generally love your posts, brother... and I have no doubt the 116500 will/could hit $50K in a few weeks, $60K in a few months, and maybe even $75K this year.

But let’s not point to nonsense listings on C24 to indicate current market price.

Heck, at this craziness I'd have to change my mind when it comes to selling. At 75k I would be out and dancing my way to the bank.
10XRolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2022, 05:36 AM   #50
samuel019

Quote:
Originally Posted by SocialMediaUser View Post

It would be naive,to say it kindly,to believe that if prices of Rolex AP and PP were the same as five years ago the rest of the market stock,housing,salaries etc would be as current.

Nor do I dream about the days we travelled by horse,worked 16hrs a day in the mine and died from lungsoot at 32.
Half of the children born never saw their fifth birtday and getting a cancer diagnosis meant you were dead in a year....or less

Perhaps that is worth a moment of your time to reflect over,as you dwell about how insane the watchmarket has gotten,and how much better is was "back when"

Pal you totally missed my point which is easy to do on a forum when typing versus having a real conversation. We are not taking about children, cancer, horses nor the “good ol days”

I’ve been here on TRF since 2012 and then versus now the environment is much different. Maybe those type of threads from back then don’t interest you at all and that’s perfectly fine. But for some of us they do/did

That was the point.

Old 16 January 2022, 05:38 AM   #51
logo
"TRF" Member

Quote:

logo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2022, 05:45 AM   #52
Pw92676
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I bet you can make one for yourself and the five (or less) other interested parties tha copy-paste the same replies over and over and over and...?

The watchbuffs of yesterday are long gone and forgotten. This is the new reality.Enjoy it and do the best that you can with the cards you are dealt.
Like it or not.
The only sensible thing about your post is the acknowledgment you aren’t a watch buff.
Pw92676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2022, 05:54 AM   #53
ArtNouveau
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BLRO/Daytona/OP41s
Quote:
Originally Posted by samuel019 View Post

OR

You hinted at owner #3, like me. I patiently waited my turn in line to get a black 116500 from AD and wear it in regular rotation with my BLRO and Speedmaster. The resale market for them is silly, I am thoroughly amazed there are people who want one so badly they are willing to spend these prices for one.
ArtNouveau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2022, 05:59 AM   #54
samuel019

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtNouveau View Post
You hinted at owner #3, like me. I patiently waited my turn in line to get a black 116500 from AD and wear it in regular rotation with my BLRO and Speedmaster. The resale market for them is silly, I am thoroughly amazed there are people who want one so badly they are willing to spend these prices for one.
Good point. Well said.
Old 16 January 2022, 06:06 AM   #55
train-time
"TRF" Member

Watch: All gone!
If these prices are sustained in the secondary market as "value" I suspect that there will be fewer and fewer AD's just handing them out to people on "the list" at MSRP.
train-time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2022, 06:24 AM   #56
LewisHamilton#2
"TRF" Member

Watch: 6102P CELESTIAL
for me it makes no sense for the Tiffany OP to be the same price as a Daytona that's bonkers. Now the market is doing so buy increasing prices
LewisHamilton#2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2022, 06:30 AM   #57
franklee168
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN W+B DIAL
Quote:
Originally Posted by jb335 View Post
Something has been going on with the Daytona the last couple weeks. Between the leaks, the sudden jump in price and DavidSw uncharacteristically only having a couple Daytonas listed, something is in the water.

The only thing I know is, never sell a Daytona.

Definitely something going on. Asked my 16 year old last year which dial he wanted when the time came, the white or black. He said neither. Last week I asked again and he told me whichever one I wanted to give him. Young people have the inside scoop.
franklee168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2022, 06:35 AM   #58
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by franklee168 View Post
Definitely something going on. Asked my 16 year old last year which dial he wanted when the time came, the white or black. He said neither. Last week I asked again and he told me whichever one I wanted to give him. Young people have the inside scoop.
rolex/patek/ap have been getting mentions by every popular rap artist for a long time. now with rap being the most popular genre, mostly among teens/young adults, everyone has even heard of patek at this point. it's not surprising that 16 year olds know about the 3 brands now when the biggest music artists are constantly name dropping them. i'll always be of the belief that rappers (especially future and offset) started this mania in the mid 2010s
huncho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2022, 06:38 AM   #59
SocialMediaUser
Banned

Quote:
The only sensible thing about your post is the acknowledgment you aren’t a watch buff.
All depends in what you entail in the word "watchbuff".
But you might be right using your guidelines of who is and whos not
Old 16 January 2022, 06:39 AM   #60
Tensai
"TRF" Member

Watch: all the good ones
Interesting to see the price steadily rising since beginning of year.
But $50k is just not alot of money these days. Zzzzzz.
Wake me up at $250k.
Tensai is offline   Reply With Quote