The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 30 March 2021, 07:22 AM   #1
Goose 104
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126622
considering a Vertex M100

Hi all

I am fortunate enough to be able to purchase a Vertex M100 and wondered what people think of the piece. I love it but haven't tried one on. I know many people don't like the price and the sales model, but putting that aside (I am not worried about resale value) what other comments do you have? I love the 3d numerals but I guess they could be divisive.

Review here:
https://www.ablogtowatch.com/vertex-m100-watch-review/

Many thanks
Old 30 March 2021, 08:11 PM   #2
stevedssd
"TRF" Member

I have an MP45, so not an exact comparison but the modern Vertex are very well made and the lume is awesome. Some people say they are over priced but the quality is only really apparent if you have one. I would say the price is top of what is reasonable rather than excessive.........and if you have access to purchase an M100 through previous military service, then IMO it is a very fitting tribute to that service.
stevedssd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2021, 06:09 AM   #3
Goose 104
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevedssd View Post
I have an MP45, so not an exact comparison but the modern Vertex are very well made and the lume is awesome. Some people say they are over priced but the quality is only really apparent if you have one. I would say the price is top of what is reasonable rather than excessive.........and if you have access to purchase an M100 through previous military service, then IMO it is a very fitting tribute to that service.
Thank you for the reply and your views. I think that chimes with my feelings - it seems to be a very well made piece. The lack of hacking is one thing that might frustrate but then I suppose the original Cal 59 didnt hack either.

How does the MP45 sit on wrist (I have a flatish 7 inch wrist)?
Old 1 April 2021, 05:42 AM   #4
stevedssd
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goose 104 View Post
Thank you for the reply and your views. I think that chimes with my feelings - it seems to be a very well made piece. The lack of hacking is one thing that might frustrate but then I suppose the original Cal 59 didnt hack either.

How does the MP45 sit on wrist (I have a flatish 7 inch wrist)?
I have a 7.25 inch wrist and the 40mm size is really good, not sure of the lug to lug measurement I wear mine mainly on the Vertex Rubber Strap. That's a shame re lack of hacking but I have a Zenith El Primero and three Speedmasters that don't hack and you kind of get used to it.
Old 1 April 2021, 05:51 AM   #5
stevedssd
"TRF" Member

PS looks like the size is pretty much the same as your 126622, 48mm lug-to-lug on the Vertex compared to 47mm on the Yacht Master
Old 1 April 2021, 05:59 AM   #6
Goose 104
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I have a 7.25 inch wrist and the 40mm size is really good, not sure of the lug to lug measurement I wear mine mainly on the Vertex Rubber Strap. That's a shame re lack of hacking but I have a Zenith El Primero and three Speedmasters that don't hack and you kind of get used to it.
Thanks - really helpful. How do you find the Vertex rubber strap? I like the look of it and was thinking of adding it to the order.

If it is about the same size as my Yacht-Master then it will wear really well
Old 2 April 2021, 05:49 AM   #7
stevedssd
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thanks - really helpful. How do you find the Vertex rubber strap? I like the look of it and was thinking of adding it to the order.

If it is about the same size as my Yacht-Master then it will wear really well
The Vertex Rubber strap is really nice, vulcanised rubber and very comfortable. If you want the rubber strap I'd ask DOM if he could include it with the watch. He sent me three free Nato's with mine without asking, so I'm sure he would be willing to discuss.
Old 5 April 2021, 05:38 PM   #8
Goose 104
"TRF" Member

Quote:
The Vertex Rubber strap is really nice, vulcanised rubber and very comfortable. If you want the rubber strap I'd ask DOM if he could include it with the watch. He sent me three free Nato's with mine without asking, so I'm sure he would be willing to discuss.
Thanks - good idea, I will have a chat with Don
Old 7 April 2021, 07:10 PM   #9
Only70Watch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Hi all

I am fortunate enough to be able to purchase a Vertex M100 and wondered what people think of the piece. I love it but haven't tried one on. I know many people don't like the price and the sales model, but putting that aside (I am not worried about resale value) what other comments do you have? I love the 3d numerals but I guess they could be divisive.

Review here:
https://www.ablogtowatch.com/vertex-m100-watch-review/

Many thanks
Happy M100 owner here. What I find most unique about it is that it's quite thin for its diameter with a large and spectacular dial. No word hasn't been said about the lume or the 3D hour markers, so let's talk about the movement. There's something very satisfying about a buttery smooth winding action that you gotta do every morning. It's a joy to wind the M100. And even though I have over a dozen manual-wound watches, nothing is as smooth as the M100 in my collection.

I also love that it's a strap monster: leather, NATO, Zulu, even rubber looks stunning on it. But the most fitting strap (IMHO) for Vertex watches are the ones made by Darren, the Zulu Alpha Straps. Especially the VE-75 and ZA0319 models.

I'm not sure if price is any concern in your decision. To me it seemed steep at first, but then I realized there's no point in comparing the M100 with any mass-produced Swiss or German watches. Completely different kind of beast targeting a very specific audience.
Only70Watch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2021, 08:51 PM   #10
Goose 104
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Only70Watch View Post
Happy M100 owner here. What I find most unique about it is that it's quite thin for its diameter with a large and spectacular dial. No word hasn't been said about the lume or the 3D hour markers, so let's talk about the movement. There's something very satisfying about a buttery smooth winding action that you gotta do every morning. It's a joy to wind the M100. And even though I have over a dozen manual-wound watches, nothing is as smooth as the M100 in my collection.

I also love that it's a strap monster: leather, NATO, Zulu, even rubber looks stunning on it. But the most fitting strap (IMHO) for Vertex watches are the ones made by Darren, the Zulu Alpha Straps. Especially the VE-75 and ZA0319 models.

I'm not sure if price is any concern in your decision. To me it seemed steep at first, but then I realized there's no point in comparing the M100 with any mass-produced Swiss or German watches. Completely different kind of beast targeting a very specific audience.
Thanks so much - that is really helpful. Great to hear you are a happy owner. Just check out the Zulu Alpha straps and they look great! Also great to hear that the manual wind is a pleasure to use - I do enjoy the interaction with my manual wind watches so I think that is a real positive.

Price is a concern yes but the more I have looked into Vertex and what Don is doing the more impressed I am and I know it is a unique piece. It is definitely at the upper end of what I would consider for that type of watch but then again - Black Bays are everywhere for a similar price and yet these are much more rare and special so I think given a choice of another Tudor (I have too many!) or this I would want the M100.
Old 14 June 2021, 09:21 AM   #11
asiafish
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Milgauss GV
Another M100 buyer

Quote:
Thanks so much - that is really helpful. Great to hear you are a happy owner. Just check out the Zulu Alpha straps and they look great! Also great to hear that the manual wind is a pleasure to use - I do enjoy the interaction with my manual wind watches so I think that is a real positive.

Price is a concern yes but the more I have looked into Vertex and what Don is doing the more impressed I am and I know it is a unique piece. It is definitely at the upper end of what I would consider for that type of watch but then again - Black Bays are everywhere for a similar price and yet these are much more rare and special so I think given a choice of another Tudor (I have too many!) or this I would want the M100.
Don is a pleasure to talk to and an overall great guy.

I spent much of this weekend emailing back and forth with him after clicking on the “contact” link on the Vertex website. I’m a currently serving military officer (US Army) and not only did he promptly send me an unlock code for the M100, but offered a discount that I didn’t ask for said that he would throw in a few straps that he thought would look good with my uniform.

I’d been looking at modern “Dirty Dozen” recreations for a few months now and finally decided to buy. The Timor is also promising, though back-ordered through the fall. They too have a military discount and I will seriously consider placing my order once they unlock it (probably Monday). Timor’s is period-correct 36mm, comes in both manual and automatic (why would anyone want automatic?), though the case finish is more modern and industrial looking than the original WWWs.

There’s also the Vaer, a micro-brand I’d only heard of from sponsored posts on FaceBook, but they too are getting good reviews and their A12 Dirty Dozen version 2 is 36mm case, the same ETA 7001 movement as the Vertex and sells for $900 and also has a military discount mentioned on their website. The only things really “wrong” with the Vaer are that it lacks the broad arrow and of course the name on the dial.

Of all of them though, the Vertex M100 is the one I expect to cherish, and I’lll likely get either the Vaer or the Timor for a less expensive 36mm option for actual field use. I have no doubt that the Vertex is up for rough use, but it looks so nice that I’ll reserve it for garrison duty, and of course retirement.
asiafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2021, 09:21 PM   #12
Goose 104
"TRF" Member

Thanks for all the information. The update from me is that I bought the M100 some weeks back and forgot to update this thread (apologies, I created a separate incoming thread https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/top...ink_source=app)

You are absolutely right about Don - he is a great guy and a real gent. He also offered me a discount without me asking and gave some extra straps.

I have to say I am absolutely delighted with the watch and it is so versatile, on the various straps. I wear it everywhere and it has become my new default work watch. It is so good on the wrist - surprisingly thin and is especially comfortable on the rubber strap.

I have no regrets at all and have really bonded with the watch. I am also super impressed with all that Vertex are doing.

Here are a few pictures

Tags
m100 , military , vertex , ww2 , www