The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Panerai Discussion Forum

Old 8 May 2007, 09:02 AM   #1
Jman604
"TRF" Member

Panerai...are they worth it?

Im looking for a panerai submersible and do you think the price is justified by the watch? I mean, they are a very good sturdy watch but paying $5,000-$7,000 worth it?

I love the submersible the first time I saw it. I should've told my fiance (gf at the time) 2 years ago when she was in Florence to buy me the submersible for $3,000. Im kicking myself now cuz' the price was great.

My friend can get 33% off on panerai's at Tourneau in CT, so I might have him buy one for me.
Jman604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2007, 09:10 AM   #2
Launch Mini
"TRF" Member

Watch: can I?
IMO no.
I would get roasted on a Panerai board for saying that.
5-7K is pretty steep, that almost gets you into a Special Edition.
I am not a big fan of the Panerai Sub's, but others love them.
Try www. paneristi.com under the Collectors Market, you should be able to see decent pre owned ones for more reasonable pricing.
For the number of Panerai Sub's, I have heard too many stories of loose bezels etc
As for the mechanics, they would be the same as any other automatic Panerai. Very reliable etc etc.
Just my opinion.

Member # 293
Launch Mini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2007, 09:14 AM   #3
amanda
Banned

The only Submersible I'd ever buy is the old version of the 24 with the polished bezel - the bezel is much smaller.

As LM said - go to the CM on paneristi.com I'd buy an SE or other model for that kinda cash... but go with what you want obviously!!!! If you love the Sub go for it... theres quite a fan base on paneristi.com you'll fit right in.

On TRF you'll not get the support you need to help make a decision... good luck and have fun most of all!
amanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2007, 09:19 AM   #4
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jman604 View Post
Im looking for a panerai submersible and do you think the price is justified by the watch? I mean, they are a very good sturdy watch but paying $5,000-$7,000 worth it?

I love the submersible the first time I saw it. I should've told my fiance (gf at the time) 2 years ago when she was in Florence to buy me the submersible for $3,000. Im kicking myself now cuz' the price was great.

My friend can get 33% off on panerai's at Tourneau in CT, so I might have him buy one for me.
Well, all I can say is if you really love the watch....then go for it. After all, it's you who's going to be wearing it. Try and get yourself a good deal and I'm sure you'll be happy with it.

Good luck - JJ

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2007, 09:40 AM   #5
Jman604
"TRF" Member

Totally agree with you guys. Alot of people have been telling me to fetch the panerai that I want or else I won't see it again for a long long time!
Old 8 May 2007, 10:27 AM   #6
C.J.
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amanda View Post
The only Submersible I'd ever buy is the old version of the 24 with the polished bezel - the bezel is much smaller.

As LM said - go to the CM on paneristi.com I'd buy an SE or other model for that kinda cash... but go with what you want obviously!!!! If you love the Sub go for it... theres quite a fan base on paneristi.com you'll fit right in.

On TRF you'll not get the support you need to help make a decision... good luck and have fun most of all!
I don't think that's true, amanda. On TRF, Panerai, as well as, pretty much every other brand is appreciated and supported. I can recall a great deal of threads, the purchase of your long awaited 005 included, where a member had purchased a Panerai and received a very positive and supportive response. We have several knowledgeable Panerai owners and paneristi here to help, as well.
Old 8 May 2007, 10:59 AM   #7
amanda
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.J. View Post
I don't think that's true, amanda. On TRF, Panerai, as well as, pretty much every other brand is appreciated and supported. I can recall a great deal of threads, the purchase of your long awaited 005 included, where a member had purchased a Panerai and received a very positive and supportive response. We have several knowledgeable Panerai owners and paneristi here to help, as well.
As I just said to you via PM... as far as my knowledge goes nobody on this site owns a Submersible SO with that, I'd say he'd get more info elsewhere... I was not implying that people are not supportive of the brand on TRF.

I hope I am now understood.

thankyou
Old 8 May 2007, 11:00 AM   #8
Launch Mini
"TRF" Member

Watch: can I?
NOw, I have just shot myelf in the foot here. Famous last words of not getting a certian watch will ultimately mean a Panerai Sub is in my future.
Since I have just about all the models coverd so far, a Sub would complete my line up.
BUT, 5-7K is pretty high. I could get a BNIB In Canadian dollars for that range.
1/3 off, you talking better deal.

Member # 293
Launch Mini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2007, 11:02 AM   #9
amanda
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jman604 View Post
Totally agree with you guys. Alot of people have been telling me to fetch the panerai that I want or else I won't see it again for a long long time!
Thats very true jman - you'll find a great used one with some hunting around and save yourself some bucks. Trust me, once you own a brand new watch and wear it for a week it will end up in the same condition as the slighly used one anyways!
Old 8 May 2007, 11:51 AM   #10
dman
Lifetime TRF Patron

Watch: the road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Launch Mini View Post
IMO no.
I would get roasted on a Panerai board for saying that.
5-7K is pretty steep, that almost gets you into a Special Edition.
I am not a big fan of the Panerai Sub's, but others love them.
Try www. paneristi.com under the Collectors Market, you should be able to see decent pre owned ones for more reasonable pricing.
For the number of Panerai Sub's, I have heard too many stories of loose bezels etc
As for the mechanics, they would be the same as any other automatic Panerai. Very reliable etc etc.
Just my opinion.
Lot of good points John, but make sure you don't include the 190 or 233 in that talk.

But for my money, they go towards the brand, just out of enjoyment of the watch. I wear it simply cause I enjoy em more than any other that I have tried, and that is alot.

Give me my 190 any day of the week as my only and I am a happy chappy.

And since the G series the bezel problems have totally disappeared, they are tight as a drum for sure.

Quote:

I can think of more than just a few people that were turned on to Panerai via this site, LM being a perfect example. How you can say there is no support for the brand is beyond me.

I really hope that midget cop doesn't find me in Kokomo.
dman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2007, 11:53 AM   #11
dman
Lifetime TRF Patron

Quote:
As I just said to you via PM... as far as my knowledge goes nobody on this site owns a Submersible SO with that, I'd say he'd get more info elsewhere... I was not implying that people are not supportive of the brand on TRF.

thankyou
Don't own one now, but I have owned 3 different ones in my life, got I need a new hobby.

2 x 24
2 x 25
1 x 87

Really like having a bezel to play with, but I think the only submersible I would look at personally now is the 243, sub in a fiddy case....YUMMY.

Old 8 May 2007, 11:54 AM   #12
dman
Lifetime TRF Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Launch Mini View Post
NOw, I have just shot myelf in the foot here. Famous last words of not getting a certian watch will ultimately mean a Panerai Sub is in my future.
Since I have just about all the models coverd so far, a Sub would complete my line up.
BUT, 5-7K is pretty high. I could get a BNIB In Canadian dollars for that range.
1/3 off, you talking better deal.
Forget the 212/213 mate, go for the 243!!!

I love spending your money bro.

Old 8 May 2007, 11:56 AM   #13
C.J.
"TRF" Member

Quote:

thankyou

Oh, I think you're understood, amanda. As far as your responses are concerned, this one is worded quite a bit differently than the first. In your first response when you said "On TRF you'll not get the support you need to help make a decision..." it sounded quite a bit different then this one.

The rendition you offered this time makes it sound as though the author will receive more knowledgeable answers in a forum that specializes in this particular brand of watch. In that point, you are probably correct. Your first rendition sounded as though you were telling the author that he/she wouldn't receive support needed to make a decision.

I think your choice of wording in each response made each have a different sounding meaning. But, now that you've reworded your answer, yes, you're now understood.
Old 8 May 2007, 12:38 PM   #14
leopardprey
Banned

Watch: Panerai 233
Personnally I think Panerais are overpriced. But, there is a big market right now and they are selling all they make.

Second, be sure you check out the watch first. Some do not like how you can feel the rotar vibrate on your wrist.

Third, make sure you try on the watch first. Panerais are very big watches. IF you are looking at at 44mm or bigger, IMHO will not look right on your wrist unless you are over 6' 3" or so, 300 pounds, over 8" wrist or are going to be wearing strapped to outside of a diving dry suit or arctic coldweather gear. I see many here in Asia with 44 mm Panerais on their wrist and it looks silly as the lugs hang over their wrist - kind of like some hip hop fashion trend or something. For some reason, I think Japanese Fashion influence, Large watches -especially amongst the ladies is really the trend in Asia right now.

If the watch fits you well and you like the look, functions, and feel then go for it! One thing nice about the Panerais, at least here in Asia, very easy to resell and do not loose much value.

Last edited by leopardprey; 8 May 2007 at 10:46 PM..
leopardprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2007, 06:20 PM   #15
chris_nor_cal
"TRF" Member

i've been off and on with panerai. but now I like the way the look. but i think 5k is out of the question for me personally. if they were priced like omegas I'd probably pick one up.
Old 8 May 2007, 09:46 PM   #16
amanda
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.J. View Post
Your first rendition sounded as though you were telling the author that he/she wouldn't receive support needed to make a decision.

I think your choice of wording in each response made each have a different sounding meaning. But, now that you've reworded your answer, yes, you're now understood.
Sorry, I'm just really tired... and not putting the effort into responses like I normally do - thats why I'm getting in trouble.

Anyways, Submersibles are not as popular as the Luminors and Radiomirs, so to some extent I did mean that he'd get a better response on the paneristi forum than here on TRF... its always best to go to the horses mouth right? I didnt mean anything bad by my comment, it just wasnt thought out.

I forgot dman owned one of every model of Panerai at one time or another he's a legend!!! I'm just jealous hehehe sorry dman, didnt mean to offend you either ok.....
Old 9 May 2007, 02:31 AM   #17
Jman604
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman View Post
Forget the 212/213 mate, go for the 243!!!

I love spending your money bro.
I was at their AD yesterday and had a 243 hidden at the back. Very very nice piece. Still thinking about it.
Old 9 May 2007, 03:16 AM   #18
Welshwatchman
"TRF" Member

If you can get hold of Panerai watches at 33% off RRP then you have the opportunity of selling these on at a 7-10% profit.
Old 9 May 2007, 01:24 PM   #19
dman
Lifetime TRF Patron

Quote:

I forgot dman owned one of every model of Panerai at one time or another he's a legend!!! I'm just jealous hehehe sorry dman, didnt mean to offend you either ok.....
Can't offend me, I am still searching for a few 47mm's that I have not yet owned, LOL! It is almost sad how many I have gone through. I would post all the numbers, but carpel tunnel would set in from all that typing.

Old 9 May 2007, 05:21 PM   #20
amanda
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman View Post
Can't offend me, I am still searching for a few 47mm's that I have not yet owned, LOL! It is almost sad how many I have gone through. I would post all the numbers, but carpel tunnel would set in from all that typing.

Old 9 May 2007, 06:09 PM   #21
djemmtee
"TRF" Member

Watch: LV Sub
dman is right! 243 is a SLEEPER, its a sub in a 1950 case. After owning my first 44mm 1950 case watch, I will not wear anything thats not 1950!

Instagram: rolexfan69
djemmtee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2007, 10:42 PM   #22
Nick Hacko
Banned

Last edited by Nick Hacko; 4 September 2007 at 07:06 AM..
Nick Hacko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2007, 04:18 AM   #23
dman
Lifetime TRF Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Hacko View Post
I am so totally cold about Submersible. Had 3 or 4, and was never tempted even for one second to try it on my wrist. I would open the box, checked content, paperwork etc and that was it. When the last one was gone I thanked Lord and promised never to buy another Submersible.

My PAM choice is PAM089, 088, 090 and Daylight Chrono.
Is this because of the look, feel or other?

The 243 is a totally different animal with the new case and style.

Old 11 May 2007, 08:17 AM   #24
Nick Hacko
Banned

Last edited by Nick Hacko; 4 September 2007 at 07:06 AM..
Nick Hacko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2007, 12:12 PM   #25
dman
Lifetime TRF Patron

Nick, I have seen this problem on one 64(a submersible model) but I thought it was attributed to the T dials. I had a 5513 that was way worse than my 87 when it came to the dial "rotting" to patina.

Old 11 May 2007, 12:40 PM   #26
Henry T
"TRF" Member

Do shop around. If you love the watch and not paying more than the general public, why not.

If you are asking the intrinsic value, then it is a difficult question to answer.
Old 11 May 2007, 12:50 PM   #27
Jman604
"TRF" Member

I just bought a normal PAM 24. I hope I get it on Saturday.

I tried on the 243 and I love it. If they only gave a little discount, I might consider it. I never like paying retail for anything hahahaha unless it's worth it.

The 250 is a pretty good watch too. Looks like a daytona
Old 13 May 2007, 01:27 AM   #28
montecristo
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116234 DateJust
Look at the size of that thing, dollar to size wise you are getting a good bang for the buck.

j/k, I like them but don't think I like their submersibles.
montecristo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2007, 12:31 PM   #29
Cori

All Panerai's are worth it, you don't see them making a million watches a year! You just can't go into the shop and get any Panerai model you like, unlike some other brands.
Cori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2007, 12:41 PM   #30
Shiny

I view Panerai as a fad, a large, unsightly, fad, nothing more. They will never stand the test of time as Rolex has. Esthetically, they're rather displeasing and they seem to fail horribly in a practical sense, as their size and weight is a burden to the wearer. I believe that followers of this brand will soon wish they had made wiser investments in more established brands. Just my opinion here, ladies and gentleman.

Regards,
Shiny is offline   Reply With Quote