The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 22 December 2023, 07:54 AM   #1
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
Help with an inherited gold watch

My step-father passed away hack in February. My mother gave me his Corum gold coin watch with full 18 kt gold bracelet pictured below.

I don't know what to do with this thing. If I'm being honest, I think it's ugly as hell and looks terrible on my wrist. It is a two hander with a quartz movement. I thought about putting it on a strap but that gonna cost me like $300 (plus cost of strap and gold pin buckle) since the bracelet needs to be removed and lugs sort of made for it since the bracelet is directly attached to the case and not removable. On top of all that it's a 35mm watch and I just don't think I'd ever wear it

So I think I want to sell it and give the proceeds to my mother. Any thoughts on this? Just sell for gold maybe? Any chance I could sell it? Any place that would broker it for me? I have no clue on the value. No box or papers either.

There's my dilemma. Any advice is appreciated.

samson66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2023, 12:09 PM   #2
Easy E
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Sock drawer
Easy E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2023, 01:07 PM   #3
Slimpee
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: DJ 41; 1803; BB Ch
Looks like a Corum $20 Coin piece.

https://www.chrono24.com/corum/20-go...id26168542.htm
Slimpee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2023, 01:14 PM   #4
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slimpee View Post
That's the one but no way is anyone going to pay that kind of money for this watch.
Old 22 December 2023, 01:22 PM   #5
Slimpee
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: DJ 41; 1803; BB Ch
Quote:
Originally Posted by samson66 View Post
That's the one but no way is anyone going to pay that kind of money for this watch.
I didn’t read your full post.

Does it have sentimental value? I think it’s kinda cool in a kitschy way.
Slimpee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2023, 06:38 PM   #6
INC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 17000B, B+W
Quote:
My mother gave me his Corum gold coin watch with full 18 kt gold bracelet pictured below.

I don't know what to do with this thing. [...]

So I think I want to sell it and give the proceeds to my mother. Any thoughts on this?
I certainly wouldn't sell anything I got as a gift from my mother.

Nevertheless, I understand your feelings, since you don't need that watch or the money, so maybe the best solution is to put it in the drawer, because it is still a part of your family heirloom.
INC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2023, 09:12 PM   #7
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

I’ve always admired these coin watches - even back before I knew anything about them.

Your dilemma is finding the right buyer.

But first, are you worried you might break your Mom’s heart if you sold it?
If so, have the conversation beforehand because the guilt afterward could be intense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2023, 10:40 PM   #8
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slimpee View Post
I didn’t read your full post.

Does it have sentimental value? I think it’s kinda cool in a kitschy way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by INC View Post
I certainly wouldn't sell anything I got as a gift from my mother.

Nevertheless, I understand your feelings, since you don't need that watch or the money, so maybe the best solution is to put it in the drawer, because it is still a part of your family heirloom.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
I’ve always admired these coin watches - even back before I knew anything about them.

Your dilemma is finding the right buyer.

But first, are you worried you might break your Mom’s heart if you sold it?
If so, have the conversation beforehand because the guilt afterward could be intense.
Thank you for the replies. So, yes it does have some sentimental value. My step father wore this watch for like 35-40 years. That is the only reason I am even thinking about keeping it.

It was less a gift from my mother than it was basically something she had no use for so she gave to me. Hard to explain, but to HER objects like that don't carry a lot of sentimental value. It's just not the way she is. If I sold it she would not be upset.

So I did take it to a jeweler/watch maker. Basically what the need to do is cut the bracelet off at the first link off the case. They kind of create lugs out of that little chunk of bracelet. The bracelet is 20mm at the lugs, but once the lugs are made I'm guessing the strap size will be in the 16-18mm range to fit. So that's not a perfect situation either.

The advantage of going the strap route is MAYBE I wear it once in a while, and I give my mother the value of the scrap gold in the bracelet.

Another option is keep it in the sock drawer as mentioned above and just sort of keep it as a memory but basically never wear it. I hate to seem practical but I just don't see the point in that. I'd rather sell it and at least my mother can benefit from the proceeds.

But that brings me to the final problem - how in the heck do I sell this thing? I have no clue on it's value and the chances of finding a buyer for anything other than the value of the gold are slim. And if I sell simply for scrap gold value it won't amount to much.

Not sure what to do at this point...
Old 22 December 2023, 11:21 PM   #9
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

One neat thing about this watch is how many Presidents have worn it. Here's is a shot of President Reagan wearing a similar curum gold coin watch.

Old 22 December 2023, 11:28 PM   #10
BLACKHORSE 6
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex SS Daytona
Interesting watch.

It sounds like throwing it in a drawer will just delay the inevitable. You’ll find it ten years from now and sell it then. Or your kids will find it many years from now and be faced with the same choice…
Unless you think one of your kids would appreciate it some day as a family heirloom, I’d recommend selling it for whatever it’s worth.
BLACKHORSE 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2023, 11:53 PM   #11
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACKHORSE 6 View Post
Interesting watch.

It sounds like throwing it in a drawer will just delay the inevitable. You’ll find it ten years from now and sell it then. Or your kids will find it many years from now and be faced with the same choice…
Unless you think one of your kids would appreciate it some day as a family heirloom, I’d recommend selling it for whatever it’s worth.
Yeah that's sort of my thinking. If I'm not going to wear it I don't see the point of just storing it. My 80 y/o mother could use the money more than I could use a watch I won't wear.

But I don't know how to sell something like this. I guess I'll take to a couple jewelry stores that buy gold and see what kind of numbers they come up with.
Old 22 December 2023, 11:53 PM   #12
1William

Watch: Rolex/Others
A cool 70-80's vibe watch. I know nothing about it.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 December 2023, 12:26 AM   #13
PhilLynott
"TRF" Member

Watch: Breguet marine
I love old coins as much as watches and always wanted to love this because of that but just couldn't.

In your situation if your mother can use the money I think that would be the route to go and it's most likely worth gold scrap. If she is doing okay with money I think your step father would love that it didn't hit the scrap pile even if it wasn't being actively worn.
Old 23 December 2023, 12:51 AM   #14
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Does it work. These were very popular in the 80's. I doubt it is worth much as a collectible but if it were me, I would keep it. The nice thing about quartz, is you wear it when you want with no setting or winding issues. It is the perfect movement for such a special occasion dressy watch maybe rarely worn.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 December 2023, 01:04 AM   #15
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calatrava r View Post
Does it work. These were very popular in the 80's. I doubt it is worth much as a collectible but if it were me, I would keep it. The nice thing about quartz, is you wear it when you want with no setting or winding issues. It is the perfect movement for such a special occasion dressy watch maybe rarely worn.
That's another issue. Yes it works but it needs a battery and I'm not sure who could even install a battery in a watch like this?
Old 23 December 2023, 01:40 AM   #16
RTG

Watch: Sky-Dweller
Quote:
One neat thing about this watch is how many Presidents have worn it. Here's is a shot of President Reagan wearing a similar curum gold coin watch.

Well, if you don't keep it after that, then there is no helping you. Display it on a shelf somewhere. Never bad to keep some extra gold on hand.
RTG is offline   Reply With Quote