The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 18 February 2021, 06:21 PM   #91
Sulituan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
Also, Lange got hit hard with a 50% production reduction last year due to the pandemic. That's pretty harsh.
Oh wow, thanks for sharing this number. Did this come from an interview or article?
Sulituan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2021, 07:05 PM   #92
deezee
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiscott_29 View Post
I definitely feel there are fewer Langes out there. But I have no statistical evidence and basically say this based only what I see on C24 and the dealers I follow.

I think many ADs have stopped selling direct to dealers because there are more customers going through the retail channel and discounts have moderated. But I think the big factor might be that several dealers are holding their Lange models back in anticipation of higher demand and higher prices. In general, dealers pay crap for Langes so they can absolutely afford to buy and hold.

There’s zero doubt that some of the big players (i.e., WatchBox) are trying to hype Lange and repeat what has occurred with FPJ. We will see what happens...

Agree. I’m not finding any shortages at AD level. Models are available even after cuts. They can easily be bought at 15-25% discount new. Then you still take a hit if you sell to any jeweler.

So assume you bought the watch new for 34k after your 25% discount, (plus sales tax) you then go to any of the dealers mentioned above, they won’t give you more then 24k for it as the want to sell for 30k pre owned. So you still taking a 12k hit on something you bought right,
because you got a 25% discount. It crazy how it depreciates.

Now, I know we don’t buy these watches to sell but rather to enjoy, however you have to think that someday if you do need cash, it would at least hold value somewhat. Really sad it doesn’t. You really need to commit before buying any of these Lange
deezee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2021, 07:11 PM   #93
illiguy
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deezee View Post
Agree. I’m not finding any shortages at AD level. Models are available even after cuts. They can easily be bought at 15-25% discount new. Then you still take a hit if you sell to any jeweler.

So assume you bought the watch new for 34k after your 25% discount, (plus sales tax) you then go to any of the dealers mentioned above, they won’t give you more then 24k for it as the want to sell for 30k pre owned. So you still taking a 12k hit on something you bought right,

Now, I know we don’t buy these watches to sell but rather to enjoy, however you have to think that someday if you do need cash, it would at least hold value somewhat. Really sad it doesn’t. You really need to commit before buying any of these Lange
With ALS, if you buy second hand, you take out a lot of the initial hit, and the “value” comes from pure enjoyment of an incredibly well-made, well-finished, piece of high horology. Economic value retention is relevant, but I’d venture a guess that most ALS owners here simply love the watches they have, first and foremost.

A nice change from the Rolex madness.
illiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2021, 10:14 PM   #94
Dj_masse
"TRF" Member

Watch: ALS Lange 1 Daymat
A. Lange & Sohne 2nd hand market

Quote:
Originally Posted by deezee View Post

Speaking from experience, some areas are already firming on price as well. My local AD in Canada has pretty much everything in stock, and so I was interested in a WG Saxonia thin....you can buy those any day of the week. The most they would budge is 10%, and she was non committal until she spoke to her “manager”. And this is after I’ve already bought a few AP’s and Rolexes from them through the years. Felt like I was buying a car. Told her thank you and I moved on.

TL;DR I bought the Saxonia Thin from Crown And Caliber for 45% off retail and a Lange 1 Daymatic for about the same amount off msrp from a fellow collector. Second hand is def the way to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rolex 16570 (Polar)
Dj_masse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2021, 12:14 AM   #95
deezee
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dj_masse View Post
Speaking from experience, some areas are already firming on price as well. My local AD in Canada has pretty much everything in stock, and so I was interested in a WG Saxonia thin....you can buy those any day of the week. The most they would budge is 10%, and she was non committal until she spoke to her “manager”. And this is after I’ve already bought a few AP’s and Rolexes from them through the years. Felt like I was buying a car. Told her thank you and I moved on.

TL;DR I bought the Saxonia Thin from Crown And Caliber for 45% off retail and a Lange 1 Daymatic for about the same amount off msrp from a fellow collector. Second hand is def the way to go.

That’s definitely the way to go. 45% off list that nice. I’m trying to buy that way but don’t see any available. Where is a good place to look where collectors may list them?
deezee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2021, 01:06 PM   #96
PaulFL
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell996 View Post
Or bright red.

Amazing looking strap, is it rubber like the orange one? Did you order it online or had to go into one of their stores?
PaulFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2021, 06:23 PM   #97
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulFL View Post
Amazing looking strap, is it rubber like the orange one? Did you order it online or had to go into one of their stores?
This is a treated leather rather than rubber and was ordered online from Camille Fournet. I wouldn’t swim with this strap.
Russell996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2021, 03:06 AM   #98
chiscott_29
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex, ALS, Omega
I was bored the other night and spent some time on C24. It seems like most ALS models are now “yellow” or “red”, which basically means the dealer doesn’t have the watch and they have to call up the AD that’s willing to sell it to them. There isn’t much out there, at all.

Even those with a “green” indication didn’t turn up anything...I contacted two dealers and I got “Sorry, it just sold” and “I can’t honor that price”.

The pickings are getting thin on the secondary market, which could be a strong indication that prices are headed north.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 22 February 2021, 03:17 AM   #99
jschmidtdmd
"TRF" Member

I think we will see a dramatic shift and strengthening as they introduce all the new stuff this year that's boutique only.
Old 12 April 2021, 06:11 AM   #100
jpwv
Banned

I am headed to San Francisco in May and was hoping to pick up an 1815 Up/Down. Any idea what the discounts are these days? Per the posts in this thread, it used to be 15-25%, but someone said they could only get 10%. Any other experiences in the last couple months?
jpwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2021, 06:16 AM   #101
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

My guess is now 0%. If you are really lucky, 10%

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
JR16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2021, 06:37 AM   #102
WatchEater666
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpwv View Post
I am headed to San Francisco in May and was hoping to pick up an 1815 Up/Down. Any idea what the discounts are these days? Per the posts in this thread, it used to be 15-25%, but someone said they could only get 10%. Any other experiences in the last couple months?
Now it seems to be 0%. I can't believe how lucky I got buying my Zeitwerk lol
WatchEater666 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2021, 07:12 AM   #103
jed11
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpwv View Post
In the Bay Area, these days, it's going to be tough to get anything. I lucked out with mine just a couple of years ago but it will be tough today. Especially for the Up/Down which, while still a lot of $$$, sort of the middle of the pricing tier in the Lange catalog.
jed11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2021, 07:32 AM   #104
justcruisin
"TRF" Member

I’m in the same market as jed11. On 1815UD, no discount outside of maybe some savings on tax depending on how you pay. I think if you go up to Lange 1, there may be some additional...but not much. My Lange 1 MP, no tax and 10% off.
justcruisin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2021, 08:00 AM   #105
jpwv
Banned

I appreciate the replies. At $31.8k msrp I will have to check with my grey contact prior to considering the AD route any further. I seem to remember a much higher discount from him last time we spoke. I have not checked in a few months though.

Also, I just checked Chrono24. An 1815 U/D is posted for $25,800. Supposedly brand new and unworn. Purchased in Feb 2021. Seller said he will take $24,800.

It is confusing to me why an AD would apparently sell this to a grey dealer for less than $24,800, but would not sell the same watch to me at a discount. I know the grey buys volume, but if you have a sale right in front of your face with a potential long-term customer.
jpwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2021, 06:56 PM   #106
CastorKrieg
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, PP
I noticed lately ALS prices on the secondary market have been going up, I don't know if it's the brand appreciation, the pandemic, the QE bubble that shows no sign of stopping, or all of them together. Datograph went from 55k to 75k EUR, Saxonia still shows at -30% from retail, but at the same time no guarantee these prices will be honored. For 5k difference to retail I would rather go to the boutique, buy there and have a shot at the Odysseus in 2-3 years time.
CastorKrieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2021, 07:06 PM   #107
S``
"TRF" Member

1 word: Watchbox.

After their success with FPJ, Lange is their next target.

They started their "assault" with the hiring of Langepedia recently
S`` is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2021, 07:54 PM   #108
Hafez
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiscott_29 View Post
I’ve been told that Lange boutiques have stopped discounts. I am not sure if that applies evenly to all customers, but they are most definitely harder to come by.

ADs I think I’ve seen some other posts on here suggesting you can still get 10 to 15%, but I don’t have any personal experience.

Personally, I think this is going to be a tough sell because the fact remains Lange’s still lag in the secondary market. Of course, if Lange starts getting even half of the attention of something like Journe this will change overnight.

But for now, if you look on C24 you might believe prices have firmed. But, that’s an illusion. Try selling a Lange to somebody like WatchBox, European, or one of the other larger dealers. You’ll see what I mean.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You are 100:/: right. I don’t get the comparison btw Lange and Journe. The later still makes all his complications personally hand made. Lange produces over 3500 watches a year.

Hafez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2021, 07:57 PM   #109
GreenLantern
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hafez View Post
You are 100:/: right. I don’t get the comparison btw Lange and Journe. The later still makes all his complications personally hand made. Lange produces over 3500 watches a year.
Lange movements are hand made too.

FP Journe does not make his complications himself (he hasn't done that for at least 15-18 years). He has a staff of watchmakers.

Forgive me, but Lange finishing makes Journe's finishing look weak.

Lange's finishing makes Patek's finishing look weak, too.

(And yes, I respect and appreciate both Patek and Journe.)
GreenLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2021, 07:58 PM   #110
GreenLantern
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by S`` View Post
1 word: Watchbox.

After their success with FPJ, Lange is their next target.

They started their "assault" with the hiring of Langepedia recently
Wow. They bought Langepedia?
GreenLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2021, 08:59 PM   #111
Langepedia
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Wow. They bought Langepedia?
Hello Sir - Langepedia here haha.

No, we ventured into a partnership, which you can see some details in my IG post from 8th of April.

Best,
Alp
Langepedia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2021, 10:35 PM   #112
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langepedia View Post
Hello Sir - Langepedia here haha.

No, we ventured into a partnership, which you can see some details in my IG post from 8th of April.

Best,
Alp
And what an amazing resource you have built at Langepedia.com.
Russell996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2021, 03:41 AM   #113
watchucallit
"TRF" Member

Could not agree more
Quote:
Lange movements are hand made too.

FP Journe does not make his complications himself (he hasn't done that for at least 15-18 years). He has a staff of watchmakers.

Forgive me, but Lange finishing makes Journe's finishing look weak.

Lange's finishing makes Patek's finishing look weak, too.

(And yes, I respect and appreciate both Patek and Journe.)
watchucallit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2021, 04:15 AM   #114
justcruisin
"TRF" Member

I recall someone asking me to consider the Lange 1 Darth last year when I was first looking at ALS. Curious since EWC JUST listed one at $54.5k (on hold almost immediately), but there was a listing by DavidSW in 2019 that was for $23k - all with box and papers. Reference 101.035. Talk about firming up on prices......assuming it does go for $54.5k.
Old 22 April 2021, 04:20 AM   #115
edhahn44
"TRF" Member

There is definitely a steep upward trend visible for some references (Darth, closed case back L1, first gen chrono, first gen dato, etc.) and a general increase in prices for Lange on the secondary market.

edhahn44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2021, 05:33 AM   #116
CFR
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justcruisin View Post
I recall someone asking me to consider the Lange 1 Darth last year when I was first looking at ALS. Curious since EWC JUST listed one at $54.5k (on hold almost immediately), but there was a listing by DavidSW in 2019 that was for $23k - all with box and papers. Reference 101.035. Talk about firming up on prices......assuming it does go for $54.5k.
Was that me who suggested the Darth lol? I kinda like the Darth but have never owned one. :)

EWC can command somewhat higher prices than many other dealers in part because they have a large, loyal, wealthy clientele that doesn't want or need to look elsewhere. Govberg/Watchbox may be the same way to some extent, though I'm not so familiar with them. Smaller dealers like DavidSW (other than for modern Rolex pieces) will get less.

A complicating factor is that we never know how much the customer actually paid unless the customer is one of us and tells us here on the forum. It's often the case that these watches aren't sold for cash but instead change hands as partial trades, with other pieces involved, which makes valuations much more complicated. All I can say for sure is that $23.4K USD for a complete Darth in 2019 was a low price (but not by much), and $54.5K today seems like a high price, but if a platinum Datograph 410.035 can actually sell for about $80K then maybe not!
CFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2021, 02:07 PM   #117
justcruisin
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFR View Post
Was that me who suggested the Darth lol? I kinda like the Darth but have never owned one. :)
I believe so...and guessed that the price would go up steeply...which it seems like it has. That said, just an interesting data point because the help that you and other forum members gave me on the 192.032 makes me absolutely happiest with this reference, no matter the value of any of the others in the Lange 1 family.
Old 24 April 2021, 12:44 AM   #118
liu_watch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justcruisin View Post

This is just a theory/speculation:

EWC lists incoming watches under the “Incoming” tab for quite a few days without listing prices. Some of which are sold during the time through private inquiries. Then they move every listing, sold or unsold, to the New Arrival tab. The ones that were already sold will appear as “immediately sold”, for which they can list any price they wish. This may be also why we see some pieces are immediately sold/ on hold at astronomical prices.
liu_watch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2021, 02:17 AM   #119
justcruisin
"TRF" Member

I probably camp out on the EWC site more than I care to admit, but I noticed this last week...they cycle out the pieces that stay stagnant.
Old 24 April 2021, 07:53 AM   #120
vitalsigns
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by liu_watch View Post
This is just a theory/speculation:

EWC lists incoming watches under the “Incoming” tab for quite a few days without listing prices. Some of which are sold during the time through private inquiries. Then they move every listing, sold or unsold, to the New Arrival tab. The ones that were already sold will appear as “immediately sold”, for which they can list any price they wish. This may be also why we see some pieces are immediately sold/ on hold at astronomical prices.
I suspect something a bit fishy as well. The vast price increases coupled with immediate "On Holds" followed by prompt sales looks suspect.
vitalsigns is offline   Reply With Quote